sore loser 49er fans crying about the CROWD NOISE in Seattle...

Blackout

This is a total stretch.  Tripping players is the same as fans cheering.  Got it.

This is a total stretch.  Tripping players is the same as fans cheering.  Got it.

That's not what I said.  I said that if you allow that, what's next?  Where do they draw the line as to what is fair and sportsman like?  30 years ago it would have been unheard of for most fans to cheer so loud continually that the opposing team can't hear its QB, and thus operate at a severe handicap.  The fact that so many of you see nothing wrong with it shows how far our society has gone down the tubes and the lack of sportsmanship and civility

Also the way so many posters try to twist the words of other posters so they have a chance to be a smart ass.  Pathetic.

That's not what I said.  I said that if you allow that, what's next?  Where do they draw the line as to what is fair and sportsman like?  30 years ago it would have been unheard of for most fans to cheer so loud continually that the opposing team can't hear its QB, and thus operate at a severe handicap.  The fact that so many of you see nothing wrong with it shows how far our society has gone down the tubes and the lack of sportsmanship and civility

Also the way so many posters try to twist the words of other posters so they have a chance to be a smart ass.  Pathetic.

I see a theme here, this is like the 5th time I read this with you.  Everyone either twists your words or just doesn't get it.  That's cool.  I am glad we cleared this up.  It is us, not you.  But what do you expect from a bunch of people that has gone down the tubes.

Seriously?  I was at Jets games starting in 1988.  And the things the crowds used to do back then make what happens today look like church.

I totally disagree with this...

This isn't Cleveland in the 80's with fans throwing dog bones on the field from the Dawg Pound. That there was  an unfair advantage when the opposing team was going down trying to score in that end zone. It is also what makes "The Drive" One of the great moments in NFL History. Not just Elway marching them down the field but Mark Jackson making the catch in that end zone.

To me one of the great moments in Jets history was the way the crowd was jacked up for the 2009 home opener against New England. They were crazy loud that day to the points where Brady got called for back to back delay of game penalties. The fans had an impact on that game in a good way. Something that hasn't happened very often for the Jets.

I don't know, maybe I am getting old at my old age but to me 80,000 fans screaming for their team is a good thing.

Where can i nominate this for Post Of The Week??

JoeKlecko convinced me. I will go to games and sit there quietly like I do all week in my cubicle at work.  Football should be a quiet sport.  No more clapping. No more cheering.

I like that idea.

Maybe i can bring a book with me to read.

Well golf claps should still be allowed, and maybe a few oooooh, and ahhhhhhhhh's when something really exciting happens

No, you essentially equated a coach tripping an opposing player along the sidelines, or a player picking a fight on the field, with fans making too much noise at a football game.

It's ironic that someone who consistently posts about other people's reading comprehension problems can't even comprehend his own post, though, so thanks for that.

30 years ago there wasn't even sportsmanship between teams let alone fans.

Being you are a Jets fan you do know the background of the 1982 AFC Championship Game otherwise known as the Mud Bowl don't you ?  It rained in Miami for a week yet no tarp was put on the field. Shula said it was the city of Miami responsibility the city said it was the Dolphins. Why do you think  that field was not covered ? I'll tell you why. The Jets had extremely fast WR's named Wesley Walker and Lam Jones and Derrick Gaffney, and a great cutback runner in Freeman McNeil and leaving the field uncovered like that negated any speed the Jets had. Fair or Unfair ?

Ironically when Jets went back to Miami late in 83, The rains came again but this time the field was covered. Want to know why ? Because the Dolphins had this rookie QB named Marino and guys like Duper, Clayton, and Nat Moore who could all fly.

Now earlier that year the Dolphins had to go to Foxboro and played New England in a snowstrom. Late in the game New England sets up for a field goal and sends out a guy with a snowblower to blow the snow off the area where John Smith is going to kick the game winning field goal. Shula goes berserk about New England getting an unfair advantage when Smith kicks the field goat and the Pats win 3-0.

That is just two there. If you want me to go deeper I can tell you all about the 76 AFC Championship between the Steelers and the Raiders and the ice that was left on the sides of field at Three Rivers Stadium.

You had fans throwing milk bones in the Dawg Pound in Cleveland and going to the South End of Mile High Stadium during late 70's, early 80's was no picnic either.

Go take a look at the 1982 NFC Championship game between Washington and Dallas with the Skins fans screaming "We want Dallas, We Want Dallas throughout the game.

If anything the fans have gotten alot better than 30 years ago.

I long for the ole days when fans were civil

BROOKLYN BEATS BROWNS BY FORFEIT IN NEAR-RIOT

Posted by Ron on Sep 8, 2011 | 0 comments

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – (Sept. 8, 1889) In the most bizarre game ever played at Washington Park, Brooklyn yesterday won by forfeit 9 to 0 after St. Louis manager Charles Comiskey  – with his team ahead 4 to 2 — pulled his players off the field claiming it was too dark to play.

Angry Brooklyn fans pelted the Browns with beer bottles and other objects as the players left the field, and St. Louis right fielder  Tommy  McCarthy  got into an altercation with one fan on his way to the safety of the dressing room. Sporting Life writer J.  Donnelly, quickly dubbed the strange contest “the Frankenstein and Lobster Game.”

The bizarre ending spoiled the most-anticipated game of the year in Brooklyn.  Long lines of fans jostled at the ticket window as early as 1 o’clock, three hours before game time. By 3 p.m. the stands were filled as more spilled over into the grass hill beside the field and behind the ropes surrounding the outfield.  So many ladies were present in the overflow crowd of 15,143 that some had to sit in the bleaching boards instead of  in the stands.

The two starting pitchers, Bob Caruthers for Brooklyn and Icebox Chamberlain for St. Louis, were in top form. Chamberlain struck out three straight batters in the second inning. Caruthers duplicated the feat in the third inning.

Brooklyn began the game by scoring two runs in the top of the first inning on hits by Hub Collins and Dave “Needles” Foutz.”  At this point, the volatile owner of the St. Louis team, Chris Von der Ahe, left his seat in the stands and joined his team on the bench. He was accompanied by two young assistants dressed in suits and ties.  St. Louis scored a run in the fifth inning on a hit by catcher Jocko Milligan.  The Browns moved ahead 3 to 2 in the sixth inning when Tip O’Neill singled, went to second on a sacrifice bunt by Comiskey and scored on a single by Yank Robinson.   Shorty Fuller then doubled home Robinson.

As the seventh inning started at 5:40  p.m.  manager Comiskey began demanding that umpire Fred Goldsmith end the game because of darkness (giving St. Louis the win).  When Goldsmith refused to call the game, the Browns went into delay mode. First pitcher Chamberlain would walk half way to first base to confer with Comiskey.  When they were done, O’Neill would stroll in slowly from left field to chat with Commy. Then McCarthy would do the same from right field.  Chamberlain would finally make a pitch, then the delay routine would be repeated all over again. 

St. Louis owner  Von der Ah meanwhile sent his young aides out to store to buy some candles. When they returned, the St. Louis players lit the candles in a row around their bench to indicate to umpire Goldsmith that it was too dark to play.  Von der Ahe’s rosy face glowed from the light. But the Bridegrooms were not amused.  Manager Bill McGunnigle had Von der Ahe’s two young aides ejected from the field.

Umpire Goldsmith was not moved by the display and the game continued. St. Louis scored another run in the bottom of the seventh inning, moving to a 4 to 2 lead over the Bridegrooms. Meantime, rightfielder McCarthy got into a shouting match with Brooklyn fans. Then, during a lull in the ninth inning, McCarthy picked up the game ball and soaked it in a bucket by the players’ bench.  Umpire Goldsmith, informed of the trickery, put a new ball in play and ordered the game to go on despite Comiskey’s demands to end the contest.

Brooklyn came to bat in the top of the ninth inning at 6:18 p.m. Germany Smith swung and missed at a third strike, but ran safely to first base when catcher Milligan missed the ball.  Milligan slammed his glove on home plate, complaining that he couldn’t see the ball. At that point, Comiskey ordered the St. Louis team off the field, even though the Browns were leading. The players picked up bats and balls and headed for the dressing room as Brooklyn fans hooted, hollered and began throwing objects on the field. Umpire Goldsmith waited the required five minutes, then ruled the game a forfeit in favor of Brooklyn. The forfeit also subjects St. Louis to a $1,500 fine.

Von der Ahe claimed that his players fled the field in fear of their lives. McCarthy allegedly was hit in the face by a stone and nearly had his jaw broken. Von der Ahe said he also was targeted:  “As I was leaving the players’ bench to go to (Brooklyn President Charles) Byrne’s office, some contemptible whelp threw a beer glass at me, and it came very near to hitting me on the head.” 

Brooklyn officials denied the charges. Manager McGunnigle said: ‘I never saw a man make a greater mistake than Von der Ahe is making. He is a bad loser and has lost his head because he is in danger of losing the pennant. The St. Louis men were not mobbed, not injured and not in danger.”

The forfeit expanded Brooklyn’s lead over St. Louis to 3 l/2 games. The two teams are scheduled to play again today.  Since it is a Sunday, and Sunday baseball is banned in Kings County, the game will be played in Brooklyn’s other home park in Ridgewood, N.Y.

American Association Standings

Team              W       L       Pct.      Games Behind

Brooklyn       76   37     .673

St. Louis       72   40    .643             3 l/2

Archived