Geno Smith: Our Starter

Lizard King

Man, you really love Geno. I hope you are right.

I neither love nor hate Geno Smith. I merely am not buying into the notion that our GM is forcing Smith and no others to be the Jets QB because Manish Mehta says so. The team's OC was/is gushing about Smith.

All I hope for is that the Jets end up with a good QB. If that's Smith, then great. If it's Simms, that's just as good.

But I take for granted that a player drafted high gets a little more benefit of the doubt than one who was undrafted and sitting on his couch all of last season. Just like Sanchez got a little more benefit of the doubt over Smith. I still think if he hadn't gotten hurt he would have been the week 1 starter. But if Garrard didn't quit then he would have been the starter over any of them.

All I am is less fickle about someone I haven't seen enough from yet (but who was highly touted as a prospect). I don't go through (or understand) this "he's great" then a day later "he socks," that you've gone through. This is not a way to look at a QB IMO.

I don't think Geno Smith is ready. But what I do see is some hope because I've seen a lot of passes that were completed that were absolutely perfect passes; not completed passes that were merely catchable or within reach like our QB of the last 4 years typically threw. I see Geno sticking guys in the numbers an awful lot. The rest of it is experience, or so I hope. In time, he'll either get it or he won't. He'll either form bad habits under pressure in a panic or he'll develop. We don't know which yet, but I'm not going to form an opinion as to his ultimate predestined failure because he looked unready in preseason as a rookie. There are multiple-SB-winners who looked worse at that point, starting with Eli who was lost and impossibly inaccurate as a rookie in pre-season.

It took quite a while before I totally wrote Sanchez off (though it was still WAY earlier than others). Now I see some of those same people - who, years after it was obvious he was awful, yet who still insisted Sanchez showed real promise and preaching patience and faith in the coaches for sticking with him and referred to non-believers as "haters" - writing off Smith after a couple dozen pre-season passes (most of which were with an injured ankle).

They hypocrisy is hysterical.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I neither love nor hate Geno Smith. I merely am not buying into the notion that our GM is forcing Smith and no others to be the Jets QB because Manish Mehta says so. The team's OC was/is gushing about Smith.

All I hope for is that the Jets end up with a good QB. If that's Smith, then great. If it's Simms, that's just as good.

But I take for granted that a player drafted high gets a little more benefit of the doubt than one who was undrafted and sitting on his couch all of last season. Just like Sanchez got a little more benefit of the doubt over Smith. I still think if he hadn't gotten hurt he would have been the week 1 starter. But if Garrard didn't quit then he would have been the starter over any of them.

All I am is less fickle about someone I haven't seen enough from yet (but who was highly touted as a prospect). I don't go through (or understand) this "he's great" then a day later "he socks," that you've gone through. This is not a way to look at a QB IMO.

I don't think Geno Smith is ready. But what I do see is some hope because I've seen a lot of passes that were completed that were absolutely perfect passes; not completed passes that were merely catchable or within reach like our QB of the last 4 years typically threw. I see Geno sticking guys in the numbers an awful lot. The rest of it is experience, or so I hope. In time, he'll either get it or he won't. He'll either form bad habits under pressure in a panic or he'll develop. We don't know which yet, but I'm not going to form an opinion as to his ultimate predestined failure because he looked unready in preseason as a rookie. There are multiple-SB-winners who looked worse at that point, starting with Eli who was lost and impossibly inaccurate as a rookie in pre-season.

It took quite a while before I totally wrote Sanchez off (though it was still WAY earlier than others). Now I see some of those same people - who, years after it was obvious he was awful, yet who still insisted Sanchez showed real promise and preaching patience and faith in the coaches for sticking with him and referred to non-believers as "haters" - writing off Smith after a couple dozen pre-season passes (most of which were with an injured ankle).

Sounds to me like you have a little bit of a man crush on Geno, thats OK, we all have our favorite players.

Too many wordz.  Does he suck, or is he awesome?

This sounds familiar.

If you're referring to Sanchez, it doesn't fit. I didn't see him displaying any pinpoint-type accuracy on so many passes.

But even in the case of Sanchez, I didn't start declaring him a bust in pre-season the way it's being done with Smith. Far from it.

If Smith ends up sucking then he ends up sucking. I'd like to see him play first.

There really is no doubt a healthy Sanchez gives us the best chance to win Sunday, but IMO he doesn't give us the best chance to win 6 weeks from now IF a G Smith, or M Simms gets 5 full games in the NFL under their belt, at worst they would be just as bad as Sanchez, so it's best to sacrifice the 1st few weeks with G Smith, and hope the other 52 players pick up the slack, and steal 3 wins.

I think it is extremely doubtful that Sanchez would give us the best chance to win. In fact, none. People seem to be forgetting that he actually plays worse than a rookie in his first game.

If you're referring to Sanchez, it doesn't fit. I didn't see him displaying any pinpoint-type accuracy on so many passes.

But even in the case of Sanchez, I didn't start declaring him a bust in pre-season the way it's being done with Smith. Far from it.

If Smith ends up sucking then he ends up sucking. I'd like to see him play first.

he did play against the Giants, and looked worse than Sanchez ever did in any preseason game. But the regular season should be easier. Because... hope.

he did play against the Giants, and looked worse than Sanchez ever did in any preseason game. But the regular season should be easier. Because... hope.

I was judging Sanchez from the regular season. Sanchez was always inaccurate.

Eli Manning looked worse against the Jets in his 2nd pre-season game than Geno Smith looked against the Giants.

But of course I'm talking to the guy who said last year that Peyton Manning sucks now and Mark Sanchez is better.

I was judging Sanchez from the regular season. Sanchez was always inaccurate.

Eli Manning looked worse against the Jets in his 2nd pre-season game than Geno Smith looked against the Giants.

But of course I'm talking to the guy who said last year that Peyton Manning sucks now and Mark Sanchez is better.

Comparing Eli to Geno should be fine. It's great that you remember these statements I made. A year from now I won't remember that you were hopeful about Geno Smith.  

"Guys forget all that dumb stuff I said before, I'm totes right this time."

I don't even know if i said Peyton Manning was worse than Sanchez.  I'm accepting it for the sake of argument. Its funny no one brings up my Vlad statements. You guys are hypocrites for not pointing out when I'm right. 

Comparing Eli to Geno should be fine. It's great that you remember these statements I made. A year from now I won't remember that you were hopeful about Geno Smith.  

I remember it because it was ludicrous even back then.

Being hopeful that a high Jets pick could pan out, before his rookie season has started, is nothing I would be ashamed of even if he is a bust. At least if he is I won't be calling him a stud a couple of years into his bust career like someone I know.

Being hopeful that a high Jets pick could pan out, before his rookie season has started, is nothing I would be ashamed of even if he is a bust. At least if he is I won't be calling him a stud a couple of years into his bust career like someone I know.

did you consider Kellen Clemens a high pick ?

I don't even know if i said Peyton Manning was worse than Sanchez.  I'm accepting it for the sake of argument. Its funny no one brings up my Vlad statements. You guys are hypocrites for not pointing out when I'm right. 

The only way you're "right" about Vlad is that you're consistent in deciding who's great and who sucks before any of them have played a down of regular season football. 

What exactly was your position about Vlad?

That he'd one day, through attrition, be what's left on this roster and get an opportunity to start?

I mean, the same guy who's killing the team for not bringing back a now retired player at guard can't be also thumping his chest about predictions made about a guard who's left.  That certainly wouldn't be logically consistent.

btw I just looked through the archives for 10 mins, i didn't find a post where I said Peyton Manning was worse than Mark Sanchez.

I found posts of you accusing me of that tho. I demand you find that post other wise you are a hypocrite! SCARLET H! 

What exactly was your position about Vlad?

That he'd one day, through attrition, be what's left on this roster and get an opportunity to start?

I mean, the same guy who's killing the team for not bringing back a now retired player at guard can't be also thumping his chest about predictions made about a guard who's left.  That certainly wouldn't be logically consistent.

Yeah, kinda. I said a guy with his background needed time to develop. Born in Haiti, moved to USA when he's 14, never played football growing up, it takes time. During the years I said his run blocking was good and hes actually playing well in spurts. It's all there in the archive, look it up.  Dont be a hypocrite. Don't Crit-out.

The only way you're "right" about Vlad is that you're consistent in deciding who's great and who sucks before any of them have played a down of regular season football. 

believing that regular season Geno Smith will be better than preseason Geno Smith is not really based on anything real. It's hope.

Yeah, kinda. I said a guy with his background needed time to develop. Born in Haiti, moved to USA when he's 14, never played football growing up, it takes time. During the years I said his run blocking was good and hes actually playing well in spurts. It's all there in the archive, look it up.  Dont be a hypocrite. Don't Crit-out.

Not being a hypocrite.

You very well may be right about Vlad.  And, I certainly agree he needed time.  But, never knew if he'd get there, even with time.

But, today, there's literally nothing for you to celebrate, despite you being intent on doing so.  Lets see how he does before throwing ourselves a ticker tape parade...

believing that regular season Geno Smith will be better than preseason Geno Smith is not really based on anything real. It's hope.

I don't think anyone believes that the week 1 Geno Smith will be largely different than the preseason Geno Smith.

However, as you've pointed out with your constant preaching of patience and time, the week 8 Geno Smith could be very different than the preseason Geno Smith.  Sure, that may be hope, but no different than the "hope" that Vlad would eventually get it or that Gholston would fulfill his athletic potential.

However, as you've pointed out with your constant preaching of patience and time, the week 8 Geno Smith could be very different than the preseason Geno Smith.  Sure, that may be hope, but no different than the "hope" that Vlad would eventually get it or that Gholston would fulfill his athletic potential.

i agree with that, if he doesn't get ruined week 2 at NE on national TV. 

I'm sorry, you'll have to be more specific about which "Vlad statements" you are referring to.  Do you mean the statements that talked about how great Vlad was back in the days when he was a mess on the field and couldn't beat out a 6th round pick you repeatedly criticized?  Or the statements you more recently made which criticized the Jets for having a player as bad as Vlad competing at OG in an attempt to justify your crusade against the Jets new GM?

But yeah, you feel free to keep on praising yourself for those supposed insights.  After all, it's awfully bold to be on record as saying he both did and did not suck and then managing for one of those two completely opposite statements to turn out to be true.  Funny thing is that the evidence would suggest both sets of statements were still wrong at the time you made them (pending Vlad being at least respectable in his starting role).

As an aside, care to make a bet about the game this weekend?  I'll bet you everything I have that the Jets either win or lose on Sunday.  I'll also be sure to repeat in as many of my posts as possible my own self-proclaimed genius when I turn out to be right.

Revis pick 6....how hard will Rex be shaking his fist under the table?

Rex will use that as his "selling point" of why he should be retained as HC. "Woody, you know, I obviously would NEVER have traded that young man, you know. Iggy really dropped the ball on that one, and all that kind of stuff. I have a great idea for drafting Jadaveon Clowney, who I will make into a linebacker of course. Just give our entire draft to Oakland and we'll get him. He is the missing piece of the puzzle here, obviously."

As an aside, care to make a bet about the game this weekend?  I'll bet you everything I have that the Jets either win or lose on Sunday.  I'll also be sure to repeat in as many of my posts as possible my own self-proclaimed genius when I turn out to be right.

the only reason I boast about being right is because stalkers like you bring up every wrong thing I ever said in every thread. And then call me a hypocrite. If we could just move forward that would be great.

Smith looked like Sanchez looks in every regular season game over the last two years.

is this a pro Smith post? that statement can cut either way. We have yet to see Geno play like Mark did last year against the Bills openng day. I know it's buttfumble season and everything but the guy had his moments. 

the only reason I boast about being right is because stalkers like you bring up every wrong thing I ever said in every thread. And then call me a hypocrite. If we could just move forward that would be great.

Trust me, there's nothing I could possibly have less interest in doing on this board than "stalking" you.  It should be clear by now that I have a habit of calling out anyone who is clearly completely full of crap.  Granted, the fact that you pull this in nearly every thread on this board might help to make it a little more frequent for you.

In this case, it would help if you stopped patting yourself on the back about a position you bailed on the moment it not longer fit your agenda, which we've already previously established that you absolutely did.  I doubt anyone would feel the need to point out how perpetually wrong you were if you weren't so notorious for not only refusing to acknowledge every argument that disproves you, but then completely changing the opposing argument being made by others with a combination of chopped up quotes and complete fabrications (that is, when you don't opt to instead completely change the argument all together).

Archived