flgreen

Willie Colon: 'Santonio is back'

September, 1, 2013

Sep 1

8:56

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Willie

Veteran guard Willie Colon was asked about the New York Jets' instability at the quarterback position. He answered by naming the perceived strengths of the offense, and how those strengths would carry the unit more than the quarterback, whether it's Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez.

HolmesInterestingly, the second item on his list was Santonio Holmes. He seemed rather confident that Holmes, the mercurial wide receiver with the surgically repaired foot, will play in Week 1.

"Santonio is back," said Colon, who also mentioned the experienced offensive line, the additions of Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson (suspended) and the promising preseason of Bilal Powell as reasons to believe.

Is Holmes really back? It's hard to get a straight answer out of him, but there's a sense of cautious optimism around the team -- not just from Colon -- that he'll be ready by next Sunday. From all indications, Holmes was limited in the two practices he's had since being removed from the physically unable to perform list. He was in full uniform Thursday night, participating in the pregame warm-ups and drills with his other teammates.

"He looks good to me," Colon said.

This, of course, will be one of the key storylines during the run-up to the season opener against the Bucs.

Practice squad: The Jets announced the following signings: WR Michael Campbell, LB Troy Davis, S Rontez Miles, DT Tevita Finau, TE Chris Pantale, OT J.B. Shugarts and C Dalton Freeman. They have one opening. It'll probably go to LB Danny Lansanah if he clears waivers.

He just didn't want to practice in preseason. He will go week 1 and if gets toasted by Revis, he will blame his foot and go on the IR list. 

I don't think he wants to play for the Jets, but he can't go IR.   He has to establish some value this season, or next year he'll be playing for vets min

I don't think he wants to play for the Jets, but he can't go IR. He has to establish some value this season, or next year he'll be playing for vets min

Not sure what the cap ramifications might be, but I wonder if Idzik would give any thought to trading Holmes in-season. He could float that carrot to Holmes, getting him to play hard for 6 weeks, and he'll perhaps squeeze a low-round pick out of another team looking for a receiver.

Holmes has to play... NFL is changing to a league where inexpensive youth is in and expensive veterans unless they really produce are out. If he sits around he plays for league minimum next year and has an uncertain future. IMO if he plays well he has a chance to sign a longer term contract with either us or someone else. I hope someone else. 

Willie Colon: 'Santonio is back'

September, 1, 2013

Sep 1

8:56

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Willie

Veteran guard Willie Colon was asked about the New York Jets' instability at the quarterback position. He answered by naming the perceived strengths of the offense, and how those strengths would carry the unit more than the quarterback, whether it's Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez.

HolmesInterestingly, the second item on his list was Santonio Holmes. He seemed rather confident that Holmes, the mercurial wide receiver with the surgically repaired foot, will play in Week 1.

"Santonio is back," said Colon, who also mentioned the experienced offensive line, the additions of Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson (suspended) and the promising preseason of Bilal Powell as reasons to believe.

Is Holmes really back? It's hard to get a straight answer out of him, but there's a sense of cautious optimism around the team -- not just from Colon -- that he'll be ready by next Sunday. From all indications, Holmes was limited in the two practices he's had since being removed from the physically unable to perform list. He was in full uniform Thursday night, participating in the pregame warm-ups and drills with his other teammates.

"He looks good to me," Colon said.

This, of course, will be one of the key storylines during the run-up to the season opener against the Bucs.

Practice squad: The Jets announced the following signings: WR Michael Campbell, LB Troy Davis, S Rontez Miles, DT Tevita Finau, TE Chris Pantale, OT J.B. Shugarts and C Dalton Freeman. They have one opening. It'll probably go to LB Danny Lansanah if he clears waivers.

i hope is lansanah that kid plays hard and fast im getting tired of mauga never on the field

☺♂

He had some stuff to say about Sanchez last week too. But really, he's been a Jet for a few months and now all of a sudden he is the voice of the locker room?

He is a badass, we need more badasses.  as long as our line mauls, IDGAF what he says.

Archived