Mort: Sanchez has torn labrum, requires surgery (merged)

dbatesman

We'll all remember Mark Sanchez as a monolithic bust, but make sure to remember how hard his idiot head coach f*cked him over literally every step of the way, from handing an acknowledged immature kid the starting job, to dumping high-character vets (Cotchery, Damien Woody, Thomas Jones) and replacing them with scumbags like Derrick Mason, Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress and LaDainian Tomlinson and Joe McKnight, to hiring Tony Sparano, to coddling Sanchez when it was clear he was mentally shot, to never once intervening when Holmes went off the rails, to handling the Tebow situation as poorly as you can handle it (admittedly, 80% Woody's fault), to now effectively ruining his shoulder with the idiotic decision to play him in the fourth quarter of a preseason game. None of this is to say that Sanchez would have been good if he was coached by a smarter person, but it's hard to imagine any scenario whereby a young quarterback was handied with greater malfeasance by his coach.

No one will care, of course, because we're all glad he's gone, but thank God Idzik has turned Rex into a lawn jockey because letting him attempt to oversee another young quarterback's development would have been catastrophic for this franchise.

POTWN are we still doing those?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If nothing else, I genuinely wish the best for him wherever he goes next. Terrible QB but classy as hell off of the field, never has a bad thing to say about anyone and his attitude has always been admirable IMO. Shame it's turned out like it has, after those post-season performances I was sure we'd got our franchise QB, I can't see him turning his NFL career around, but if he does, I'll be rooting for him against 30 teams. 

Mangini left behind:

QB = Kellen Clemens, Eric Ainge

RB = the Dancing Bear (with 1 "real" year left on his contract), and Leon Washington in a walking boot (with an RFA tag and no contract)

WR = Cotchery, Stuckey, and Brad Smith. Which is to say, Cotchery and nothing.

TE = Keller & Chris Baker

LT and C = two young, high-end linemen with rookie contracts that expired within 2 years. Brick's rookie contract was already expensive anyway.

LG = $8M/year Faneca who was the NFL's worst pass-blocking LG in 2009 before the Jets let him go

RG = Brandon Moore, with an expiring contract

RT = Damien Woody

DL = Kris Jenkins (always hurt, making a fortune), Kenyon Coleman on a $4M/year deal, Sione Pouha (was a 325-lb zero until Rex coached him), Mike DeVito was not under contract after 2008, so Mangini didn't "leave" him to anyone except the FA market

LB = Vernon Gholston (all-time bust making $10M/year), Calvin Pace at $7M/year, Bryan Thomas at $5M/year, David Harris, Eric Barton

CB = Revis (1 year away from a holdout), Dwight Lowery, David Barrett

S = Abram Elam, Kerry Rhodes

Tell me more about this fictitious, amazing situation that the Mangini/Tannenbaum combo left behind for Rex. I have no idea why this fairy tale keeps getting repeated or how it started in the first place.

No QB, one aging RB with 1 year left on his deal (who came complete with holdout threats & was openly spreading dissent over it), one meh WR, one young TE who can't block (and another who can't run), nothing on the DL except Jenkins' big cap hit (except what Rex coached 2 others up to be), 3 old/slow LBers, and 1 all-time great CB. I mentioned no QB, right? Because there was no QB. Hard to stress enough that there was no QB anywhere on this f*cking team, none to be had in FA, and no good ones in the draft after the 1st overall pick.

That, my friend, is a giant f*cking mess plus like a handful of real players. Pretty much all of those real players were either making an insane amount of money or had expiring contracts within a year of Mangini getting handed his walking papers. And that team - with a rookie bust at QB and with the cornerstone of his defense knocked out within a month (which on 9/1/09 was Jenkins, not Revis) - IMMEDIATELY went to the AFCCG once someone else in charge.

Mangini - who I liked for a while, surely due to Herm withdrawal - was a complete f*cking failure as a HC. He had a moderate eye for college talent that others around the league didn't quite realize just how good they could be (like Revis & Harris), but too often let his "Jets core values" bullsh*t get in the way of drafting guys with actual talent. Anthony Schlegel FTW, right?

It was a 9-7 team that spent part of the season as Super Bowl favorite in Vegas, that fielded six Pro Bowlers (not including Favre; 3 under the age of 26), and had Brick who would go on to make the Pro Bowl. If Rex got fired after last season, he'd have left nothing remotely close to that, and what he'll leave behind after this season is Mo and the stuff that Idzik brought in.

Biggest game in week 2 vs the Pats and they're all talking about Samchez on ESPN ny.

What a disaster of radio.

that's perfect.  they aren't talking about geno vs belicheat, or holmes getting powned by revis.   works for me.  let them cry about sanchez all year

that's perfect. they aren't talking about geno vs belicheat, or holmes getting powned by revis. works for me. let them cry about sanchez all year

No. It's two hours before the game I'm excited want to hear about the big game coming up and these ******* SCUMBAGS...LOSERS....waste of ducking noise are whining and complaining about Samchez I CAN'T ******* DEAL W RHIS sh*t.

No. It's two hours before the game I'm excited want to hear about the big game coming up and these ******* SCUMBAGS...LOSERS....waste of ducking noise are whining and complaining about Samchez I CAN'T ******* DEAL W RHIS sh*t.

put on some ac/dc or rush and rock out !!!!!!

I don't listen to pre-game.  I tune in at exactly game time

It was a 9-7 team that spent part of the season as Super Bowl favorite in Vegas, that fielded six Pro Bowlers (not including Favre; 3 under the age of 26), and had Brick who would go on to make the Pro Bowl. If Rex got fired after last season, he'd have left nothing remotely close to that, and what he'll leave behind after this season is Mo and the stuff that Idzik brought in.

No it was not.  That is revisionist crap.  It was a 9-7 team with a healthy Brett Favre as QB.  Brett Favre was retired after Mangini was fired so he was not part of the team Rex inherited.

A 9-7 team with Favre is not the same 9-7 team with Kellen Clemens.

Without a healthy Brett Favre, the 2008 Jets were a 1-4 football team.

Among the pro bowlers were 3 players Rex didn't have, you do know.  One was Faneca at a pro bowl level, two was Favre, and three was Jenkins who got hurt a month into Rex's tenure and we still finished with the #1 defense.  So Rex inherited some good players who lasted the season (1 of them, Revis, amazingly great) but mostly overpriced has-been's & never-gonna-be's.

Rex is not the GM and I don't want him as the GM.  If he f*cks up this year I don't want him as the HC either.

Personally, I think there is no chance that the 2009 Jets (sans Kris Jenkins as of early October) get as far with an experienced HC in Mangini as with a first-year HC in Rex.  Mangini had virtually no eye for strategy and as a coordinator or HC had zero history of success anywhere near Ryan's.  Rex has plenty of flaws that drive me mad, but Mangini is no head coach.  If you wish he was still here I don't know what to say.  Rex may not know offense like some other coaches, but Mangini knew neither offense nor defense.  All he knew was how to be a complete a$$hole to everyone around him, which is why he's never getting another head coaching gig ever again.  I have doubts he'll ever reach the lofty rank of coordinator ever again, since he doesn't know how to strategize on either side of the ball.

The thing Mangini never got was that BB can be an a$$hole because he's good at what he does.  Being an a$$hole isn't what makes him good.  It just makes him an a$$hole.

From what I saw, he kinda did. You could make the case for Simms, but you couldn't for Smith...at least not from what I saw.

Actually, I wouldn't really say he won anything at all.  He was absolutely awful in the preseason.  The only real difference was his awfulness was spread across smaller portions of three different games instead of lumped together into one.  I'm not sure if that's really any better, considering it provides evidence of being consistently bad (which the prior 4 years also supported), as opposed to simply streaky or having a bad game.  If anything, he very well could have been handed the job because Geno failed to win it, but that is not the same as him winning it, as it would not been any of his own actions that would have led to that outcome.

Actually, I wouldn't really say he won anything at all.  He was absolutely awful in the preseason.  The only real difference was his awfulness was spread across smaller portions of three different games instead of lumped together into one.  I'm not sure if that's really any better, considering it provides evidence of being consistently bad (which the prior 4 years also supported), as opposed to simply streaky or having a bad game.  If anything, he very well could have been handed the job because Geno failed to win it, but that is not the same as him winning it, as it would not been any of his own actions that would have led to that outcome.

semantics much?

the guy's only role this season was a placeholder 'til Smith was more ready to take snaps under center. he was what he was. that was better than Geno's preseason - no matter how you spin it - but it didn't really matter because his time here was limited either way during a season with zero expectations.

semantics much?

the guy's only role this season was a placeholder 'til Smith was more ready to take snaps under center. he was what he was. that was better than Geno's preseason - no matter how you spin it - but it didn't really matter because his time here was limited either way during a season with zero expectations.

Perhaps it's merely semantics, and under different circumstances would have no relevancy, but in this case it does given his need to run his mouth.  If this jackass is really going to sit there and pat himself on the back for his so-called "win" after 4 years of abysmal failures and another awful preseason, he can quite frankly go **** himself.

Sanchez has been a good soldier his entire career here, repeating the company line no matter how stupid, and as far as we know, has been a good teammate. Yeah, what a d*ck, trying to make himself look good for when he eventually moves on. How dare he.

Sanchez has been a good soldier his entire career here, repeating the company line no matter how stupid, and as far as we know, has been a good teammate. Yeah, what a d*ck, trying to make himself look good for when we eventually move on. How dare he.

Fixed.

Perhaps it's merely semantics, and under different circumstances would have no relevancy, but in this case it does given his need to run his mouth. If this jackass is really going to sit there and pat himself on the back for his so-called "win" after 4 years of abysmal failures and another awful preseason, he can quite frankly go **** himself.

There wasn't four years of abysmal failures. Just two.

No it was not. That is revisionist crap. It was a 9-7 team with a healthy Brett Favre as QB. Brett Favre was retired after Mangini was fired so he was not part of the team Rex inherited.

A 9-7 team with Favre is not the same 9-7 team with Kellen Clemens.

Without a healthy Brett Favre, the 2008 Jets were a 1-4 football team.

Among the pro bowlers were 3 players Rex didn't have, you do know. One was Faneca at a pro bowl level, two was Favre, and three was Jenkins who got hurt a month into Rex's tenure and we still finished with the #1 defense. So Rex inherited some good players who lasted the season (1 of them, Revis, amazingly great) but mostly overpriced has-been's & never-gonna-be's.

Rex is not the GM and I don't want him as the GM. If he f*cks up this year I don't want him as the HC either.

Personally, I think there is no chance that the 2009 Jets (sans Kris Jenkins as of early October) get as far with an experienced HC in Mangini as with a first-year HC in Rex. Mangini had virtually no eye for strategy and as a coordinator or HC had zero history of success anywhere near Ryan's. Rex has plenty of flaws that drive me mad, but Mangini is no head coach. If you wish he was still here I don't know what to say. Rex may not know offense like some other coaches, but Mangini knew neither offense nor defense. All he knew was how to be a complete a$$hole to everyone around him, which is why he's never getting another head coaching gig ever again. I have doubts he'll ever reach the lofty rank of coordinator ever again, since he doesn't know how to strategize on either side of the ball.

The thing Mangini never got was that BB can be an a$$hole because he's good at what he does. Being an a$$hole isn't what makes him good. It just makes him an a$$hole.

First, I love you and think you're an excellent poster. However, nowhere was I stating here that Mangini>Rex. I'm stating that Rex inherited a better (not "awesome") team than the one Rex is leaving behind, especially if you inly count the pre-Idzik pieces that were brought in the last three years. That's it. I fully realize that Rex didn't inherit the same 2008 team that was 8-3 at one point, due to Favre's departure. But the Next Coach post-Rex is getting a stripped-down, bare-bones team that will likely finish 6-10 this year.

First, I love you and think you're an excellent poster. However, nowhere was I stating here that Mangini>Rex. I'm stating that Rex inherited a better (not "awesome") team than the one Rex is leaving behind, especially if you inly count the pre-Idzik pieces that were brought in the last three years. That's it. I fully realize that Rex didn't inherit the same 2008 team that was 8-3 at one point, due to Favre's departure. But the Next Coach post-Rex is getting a stripped-down, bare-bones team that will likely finish 6-10 this year.

Jerk.

Archived