So much negativity around here...what if Geno can actually play?

LionelRichie

So many wouldn't know what to do with themselves if Geno Smith turns out to the be the real deal. Most of the posters strive on negative comments towards players and the organization.

Please.  That will be nothing compared to the mass suicide pact that would ensue if Sanchez comes in around week 4 and leads a playoff run. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we be fair at least? The two games he most notably sucked in, one was in a wind storm and another was in a snow storm. At least from what I watched...but yeah I realize the counter to that is he's playing in the Meadowlands. But still, just saying. I don't think you're being fair. You may end up being right but at least give the kid a chance.

That was me being fair. I was being realistic.

Basing this off of one preseason game, while ignoring tc and college. Legit, I'm shocked by how a lot of you guys aren't scouts by the gold you guys are writing.

yeesh nfl is nfl. I pitched a perfect game in 3rd grade doesnt mean im good. I could care less what he did in college or practice. 7 on 7s are great but games are only things that matter... and just to remind u he had 3 interceptions and a sh*tty safety

there is more evidence to back up he sucks then to back up he is good. Anyone refuting that is being entirely subjective

A year, are you sure? I think he should sit for two years, at least. Sixteen games is too arbitrary a number. How is he going to learn the speed of the NFL by sitting on the sidelines? Maybe we can get a lifelong season ticket holder with great seats and a good arm to play QB for us this year. He/she must be incredibly used to the speed of the NFL by now.

i just think he can learn by having one year on the sideline not just the speed but the playbook  and how to get good under center.Relax is just my opinion. it did rogers i think

yeesh nfl is nfl. I pitched a perfect game in 3rd grade doesnt mean im good. I could care less what he did in college or practice. 7 on 7s are great but games are only things that matter... and just to remind u he had 3 interceptions and a sh*tty safety

there is more evidence to back up he sucks then to back up he is good. Anyone refuting that is being entirely subjective

Yeah he sucked, it was his first full game and he was playing with the pressure of being able to win or lose the job based on that one game. He choked hard. I highly doubt he's going to be playing this bad during the season. Also, he was doing well in tc and college and he was average in the Lions game. To discount all of this because of one preseason game is ridiculous. We don't know what were getting in Smith saying he sucks when he's a rookie who's only played in almost 1 full preseason game, is ridiculous.

And to say he's gonna be great or even the future of the Jets is even more ridiculous considering most NFL QBs fail on top of the fact he hasn't looked that good. I'm not saying he'll be either but if I was betting I'd go against him.

He needs time to develop and learn the NFL.

No one saying he's going to be amazing. All were saying is give the kid a chance. We stuck with Mark Sanchez for all these years and he was garbage. The least we can do is give Smith a year before writing him off.

No one saying he's going to be amazing. All were saying is give the kid a chance. We stuck with Mark Sanchez for all these years and he was garbage. The least we can do is give Smith a year before writing him off.

So we should do for Smith what we did for Sanchez and give him a job he didn't earn and isn't ready for?

Cool.

187 yards as a college QB sucks.   And the WV defense sucked all year long, the different was, he would put up 70 points and win early on, whereas as the season went on, the team, including him, sucked.    

And who gives a sh*t about stats in college. They are great to look at, but Tebow broke plenty of college records and still sucks as a QB.  The guy from Boise State broke every record and then some, never even made it to the NFL.  The Hawaii guy a few years back, hell every Hawaii guy under June Jones broke every QB record and none of them were NFL QBs.       Smith was the best QB in college the first few weeks and everybody, including me, thought the guy should be handed the trophy and be handed the #1 pick.   And then the losing started.  And no, WVU didn't lose because Smith was terrible, but Smith wasn't exactly playing all that well either.   

Again, great he put up stats as the team kept losing.  A guy like Jay Cutler in the NFL is that kind of QB.  Great stats most of the time, but he sucks just as often as his teams lose.  And Smith would be lucky to be as good as Cutler in the NFL at this point.   The problem with Smith is the guy started to believe all the hype and it's obvious before this season even started he was more "i'm great get over it" compared to being humble.    

Seriously, one game and were already saying Jay Cutler is the best he can be? And were did you get this impression that Smith was a diva. He seemed humble and never once thew his team under the bus even though they threw him under the bus. That doesn't sound like a diva at all. And please don't talk about him firing his agent. His agent gave him bad advice and got fired, simple as that.

So many wouldn't know what to do with themselves if Geno Smith turns out to the be the real deal. Most of the posters strive on negative comments towards players and the organization.

I am not sold on Geno as the future but I think between Smith and Simms this team is overdue for a break.    We don't need a top 5 QB we just can't have a bottom 5 QB like we had last year.    If Geno can keep it around 1 turnover / game I think this team has a real chance to be competitive.  

Unfortunately, Jorge, I don't think we have that luxury. You may be right, I apologize for sounding dickish.

its ok is just man i feel your pain  i have been a jets fan for over 25 years and im tired of just getting close and then nothing i just hope we win one before im 99

I haven't seen a quote from Marty giving him a vote of confidence.

Considering he said it was neck and neck with Sanchez and Smith for the starting job, while Simms and Mcelroy were fighting for third spot, I can infer that he believes Smith is the 2nd best qb on the roster after Sanchez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwbjcuQUv8

Yeah he sucked, it was his first full game and he was playing with the pressure of being able to win or lose the job based on that one game. He choked hard. I highly doubt he's going to be playing this bad during the season. 

because the season is easier than the preseason. Right? 

Come on, bit.  It's comments like this make me HATE Jets boards at times.  It's a totally wise ass, uncivil comment.  You know that's not the issue.  Did you stop and think that with some additional practice and preparation time and with his ankle closer to 100% that possibly, just possibly, Smith could play better than he did vs the Giants?

Come on, bit.  It's comments like this make me HATE Jets boards at times.  It's a totally wise ass, uncivil comment.  You know that's not the issue.  Did you stop and think that with some additional practice and preparation time and with his ankle closer to 100% that possibly, just possibly, Smith could play better than he did vs the Giants?

it's wishful thinking. The Giants don't have as good a secondary as TB and regular season is always tougher.  there's no reason to believe Geno is gonna be awesome except wearing green glasses. Which doesn't really make sense because the Jets always f--k us. btw I'm actually going to this game.  hope in one hand and piss in the other, see which fills up first. 

it's wishful thinking. The Giants don't have as good a secondary as TB and regular season is always tougher.  there's no reason to believe Geno is gonna be awesome except wearing green glasses. Which doesn't really make sense because the Jets always f--k us. btw I'm actually going to this game.  hope in one hand and piss in the other, see which fills up first. 

LOL Hopefully, the "hope" hand will be the victorious one. 

Seriously, who said anything about being "awesome?"  As I see it, that's your (and many other posters') logical blackhole.  You see everything in black and white.  A player or a coach is either great or awful.  There's no in between.  Geno doesn't have to be awesome.  All he has to do is cut down/out the TOs and play better.  Before his ankle injury, his accuracy was fine.  His throwing mechanics were better.  He was stepping into throws and zipping the ball.  We didn't see that vs. the Giants.  It could have been nerves and reverting back to bad habits, OR it could have been the ankle.  QB  Coach Lee even said before the Giants game (I think) that Geno had regressed or reverted to some bad habits due to the injury).  The practice reports this week say that the zip and spin is back on Geno's throws and that he is stepping into them again.  That's reason to think that he will play better.  He was a very accurate QB in college and didn't make a lot of bad decisions.  There's no reason to think that he will suddenly be awful in that regard in the NFL.  He will undoubtedly struggle early on as he learns to read more complex NFL defenses, but I don't think he will be awful, and I do expect him to show improvement with each game.  It would have been better for him of course, if he could have sat and learned pressure-free for a while, but unfortunately, that was not to be.  The only thing that I have any real concerns with him about are his fundamentals, as it is very hard to improve those while having to play and his mental makeup.  With the early struggles that are sure to come, will he stay confident and resilient, or will he get down on himself?

Yes, the Jets have frequently screwed us in the past and we have gotten our hopes dashed.  We have a different GM and approach now, so there's reason for some hope.  We can't hold onto the SOJ attitude.  That makes us miserable.  I'm much happier in my life and in rooting for the team since I gave up that cynical, bitter approach.  I'm not as emotionally invested in the team as I was.  They aren't gonna control my moods any more.  I'm not gonna expect disaster, but neither am I gonna drink the Kool Aid and get my hopes sky high.  I'm gonna try to stick to the middle ground, take a "wait and see" approach, find joy where I can, celebrate whatever the team does right and hope they correct what isn't.  I'm sure I'll probably still get frustrated/upset with the team's play and decision-making at times, but hopefully, I can keep those to a minimum.

Geno doesn't have to be awesome.  All he has to do is cut down/out the TOs and play better.  

Geno Smith is being handed a job he didn't earn, and one that he isn't ready for. He needs to sit for 3 years like Aaron Rodgers instead he's given the keys like Mark Sanchez. You said it yourself he can't fix his fundementals under real fire. THursday night at NE on national Tv should be a career-ruiner. 

"Worst case" he's Tom Brady part II and I can be completely wrong about him and we all watch multiple Super Bowl victories. Wouldn't that be a nice world to live in? 

Geno Smith is being handed a job he didn't earn, and one that he isn't ready for. He needs to sit for 3 years like Aaron Rodgers instead he's given the keys like Mark Sanchez. You said it yourself he can't fix his fundementals under real fire. THursday night at NE on national Tv should be a career-ruiner. 

"Worst case" he's Tom Brady part II and I can be completely wrong about him and we all watch multiple Super Bowl victories. Wouldn't that be a nice world to live in? 

The problem is that there's not a single QB on the Jets roster who did actually earn that job, and you've got to give it to somebody.

No dumbass, but when it's his first game and he's a raw rookie, I expect him to get better over the season. Or do you disagree with basically every analyst whose said he needs reps and basically that he'll improve with reps. If so why don't you become an analyst genius.

I would argue that Simms earned it more than Geno did based on his play, although we did not see them in the same situations.

Simms didn't earn it simply because he was never given the opportunity to.  Fair or not, a guy cannot be determined to have earned a starting spot when he never played with or against any other starters.  Whether or not he would/could have if given the chance is a different debate, but it (perhaps unfortunately) never happened.

Archived