Be honest, who wasn't impressed by Geno in week 1?

LionelRichie

I thought he panicked on the one int but other than that I thought the kid definitely looked the part of an NFL QB. 

Frankly, I didn't see any limitations in his game - he can run, can make all the throws, and he found a way to complete a screen pass to someone other than the DLine.   The only thing I didn't see was a deep ball - hopefully tomorrow night.  

Obviously there will be ups and downs this year but if Geno puts up "Tannehill numbers" this season is he solidified as the QB of the future?   

as a top 10 pick Tannehill posted:

7-9, 58.3% completion  12 TD  13 INT  76.1 QB Rating.   

I was impressed, but I'm still shell-shocked from the last four years to the point where any time a QB in green and white drops back, my stomach drops and I'm just thankful they didn't turn the ball over.  He certainly looks to have all the tools, but time will tell.  With what I've seen, I wouldn't be shocked if he finishes the season completing more than 60% of his passes. So long as he doesn't develop into a turnover machine, I think he's a kid you can win with and develop.  Here's hoping at least.

I thought he panicked on the one int but other than that I thought the kid definitely looked the part of an NFL QB. 

Frankly, I didn't see any limitations in his game - he can run, can make all the throws, and he found a way to complete a screen pass to someone other than the DLine.   The only thing I didn't see was a deep ball - hopefully tomorrow night.  

Obviously there will be ups and downs this year but if Geno puts up "Tannehill numbers" this season is he solidified as the QB of the future?   

Probably, but only because Tannehill numbers would pretty much ensure that we won't be in a position to draft anyone worth a sh*t in 2014.

Also:

I wasn't impressed as much as relieved that he wasn't a disaster. It'll take me a few more games before I'm impressed.

I was impressed, but I'm still shell-shocked from the last four years to the point where any time a QB in green and white drops back, my stomach drops and I'm just thankful they didn't turn the ball over.

This x10000

I need a larger sample than just one game before I can be impressed. I too was relieved Geno played decent in his first ever NFL start.

This Thursday is a h-u-g-e test. Playing away, playing in a nationally televised game, playing on a short week, playing the hated Pats, and so on. This is where we can see if Geno's cojones drop a little more.

I was fairly impressed, especially with Geno's poise and patience.   The question that remains to be answered... is he for real?   Who knows?

I remember sitting in NBC's box in the Circle Suites at the old Cowboy's stadium for a game between the Raiders and Cowboys many moons ago.  Great game with lots of fine food and damn fine whiskey.  Marc Wilson racked up spectacular stats in a high scoring come from behind win -- he looked like he would be one of the league's  great NFL QB's, this huge game coming after leading the nation in passing at BYU.   He looked like a QB.  Big, tall with no flaws or warts in his mechanics.  An arm like a missile launcher.  It was his one and only great game.   Just sayin'...

In all honesty I was part of the Simms camp (still want to see what he can do).     I thought Geno was going to completely sh*t the bed and fire at least 1 sanchezesque pick 6. 

Putting things in perspective, Geno completed 63.2% of his passes on 38 attempts.    On 30+ passes, Sanchez only had a % that high 4 times in 4 seasons.  

I'm not ready to put Geno in Canton just yet, but after 3 picks vs, the Giants and all of the media bashing this kid has endured since January I thought he looked pretty freaking good for a 2nd rd pick.    My expectations were Clemens or Nagle and he looked a whole lot more like a top 10 pick.  

What I've liked, not been impressed by, so far is that he always talks about getting better. To me he gets it.  Does that mean he becomes a franchise qb, not really. But if he keeps that mindset he has a chance. Physical tools are there but as most all of us know - it's the mental part of the game that separates the good ones from the also rans. As much as I get the question it is too early to tell. Tomorrow is another chance for him to grow and get better. We'll see....

Outside RGIII, Luck and such, it's a long haul for QBs to mature. That said, my favorite plays was when he threw the ball away.

That one where his guy appeared open in that there was no one RIGHT on him, but there was coverage above & below & there's a good chance it would have been picked off.  That was my favorite.

How f*cking low is the bar set if we're reminiscing the great memory of incomplete passes from Sunday? F*cking Jets.

its only one game but it did come against one of the better D in the nfl so who knows as a jet fan i got my fingers crossed that this kid is for real.And once we get him better guards and recivers i hope we can be a team that people really hate to play

In all honesty I was part of the Simms camp (still want to see what he can do).     I thought Geno was going to completely sh*t the bed and fire at least 1 sanchezesque pick 6. 

Putting things in perspective, Geno completed 63.2% of his passes on 38 attempts.    On 30+ passes, Sanchez only had a % that high 4 times in 4 seasons.  

I'm not ready to put Geno in Canton just yet, but after 3 picks vs, the Giants and all of the media bashing this kid has endured since January I thought he looked pretty freaking good for a 2nd rd pick.    My expectations were Clemens or Nagle and he looked a whole lot more like a top 10 pick.  

I get Morninwhig is probably the best OC we've had in years, but good lord those numbers can't possibly be true. I know they are, but jesus that's hard to take in.

Excellent point and something I have been saying since the day they hired him. Marty Morhinweg is certainly the best (based on body of work) I can remember...unless you count Bruce Coslet who was terrific in Cinncinati but always gave the excuse that Jets didnt have the right personnel for him to run his offense here (although cant argue - ahh the days of Jeff Criswell protecting the blind side). 

As for Geno, lets put it this way - i wasnt dissapointed...as for not putting points on the board  - going up against arguably the best secondary in the NFL with a crew of WR who at best would be a #3 on most teams.

For tomorrow night, always have to fear NE, I am sure they will shut down the running game and put many a hit on Geno, I have no idea how we'll score.  My predication NE 20 Jets 9.

TBH I really need to see what the TB defense looks like the rest of the way to see if what we saw from Geno was impressive, or a product of a crappy D, last year they had the #1 rush D, but were in the bottom of the league in pass D, but you can't use that from last year because they did not have Revis, or Gholdson, and the other starting Safety, and CB, Mark Barron, and I forget the CB's name are in year #2, so they could be very much improved this year, so if I didn't watch the Jets play for 4 more weeks, and watched the Bucs D for the next 4 weeks I would be able to tell you if I was impressed by this performance, or not.  But he does look like a QB perfect for the short WC passing system, and the added mobility can make him Steve Young esque if he has the Accuracy, mental make up, poise, and all those other things the greats have/had I think a RH Steve Young is a perfect comparison of what Geno could become in this WC offense, only time will tell.

Please don't call me out for comparing him to Steve Young, I am not saying he is, or will be as good as Steve Young, I am just stating that he could be the same type of passer if he has all the other tools you can't measure in this type of system, if he gets moved to a different offensive system then the comparison ends, it is more of the system, and physical tools that make me use Steve Young as someone to look at IF he stays in this WC offense.

I was fairly impressed, especially with Geno's poise and patience.   The question that remains to be answered... is he for real?   Who knows?

I remember sitting in NBC's box in the Circle Suites at the old Cowboy's stadium for a game between the Raiders and Cowboys many moons ago.  Great game with lots of fine food and damn fine whiskey.  Marc Wilson racked up spectacular stats in a high scoring come from behind win -- he looked like he would be one of the league's  great NFL QB's, this huge game coming after leading the nation in passing at BYU.   He looked like a QB.  Big, tall with no flaws or warts in his mechanics.  An arm like a missile launcher.  It was his one and only great game.   Just sayin'...

I knew a girl who had warts in her mechanics.  

I think he looked fine, but I think a bunch of this is OC.  I was kind of a Schottenheimer apologist, but Mornhinweg is famous for getting guys completion percentages up.  I was happy enough with what I saw, but he did basically spit up a TD.  Just like Mark!

I think he played well for his NFL debut. The fact that I was impressed by his play doesn't really have anything to do with him, it has more to do with the fact that we've had to watch Mark Sanchez play for the past four years.

Seriously, from what I saw, he can scramble, will throw the ball away, has a relatively quick release and save for that rookie hiccup int, did pretty well under pressure against a very good Tampa Bay defense.

Against the Pats, I will just be happy if he doesn't commit an ass fumble. The Pats, in all likelihood, are going to crush the Jets, unfortunately, but I hope I am wrong.

All in all a pretty impressive debut for Geno and Mornhinweg. Mornhinweg had a gameplan for Geno, where he really kept him largely in check. Lots of short passes/screens, and virtually nothing downfield.

Geno, for his part, played smart. He turned it over twice in the first half, but didn't in the second. He scrambled when he saw open field, and threw the ball away when there was nothing there. His big brain was reputed to be his biggest asset, and it certainly appeared to be on display Sunday. He was well ahead of the rookie curve when it comes to decision making. He took what the defense gave him, and didn't try to force anything. Looked like a combination of good coaching, and the ability to absorb good coaching.

This game is such a huge test. Short week, road game, against a hated, allegedly superior opponent - big, big test. But so far, so good.

Geno was extra cautious.  he has no reason to expect this batch of wideouts to make the right reads so I think he held back on some passes.  I also think they are running safe designed routes without a lot of options for this offense right now.  But he was not fazed by the hits, and he did his best not to make that big second half mistake.  thank you, Geno.  Having said that, BB can be murder on rookies and the Jets do not shine up there most of the time, so I do not have huge expectations tonight.  I think he has some promise, though.  It would be nice to have one, but a Rex team does not need one.  They need a low TO guy, accurate, controlled, with some ability to extend plays.

Cannot say impressed but recovered from early mishaps. On the positives-threw crisply, showed patience, ran well. On the watch side, was somewhat hesitant at times, stared down receivers, a little late and slow release. Whether he's our qb of the future remains to be seen but obviously our qb of the present.

I am extremely concerned about him and would feel much better with Sanchez in there. I think he holds the ball way too long and will suffer for it one way or the other (injury/shellshocked/poor pocket presence). Really hope I'm wrong but he shouldn't be out there from what i see.. he needed to learn for awhile imo

I am extremely concerned about him and would feel much better with Sanchez in there. I think he holds the ball way too long and will suffer for it one way or the other (injury/shellshocked/poor pocket presence). Really hope I'm wrong but he shouldn't be out there from what i see.. he needed to learn for awhile imo

:huh:   :screwy:

Archived