The thing I liked most about Geno

AFJF

since we are talking about Geno, and what we liked, I loved the rollout where he threw a bullet that I believe Hill caught on the sideline. It was only a 4 yard gain or something but the kid throws a great ball. 

Good to know Im not the only one who closes his eyes when the ball is thrown to Hill.

Nice to get a win.  Geno's not the reason though.  He gave away 7 and the D scored 2.  folk took care of the rest.  Geno was a deer in headlights.  Hopefully he progresses into something special.  Time will tell.

Did you watch the game?  You aren't describing the QB that I saw on Sunday.

^^ Speaking of Vlad - pleasantly surprised to say he didn't completely suck or bomb out. Yay.

Vlad played poorly. If you have the game DVRd, watch him pull. He never, not once, gets to his block. He also pops up too high in the run game and has a tendency to get too far over his feet in pass pro which leaves him susceptible to high hand moves like the swim or press and tug. He was supposed to be raw coming out of college, but he hasn't fixed this stuff.

A lot of people compare Geno to Aaron Brooks, but to me he's more Donovan McNabb-like in his skill set. Primarily a passer, but has enough mobility to pick up first downs with his legs if there is an opening.

I hope Geno doesn't throw at people's feet like Donovan.

Vlad played poorly. If you have the game DVRd, watch him pull. He never, not once, gets to his block. He also pops up too high in the run game and has a tendency to get too far over his feet in pass pro which leaves him susceptible to high hand moves like the swim or press and tug. He was supposed to be raw coming out of college, but he hasn't fixed this stuff.

Now that you mention it I do remember specifically pointing him out on a no gain or loss play as a guy who missed making any block. ****in Vlad. 

After four years!!!!!    Educationally Sanchez is not graduating with a 2.2 GPA and Geno just signed into the dorm.  You are funny man.

Sanchez might have done better or worse. We don't know because he didn't play. It's speculation. Honestly if he plays exactly like geno did, we're all torches and pitchforks. Geno gets the benefit of the doubt because he's brandy new. I'm just not ready to put him in Canton based on that Bucs performance because, in all honesty, it wasn't very good. The best thing about the QB was that he wasn't wearing # 6. And I think that's why geno is getting so much praise for his mediocre performance.

McNabb was shorter, heavier, and faster than Smith.  Coming out of college Smith is a far more accurate passer who - in college - had a completion percentage 10 points higher, and McNabb's pro accuracy wasn't really measurably better than his college accuracy (though it certainly got better than his first NFL season or two).  Smith's Wonderlic (for what it's worth) was ~2x higher than McNabbtard's.  Wonderlic aside, I've seen both speak and it wouldn't surprise me if there was just as similar of a discrepancy in their actual measured IQs.  McNabb certainly had to deal with some of that being a pioneer garbage, unfortunately, that Smith won't deal with for a second in NY in 2013 and beyond.

In measurable skill set he probably is closer to Sanchez than McNabb to be frank (except for Sanchez's legendary giant hands, that clearly did him absolutely no good in holding onto the football).

Really, I don't see the similarity to McNabb beyond the obvious.

Sanchez might have done better or worse. We don't know because he didn't play. It's speculation. Honestly if he plays exactly like geno did, we're all torches and pitchforks. Geno gets the benefit of the doubt because he's brandy new. I'm just not ready to put him in Canton based on that Bucs performance because, in all honesty, it wasn't very good. The best thing about the QB was that he wasn't wearing # 6. And I think that's why geno is getting so much praise for his mediocre performance.

I don't really agree.  I just watched the 30-minute condensed version of the game last night (don't know if I'll have time to watch the full version again before kickoff tomorrow; after that I know the odds of my watching the TB game again aren't good).  Smith was certainly not perfect but he was a good deal better than merely not-Sanchez.  Not to mention his worst play and least-accurate passing was in his first half of NFL action where the opposition cares about winning.  I've seen worse games from veteran QBs.  Good ones.

I saw him buying a lot of time.  Some dropbacks he did lock in on his guy, but he sometimes ended up completing passes to that guy also.  I see Peyton Manning do that.  On the flip-side, I also saw him surveying the field when the blocking (or his feet) gave him the time to do so.  What I do NOT know, because I only have to go by what the TV crew shows us, is how many wide open guys he missed.  Every QB misses some, but I saw it with his predecessor way too much.  Was he looking at an open guy and failed to pull the trigger? I don't know.  I didn't see it much (or don't remember seeing it).  I did see him NOT make what would have been some ill-advised attempts.  The one throw into triple-coverage (to Cumberland) was on the money.  I'm sure Mornhinweg is teaching him what happens to receivers who are hung out to dry.  But again, every pro bowl QB now & then throws to a receiver who then got his bell rung.

I dismiss the "if this was Sanchez" comparison because they are not in similar stages of their careers.  I'm a lot more tolerant of rookie mistakes when it's an actual rookie who's making them (particularly in their first 30 minutes of real NFL action).  Basically I'm still in wait & see mode, but I like what I saw so far so it has me feeling optimistic.  Particularly since I was expecting another effort like that pre-season game.

I don't really agree.  I just watched the 30-minute condensed version of the game last night (don't know if I'll have time to watch the full version again before kickoff tomorrow; after that I know the odds of my watching the TB game again aren't good).  Smith was certainly not perfect but he was a good deal better than merely not-Sanchez.  Not to mention his worst play and least-accurate passing was in his first half of NFL action where the opposition cares about winning.  I've seen worse games from veteran QBs.  Good ones.

I saw him buying a lot of time.  Some dropbacks he did lock in on his guy, but he sometimes ended up completing passes to that guy also.  I see Peyton Manning do that.  On the flip-side, I also saw him surveying the field when the blocking (or his feet) gave him the time to do so.  What I do NOT know, because I only have to go by what the TV crew shows us, is how many wide open guys he missed.  Every QB misses some, but I saw it with his predecessor way too much.  Was he looking at an open guy and failed to pull the trigger? I don't know.  I didn't see it much (or don't remember seeing it).  I did see him NOT make what would have been some ill-advised attempts.  The one throw into triple-coverage (to Cumberland) was on the money.  I'm sure Mornhinweg is teaching him what happens to receivers who are hung out to dry.  But again, every pro bowl QB now & then throws to a receiver who then got his bell rung.

I dismiss the "if this was Sanchez" comparison because they are not in similar stages of their careers.  I'm a lot more tolerant of rookie mistakes when it's an actual rookie who's making them (particularly in their first 30 minutes of real NFL action).  Basically I'm still in wait & see mode, but I like what I saw so far so it has me feeling optimistic.  Particularly since I was expecting another effort like that pre-season game.

Yeah I can't disagree with any of this. As for seeing the full 22 from the stands, yeah he failed to pull the trigger on some open receivers, particularly a wide open Gates that would have been a big gain, but its understandable considering caution is his ally at this point. He did okay in the second half, not so much in the first. My comments are only objective opinion, really. No positive or negative spin or future predictions. Jets fans are just so frustrated with #6 that anything short of a complete meltdown is going to garner praise. I'm setting my sights a bit higher. I'm too old to keep waiting for next year.

It was one game.  I wasn't horrified and I wasn't wowed.  He did ok.  Other than that, I'm not going to celebrate a super bowl this year or jump off a bridge because of one game.   If the Bucs didn't have an idiot for a coach and idiotic players,  who knows what any of us would be saying.   As much as the defense played well, a lot of that was just because Freeman sucks as a QB.   Their WRs were killing the Jets secondary all game long.  A better QB probably kills the Jets.     

Lets wait and see how the Pats game goes.  If the Jets win/lose a tight game and Geno plays about as well as he played against the Bucs, I'd be hopeful about the coming season.   If they get blown out and Smith looks horrible, then who knows.    People are giving way too much credit to the Bucs thinking they are actually a good team.  The team finished 7-9 last year for a reason.

Archived