15-28 496 6 TDs

SoFlaJets

9/24/72 Jet v Colts Joe Namath at his best man

What a ganme to watch-is there any way to veiw it now?

You know on Dec 11th of the same year he also threw for over 400 yrds.What a QB he was

I am not young enough to have seen him live. But I really do alot of homework and I know my football history. I've also seen quite a few games from the past.

From all accounts, Namath had one of the greatest arms ever. The modern QB that I have seen that reminds me of him is Brett Favre.

Favre like Namath has an amazing arm and Favre like Namath is a gutsy and cocky gunslinger who thinks that he can make every single throw.

That's why both Favre and Namath throw so many picks. Because they are so confident in their ability, That they try and force every throw. They make throws that other QB's wouldn't dare attempt.

Favre?no YJF think Marino circa the mid 80's-that good.Nobody could do what he did with as few receptions- he made them count.He would glide back in the pocket hunched foward and scan the feild and throw the perfect spiral with the perfect loft-he was a pleasure to watch.

I am not young enough to have seen him live. But I really do alot of homework and I know my football history. I've also seen quite a few games from the past.

From all accounts, Namath had one of the greatest arms ever. The modern QB that I have seen that reminds me of him is Brett Favre.

Favre like Namath has an amazing arm and Favre like Namath is a gutsy and cocky gunslinger who thinks that he can make every single throw.

That's why both Favre and Namath throw so many picks. Because they are so confident in their ability, That they try and force every throw. They make throws that other QB's wouldn't dare attempt.

Your not "young enough" to have seen him live??

Ok...And that's not exactly why Namath threw picks..

In the 60's and early 70's the rules what DB's could

do was small..No Knives or Guns allowed! Other then

that it was easy going for a DB!! Plus QB's and Fans

didn't look at stats like you do today! The main

thing was Winning! The AFL was a Bomb throwing league

it wasn't the Dink and Dunk of today! John Madden

said Namath had the best Arm he had ever seen and

was the only player he ever went to shake his hand

in a opposing lockeroom..Ahh..Those were the Days

YJF!! I remember a Summer Day July 68 at Bill's

Meadowbrook on Hempstead Turnpike(It's called

Bogarts now)I was drinking some Scotch with Joe

and Mike Battle and these Co-ed's came in and..

But why Bore you with Old Memeories.. :)

LOL Savage.

I think, Namath is alot like Favre. Both have the ability to make the big play and the big mistake.

I'm not trying to dog Joe Willie. He's an all time great and you are right, rules were different back then.

But when you are as confident as Namath was in his ability. You take chances. Joe was a gambler in nature that's why he took a gamble and guaranteed a superbowl win when his team was a massive underdog.

When you are a precision type QB with some limitations like say Joe Montana, You play within your abilities.

When you have all world ability like Namath had. To make any throw in any circumstance. You are going to try and make every throw.

LOL Savage.

I think, Namath is alot like Favre. Both have the ability to make the big play and the big mistake.

I'm not trying to dog Joe Willie. He's an all time great and you are right, rules were different back then.

But when you are as confident as Namath was in his ability. You take chances. Joe was a gambler in nature that's why he took a gamble and guaranteed a superbowl win when his team was a massive underdog.

When you are a precision type QB with some limitations like say Joe Montana, You play within your abilities.

When you have all world ability like Namath had. To make any throw in any circumstance. You are going to try and make every throw.

Did you know that Namath was a scrambling QB at

Bama before he got Hurt?? :wink:

The beauty about the old NFL w3as QB's called their own plays.Joe Namath,his strong suit was reading defenses.He did it w/o all the pomp annd circumstance that Peyton does it,and it worked.He was that good.But it wasn't all Joe Emerson Boozer was a big part of the Jets/Namath days-go here and read about the Championship years'games.Oh yea and Weeb pulled Joe out of alot of games in favor of Babe Parilli-to save his QB,something Herm should do with our guy now.

http://nflhistory.net/linescores/index.asp#70s

Archived