Shane Spencer hoax leads to radio hosts losing jobs

Blackout

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/2013/aug/30/lindsley-cady-out-at-wtmm/

Mike Lindsley and Brian Cady have been let go by ESPN Radio 104.5 The Team (WTMM-FM).

"Mike Lindsley and Brian Cady, effective immediately, are longer with the company," program director Stephen Giuttari said. "In the coming weeks, we’ll unveil our new local sportstalk lineup on WTMM."

Armen Williams, the new brand manager for WTMM, decline to comment, referring all questions to Giuttari.

Williams, who came to WTMM from 105.3 FM The Fan in Dallas, was on the air in place of Lindsley, who hosted "Midday with Mike" from 1-4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Williams, who joined the station Aug. 15, was supposed to start on the air Sept. 9. The original plan was to have him do the 1-4 p.m. slot, and Lindsley move to the 4-7 p.m. that is occupied by Bruce Jacobs.

Jacobs is leaving the station next Friday. His contract wasn't renewed.

Lindsley came to WTMM from Syracuse earlier this year and replaced Brian Noe in the midday slot. On Aug. 12, Lindsley and the station were duped by someone impersonating former New York Yankees outfielder Shane Spencer, who claimed there was rampant steroid use on the team when he played there. The real Spencer called in the next day to refute what the imposter had said. The interview was aired the next night, during a rain delay of the Yankees' game against the Los Angeles Angels, and re-aired at the start of Lindsley's show on Aug. 14.

At the time, there was no public discipline handed out. Asked if the incident played a role in Lindsley's firing, Giuttari said, "No comment."

Cady was executive producer for "Game On with Bruce Jacobs," "Midday With Mike" and "Inside Pro Football" He hosted "Cady's Corner" and was co-host of "Section 2 Showcase."

"Wanna say that I appreciate the four years of experiences & opportunities given to me from @1045TheTeam - was an absolute honor & a pleasure," Cady tweeted.

Last Sunday, former YNN sportscaster Joe Calderone was given a three-hour tryout. There is no word if he will get a chance to host his own show.

To sum it up, a fake Shane Spencer (possibly Captain Janks of Howard Stern fame) made accusations about Jeter and Mariano being on roids.  The station still hasn't came out and taken responsibility or apologized for being pranked but a few weeks later (today) they finally decide to make a move.  

I was listening to the Shane spencer interview in the car btw...it was pretty believable.

I hope these guys land on their feet, it was pretty clear they simply got hoaxed and neither of them were in on this in any way.

Semi related:  I sure as hell am going to miss Bruce Jacobs, who ironically announced he was leaving a few weeks ago.  He's a funny bastard and a HUGE Jets fan and Dolphins/Belichick hater.....i mean what more could you want?

That station is mostly awful and Jacobs made it worse.

I've been a huge fan of Jacobs since he was on Fox Sports...when I came down here and heard him on the air it was great because the Noe show was pretty boring.

Now that Jacobs is gone after next week I guess I have nothing left to listen to on 104.5 besides Brooklyn Brixy on Sunday mornings.

That station is mostly awful and Jacobs made it worse.

i'm taping the final episode of Game On this friday.  i might even call in just to give my best wishes to Big Bruce.  i haven't called into the show since the Christmas special where I did a rap over Run DMC's "christmas in hollis"

Archived