Colts acquire Trent Richardson for 1st round pick

gsnts725

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he screws up the picks he'll be gone. Not having Trent Richardson? Meh. I'm sure they can replace the 3.5 YPC with a guy not demanding the ball every down.

Lombardi essentially burned the four picks involved in drafting Richardson and about $13 million dollars in exchange for, what, the 23rd, 24th overall pick? I keep seeing how this trade puts them in a position to draft a franchise quarterback. They're not getting a franchise quarterback at 24 unless there's an Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees that falls.

Lombardi essentially burned the four picks involved in drafting Richardson and about $13 million dollars in exchange for, what, the 23rd, 24th overall pick? I keep seeing how this trade puts them in a position to draft a franchise quarterback. They're not getting a franchise quarterback at 24 unless there's an Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees that falls.

I think it was just as much about not wanting to hitch their wagons/offense to a 1990's type running back. BJGE is fine on the Patriots closing out games. Cleveland needed a gamebreaker.

They're starting Brian Hoyer. The ultimate symbol of resignation, a human white flag. They'll be in position to take a QB of their choice

I don't think the Colts will necessarily pick that low, but I think the point wasn't that they were going to pick a QB with the Colts pick, but that the Colts and Browns picks together give them ammo to trade up for Bridgewater or whoever.  With Clowney in the draft they probably will only have to move up to #2 to get their pick.  Besides, can't they get Johnny Football at the bottom of the round? 

For you guys who didn't understand why the trade was made, here's an article that helped me understand it.  I'm not saying I agree with their decision and/or rationale, but on some levels it definitely makes sense.  I bolded the key points.

It's an excuse to tank for teddy; I just don't understand how you give up that type of talent for a low first rounder.  You're basically admitting to your fan-base that you're punting the season, whether they admit it or not.  That's tough to swallow for all the sh*t browns' fans have had to deal with lately.

It's an excuse to tank for teddy; I just don't understand how you give up that type of talent for a low first rounder.  You're basically admitting to your fan-base that you're punting the season, whether they admit it or not.  That's tough to swallow for all the sh*t browns' fans have had to deal with lately.

Because they didnt think he was that type of talent. They were selling while they could still get a first, in their minds.

Because they didnt think he was that type of talent. They were selling while they could still get a first, in their minds.

Do we know if the Colts were the only ones who would give up a 1st for the guy, or is this just the assumption?

The team that comes to mind who I think would make that deal and maybe even give up more would be the Rams.  They have a lot of young talent after the RG3 trade with the Redskins, but after losing Steven Jackson are left with a bunch of JAG's at the RB position.  They expect to be near the back end of the 1st round this year too. 

Do we know if the Colts were the only ones who would give up a 1st for the guy, or is this just the assumption?

The team that comes to mind who I think would make that deal and maybe even give up more would be the Rams.  They have a lot of young talent after the RG3 trade with the Redskins, but after losing Steven Jackson are left with a bunch of JAG's at the RB position.  They expect to be near the back end of the 1st round this year too. 

I'm sure we'll know more about how the conversations even started in the coming weeks. 

lot of back and forth in this thread about Richardson being an average, injury prone RB. the fact is, he was the #3 pick in the draft. Weeden was 22. they also forfeitted their 2013 2nd rounder for Gordon. so as an organization, they punted away this draft. completely and utterly punted it. I understand regime changes, you want to get your guys in, you want to stockpile draft picks, but thats just sad. it's really brutal for the fans. team continues to be a laughing stock. at least their Defense is decent. Joe Haden is a freak, they got that pick right in 2010. 

edit Gordon and Little are both turds. i was thinking Gordon was more smelly but it was Little who was driving 127. still funny. clowns. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23254196/browns-issue-statement-after-little-gordon-reported-traffic-violations

More reasons why the deal is great for the Colts:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/75160/the-browns-hit-reset-again-with-an-unprecedented-trade

It's a deal that furthers Indianapolis's two primary goals. One is to compete with the roster as currently constructed in 2013, an idea that led them to sign a number of veterans in free agency this offseason. The other is to do the best job possible of protecting Luck. In both cases, it's struggling. Indy barely beat the Raiders at home in Week 1 before losing to Miami, and Luck is on pace to be knocked down 112 times, a significant jump from his 83 knockdowns last year, which was in itself significantly higher than anybody else in the league. If Luck ends up getting hit at that rate in 2013, he would be getting hit about twice as frequently as any other NFL quarterback. That's why the Colts invested in tackle Gosder Cherilus and left guard Donald Thomas (who is also out for the year and whose replacement, Hugh Thornton, also got beat on that play above). If Richardson can give Indianapolis a solid ground game, it'll take the pressure off Luck and keep him upright on those plays when he throws.

The Colts are also getting Richardson at a greatly reduced price. While they do miss out on one year of a cost-controlled Richardson by trading for him during his sophomore season, they're not forced to repay any of Richardson's already paid $13.3 million signing bonus to the Browns, who will see the remaining unassigned (in terms of the salary cap) $10.1 million of that bonus accelerate onto their cap in 2013 ($3.5 million) and 2014 ($6.7 million). Instead, the Colts basically have Richardson signed to a guaranteed three-year deal for an average of about $2.2 million per season. If Richardson succeeds in his new digs, the Colts will get a franchise running back at less than half of his original price and at pennies of his true market value.

More reasons why the deal is great for the Colts:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/75160/the-browns-hit-reset-again-with-an-unprecedented-trade

It's a deal that furthers Indianapolis's two primary goals. One is to compete with the roster as currently constructed in 2013, an idea that led them to sign a number of veterans in free agency this offseason. The other is to do the best job possible of protecting Luck. In both cases, it's struggling. Indy barely beat the Raiders at home in Week 1 before losing to Miami, and Luck is on pace to be knocked down 112 times, a significant jump from his 83 knockdowns last year, which was in itself significantly higher than anybody else in the league. If Luck ends up getting hit at that rate in 2013, he would be getting hit about twice as frequently as any other NFL quarterback. That's why the Colts invested in tackle Gosder Cherilus and left guard Donald Thomas (who is also out for the year and whose replacement, Hugh Thornton, also got beat on that play above). If Richardson can give Indianapolis a solid ground game, it'll take the pressure off Luck and keep him upright on those plays when he throws.

The Colts are also getting Richardson at a greatly reduced price. While they do miss out on one year of a cost-controlled Richardson by trading for him during his sophomore season, they're not forced to repay any of Richardson's already paid $13.3 million signing bonus to the Browns, who will see the remaining unassigned (in terms of the salary cap) $10.1 million of that bonus accelerate onto their cap in 2013 ($3.5 million) and 2014 ($6.7 million). Instead, the Colts basically have Richardson signed to a guaranteed three-year deal for an average of about $2.2 million per season. If Richardson succeeds in his new digs, the Colts will get a franchise running back at less than half of his original price and at pennies of his true market value.

You forgot this:

The issue for Richardson, truthfully, has been breaking big plays. As I wroteover the summer, Richardson has been horrifically unable to generate big plays with his legs so far as a pro. Just 0.7 percent of his carries last year went for 20 yards or more, the fifth-lowest rate among running backs with 200 single-season carries or more over the past five years. That's likely to bounce back a bit in 2013, but it hasn't happened yet through two games; Richardson's longest carry of the year so far went for 10 yards.

this guy Matt3 REALLLLLLLLLLY hates Richardson wow relax dude we get it 

Seriously.  He's going to frame every argument to say that the Browns got a heist and the Colts are no better off than they were.  Both teams benefit, but the Browns should have gotten more out of the deal.  Pretty simple.

Seriously.  He's going to frame every argument to say that the Browns got a heist and the Colts are no better off than they were.  Both teams benefit, but the Browns should have gotten more out of the deal.  Pretty simple.

Browns are just cutting bait with what was a goofy pick on a RB at 3.  Yeah they got screwed, but it was their own fault by taking him that low in the first place.

They just have to pray that they lose to the Jags.  This might be the first  time a new HC gets fired for winning

I don't think the Colts will necessarily pick that low, but I think the point wasn't that they were going to pick a QB with the Colts pick, but that the Colts and Browns picks together give them ammo to trade up for Bridgewater or whoever.  With Clowney in the draft they probably will only have to move up to #2 to get their pick.  Besides, can't they get Johnny Football at the bottom of the round? 

Allegedly, Lombardi is in love with Manziel and thinks by next April he will be the concensus #1. 

For those who understand how the draft works, this is a great deal for the Colts. You get on-field value from next year's first rounder right now. 

Browns are just cutting bait with what was a goofy pick on a RB at 3.

I'm just not sure how much WHERE Richardson was drafted should factor in.  The owner is still here but everyone else behind that decision are gone.  Simply put, they didn't draft him, they weren't tied to him, they need a QB, so they traded him.  Whether he was drafted too early or not is irrelevant.

Maybe.  As I read the article, it sounded to me as if there were some behind the scenes issues that Chudzinski and/or the Front Office had with Richardson,and/or that he just wasn't they type of back or player they wanted or felt they needed.  Maybe his work ethic isn't very good, or he's not a team player or doesn't buy into Chudzinski's system or philosophy.  He's been healthy this year and only has 105 yards in 2 games in something like 31 carries.  That's not very good or effective.  

It sounds like they're going to do a major rebuild.  If he doesn't fit their plans going forward, why keep him?  They may not have been able to get anywhere near a first round pick for him during the offseason.  Most teams will not use a first round pick (even a low one) on a RB any more.  I don't think I would, even for a player of Richardson's talents.  Indy was desperate for a RB.  What Cleveland got is probably as good as they could get.  Having 7 picks in the first 4 rounds will be awesome for them if they use the draft picks wisely.  They can totally re-shape their team.

I think their fans should be able to understand and accept the trade if not embrace it.  That team sucks.  They weren't going to win many games this season regardless.  It would be the ultimate sham and pretense and self-defeating to have kept Richardson if he doesn't fit their plans.  Winning one or two more games because of him won't help them rebuild their team, and getting less for him in the offseason than a first round pick would hurt their ability to rebuild more quickly.  There are some very real parallel with the Jets right now.  Some fans are wanting the team to burn draft picks to trade for some Diva WR who's been bad or a problem child with his present club.  IMO that's just flat out stupid.  It accomplishes nothing.  Winning 1-2 more games is meaningless in the big picture, if you've wasted resources that you could use in next year's draft and/or FA to more quickly rebuild the team.

How/why should they have gotten more when most teams in the NFL won't use a first round pick on a RB?  That makes no sense.  It would be one thing if Richardson had led the league in rushing last year with 1,800 yards or something and already had 300 yards this year.  He didn't/doesn't.  He also has already had a lot of nagging injuries.  He's not a good fit in Cleveland and Indy evidently isn't stupid.  Probably the only reason they gave up their first is that they're desperate.  They were a playoff team last year, should be again this year and have nothing at RB due to injury.

I'm just not sure how much WHERE Richardson was drafted should factor in.  The owner is still here but everyone else behind that decision are gone.  Simply put, they didn't draft him, they weren't tied to him, they need a QB, so they traded him.  Whether he was drafted too early or not is irrelevant.

I agree.   The argument seems to be that they got screwed because he was drafted at 3, and traded for a pick in the 20's.  At this point it doesn't matter.  The guy wasn't a world changer, and still has first round value. 

Move on, good trade for every one.  Unless of course the Browns start to win.  Then the whole thing becomes very funny.  Sure hope both the Jags and Browns are 1 and whatever come their game, should be a classic

You're not getting a 1 for Foster. Funny thing is he'd be a much better fit for the Colts. Tate too.

i agree not to use 1st rounders on RBs (except AP). So does Lombardi which is why I actually like the trade from the Browns perspective. Of he's the missing piece for the Colts then maybe it turns into a win win but I think they're still not there yet. The gamble is on Indy though, not Cleveland IMO.

i agree not to use 1st rounders on RBs (except AP). So does Lombardi which is why I actually like the trade from the Browns perspective. Of he's the missing piece for the Colts then maybe it turns into a win win but I think they're still not there yet. The gamble is on Indy though, not Cleveland IMO.

Once Ballard went down I'm sure Cleveland picked up the phone. They were hopping on the first injury.

Plus Irsay it's exactly afraid to make a splash. Maybe they should have kept Peyton....

It's not about talent Matt. It's about a 3-4 yr project and questioning your RBs long term durability. The Colts think they're ready now obviously.

if he's healthy Richardson is a top 10 talent.

They now have more flexibility to target the QB they want next year.

Once Ballard went down I'm sure Cleveland picked up the phone. They were hopping on the first injury.

Plus Irsay it's exactly afraid to make a splash. Maybe they should have kept Peyton....

Why? They now have one of the best nucleus of young offensive talent in the league. Probably a FA or two away from being set for the next 3-4 years minimum, barring injuries.

It's not about talent Matt. It's about a 3-4 yr project and questioning your RBs long term durability. The Colts think they're ready now obviously.

if he's healthy Richardson is a top 10 talent.

They now have more flexibility to target the QB they want next year.

I dont think the Colts are win now, especially not this year. You can find a better back in the draft next season. We disagree on Trent's talent and where the Colts are at. They're still a ways away IMO.

Im just still annoyed folks here wouldn't believe me that Shonn Greene sucked. I also really like discussing/projecting running backs.

fair. and for sure, Shonn was a plodding, falling down douche. hit the nail on the head with that one.

just think you should lay off Trent a little bit. as a bruiser type back, he's fine. pretty much every player in the league is injury prone, it's the nature of the game. the kid went to Alabama for goodness sake, they don't just hand out those scholarships to any average joe 

Why? They now have one of the best nucleus of young offensive talent in the league. Probably a FA or two away from being set for the next 3-4 years minimum, barring injuries.

Luck is a stud obviously. Hilton is a better version of a prime Santana Moss. Wayne's almost done. Fleener is a pussy.

If Trent balls out, sure. I just don't think he's that type of guy, especially for an indoor team.

I dont think the Colts are win now, especially not this year. You can find a better back in the draft next season. We disagree on Trent's talent and where the Colts are at. They're still a ways away IMO.

No, I said I don't think the Colts are there yet. But I think they're getting close. They probably think they're even closer. Adding proven pieces to surround your franchise QB at a position of need isn't a bad thing IMO. If Richardson stays healthy he's worth it. If he can't someone is probably getting fired in the Indy FO.

No, I said I don't think the Colts are there yet. But I think they're getting close. They probably think they're even closer. Adding proven pieces to surround your franchise QB at a position of need isn't a bad thing IMO. If Richardson stays healthy he's worth it. If he can't someone is probably getting fired in the Indy FO.

If Richardson turns into Luck's Edgerrin James, then you'll be right.

Crazy to think the Colts traded Marshall Faulk. But Peyton/Archi ran the show at the time...wonder how much input Luck had on this.

Archived