Colts acquire Trent Richardson for 1st round pick

gsnts725

Meh, he's not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be.  This is the old Curtis Martin debate, just because he's not Barry Sanders, doesnt mean he sucks.  Having a clock eating tempo RB who is versatile is an enormous advantage and flat out helps you win ball games.  Its way too often overlooked.  Especially for a team like the Colts who can now keep a defense guessing. 

The guy scored 12 total TD's last year as a rookie with a rookie QB on one of the worst teams in the NFL.  The Colts had 6 rushing TD's come from their RBs, Luck had 5.  Richardson was also a nice safety option for Weeden out of the backfield adding 50 receptions.

He's going to help Luck and that offense.  No doubt about it.

I never said Trent sucks. He's just not an elite back and was over drafted. If you're playing with a lead, he's a great guy to have. He's not jump starting an offense though.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never said Trent sucks. He's just not an elite back and was over drafted. If you're playing with a lead, he's a great guy to have. He's not jump starting an offense though.

I agree he was over drafted. But I'm also in the camp of you don't draft Rbs in the 1st.

Either way, he might be able to jump start an offense. It's really hard to jump start the Browns and he ocassionally did. So you never know what be can do on an explosive offense.

I agree he was over drafted. But I'm also in the camp of you don't draft Rbs in the 1st.

Either way, he might be able to jump start an offense. It's really hard to jump start the Browns and he ocassionally did. So you never know what be can do on an explosive offense.

Gordon jump started the offense.

What's so special about Richardson?

He's 20 lbs heavier than McCoy but runs just as fast. McCoy is probably the best back in the leauge after Peterson, partly bc he plays in an offense tailor made for him. Reid's WCO worked just as well. But he's 5'11 200 lbs...that wouldn't work for everybody.

If I want to run more of a traditional pro style offense it'd be a tougher choice between the two...if both were healthy.

The Colts obviously think he's worth a first round pick, nough said there.

You bring up McCoy's injuries yet neglect to mention Richardson had arthroscopic on the left knee to start his rookie camp then played with broken ribs all year. Still just missed 1000 yards an had double digit TDs as a rookie.

He hasn't experienced McCoy's production yet but I would put him on the same tier in terms of talent depending style or scheme. Especially considering we haven't even seen him 100% healthy.

I think the fear with Cleveland was that he'll always be banged up.

All that said, when healthy he's as talented as any back in the league.

Do to running style and injuries he may never come close to McCoys production however. That I would agree with.

Call it an argument in semantics but TRich has as much talent as any back in the league.

He's 20 lbs heavier than McCoy but runs just as fast. McCoy is probably the best back in the leauge after Peterson, partly bc he plays in an offense tailor made for him. Reid's WCO worked just as well. But he's 5'11 200 lbs...that wouldn't work for everybody.

If I want to run more of a traditional pro style offense it'd be a tougher choice between the two...if both were healthy.

You bring up McCoy's injuries yet neglect to mention Richardson had arthroscopic on the left knee to start his rookie camp then played with broken ribs all year. Still just missed 1000 yards an had double digit TDs as a rookie.

He hasn't experienced McCoy's production yet but I would put him on the same tier in terms of talent depending style or scheme. Especially considering we haven't even seen him 100% healthy.

Do to running style and injuries he may never come close to McCoys production however. That I would agree with.

Call it an argument in semantics but TRich has as much talent as any back in the league.

The only way I can rebut this is by saying I dont see what you see. Speed, quickness, lateral movement- I dont think Mccoy and Richardson are on the same planet. Spiller too. 1000 yards and double digit TD's. 

Martin's the guy I'd compare Trent with considering their draft slots and builds. You taking Trent over Martin?

Im not saying he sucks, he doesnt. I think his ceiling is Corey Dillon. That's pretty damn good actually. It's just not as much of a fit for today's NFL.

He's very talented, but all those injuries in his 1st year, especially as a rb? I'm kind of conflicted on this trade, Richardson is very talented but you don't pick rb's in the 1st round anymore. He's also a fan favorite so I feel bad for Browns fans but this might be a good trade for them actually. They should have tried to get more picks from the Colts though. Also, they badly need a qb, guard, and wr's and apparently the 2014 draft class is loaded so it might be a really damn good move if they draft well. Perhaps they pick up Clowney in the 1st, trade down to the second and draft Manziel?

The only way I can rebut this is by saying I dont see what you see. Speed, quickness, lateral movement- I dont think Mccoy and Richardson are on the same planet. Spiller too.

Martin's the guy I'd compare Trent with considering their draft slots and builds. You taking Trent over Martin?

i would...however Richardson already has some long term durability red flags...hence the trade I think.

Agree how you're slotting them in two different styles.

He's very talented, but all those injuries in his 1st year, especially as a rb? I'm kind of conflicted on this trade, Richardson is very talented but you don't pick rb's in the 1st round anymore. He's also a fan favorite so I feel bad for Browns fans but this might be a good trade for them actually. They should have tried to get more picks from the Colts though. Also, they badly need a qb, guard, and wr's and apparently the 2014 draft class is loaded so it might be a really damn good move if they draft well. Perhaps they pick up Clowney in the 1st, trade down to the second and draft Manziel?

they are positioning themselves to trade up for the top QB me thinks.

Ehh, they traded a top 5 pick for something in the 20 range.  Doesn't seem too smart to me, unless they have already internally turned the page on Weeden, in which case it's a possibility they're going to go through a whole overhaul.  

Ehh, they traded a top 5 pick for something in the 20 range.  Doesn't seem too smart to me, unless they have already internally turned the page on Weeden, in which case it's a possibility they're going to go through a whole overhaul.  

Richardson shouldn't have been a top 5 pick in the first. You don't draft rb's in the top 10. Especially when you have to trade up to get him. Browns front office was sh*t those years, at least the Browns fans get to look forward to their front office having massive balls. Who knows what they'll do with those picks though. Apparently they were scouting the AM game, looking at Manziel perhaps?

Which is exactly why you don't draft rb's in the top 5. I feel bad for the browns, traded up for him and drafted Weeden. Luckily they cleared house and are making some moves.

Don't feel bad for them dude ... they get a first round pick and might get something for Weedon when they cut him loose. We have dickfist for our first round picks in 08,09, and 10. 

Don't feel bad for them dude ... they get a first round pick and might get something for Weedon when they cut him loose. We have dickfist for our first round picks in 08,09, and 10. 

True, but Browns have blown so many picks for so long you have to feel bad for them, also when was the last time they made the playoffs? We at least made the Afc championship game two years in row. 

The Colts definitely are committing to the run with OC Pep Hamilton, so this move made perfect sense for them.  And if they expect to make the playoffs, that 24th-28th range pick is small price to pay for a former top 5 pick who has, for the most part, proven to be a pretty solid back.

Just don't know how this is a GOOD move for the Browns.  Will that late round pick help them get a top QB any more than they would if they rolled Weeden out there?  Were they not going to get into Boyd/Bridgewater territory ANYWAYS?  Plus it tells the fans, very clearly, that 2013 does not matter and you have no reason to show up.  I guess I struggle to see why they didn't get more out of the deal.

For the fans it sucks, but a RB is spilled milk for a first round pick. It's not as if Richardson is going to be making much of a difference for the Browns, he'd end up worn down early for a bad team that needs to rely on a RB too much to score.*

This is kind of an indictment on running in the NFL right now. It's important, but by itself it's the weakest possible strength for a team to have.*

* Adrian Peterson is exempt.

isn't manziel a sophomore ?

doesn't that mean he isn't eligible for the draft for 2 more years ?

Red-shirt sophomore; as the stupid rule goes, a player is eligible after three years out of high school, so he can leave if he wants.  The kid's family is from oil, he probably doesn't know a single person who's worked a day in his life, so I also wouldn't put it past him to just stay and live the life another year. On the other hand, with all the sh*t he's been getting for being a grade A douche, he might just opt to leave anyways.

For the fans it sucks, but a RB is spilled milk for a first round pick. It's not as if Richardson is going to be making much of a difference for the Browns, he'd end up worn down early for a bad team that needs to rely on a RB too much to score.*

This is kind of an indictment on running in the NFL right now. It's important, but by itself it's the weakest possible strength for a team to have.*

* Adrian Peterson is exempt.

Mccoy and Spiller should be included there too. They can do too much to just be considered a back. 

The ability to make people miss has nothing to do with the team you're on. Mccoy had the concussion issues last year and still averaged 4.2 a clip.

I'm fairly certain you're on SEC guy, which makes it harder for you to see the light. I've got not dog in this race, its just my opinion. You want to talk about elite Bama talent.... Julio Jones is an absolute stud and the Falcons could have given up another first round pick to get him. 

Why Trent gets the most hype out of the last 3, I dont get. No one had any issues admitting Ingram wasnt that good.

The concussion was in the last 3rd of the season. He was meh before the concussion for 2 months. Then Bryce Brown came in behind the same line and looked like McCoy from the year prior (plus fumbles, of course). He looked better than healthy McCoy did, like he had an extra gear McCoy didn't have anymore. The concussion is no excuse for his pre-concussion numbers.

Red-shirt sophomore; as the stupid rule goes, a player is eligible after three years out of high school, so he can leave if he wants.  The kid's family is from oil, he probably doesn't know a single person who's worked a day in his life, so I also wouldn't put it past him to just stay and live the life another year. On the other hand, with all the sh*t he's been getting for being a grade A douche, he might just opt to leave anyways.

ahhhh

thanks for clearing that up

The concussion was in the last 3rd of the season. He was meh before the concussion for 2 months. Then Bryce Brown came in behind the same line and looked like McCoy from the year prior (plus fumbles, of course). He looked better than healthy McCoy did, like he had an extra gear McCoy didn't have anymore. The concussion is no excuse for his pre-concussion numbers.

There was never any time Bryce Brown looked remotely similar to Lesean Mccoy. He had two good games where no one knew who he was and was running sweeps and beating everyone to the outside.

There was that one time Matt Flynn looked like Aaron Rodgers though.

ahhhh

thanks for clearing that up

Anytime. I've met a few people like Manziel; their family is worth so much money that he legitimately had never met a person who worked a day in their life until he got to college.  Luck comes from money, not oil money, but his family is still well off and yet you don't get that same sense of douchey-entitledness that Manziel has.  Reports are that a lot of teams have him completely off their board due to that attitude, but as the saying goes, it only takes one.  I'm really excited to see how this year plays out in the SEC.

Archived