TRADE dept. : are the jets talking to the vikings re a trade ? ? ?

kelly

This thread subject is cruel. To even make us think its possible we could get AP is insanely mean. Also, zero percent chance it happens.

I agree. It's making me get all flip floppity on what I think should happen and that's just not right. I was liking the way Idzik was running the show. Now I want him  to be like Tanny and go get the big name. It's yucky and unfair. 

I agree. It's making me get all flip floppity on what I think should happen and that's just not right. I was liking the way Idzik was running the show. Now I want him  to be like Tanny and go get the big name. It's yucky and unfair. 

haha! Seriously. We need tanny back! Imagine this D, with a monster run threat like AP... then let Geno/Kerley bomb it down field. we'd be beastly overnight. 

fyi  :

~ ~  Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com

Once Chris Ivory injured his leg in the game, it made perfect sense that the Jets were going to need some more help at the skill position until Mike Goodson can return from his suspension and even then, it might take Goodson some time to acclimate. The Jets might just be updating their data on Nelson but a running back rather than a tall receiver might make more sense, even if just for a week or two.

~ Jake Steinberg @Steiny31

#Jets have signed former Hofstra RB Kareem Huggins to the Practice Squad...

> http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/jets-work-out-wr-david-nelson-and-other-skill-players/

Kareem Huggins?  J80 needs this jersey ASAP.

• Upvote 2

haha! Seriously. We need tanny back! Imagine this D, with a monster run threat like AP... then let Geno/Kerley bomb it down field. we'd be beastly overnight. 

I know. The mere idea is making me nuts actually. AP being in the backfield opens up Holmes and Hill for the deep ball so much more and AP can break a huge run at any time. It would be crazy town!!!   CRAZY TOWN I SAID!!!  

Yeah, pretty much all of this.  Not to mention, while many are trying to act as if the Jets are losing their starter given Ivory's health, the truth is that Powell has been working as the #1 all along.  When you combine that with, as you mentioned, the return of Goodson and the fact that Mornhinweg is never going to be running a full-time "ground and pound" type offense, I can't imagine the team being in any major rush to make a move for another RB, especially one that will cost them anything of significance in return.

Besides, this isn't Trader Mike we're talking about here.  Sure, Idzik made the deal for Ivory, but since then has otherwise shown himself to treat draft picks like gold, even planning his FA signings around the concept of maximizing the team's comp picks.

It's funny how people assume Goodson will be a guaranteed starting RB.   Did people miss out the fact he hasn't been or they just ignore that and go on blind faith.  Kind of like everybody did with Ivory and now are backtracking.    And considering all that, who even knows how game shape Goodson is in at this point.   The guy hasn't been some big time starter ever.   So if he were in rehab getting himself cleaned up,  I doubt he was practicing for football and Sundays.

Edited by pedro55

It's funny how people assume Goodson will be a guaranteed starting RB. Did people miss out the fact he hasn't been or they just ignore that and go on blind faith. Kind of like everybody did with Ivory and now are backtracking. And considering all that, who even knows how game shape Goodson is in at this point. The guy hasn't been some big time starter ever. So if he were in rehab getting himself cleaned up, I doubt he was practicing for football and Sundays.

Theres nothing wrong with being hopeful that a couple of low risk/high reward signings will progress based on the skillset that theyve showed.

Ivory can be beastly (stats and visual evidence PROVES this) if he could actually stay healthy...but he hasnt.

Goodson is a speedy back, which would be great to compliment Ivory...mixed with Powell.

There is no need to "backtrack"

Being optimistic is not being a blind homer.

Goodson will have had 5 weeks to get into football shape.

Does anyone know what the rules are with suspended players and practice?

Just wondering.

Theres nothing wrong with being hopeful that a couple of low risk/high reward signings will progress based on the skillset that theyve showed.

Ivory can be beastly (stats and visual evidence PROVES this) if he could actually stay healthy...but he hasnt.

Goodson is a speedy back, which would be great to compliment Ivory...mixed with Powell.

Just wondering.

Yea, they can't.  He can be conditioned, which I'm sure he will, but it will certainly take him a couple weeks to get into football shape, especially without any hitting during the weeks he's back at practice.

It's funny how people assume Goodson will be a guaranteed starting RB.   Did people miss out the fact he hasn't been or they just ignore that and go on blind faith.  Kind of like everybody did with Ivory and now are backtracking.    And considering all that, who even knows how game shape Goodson is in at this point.   The guy hasn't been some big time starter ever.   So if he were in rehab getting himself cleaned up,  I doubt he was practicing for football and Sundays.

I don't think I've seen one person here making the assumption that Goodson will start. Pretty sure the hope with him is that he serves as a speedy change of pace guy that gives them an occasional home run threat from the backfield.

And I, for one, never liked the Ivory trade. Don't think I was alone in that, either.

Just wondering.

You don't get into "football shape" by working out.  You get into football shape by playing football.  Goodson has not been able to practice, so even if he is in perfect shape, he isn't in football shape and will probably be limited the first couple of weeks.

I thought Khalil Bell looked pretty during preseason.   Not sure why they won't give him a shot.  

I think they are happy with the roster and are just kicking tires in case they need to pick somebody up.  They obviously like Green better than Bell and I don't think Bell is practice squad eligible, so they may pick Bell up first if somebody goes down, but still want to check out guys that can help and/or fill the role in practice while Goodson rounds into shape and Ivory rests his hamstring.  They can't be too happy with Ivory's continuing injury history, but it seems they prefer guys that are burners.  Pretty much every back that Idzik has brought in Ivory, Goodson, Green, the new practice squad guy Huggins is a burner.  I think they are all sub 4.5,  It is why I thought McKnight could do some damage with Idzik, but alas he was a slacker douche with a soft head.  They sure aren't looking for a plodder to pair with Powell. 

Tell me again why we want an RB with no QB? does everyone want to make the divisional round again or something? Sorry but an RB in his prime right now, does us nothing if and when we have a QB in the near/distant/ever future.

No thanks, even if it was possible, i'd pass completely. Wait for Geno, or keep drafting QB's until you get one.

No thanks, even if it was possible, i'd pass completely. Wait for Geno, or keep drafting QB's until you get one.

You cant do that with valuable draft picks we aren't bobbing for apples or throwing darts at balloons. We have built a great defense through the draft we need to focus on the offense and playmakers. If we can acquire a franchise RB that wont cost us the farm we need to do so.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just wondering. i think they can go to meetings but cant practice with the team

You cant do that with valuable draft picks we aren't bobbing for apples or throwing darts at balloons. We have built a great defense through the draft we need to focus on the offense and playmakers. If we can acquire a franchise RB that wont cost us the farm we need to do so.

A franchise RB that won't cost the farm? Do they have Calvin Johnsons and AJ Greens on discount at this magical football store too?

Tell me again why we want an RB with no QB? does everyone want to make the divisional round again or something? Sorry but an RB in his prime right now, does us nothing if and when we have a QB in the near/distant/ever future.

While I'm not in for trading for a RB everyone seems very quick to dismiss the running game. Even teams who pass alot would love to be able to run out a game and keep the ball out of the opponents hands in the 4th quarter and avoid a potential game winning drive by your opponent.

If you have a great defense in place and a very solid running game that's not a bad way to win games and it is still a viable option. Also keep in mind if you can wear down an opponent with a punishing running game you will most likely have the upper hand in the 4th Quarter when the game is on the line and the defense you are facing is exhausted. Great example of this was the 1990 SB with the Bills and Giants. That Buffalo team was in the same mold of many of the explosive offenses we see today and the Giants shut them down by keeping the ball out of their hands and sustaining long punishing drives. I'm pretty sure, if I remember correctly, the Bills scored every time they had the ball (except on the last drive LOL) so the only way to beat them was the plan Parcells adopted and it worked. I would take the team with a powerful running game great defense and solid passing game over the prolific passing team every single time.

Team to watch this year, that's in that mold is the KC Chiefs very good running team playing solid defense with nothing special in the passing game but competent enough to score when pushed and a solid QB who makes very few mistakes. We will probably see them split with Denver this year not trying to out gun Peyton but just trying to keep the ball the hell away from him.

Edited by Smashmouth