– is the exit strategy under way ? ? ?

kelly

The minute I heard that Mark Sanchez was seeking a second opinion from renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews on his injured right (throwing) shoulder, I knew something was up. My thoughts were, in this order: the new GM is all in on Geno Smith regardless of performance (more on that in a minute) and Team Sanchez is in control of Sanchez’s career now.

So let’s unpack this starting with the injury. Why is the diagnosis so vague? Both sides have incentive to stay mum. I don’t think the current Jets brain trust cares at all about Sanchez except for one thing: If they get a midseason inquiry for a trade – can they say with a straight face that he is healthy? If the Andrews diagnosis indicates he will heal soon, that is a stamp of approval any team looking to trade will have to take seriously.That scenario could happen. I can think of at least three teams right off the top of my head who, if they lose their starter, wouldn’t bat an eyelash to pick up all or most of Sanchez’s $8.25 mil guaranteed.Team Sanchez has a similar interest. Whether it’s midseason or in the offseason, Sanchez will be gone. Watching this mess unfold all summer, I thought that Sanchez was still heavily emotionally invested in beating Smith and keeping his starting job. But I think everything changed after the injury in the preseason game against the Giants. Sanchez was reported to be very upset after that and rightfully so. The Jets unnecessarily jeopardized his health and by extension his career. Setting aside the turnover issues which I’ve discussed in detail before, this team has not put him in a position to succeed the last two years. From the declining offensive talent level to the Tim Tebow circus, the Jets have conducted a graduate level seminar in how NOT to develop a young quarterback (Remember, Sanchez is only 26 years old). But the injury changed everything and Mark, normally very polite and accommodating with the media, started giving clipped, evasive (although still polite) non answers during his limited media availability.

That’s when I knew things had shifted and I thought to myself, his agent is in charge now. (My proof is here at the 2 minute mark) Why do I say that? Follow the money.Sanchez is with Athletes First. Here is a link to their client list. Whatever else you may think about agents, they are in the business of getting paid and that means getting their clients paid. They have far reaching tentacles and glean inside information from everywhere. By now it is evident that new GM John Idzik wants Smith to be his starter. And they will ride that train almost no matter how he performs. If he completely implodes, they can play Brady Quinn or find out what they have with Matt Simms. By the way, the coverage of Geno Smith in the New York media has been hilarious. Suddenly he is the savior. He led his team to victory. Um, no. The Jets didn’t win that game, the Bucs lost it. TD, INT, fumble that led to a score and five sacks. That was Geno’s line. If it had “poised” and made the “right” play running out of bounds and drawing the 15 Yd penalty that set up the game winning kick. No, Smith and the Jets just got lucky that the Bucs are an undisciplined bunch. Smith survived by virtue of his natural athleticism. But any team with a competent scouting department and a quality pass rush will be able to easily fluster him.

The Jets results on the field this year will probably be much like last season as Smith will likely try to do what Sanchez has been unsuccessful at for the last two years: play hero ball to try to bail out a Jets offense that is so thin on playmakers they have no chance at the post season. You know you’re in trouble when your starting quarterback has more running yards than your entire running back platoon. This is a two year rebuild minimum and is directly related to how many draft picks Idzik can accumulate.Team Sanchez is in job hunting mode now. I know that may seem laughable to some, especially in light of the butt fumble. But everybody needs to get over. ESPN did. Sanchez’s agents, and really any competent GM, will characterize that out for what is was: a terrible play with comic results and a catchy nickname. They will then remind everyone of what else happened in that two minute span – the Jets turned if over two other times. It was a team meltdown.

Currently, the only way Sanchez is a starter in the foreseeable future is as a backup in case of injury. If Brady Quinn, Kyle Orton and David Carr can still collect paychecks in this league, Sanchez will too. Obviously, no one ever wishes for injury, but the truth of the matter is starting quarterbacks often suffer season ending injuries. Ask yourself, right now, whether Sanchez wouldn’t be an upgrade over the current backups in San Francisco, Green Bay or Chicago. That’s the game now for Team Sanchez. Where will he next suit up ? That’s why the shoulder status remains so vague and that’s why this Dr. Andrews visit is such a big deal. For purposes of football business, Sanchez will get a “he’ll be ready soon” diagnosis or a “he’s shut down for the year” diagnosis. The former will translate into midseason trade availability, the latter in the offseason.

You got what you wanted Jets front office and fans: Sanchez will be gone. You’d better hope Geno Smith is the answer.

>     http://empirewritesback.com/2013/09/10/new-york-jets-mark-sanchez-exit-strategy-way/

The minute I heard that Mark Sanchez was seeking a second opinion from renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews on his injured right (throwing) shoulder, I knew something was up. My thoughts were, in this order: the new GM is all in on Geno Smith regardless of performance (more on that in a minute) and Team Sanchez is in control of Sanchez’s career now.

So let’s unpack this starting with the injury. Why is the diagnosis so vague? Both sides have incentive to stay mum. I don’t think the current Jets brain trust cares at all about Sanchez except for one thing: If they get a midseason inquiry for a trade – can they say with a straight face that he is healthy? If the Andrews diagnosis indicates he will heal soon, that is a stamp of approval any team looking to trade will have to take seriously.That scenario could happen. I can think of at least three teams right off the top of my head who, if they lose their starter, wouldn’t bat an eyelash to pick up all or most of Sanchez’s $8.25 mil guaranteed.Team Sanchez has a similar interest. Whether it’s midseason or in the offseason, Sanchez will be gone. Watching this mess unfold all summer, I thought that Sanchez was still heavily emotionally invested in beating Smith and keeping his starting job. But I think everything changed after the injury in the preseason game against the Giants. Sanchez was reported to be very upset after that and rightfully so. The Jets unnecessarily jeopardized his health and by extension his career. Setting aside the turnover issues which I’ve discussed in detail before, this team has not put him in a position to succeed the last two years. From the declining offensive talent level to the Tim Tebow circus, the Jets have conducted a graduate level seminar in how NOT to develop a young quarterback (Remember, Sanchez is only 26 years old). But the injury changed everything and Mark, normally very polite and accommodating with the media, started giving clipped, evasive (although still polite) non answers during his limited media availability.

That’s when I knew things had shifted and I thought to myself, his agent is in charge now. (My proof is here at the 2 minute mark) Why do I say that? Follow the money.Sanchez is with Athletes First. Here is a link to their client list. Whatever else you may think about agents, they are in the business of getting paid and that means getting their clients paid. They have far reaching tentacles and glean inside information from everywhere. By now it is evident that new GM John Idzik wants Smith to be his starter. And they will ride that train almost no matter how he performs. If he completely implodes, they can play Brady Quinn or find out what they have with Matt Simms. By the way, the coverage of Geno Smith in the New York media has been hilarious. Suddenly he is the savior. He led his team to victory. Um, no. The Jets didn’t win that game, the Bucs lost it. TD, INT, fumble that led to a score and five sacks. That was Geno’s line. If it had “poised” and made the “right” play running out of bounds and drawing the 15 Yd penalty that set up the game winning kick. No, Smith and the Jets just got lucky that the Bucs are an undisciplined bunch. Smith survived by virtue of his natural athleticism. But any team with a competent scouting department and a quality pass rush will be able to easily fluster him.

The Jets results on the field this year will probably be much like last season as Smith will likely try to do what Sanchez has been unsuccessful at for the last two years: play hero ball to try to bail out a Jets offense that is so thin on playmakers they have no chance at the post season. You know you’re in trouble when your starting quarterback has more running yards than your entire running back platoon. This is a two year rebuild minimum and is directly related to how many draft picks Idzik can accumulate.Team Sanchez is in job hunting mode now. I know that may seem laughable to some, especially in light of the butt fumble. But everybody needs to get over. ESPN did. Sanchez’s agents, and really any competent GM, will characterize that out for what is was: a terrible play with comic results and a catchy nickname. They will then remind everyone of what else happened in that two minute span – the Jets turned if over two other times. It was a team meltdown.

Currently, the only way Sanchez is a starter in the foreseeable future is as a backup in case of injury. If Brady Quinn, Kyle Orton and David Carr can still collect paychecks in this league, Sanchez will too. Obviously, no one ever wishes for injury, but the truth of the matter is starting quarterbacks often suffer season ending injuries. Ask yourself, right now, whether Sanchez wouldn’t be an upgrade over the current backups in San Francisco, Green Bay or Chicago. That’s the game now for Team Sanchez. Where will he next suit up ? That’s why the shoulder status remains so vague and that’s why this Dr. Andrews visit is such a big deal. For purposes of football business, Sanchez will get a “he’ll be ready soon” diagnosis or a “he’s shut down for the year” diagnosis. The former will translate into midseason trade availability, the latter in the offseason.

You got what you wanted Jets front office and fans: Sanchez will be gone. You’d better hope Geno Smith is the answer.

>     http://empirewritesback.com/2013/09/10/new-york-jets-mark-sanchez-exit-strategy-way/

This article losses all credibility from the bolded statement, who you going to listen to, this blog writing loser or maybe one of the best defensive lineman in the entire NFL?

“He stayed poised,” defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said. “I was sure when I was hitting him early on that he would get rattled. He kept hanging in. I said, ‘How many more times do I (have) to hit you?’”

Also who the hell is this guy?  It has to be his brother, or someone inside the agency that represents Mark which was named in this article hmmmm.

Said some things that were interesting, but Victoria Sterling lost me right here:

By the way, the coverage of Geno Smith in the New York media has been hilarious. Suddenly he is the savior. He led his team to victory. Um, no. The Jets didn’t win that game, the Bucs lost it. TD, INT, fumble that led to a score and five sacks. That was Geno’s line. If it had “poised” and made the “right” play running out of bounds and drawing the 15 Yd penalty that set up the game winning kick.

Penalties are part of the game.  If Favre in his prime had run out of bounds, got hit with 7 seconds left and the resulting penalty moved them into range for the winning field goal, everybody would say how the great ones get it done somehow.  Same for Rodgers, Manning or any other top QB.

What about that whiff tackle that Landry made on Vincent Jackson?  The ball arrived, Jackson pulled it in, Landry came in at full speed a split second later and tried to knock the ball out, missed, and his momentum carried him past Jackson.  Jackson just took off for 30 yards right into field goal range.

What-the Jets have to play without error or "the other team gave them the game"?.

The notion that we didn't put him in a place to succeed, is bullpoop. He was given the starting job, had no one he feared could replace him, and he was paid handsomely while being given an extension. Real QB's make the players around them better. Real QB's don't give up 52 turnovers of which most were bonehead moronic mistakes. If Mark was given better talent, your argument for him not being given a chance to succeed..he might only have 45 turnovers. Great. Facts are facts. Mark has always been below mediocre. 

Interesting piece. enlightened me to stuff I neither even thought about before. Hope Sanchez lands on his feet. Didn't like him either, but I thought he was playing well in camp and preseason - and a guy who goes down like that, taking a hit while completing a pass and exposing himself that way - you have to be heartless to continually mock him.

>     http://empirewritesback.com/2013/09/10/new-york-jets-mark-sanchez-exit-strategy-way/geno brought his team back into the lead late.  That is a   

Ridiculous.  34 seconds left(thank you, Rex) no TOs.  Geno was very poised, for an impossible situation.  Geno brought his team back into the lead late in the 4th quarter.  That is fine with me.  Everything that happened afterward was virtually out of his control.  Did you expect him to walk on the field and just throw an 80 yard TD?

The point about the Andrews visit being a kind of seal of approval for a future trade is plausible, but it could simply be a matter of Sanchez and his agents seeking a confirming or second opinion to that which he has gotten from the Jets.  Which in the context of the questions about his relation to the team is entirely reasonable.

Which it really is we may well find out soon enough.  Whether some other team really will present a decent offer to the Jets for Sanchez is unknowable at this point.  I understand the article in effect assumes that enough starting Qb's will go down to make that scenario likely, but I have some skepticism about that.

I did want to make a couple of other points going off from that article.

My heart says it's great the Jets won the game, and even the luck scenario underrates the fact that the Jets still had to be in the game to benefit from Davis's play, which they were to their credit.  But I also know that was hardly the only mistake TB made.  Watching the Skins Eagles game, I was comparing the apparent lack of preparedness DC was showing, but at least they had an excuse, since Griffin had not really been playing due to his comeback from injury.  DC's D would not have looked so bad if their O could have stayed on the field.  But Griffin's situation gave the CS a pass in my book when it comes to the test of getting your team ready for Opening Day.

Tampa's CS and players getting an  Opening Day pass?  Not so much.  Man they were as the article says a relatively undisciplined bunch.  Arguments on the sidelines.  Stupid penalties not limited to Davis's.  Dropped passes.  and they still outplayed the Jets most of the game.  So my heart says one thing, but my head says TB will drop in the power rankings until they can show more cohesion. 

Another point is that while Powell's lack of production is a cause for concern, TB was playing to stop the run, and jam the OL at the same time.  The Jet OL I think was also dealing with Ducasse, trying to cover for him and integrate him into their play.  But TB has an above average defensive front and they had an overall good defensive strategy in place for playing a rookie Qb, and these two would have made it hard for most any team with the Jets' situation to get their running game on track.  THis is where Smith's running was particularly helpful, as long as  he can do this in future games, since it has to give opponents pause in loading up to stop the RB's.

Last comment here is on Smith's passing stats.  Yes I think we must agree his line did not look great, but the analysis leaves out the improvement over the course of the game.  This means more to me than it normally would, because the relation of Smith to the other players and in particular to Marty in playcalling is very new and very much a work in progress.  Increased efficiency in the second half is something I think we should all see as inspiring more confidence than Smith's total game stat line.

..Last comment here is on Smith's passing stats.  Yes I think we must agree his line did not look great, but the analysis leaves out the improvement over the course of the game.  This means more to me than it normally would, because the relation of Smith to the other players and in particular to Marty in playcalling is very new and very much a work in progress.  Increased efficiency in the second half is something I think we should all see as inspiring more confidence than Smith's total game stat line.

This comment answers the questions you raised earlier.  Smith was very tentative early in the game, getting used to his first NFL game, and that is when Tampa made it's worst mistakes.  If Smith was able to play from the start like he did late in the first half and all of the second, he likely would have finished Tampa off early.   In that last drive of the first half, Geno came into his own.

Also,don't forget that Marty's offense generally calls for the QB to take the snap under center, and Marty had to do some improvising so Geno could play in the shotgun until he gets ready for that.

If we put him on IR or temporary-IR (whatever they call it), and another team picks him up via trade, can that new team use him or is he still locked into being on IR because his prior team put him there?

It's a designation used by the (former) team to clear up a roster spot on the former team.  Does this maneuver preclude the player from working for someone else until next year (or week 10)?

If we put him on IR or temporary-IR (whatever they call it), and another team picks him up via trade, can that new team use him or is he still locked into being on IR because his prior team put him there?

It's a designation used by the (former) team to clear up a roster spot on the former team.  Does this maneuver preclude the player from working for someone else until next year (or week 10)?

I've never heard of a case where you can trade a player once he's designated to the IR or PUP.  Once he's released (with a settlement) by the team, I'm sure normal free agency rules apply, but still, I can't recall a single transaction of that nature. 

I've never heard of a case where you can trade a player once he's designated to the IR or PUP.  Once he's released (with a settlement) by the team, I'm sure normal free agency rules apply, but still, I can't recall a single transaction of that nature. 

Me neither, which is why I asked what happens.  I really don't know.

I think it's more he's hurt worse than they claim,  Smith came out and impressed people, and that' s it.  Even if Sanchez had a halfway decent season, nobody expected the guy to be a Jet next season.  Most people didn't want him this year, including some on the FO, it's just he's owed a lot of money.  No other team really wanted to pay him or for that matter, wanted him.     So putting him in IR or PUP is what it is as there is no way he winds up starting for the Jets again, even if Smith sucks.

But a trade?  Honestly who would trade for the guy at this point?   I can see some team picking him up next year on the cheap, but other than that,  he's been a bad NFL QB who has more jokes related to football made about him than most players.   And the problem is he played for the Jets and he was a magazine cover boy.  He's not a bad person, but guys like Kolb, even Carson Palmer, and others are rarely mentioned in the media.  Nobody really gives two cents about them.     Any team that signs or trades for Sanchez is going to get some press.  Unwanted press for a guy who stinks.  It won't be Tebow like press, but at this point,  Sanchez and the Jets haven't been a relevant team in a few years and people from across the country are still talking about Sanchez.   So when a team wants a backup or something on the cheap,  it's hard to bring in a guy who is going to garner way too much unwanted attention  Most team would rather avoid the crap these days.  Especially for a guy who stinks as a QB.

So saying all that, if some team can sign him next season on the cheap,  I can see that happening.  The reality is will Sanchez accept that fate?  Some players never can.

...So saying all that, if some team can sign him next season on the cheap,  I can see that happening.  The reality is will Sanchez accept that fate?  Some players never can.

Of course he will.  What else is he going to do-start a new career without giving the NFL another shot?  Nobody does that.

His second year was better than his first, he seemed to be improving.  The third year was something of a comedown, then last year happened.  Sanchez has to think he's better than he's shown the last two years, and if his price is not too high, he'll take the job as a #2 or #3 QB and hope for an opportunity.

no, it is not

an injured player is looking for a second opinion as he should, and the team he plays for is protecting his privacy and body from intentional hits by being vague about the injury, as they should

so no, each party is doing what they should be

no, it is not

an injured player is looking for a second opinion as he should, and the team he plays for is protecting his privacy and body from intentional hits by being vague about the injury, as they should

so no, each party is doing what they should be

Seeking the second opinion is normal, not telling anyone about the injury for this long...eh, in football it's kind of weird, isn't it? I mean, Sanchez hasn't been throwing for almost three weeks now and we still don't even REALLY know what the injury is. The guy was, if our suspicions were correct, going to be the starting quarterback, and they haven't said a word.

Maybe they feel they are free from having to say anything because Smith looked good enough in his debut, but if Smith had been a complete disaster, would we still be wondering what was wrong with Mark Sanchez? Wouldn't they have told us by now? It's not a mental health issue or a penis issue where privacy is beyond warranted, it's a shoulder issue that prevents Sanchez from playing football.

The trade angle of the whole thing is pretty cynical, even for me. Maybe there's some truth to it, but I can't see any team willing to trade for him while eating most of his salary unless he's healthy and they absolutely HAVE to.

Seeking the second opinion is normal, not telling anyone about the injury for this long...eh, in football it's kind of weird, isn't it? I mean, Sanchez hasn't been throwing for almost three weeks now and we still don't even REALLY know what the injury is. The guy was, if our suspicions were correct, going to be the starting quarterback, and they haven't said a word.

Maybe they feel they are free from having to say anything because Smith looked good enough in his debut, but if Smith had been a complete disaster, would we still be wondering what was wrong with Mark Sanchez? Wouldn't they have told us by now? It's not a mental health issue or a penis issue where privacy is beyond warranted, it's a shoulder issue that prevents Sanchez from playing football.

The trade angle of the whole thing is pretty cynical, even for me. Maybe there's some truth to it, but I can't see any team willing to trade for him while eating most of his salary unless he's healthy and they absolutely HAVE to.

all we need to know is he has an injury.  I have never felt like any team owes any body details about the injury.  telling teams exaclty what the injury is helps them plan for playing him(throws he can/can't make), and knocking him out of the game.  this isn't a hipaa issue, and lets be honest any injury report is just for the vegas bookmakers anyway

any trade would be contigent on a full physical of course

this is just the runaway crappy sensational speculative "journalism" that we have to endure

Of course he will.  What else is he going to do-start a new career without giving the NFL another shot?  Nobody does that.

His second year was better than his first, he seemed to be improving.  The third year was something of a comedown, then last year happened.  Sanchez has to think he's better than he's shown the last two years, and if his price is not too high, he'll take the job as a #2 or #3 QB and hope for an opportunity.

There are a lot of players who can't accept the fact they aren't "a starter."  Or they expect top dollar for being a backup.     There are many young players in various sports who kind of got run of the leagues because they refused to accept, they just weren't that good and weren't worth that kind of money.    A guy like McNabb refused to believe his time was over and thus, he was kind of run out of Washington and Minnesota.  If he could have accepted being a backup, he'd probably still be sitting on some teams bench.

WHo knows, but there are plenty of players with more talent and better careers than Sanchez who lost a step or two and never accepted that fact.  And therefore wound up being out of the league when they could have still been paid a few million more.    I don't think Sanchez will be like that, but who knows.  He might think he's a starter only and refuse to budge.

.There are a lot of players who can't accept the fact they aren't "a starter."........A guy like McNabb refused to believe his time was over and thus, he was kind of run out of Washington and Minnesota.  If he could have accepted being a backup, he'd probably still be sitting on some teams bench.

Can't compare Sanchez with McNabb.  McNabb was one of the highest rated QBs in the league for 10 years or so.  A guy like that, yes I can see him refusing to be a backup-he had a stellar career.

The only thing separating Sanchez from bottom of the barrel is that the team went to the division championship his first two years.  Without that credential, his situation would be far more precarious than it is now.  A star like McNabb who still thinks he deserves starting is one thing.  Sanchez is a never-was whose place on a roster next year is not guaranteed.

Can't compare Sanchez with McNabb.  McNabb was one of the highest rated QBs in the league for 10 years or so.  A guy like that, yes I can see him refusing to be a backup-he had a stellar career.

The only thing separating Sanchez from bottom of the barrel is that the team went to the division championship his first two years.  Without that credential, his situation would be far more precarious than it is now.  A star like McNabb who still thinks he deserves starting is one thing.  Sanchez is a never-was whose place on a roster next year is not guaranteed.

even if mark was healthy...i can't see any team offering the jets anything for him in a trade. Seriously :frown:

.                                                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^

I don't see it either.  Stranger things have happened, but I think Sanchez is going to get cut at the end of the year and get to choose between perhaps 2 or 3 teams willing to let him come to training camp and try out, no guarantees.

.                                                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^

I don't see it either.  Stranger things have happened, but I think Sanchez is going to get cut at the end of the year and get to choose between perhaps 2 or 3 teams willing to let him come to training camp and try out, no guarantees.

agreed !...we'll take a " salary cap hit " but, i really do believe it is in the best interests of mark and us ( the jets ) that " we part ways " . 

Seriously. i wish mark all the best.

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

agreed !...we'll take a " salary cap hit " but, i really do believe it is in the best interests of mark and us ( the jets ) that " we part ways " . 

Seriously. i wish mark all the best.

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

4 million isn't chump change

that would cover what the jets are paying both 1st rd picks this year

both

Sanchez has been put on IR but can return in week 11. I don't know the ramifications on whether he can be traded or released but in any case it is pretty clear that Sanchez career as QB of the NY Jets is history. Geno looks like a rookie and isn't getting any help from his cast of so-called WR's. he should try to find Holmes as often as he can because apparently the team is keeping Clyde Gates.

It's hard to imagine Sanchez coming back to start again.

Unmentioned in the preseason contest between Geno and Mark is the fact that nobody said how long Mark would be the starter if he won.  With everyone speculating about when Geno would take over, I don't recall anyone giving affirmations that the eventual winner would be like any other starting QB and would be expected to finish the season that way.

Sanchez was fighting for a window of opportunity-the chance to start the season until Geno became ready, but if he plays well under Mornhinweg and gets the team behind him, it might be impossible to take him out of there.  Geno's position as QB of the future was not as certain as Eli's.  Professional, consistent play by Sanchez could have changed things.

With the injury, that window of opportunity closed.

Archived