flgreen

Rex: Sanchez off Mark on QB competition

By Brian Costello

September 13, 2013 | 5:22pm

Modal Trigger

sanchez8.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Mark Sanchez

Photo: Getty Images

Jets coach Rex Ryan is not ruling out a return for quarterback Mark Sanchez, but said he does not share Sanchez’s belief that he won the quarterback competition this summer before he injured his right shoulder.

“His comments that he clearly thinks he won the competition or whatever, that’s his opinion,” Ryan said Friday.

Sanchez told the NFL Network he was frustrated by the injury because he knew he had beat out Geno Smith for the starting job.

“There is no doubt. It was a done deal,” Sanchez told the network.

Not if you ask Ryan.

“I never said he won the competition,” Ryan said.

Ryan chalked up Sanchez’s comments to the quarterback’s belief in himself.

“I think as a competitor that’s what you expect,” Ryan said. “His point of view would be that’s it. You want your players to believe that. If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will. I certainly would expect that from any competitor to think they’re winning the job and things.”

Ryan said he has been encouraged by Sanchez’s rehab on the shoulder and the Jets do not expect him to miss the rest of the season. Sanchez hopes to return, but if he needs surgery, his season is over. As The Post reported Thursday, none of the doctors who have evaluated Sanchez have told him surgery is necessary right now.

“If we didn’t think it would be realistic that Mark would get on the field he would be put on IR. That’s not the case,” Ryan said.

Ryan would not say whether rookie Dee Milliner will return to the starting lineup next week against the Bills after getting benched Thursday night.

Ryan sent the No. 9 overall pick to the bench after Milliner struggled in the first half of Thursday’s 13-10 Jets loss to the Patriots.

“He’s going to be an excellent player,” Ryan said. “At that time, I just thought it was best to sit him down and let him watch it. We’ll go with more experience out there. That’s what we did. That’s all that this kid is lacking is just the NFL experience.”

There were some hefty fines handed down by the NFL after last week’s Jets game with the Buccaneers.

Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson was fined $30,000 for his hit on Jets tight end Jeff Cumberland for striking a defenseless player in the head and neck area. The hit sent Cumberland’s teeth through his lip and he needed stitches in his chin.

Jets safety Dawan Landry was fined $21,000 for hitting Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Williams on his touchdown reception. Landry was fined for striking a defenseless player in the head and neck area.

Bucs linebacker Lavonte David was fined $7,875 for shoving Smith out of bounds. That penalty set up the Jets’ game-winning field goal.

Ryan had no update on DE Muhammad Wilkerson’s ankle injury. He also said he was unsure whether WR Jeremy Kerley (concussion) will be able to return for next week.

The NFL is reviewing the skirmish in the final minute of Thursday’s game, set off when Jets center Nick Mangold dove for a low tackle of Patriots corner Aqib Talib as he spun out of bounds. Mangold and fellow offensive linemen Willie Colon and D’Brickashaw Ferguson — both of whom were ejected in the aftermath — are candidates for league discipline.

he is just keeping all the QB's on edge

not sure if its a great strategy

at some point the team needs to know ho the QB is

at this point there's virtually zero chance Sanchez ever takes another snap for the Jets.  This nonsense about the competition not being over is Idzik being Idzik.

why is the media so obsessed with Mark Sanchez? he's more or less irrelevant.

also, if he's going to stand on the sidelines, someone PLEASE cut his hair. I don't care if you have to hold him down, but if he's going to stand there, he could at least provide some value to me by looking good.

also, if he's going to stand on the sidelines, someone PLEASE cut his hair. I don't care if you have to hold him down, but if he's going to stand there, he could at least provide some value to me by looking good.

Mark wanted to out Brady Tom Brady.  He missed on so many fronts

End this Rex and cut him or IR him.

What happened to Rexs rule that injured players weren't allowed on the sidelines?

They aren't going to cut him or put him on the IR because they think he can come back.

And I have never heard such a rule. Sanchez is providing Geno with valuable insight. Geno has said as much.

He's growing it out for locks of love. But sure, since you hate it.

doubt it.

From the Locks of Love Donations page webpage:

spaceholder1x1.gif

HOW TO DONATE

• 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.

http://blog.nj.com/jets_impact/print.html?entry=/2013/05/mark_sanchez_headband_phenomen.html

Star-Ledger Staff By Star-Ledger Staff

Follow on Twitter

on May 02, 2013 at 4:47 PM, updated May 02, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Mark Sanchez is debating growing his hair and potentially donating to the Locks of Love charity program.

Until then, the new, much longer hairdo will be contained by a buzz-worthy headband.

Moments after Sanchez’s televised interviews inside the Jets facility, his headband, which he said is a nod to some European soccer players, got its own Twitter account and plenty of buzz from former teammates and fans on Twitter.

The account, @SanchezHeadband, already has more than 100 followers.

Jets fans, what do you think of the new look?

© 2013 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324049504578543724225971236.html

Sanchez insisted his decision to wear the headbands is less about sartorial trendsetting than it is about function: "I'm so used to having shorter hair where you don't really do much to it, where you just dry it off and go. So it's a little different." He had wanted to grow his hair out anyway, and once he gets it trimmed, he plans to donate the clippings to Locks of Love, a charity that provides wigs and hairpieces to children suffering from medical-related hair loss. "Why just cut it if you can do something good with it?" he said.

Yah, so. That.

Yeah, I can use google too. You don't just clip off some trimmings and hand them over. They have to be 10 inches, braided or in a ponytail. I highly doubt that Sanchez is growing out his hair that long. Unless he's going full Cher...which would be fitting, I guess.

Yeah, I can use google too. You don't just clip off some trimmings and hand them over. They have to be 10 inches, braided or in a ponytail. I highly doubt that Sanchez is growing out his hair that long. Unless he's going full Cher...which would be fitting, I guess.

The guy is making 8.5 million this year to do zippo. It's probably more symbolic and he'll donate money because he's a charitable dude.

You are a ray of sunshine

Archived