sore loser 49er fans crying about the CROWD NOISE in Seattle...

Blackout

http://mynorthwest.com/275/2356634/Letter-to-editor-asks-12th-Man-to-pipe-down

In a letter to the editor in the San Francisco Chronicle, two fans, Judy Spelman and Rich Schiller, accuse the 12th Man of poor conduct during Sunday's 29-to-3 rout.

They wrote:

Was anyone else appalled by the unsportsmanlike conduct of the Seattle Seahawks and their fans, juiced on noise, which surely creates as big an advantage over an opponent as any performance enhancing drug and which, to their shame, NFL officials turn the same blind eye they have to concussions and drugs ("Seattle states case loudly, clearly in rout," Sports, Sept. 16)?
It would be simple to fix. Seahawks players and managers would ask their fans to cease and desist, and the NFL would implement a new rule: The visiting team may stop the game when fan noise is greater than a specified decibel level, and should this rule be violated in more than three games, no home games will be played at the offending field for the rest of the season, including playoff games. Things would quiet down.

At a time when the world seems sour, sports give us a place of joy, community and hope, and to have it spoiled is a bigger loss than it seems on the surface.

710 ESPN's Brock Huard did a little digging around and discovered the writers of the letter were a doctor and a nurse. However, it's not that they seemed too concern with the health of anyone's eardrums.

But they do have a point. Danny O'Neil said there is still a rule in the NFL referee handbook that allows for a quarterback, if he can't hear, to appeal to the referee to quiet the crowd.

Brock and Danny agree that asking the crowd to tone it down is almost always guaranteed to backfire. They say the fans will only get crazier and crazier.

"Every team has discovered that is a terrible thing to do," said Danny.

Spelman and Schiller said there should be consequences for the Seahawks and their Guinness World Record-holding fans too.

It turns out there are consequences, but only if CenturyLink was pumping in sound to the stadium. "The Seahawks would be fined substantially," said Brock.

But the writers want something more tangible - they don't want the Seahawks to be able to play games at home.

There is a precedent for sports teams to lose their home field advantage.

It happens in Europe to soccer teams. "But usually it's the result of murders, riots and mayhem - not from people making too much noise," said Danny. "I've got a solution for (Spelman and Schiller,) if they don't want the noise to be too much of a problem: play better. The crowd tends to be a lot quieter when you're down 21-0."

wow...what a bunch of softy's!  it's football, not golf!

Pretty sure they've been pumping in crowd noise for years now.

If not, I'd like an explanation as to how that kind of city can produce that kind of noise, not being particularly a sports city, and a team that is not a historical winner like the Steelers or Cowboys nor with the fanbase to match....

If not, I'd like an explanation as to how that kind of city can produce that kind of noise, not being particularly a sports city, and a team that is not a historical winner like the Steelers or Cowboys nor with the fanbase to match....

not being a sports city??

you realize those MFers are STILL extremely bitter over losing the Supersonics, right?  They love their Seahawks because it's the only good team they have left now.

Coffee!! Those bastards juice the beans.

There used to be a rule on the books that if the crowd is too noisy for his team to hear, the QB can ask the refs to quiet the crowd.  Then if the crowd doesn't get quiet after a warning or two, the ref can penalize the home team.  I used to see teams do that all the time.  Did they do away with that rule or something?  Watching that game I couldn't understand why Kapernick and the 49ers didn't get the refs to quiet the crowd so they could hear.

There used to be a rule on the books that if the crowd is too noisy for his team to hear, the QB can ask the refs to quiet the crowd.  Then if the crowd doesn't get quiet after a warning or two, the ref can penalize the home team.  I used to see teams do that all the time.  Did they do away with that rule or something?  Watching that game I couldn't understand why Kapernick and the 49ers didn't get the refs to quiet the crowd so they could hear.

I remember that, it is one of the stranger rules.  If it is still on the books they definitely don't enforce it.

I remember that, it is one of the stranger rules.  If it is still on the books they definitely don't enforce it.

Why is it strange?  An offense should be able to hear their QB's play calls.  It's poor sportsmanship for fans to cheer so loudly that an opposing offense can't hear its QB's signals.  There are other penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct, do you think they are strange, too?  Should players be able to taunt each other endlessly, moon the fans, etc. and act like a bunch of low-class, show off, egocentric idiots?  

The rule should be enforced, and probably would be if teams were smart enough to complain.  I don't think the refs should enforce it if the other team is too stupid to complain.  Maybe Harbaugh doesn't know that rule or something or was just so arrogant that he thought he could win anyway.  I put the blame on him.  He should have instructed Kapernick to stop and turn to the ref every time the Seattle fans got amped up.

I always thought that rule was a load of crap anyway.

Crowd noise is part of having home field advantage. It is too bad that alot of places are not like Seattle or Kansas City (Also very loud)

49'ers fans need to get a grip.

Yes it's a part of home field advantage, but it's also poor sportsmanship.  I realize that in this uncivilized era where anything goes and civility by and large has been thrown out with the bathwater, but it is a good rule and should be enforced.  If the home team can't win without having to resort to crap like that, then they deserve to lose imo.

Why is it strange?  An offense should be able to hear their QB's play calls.  It's poor sportsmanship for fans to cheer so loudly that an opposing offense can't hear its QB's signals.  The rule should be enforced, and probably would be if teams were smart enough to complain.  I don't think the refs should enforce it if the other team is too stupid to complain.  Maybe Harbaugh doesn't know that rule or something or was just so arrogant that he thought he could win anyway.  I put the blame on him.  He should have instructed Kapernick to stop and turn to the ref every time the Seattle fans got amped up.

It is strange because you want fans into the game but you are putting a limit on it.  Stopping the team from pumping in artificial noise is fine.  But if people want them to scream, let them scream.  It is an emotional sport.

I always thought that rule was a load of crap anyway.

Crowd noise is part of having home field advantage. It is too bad that alot of places are not like Seattle or Kansas City (Also very loud)

49'ers fans need to get a grip.

Totally agree.

It is strange because you want fans into the game but you are putting a limit on it.  Stopping the team from pumping in artificial noise is fine.  But if people want them to scream, let them scream.  It is an emotional sport.

Unreal.  Simply unreal.  Yes, it's an emotional sport, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some constraints to make it a fair contest.  If an offense can't hear its QB, then it severely limits that team's chances of winning.  In that case, all teams might as well just go ahead and forfeit their away games and the league would really have parity (and parody) then.  Every team would be 8-8.

Since it's an emotional game, and players and coaches are emotional too, why not let them (like Sal Alosi) interfere plays on the field?  If a player gets pissed off with being held, why not let him fight the offender?  If a player/coach doesn't like the call of a referee, why not let them beat the hell out of him?  Where does it stop.  Sports are supposed to be about sportsmanship.  Some of you guys have sold your souls just to win.  It's sad and pathetic. 

Unreal.  Simply unreal.  Yes, it's an emotional sport, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some constraints to make it a fair contest.  If an offense can't hear its QB, then it severely limits that team's chances of winning.  In that case, all teams might as well just go ahead and forfeit their away games and the league would really have parity (and parody) then.  Every team would be 8-8.

Since it's an emotional game, and players and coaches are emotional too, why not let them (like Sal Alosi) interfere plays on the field?  If a player gets pissed off with being held, why not let him fight the offender?  If a player/coach doesn't like the call of a referee, why not let them beat the hell out of him?  Where does it stop.  Sports are supposed to be about sportsmanship.  Some of you guys have sold your souls just to win.  It's sad and pathetic. 

Did you read the article, or at least, "skim over it"?  Everything you're discussing was brought up.  Of the major points included:

1.  It is a rule.

2.  It is not an enforceable rule, as asking (potentially drunk/angry/excitable) fans to be quiet often back-fires. 

2b) This isn't throwing snowballs at players, where the guilty party can be singled out and ejected.  

2c) If the home crowd is told to be quiet or face disciplinary measures, what's to stop the away team from getting in on it?  

I would scream my head off if it gave the Jets a 15 yard advantage...and that's kinda the point. 

This is what happens when you build a stadium catered to people who actually care about the game and not sitting in luxury suites.

Or, what happens when you specifically design a stadium to maximize the noise it can create.  

Qwest Field, originally named the Seahawks Stadium, was built intentionally to bounce the noise of the crowd off the partial roof and onto the field.

http://news.discovery.com/human/seahawks-seismic-12th-man.htm

Did you read the article, or at least, "skim over it"?  Everything you're discussing was brought up.  Of the major points included:

1.  It is a rule.

2.  It is not an enforceable rule, as asking (potentially drunk/angry/excitable) fans to be quiet often back-fires. 

2b) This isn't throwing snowballs at players, where the guilty party can be singled out and ejected.  

2c) If the home crowd is told to be quiet or face disciplinary measures, what's to stop the away team from getting in on it?  

I would scream my head off if it gave the Jets a 15 yard advantage...and that's kinda the point. 

No, I didn't read the article because I thought it silly for fans to write to the newspaper and whine about it.  I wasn't responding to the article, but to Max's point.

I just read it now, and the article is not correct.  It is enforceable. Yes, it backfires at first when the QB asks the refs to quiet the crowd.  Then the QB needs to step away from the LOS and complain again.  I've seen that happen 3-4 times, and eventually the refs turn to the D and tell them to get their fans to get quieter or they will be penalized.   I've also seen it enforced numerous times before and penalties be marched off.  You then see the defensive players and players on the sidelines telling the fans to quiet down and they do.

It's how the game should be played imo.  Anything else is just low-class cretin-like behavior.

No, I didn't read the article because I thought it silly for fans to write to the newspaper and whine about it.  I wasn't responding to the article, but to Max's point.

I just read it now, and the article is not correct.  It is enforceable. Yes, it backfires at first when the QB asks the refs to quiet the crowd.  Then the QB needs to step away from the LOS and complain again.  I've seen that happen 3-4 times, and eventually the refs turn to the D and tell them to get their fans to get quieter or they will be penalized.   I've also seen it enforced numerous times before and penalties be marched off.  You then see the defensive players and players on the sidelines telling the fans to quiet down and they do.

It's how the game should be played imo.  Anything else is just low-class cretin-like behavior.

I'll refer you to my point, 2c. 

If the Seahawks are telling their fans to be quiet, or get a 15 yard penalty...and I'm there.  I'm screaming louder than I've ever screamed, even if on the surface it looks like I'm disrupting my own offense.  15 yards is 15 yards.

What is to stop the "away team" fans from inciting the penalty? 

I'll refer you to my point, 2c. 

If the Seahawks are telling their fans to be quiet, or get a 15 yard penalty...and I'm there.  I'm screaming louder than I've ever screamed, even if on the surface it looks like I'm disrupting my own offense.  15 yards is 15 yards.

What is to stop the "away team" fans from inciting the penalty? 

Because in most stadiums there aren't enough visiting fans to make enough noise such that the QB can't hear.  In addition, most reasonable fans are not gonna do something stupid like that.  They're gonna trust that their own offense can get the job done.

Because in most stadiums there aren't enough visiting fans to make enough noise such that the QB can't hear.  In addition, most reasonable fans are not gonna do something stupid like that.  They're gonna trust that their own offense can get the job done.

Have you seen our offense?

(hint: they need as much help as they can get)

Being enthusiastic about your team is low-class, cretin-like behaviour?

This is a total stretch.  Tripping players is the same as fans cheering.  Got it.

A bunch of people chanting defense at the same time is low class?  Wow.

This is an absolutely ridiculous post. 

Yes it's a part of home field advantage, but it's also poor sportsmanship.  I realize that in this uncivilized era where anything goes and civility by and large has been thrown out with the bathwater, but it is a good rule and should be enforced.  If the home team can't win without having to resort to crap like that, then they deserve to lose imo.

I totally disagree with this...

This isn't Cleveland in the 80's with fans throwing dog bones on the field from the Dawg Pound. That there was  an unfair advantage when the opposing team was going down trying to score in that end zone. It is also what makes "The Drive" One of the great moments in NFL History. Not just Elway marching them down the field but Mark Jackson making the catch in that end zone.

To me one of the great moments in Jets history was the way the crowd was jacked up for the 2009 home opener against New England. They were crazy loud that day to the points where Brady got called for back to back delay of game penalties. The fans had an impact on that game in a good way. Something that hasn't happened very often for the Jets.

I don't know, maybe I am getting old at my old age but to me 80,000 fans screaming for their team is a good thing.

Archived