Props to Vlad Ducasse

TNJet

Good game by Vlad today. I was one of his biggest critics the last few years and had actually written him off as a bust last year. Honestly for whatever reason, the dude looks much improved, and it has to be true to beat out a good guard in Winters as he obviously did. Why do you think Vlad is now competent? He was a borderline bum last season...why the change? New coaching?

I watched him on several plays and he looked solid when I did.  He wasn't great, but definitely as good as he's ever looked which isn't saying a whole lot.  However, on a few plays when Geno appeared to be instantly running for his life, it happened so quickly that I didn't see who got beat. 

I saw Vlad get steamrolled on 2 occasions and that simply cant happen to a guy that big. He also seems to get lost in space I have the game DVR'd and there are a few players I would like to look at/ While at times Geno seemed to have good protection other times he was running for his life and quickly. Positive note Geno recognized the blitz and protection breakdowns MUCH faster than Sanchez. Honestly this was the type of game that is Sanchez was in there we would have lost and I believe that 100 %. For some of the fundamental flaws I see in Geno I see a much better feel for what's going on at the LOS and it makes me really happy.

The player who really stood out IMHO was Barnes that guy knows how to get to the QB and quickly. Very impressed with him.

Why is no one talking about Mangold's poor play?  I saw him whiff on several running plays.  Just awful.  His pass protection was spotty as well.

I love the guy. But he shouldn't get a pass when he plays poorly.  Yesterday was one of his worst games.

I watched him on several plays and he looked solid when I did. He wasn't great, but definitely as good as he's ever looked which isn't saying a whole lot. However, on a few plays when Geno appeared to be instantly running for his life, it happened so quickly that I didn't see who got beat.

Mangold almost got Geno killed a few times.

I saw Vlad get steamrolled on 2 occasions and that simply cant happen to a guy that big. He also seems to get lost in space I have the game DVR'd and there are a few players I would like to look at/ While at times Geno seemed to have good protection other times he was running for his life and quickly. Positive note Geno recognized the blitz and protection breakdowns MUCH faster than Sanchez. Honestly this was the type of game that is Sanchez was in there we would have lost and I believe that 100 %. For some of the fundamental flaws I see in Geno I see a much better feel for what's going on at the LOS and it makes me really happy.

The player who really stood out IMHO was Barnes that guy knows how to get to the QB and quickly. Very impressed with him.

It 

looked to me like our rookie fullback was lost yesterday as far as pass protection.  But there were a couple of inside plays where linemen came clean.  McCoy was nailing Geno a lot.  And Clayborn crunched him too.  Not a good thing to have a guard who loses concentration.  He is the shortest route to the QB.

It 

looked to me like our rookie fullback was lost yesterday as far as pass protection.  But there were a couple of inside plays where linemen came clean.  McCoy was nailing Geno a lot.  And Clayborn crunched him too.  Not a good thing to have a guard who loses concentration.  He is the shortest route to the QB.

pretty much same thing I saw. The play where Bohanan and other RB ? didn't remember who ....missed the blitzing LB was just plain bad , can't let that sh*t happen I mean one of them or both had to attend to the immediate threat to the QB

It looked to me like our rookie fullback was lost yesterday as far as pass protection.  But there were a couple of inside plays where linemen came clean.  McCoy was nailing Geno a lot.  And Clayborn crunched him too.  Not a good thing to have a guard who loses concentration.  He is the shortest route to the QB.

I seen Clayborn run through untouched atleast 3 times. twice chasing Geno out of the pocket and once getting a clean hit on Ivory which almost prevented a 1st down conversion. 

Our offensive line didnt have its best game. Brick had multiple penalties along with wide open gaps between the LT/LG in which Clayborn was just harassing Geno. Mangold is no where near the Mangold of old,....the "Best Center" in the league Nick Mangold. He is not that player. Austin Howard had a decent day though. I have to go back to the DVR because I dont know where Vlad was lined up at (LG or RG). All I know is that the left side of the line Clayborn was raping on a consistent basis. He actually made a play on the opposite side as well I can remember, but the left side of our O-Line he completely exposed yesterday. 

Vlad is a very serviceable Guard, dispite some patchy play, Slauson was much worse last year.

He's perfect for depth once Winters takes the job later on.

wayne hunter was a very serviceable tackle, except for getting completely blown up 3 or 4 times a game

Why is no one talking about Mangold's poor play?  I saw him whiff on several running plays.  Just awful.  His pass protection was spotty as well.

I love the guy. But he shouldn't get a pass when he plays poorly.  Yesterday was one of his worst games.

its true Mangold had a bad game yesterday. Part of that is the Bucs DL, Gerald McCoy and Adrian Clayborn are not slouches.

by the way if you expected the line to be better than last year, this game is a dissapointment. If you expecteed them to be middle of the pack, average, this is how average lines play.  replace 2 guards and there will be a loss of cohesion. 

its true Mangold had a bad game yesterday. Part of that is the Bucs DL, Gerald McCoy and Adrian Clayborn are not slouches.

by the way if you expected the line to be better than last year, this game is a dissapointment. If you expecteed them to be middle of the pack, average, this is how average lines play. replace 2 guards and there will be a loss of cohesion.

I agree that it's going to take a little time for the line to jell. But that doesn't excuse Mangold from getting beat so badly on certain plays. He was lousy yesterday.

I seen Clayborn run through untouched atleast 3 times. twice chasing Geno out of the pocket and once getting a clean hit on Ivory which almost prevented a 1st down conversion. 

Our offensive line didnt have its best game. Brick had multiple penalties along with wide open gaps between the LT/LG in which Clayborn was just harassing Geno. Mangold is no where near the Mangold of old,....the "Best Center" in the league Nick Mangold. He is not that player. Austin Howard had a decent day though. I have to go back to the DVR because I dont know where Vlad was lined up at (LG or RG). All I know is that the left side of the line Clayborn was raping on a consistent basis. He actually made a play on the opposite side as well I can remember, but the left side of our O-Line he completely exposed yesterday. 

A number of those free-runners came on miscommunications/misreads on who to block, rather than just straight up whiffing. That and Clayborn is a hell of a player and was all over the field yesterday.

OL play collectively, was poor.  Yes, the Bucs can man handle people at the LOS, but that was a really sh*tty effort.  From everyone.  Nobody played particularly well.  Mangold was getting waxed.  Vlad got trucked a couple of times.  Howard and DBrick got beat a few times and Colon couldnt get any push up front.  

Which makes Geno's performance even more impressive.  

Saw a couple of plays where Vlad pancaked his guy. Saw a couple of plays where Bucs came through untouched. Those are mental errors and it is expected from RBs and with the new players on the offense.  As far as getting beat physically, we held our own against a very tough bucs DLine.  Bodes well for week 2 matchup that only has wilfat and Tommy Kelly if I remember correctly. LBs and DEs are pretty sh*tty on the pats and we should be able to dominate the line of scrimage.

that is why I think Geno handled himself very well yesterday, particularly in the second half.  No playmakers, little protection.  Good job.  He will have his hands full mentally with BB, though.  Yesterday it was guys beating guys, guys blowing blocks.  BB will be tricks, phony looks, and traps.  A little early for Geno, but a step towards his development.  should be fun.

Yes but Vlads not Wayne Hunter bad.

vlads play yesterday was every bit as bad as hunters ever was and probably worse. he is easily confused on who to block and on a few occasions, decided not to block anyone or was waayyy late with is blocks. he needs to get alot better in a hurry

I'm not sure if your serious about this, but your right.  It was very concerning

Mangold looks fatter and more out of shape imo.  He always and obviously is a very big guy...but previous years he moved well with the weight...now it looks like he dogging it a bit....maybe he just needs a couple games to get back to himself....concerned but optimistic

No, people need to bitch about something around here after a win, so you might as well give them this.

A starting guard blocking air on half of the plays is certainly a cause for concern. Geno's fumble on our own 5 was on Vlad. That cant happen.

Archived