Mafia forum off season chat thread

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why did we send our worst player to represent us?   oh, it's a jets fan site, we're supposed to embarrass ourselves

Hi everyone!! Our baby girl, Elizabeth Christine, arrived last week! We are so in love with everything about her. I want to post a few pictures but don't want to leave them up forever here. How long

Finished officer course... got my new shiny pin ūüėÉ ¬† ¬†

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2016 at 0:28 PM, Lily said:

It's going pretty well. My grandson was born on the 7th and they live with me, so I get plenty of baby time. 

How are things with you?

Sorry...just saw this...glad to hear you see the grandkids...i'm not there yet...but do have adult kids living with us...things OK, not great...but I'm grateful...hoping for a better 2017.

@D P R @The Crusher @Integrity28

So I had some money from Christmas and I decided to get myself something to drink. I was going to get Maker's Mark as per suggestion here but I mentioned to my friend that I also wanted to try Johnnie Walker and he convinced me to up the ante and get the Blue Label. This isn't anything against Maker's Mark but I don't regret my decision at all. Blue Label is the smoothest drink I've ever had.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Nolder said:

@D P R @The Crusher @Integrity28

So I had some money from Christmas and I decided to get myself something to drink. I was going to get Maker's Mark as per suggestion here but I mentioned to my friend that I also wanted to try Johnnie Walker and he convinced me to up the ante and get the Blue Label. This isn't anything against Maker's Mark but I don't regret my decision at all. Blue Label is the smoothest drink I've ever had.

Odd choices picking between a bourbon and Scotch. Glad you liked it. When you are ready for a real nice bourbon try Angels Envy. 

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Odd choices picking between a bourbon and Scotch. Glad you liked it. When you are ready for a real nice bourbon try Angels Envy. 

Well I don't think I have ever tried Scotch before in the first place to be fair and any Bourbon I've had (maybe) has probably been like bottom of the barrel cheap stuff.

Does Bourbon taste very different from Scotch?

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Well I don't think I have ever tried Scotch before in the first place to be fair and any Bourbon I've had (maybe) has probably been like bottom of the barrel cheap stuff.

Does Bourbon taste very different from Scotch?

Bourbon is a product  of corn distillation and is well known to be from Kentucky USA.  Sotch likes it's name suggest is from Scotland and is made from malted barley. 

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Oh I see barley and corn probably would taste pretty different. I always just kind of assumed all whiskey was the same even with the different names.

Personally I find bourbon very smooth, almost too smooth if you will. Scotch tends to have that peaty "smokey" quality I personally don;t care for that much.

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Personally I find bourbon very smooth, almost too smooth if you will. Scotch tends to have that peaty "smokey" quality I personally don;t care for that much.

Hmmm I'll have to compare them I guess. I've heard of this peaty/smokey flavor but I didn't notice it myself. 

Okay, grab your drink and find a comfortable chair near a fire while we talk.

First, cheers to your selection of Blue Label - that's a beautiful, smooth whiskey and you'll never go wrong with it. Sip it with one small ice cube or a dash of water to bing the flavors out.

And that's the key to all of this, really - the flavors. It's common knowledge that wine is described by what flavors it introduces to the palette and it's the same with whiskey. Scotch is a great example of this because you have blends (the Johnny Walkers, Dewars, etc.) and then there are single malts with more pronounced flavor. The peaty, "smokey" flavors Crush is speaking (like Lagavulin and Laphroaig) are Islay scotches and are acquired tastes. Something like a Glenmorangie (the one cured on madeira casks especially) are more smooth and flavorful but with distinct flavors that other whiskeys do not have because of the region they are from.  

Jameson, which Nyn is downing as we speak, is Irish whiskey. It's a bit more harsh and less flavorful imo.

Bourbons are all made in Kentucky (although the flavor is there in Jack Daniels and others - same thing really). Makers Mark is famous for the caramel and vanilla notes it brings out. Crush is right on with Angel's Envy - absolutely beautiful. Teh higher the proof, the more kick they will have and just as scotch has particular flavors available in single malts, there are small batch bourbons that follow the same rules. Again, the key is to find the flavors that you like - and those will be different than what others like - and explore those. 

The golden rule is the same for all - the more expensive the bottle, the better quality it will probably be. But, that doesn't mean you'll love the flavor. It's good to try stuff at bars and restaurants so that you no what direction to explore in. Just remember that all of these are made to drink straight (with the before mentioned touch of water or ice). If you're looking to mix drinks, don't waste your money on the good stuff.     

• Upvote 2