80's public diary entry: some big news

Jetsfan80

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah its awesome.  One of the best-kept secrets as far as beach towns go.

Totally off topic, congrats for you guys, but I've heard a lot about Wilmington being an awesome place to live recently and was wonder how does it compare to Charleston SC?? For all the places I've visited on the East Coast and would like to head to residency, Charleston is pretty amazing, but I've lately been hearing a ton about how great Wilmington is to live.

Totally off topic, congrats for you guys, but I've heard a lot about Wilmington being an awesome place to live recently and was wonder how does it compare to Charleston SC?? For all the places I've visited on the East Coast and would like to head to residency, Charleston is pretty amazing, but I've lately been hearing a ton about how great Wilmington is to live.

Wilmington sucks.  Stay away.  Too many damned Yankees here already.

Just kidding.  It's pretty awesome.

I just figured as hellacious as residency is going to be, I'd like to be somewhere nice on the coast and those two places keep coming up, but more than likely I'll end up back in Boston so I can live for next to nothing with one of my buddies who has a spare room.  I love Boston, but I would kill to leave in a beach town and I don't think Dewey Beach has any residency programs there. 

Haha what Thor said.  Wilmington is one of those "Best kept secrets" kind of towns.  Vibrant downtown, cost of living isn't TOO terrible for a beach town (though property taxes are, as expected, pretty high), lots of things to do, beautiful college campus at UNCW.....it's fantastic.  You're also a little over an hour from Myrtle Beach, 2 hours from Raleigh, and about 4 hours from the mountains if that's your thing. 

We like to say around here that we're "living people's vacations".  Everyone I know who leaves ends up missing it, which is why I decided to stay here and ended up falling into a good job.  Love it.

(though property taxes are, as expected, pretty high

I just bought a house in Leland, my property taxes for the year is $700.  I'm not very close to the beach, but close enough.  Plus, my wife's family has a beach house in Holden Beach.  It's actually a pretty sweet set up.

I just bought a house in Leland, my property taxes for the year is $700.  I'm not very close to the beach, but close enough.  Plus, my wife's family has a beach house in Holden Beach.  It's actually a pretty sweet set up.

That's not bad at all.  Thought it was much worse.

Archived