The Jets are flying in under the radar.

joewilly12

Worst QB play of all-time in 2012:  6-10

This year, according to pretty much everyone:  2-14.  

BRILLIANT!

Not to be a downer, but I think the logic is more like:

Worst QB play ever in '12: 6-10

QB Problem Unfixed, lose Revis, Landry, B Thomas, B Scott on D, lose B Moore D Keller and S Greene on Offense. 

WR and RB are huge ? as are both OG positions. 

Very good DL and a good proven cornerback.  Other than that - the rest of the defense is green and unproven. 

2-14

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QB Problem Unfixed, lose Revis, Landry, B Thomas, B Scott on D, lose B Moore D Keller and S Greene on Offense. 

Very good DL and a good proven cornerback.  Other than that - the rest of the defense is green and unproven. 

2-14

1.  We went 6-10 without Revis last year.

2.  Landry I'll give you.  I think Indy wayyy overpaid and he'll get hurt eventually but that WAS a big loss.  The rest were all expendable though.  No one misses Shonn Greene.  Keller, while he wasn't replaced adequately, was always overrated.  Bart Scott and Brandon Moore were basically done, and we replaced them with younger players (Damario Davis and Brian Winters) who have promise.  Landry was the only loss that was anything special.

3.  The QB problem appears unfixed but it wasn't ignored either.  We're basing our low expectations on Geno essentially on one preseason game.

4.  WR and RB were huge question marks last year too.  Last I checked Clyde Gates is still here, Santonio Holmes is either out or limited, and we're relying on Bilal Powell for at least a solid chunk of touches. 

5.  OG is a concern but, again, no more than it was last year.  Slauson got no push and Moore was in his last season as a pro.  At least we attempted to ADDRESS it with a bunch of new faces. 

6.  I'll take a young and unproven defense with some improved speed over what we had last year.  We couldn't stop the run with our slow LB corps.  Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott and Calvin Pace won't be lumbering around out there.  I like what Antwan Barnes brings to the table, love DeMario Davis, and of course our DL should be crazy good at the point of attack.  As always, I trust that Rex will figure it out on that side of the field.

Not sure how 2-14 is even remotely possible for this team unless the team has a mutiny to try to get Rex fired.  I have a feeling they're going to do everything they can to save his job.

I don't think people understand just how bad Tony Sporano was as an OC last year. Sanchez was God awful last year, but it would be difficult even for him, to be that awful by himself. I have an acquaintance who has ties to the NFL. I was talking to him a few weeks ago looking for optimism about my Jets. He told me that Sporano was historically bad as an OC. He explained that from play design, to communication, to game planning, to teaching, that as an OC Tony Sporano was one of the worst ever. He said it was so bad that opposing teams would actually laugh about it. I don't know how good MM is, but I believe he is an enormous upgrade over Sporano, just based on how bad Sporano was alone.

I expect the defense to be as good if not better than last year, and a vastly improved offense over last year, which given how bad it was, should not be hard. Even with Geno starting, I think this team is going to be much better than people think.

The Sporano stuff is factual. The guy had no idea what he was doing....if Tanny hired him then that was 10000 times worse than the Tebow trade.

Sadly, it was not Tanny, it was Rex. Rex mistakenly thought he could bring in the wildcat, at least Rex recognized the mistake and moved on quickly.

Sadly, it was not Tanny, it was Rex. Rex mistakenly thought he could bring in the wildcat, at least Rex recognized the mistake and moved on quickly.

Last year was the worst assembled Jets team of all time. From the Owner down to the kid picking up the tee's.

I think the media have underrated just how awful sanchez was last year.    The 26 turnovers speak for themselves but it was actually worse than that.    It was the pick 6's, the missed open wr's, the fumbles in the redzone, and the inexplicable ability to drive the ball in the 2-minute only to do something stupid inside the 20.   

with pick 6 sitting on the bench this team is instantly better.   Geno is going to play like a rookie, that is pretty much a given.   To me the big question is whether Harris and the safeties can cover anyone?    It's like Harris permanently ran out of gas on in the int return vs. NE in the playoffs and hasn't gotten his speed back.  

Yeah, I can handle rookie mistakes as long as they are coming from a rookie.  The 4th year vet making rookie mistakes gives me a sad...

1.  We went 6-10 without Revis last year.

2.  Landry I'll give you.  I think Indy wayyy overpaid and he'll get hurt eventually but that WAS a big loss.  The rest were all expendable though.  No one misses Shonn Greene.  Keller, while he wasn't replaced adequately, was always overrated.  Bart Scott and Brandon Moore were basically done, and we replaced them with younger players (Damario Davis and Brian Winters) who have promise.  Landry was the only loss that was anything special.

3.  The QB problem appears unfixed but it wasn't ignored either.  We're basing our low expectations on Geno essentially on one preseason game.

4.  WR and RB were huge question marks last year too.  Last I checked Clyde Gates is still here, Santonio Holmes is either out or limited, and we're relying on Bilal Powell for at least a solid chunk of touches. 

5.  OG is a concern but, again, no more than it was last year.  Slauson got no push and Moore was in his last season as a pro.  At least we attempted to ADDRESS it with a bunch of new faces. 

6.  I'll take a young and unproven defense with some improved speed over what we had last year.  We couldn't stop the run with our slow LB corps.  Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott and Calvin Pace won't be lumbering around out there.  I like what Antwan Barnes brings to the table, love DeMario Davis, and of course our DL should be crazy good at the point of attack.  As always, I trust that Rex will figure it out on that side of the field.

Not sure how 2-14 is even remotely possible for this team unless the team has a mutiny to try to get Rex fired.  I have a feeling they're going to do everything they can to save his job.

I agree with you. I think this team can surprise people.  But I am also prepared for the possibility that we will just flat out suck.  Makeshift OL, RB, and WR corps with an average at best (and maybe inexperienced) QB, and a bunch of career backups all over the D... 

2-14

Lots of the guys on that list were hurt last year (Revis, Thomas, Keller and even Moore, although to a lesser extent), others absolutely sucked (Scott, Greene), and the last was Laron Landry.  I can see the tougher schedule being a problem but beyond that, I'm not sure what about the Jets' "losses" should be considered particularly detrimental unless Landry was responsible for 4 wins himself.  Mind you, I don't think the Jets will be particularly good this year, I just don't see what allegedly makes them so much worse.

Lots of the guys on that list were hurt last year (Revis, Thomas, Keller and even Moore, although to a lesser extent), others absolutely sucked (Scott, Greene), and the last was Laron Landry.  I can see the tougher schedule being a problem but beyond that, I'm not sure what about the Jets' "losses" should be considered particularly detrimental unless Landry was responsible for 4 wins himself.  Mind you, I don't think the Jets will be particularly good this year, I just don't see what allegedly makes them so much worse.

The people we replaced those "sucky" players with were either their backups last season or someone else's backups on a different team. 

The people we replaced those "sucky" players with were either their backups last season or someone else's backups on a different team. 

If you're just talking about Scott or Greene, is it your honest belief that the Jets current starters could actually do any worse than them?  Scott kept his starting job because he was Ryan's BFF, but he was absolutely awful, while Davis was clearly drafted with the purpose of replacing him as the starter this year.  Greene was outplayed by Powell last year, plus the Jets have added another 3 new RBs on top of that.

As far as the other guys mentioned, Revis played two games last year (and finished neither) and was replaced by Wilson as the starter, who has since been beaten out for that #2 job and moved back down the depth chart.  Thomas was actually cut at one point last year, lost lots of PT to McIntyre, who is still on the team, and in addition to moving Coples to OLB, they brought in new players at the position as well (e.g., Barnes).  Keller was knocked out for the year and replaced by Cumberland as the starter, who is still here, and now has Winslow at TE along with him.  OG is probably the bigger question, but Colon is fine if he can stay healthy (I know, big if) and the rest, well I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.  Once again, my point is not that any of this makes Jets particularly great, far from it, but more that most of the guys that left the team were either absolutely awful or hardly played last year, so as bad as they may be, I'm still not sure how they're supposedly any worse.  That is, unless Rex and Mornhinweg end up being worse play callers than Pettine and Sparano, but I think that's about as likely as Sanchez being NFL MVP.

If you're just talking about Scott or Greene, is it your honest belief that the Jets current starters could actually do any worse than them?  Scott kept his starting job because he was Ryan's BFF, but he was absolutely awful, while Davis was clearly drafted with the purpose of replacing him as the starter this year.  Greene was outplayed by Powell last year, plus the Jets have added another 3 new RBs on top of that.

As far as the other guys mentioned, Revis played two games last year (and finished neither) and was replaced by Wilson as the starter, who has since been beaten out for that #2 job and moved back down the depth chart.  Thomas was actually cut at one point last year, lost lots of PT to McIntyre, who is still on the team, and in addition to moving Coples to OLB, they brought in new players at the position as well (e.g., Barnes).  Keller was knocked out for the year and replaced by Cumberland as the starter, who is still here, and now has Winslow at TE along with him.  OG is probably the bigger question, but Colon is fine if he can stay healthy (I know, big if) and the rest, well I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.  Once again, my point is not that any of this makes Jets particularly great, far from it, but more that most of the guys that left the team were either absolutely awful or hardly played last year, so as bad as they may be, I'm still not sure how they're supposedly any worse.  That is, unless Rex and Mornhinweg end up being worse play callers than Pettine and Sparano, but I think that's about as likely as Sanchez being NFL MVP.

Again - I dont disagree entirely... But it's easy to see the other side of the coin as well.  Certainly hard to make an argument that the Jets have made any significant improvements.  Theyre basically replacing old slow sh*t with unprovens and backups.   We'll have to see how it works. 

You named zero good players on our offense.

Look at other rosters around the league.

Look at the Bucs roster.

There isn't much talent on the Jets. And the schedule is tougher this season.

Again, the same was true last year and we went 6-10.  We literally couldn't get any worse on offense and still won 6 games.

Schedule strength is a valid concern, but does that alone cause us to fall from 6-10 to 2-14?  Don't see it.  Schedule strength can never truly be known until the games start getting played in that particular season.  Sure it LOOKS much tougher than last year but it might not end up being the case.

As for the Bucs, as long as Greg Schiano is their HC and Josh Freeman is their QB they're paper tigers.  No chance they overcome both the Saints AND Falcons in that division.

Again, the same was true last year and we went 6-10.  We literally couldn't get any worse on offense and still won 6 games.

Schedule strength is a valid concern, but does that alone cause us to fall from 6-10 to 2-14?  Don't see it.  Schedule strength can never truly be known until the games start getting played in that particular season.  Sure it LOOKS much tougher than last year but it might not end up being the case.

As for the Bucs, as long as Greg Schiano is their HC and Josh Freeman is their QB they're paper tigers.  No chance they overcome both the Saints AND Falcons in that division.

We can be better than last year and be a 4 win team. Actually, that's probably what's going to happen. 

Hey, if you are 1-15, you can go buy Gato's logic and say we were only 7 games under .500. It make sit so much easier to swallow.

Go buy....It doesn't get better than Scotty D on a roll. 

It's cool THO, the Jets under Scotty's logic would still have another 16 games to catch up! 

Go buy....It doesn't get better than Scotty D on a roll. 

It's cool THO, the Jets under Scotty's logic would still have another 16 games to catch up! 

Under Gato's logic, you can change results of what happened in order to support your premise.

Gato logic-If the jets would have won 2 more games, they would have been .500.

LULZ

Ignoring that they were 6-10, which is 4 games under. This is how it has been calculated and stated in sports FOREVER

Archived