Lulz: Schottenheimer: The Grumbling Begins

Lizard King

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/27/the-grumbling-begins-regarding-brian-schottenheimer/

original.gif

The defense isn’t the only thing some Rams aredisgusted with in St. Louis.

Before offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was hired by the Rams, he had become a pin cushion in New York.  After crash-landing on his feet when the Jets were ready to move on from him, Schottenheimer put in a solid effort last year for a team that generated a surprising record of 7-8-1.

This year, the Rams are surprisingly bad.  Per a league source, players on offense are starting to grumble privately about the coordinator.

In each game this year, the Rams have fallen behind by 10 or more points.  In one game — the opener against the Cardinals — St. Louis came back and won.

The Rams currently rank 30th in per-game production, with 301.8 yards per game.

With the Rams ready and willing to sign quarterback Sam Bradford to a long-term deal, someone has to take the fall if the losses continue to pile up.  Based on the noise currently coming from the locker room, that someone could be Schottenheimer.

The last 2 coordinators we had here were Epic Bad. You can already see more shots down field with Morhinwig and it was a long time coming to be honest. Pretty sure Sanchez is done but you have to wonder how the cumulative crap this franchise dealt with on offense affected him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/27/the-grumbling-begins-regarding-brian-schottenheimer/

original.gif

Before offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was hired by the Rams, he had become a pin cushion in New York.  After crash-landing on his feet when the Jets were ready to move on from him, Schottenheimer put in a solid effort last year for a team that generated a surprising record of 7-8-1.

This year, the Rams are surprisingly bad.  Per a league source, players on offense are starting to grumble privately about the coordinator.

In each game this year, the Rams have fallen behind by 10 or more points.  In one game — the opener against the Cardinals — St. Louis came back and won.

With the Rams ready and willing to sign quarterback Sam Bradford to a long-term deal, someone has to take the fall if the losses continue to pile up.  Based on the noise currently coming from the locker room, that someone could be Schottenheimer.

Yeah and it was Schotty that missed a wide open receiver for a TD. Bradford is a BUST plain and simple, and the Rams can't block for him OR the run game. Schotty is NOT a bad OC, sometimes too predictable but you need the horses. Personally, if I was the Rams GM I would hold off on giving Sammy boy a large sum of money.

Yeah and it was Schotty that missed a wide open receiver for a TD. Bradford is a BUST plain and simple, and the Rams can't block for him OR the run game. Schotty is NOT a bad OC, sometimes too predictable but you need the horses. Personally, if I was the Rams GM I would hold off on giving Sammy boy a large sum of money.

Tavon Austin spent way more time than he should've on the sideline last night.

Predictability is about the worst trait an OC can have since most of the plays used are out there for just about everyone to see on film. Bradford is far from a bust the guy is a damn good football player hes in the same situation Jets QB's have been in for years. Total lack of talent and some really bad coaching. Im sure Jeff Fisher will make some moves this offseason if this promising young team continues to flounder.

So you want to fire Rex, who is at least great at one aspect of his job. Yet Schotty, who is completely horrible at all aspects of his job, is not bad.

Football genius.

A good coach maximizes the output of the talent he works with. Merely meeting sh*tty expectations is not the goal. 

Yes, Schotty absolutely is a bad OC.  That has been proven time and again.  Funny how Bradford was supposedly the second coming before Schitty came to town and his apologists let everyone know that he was going to prove all the haters wrong because he finally had a "real QB".  Suddenly Bradford is and always was a bust and it was poor innocent Schotty who got saddled with him while apparently having nothing to do with his QB's failures.

As I repeated endlessly when that horses ass was still with the Jets, it's quite possible for more than one person to suck at their jobs at the same time; so no matter how bad some of the players Schotty has coached may have been completely independently of him, it does not even come close to beginning to excuse the mind-numbing stupidity that has plagued Schotty's entire career as an offensive coordinator for 8 years with two different teams.  When the best you can ever do for a guy is provide a list of excuses for his ineptitude, that really tells you everything you need to do.

People actually defended this

brianschottenheimer.gif

Come on, every OC calls third down plays that has every single player stop short of the first, don't they?

While this was a great example of one play, my favorite was always the repeated occurrence of having 2 or 3 WRs running theirs routes to the same spot on the field on any given play, making a throw to any one of them having the opportunity to played on by anywhere from 3 to 5 different DBs.

Predictability is about the worst trait an OC can have since most of the plays used are out there for just about everyone to see on film. Bradford is far from a bust the guy is a damn good football player hes in the same situation Jets QB's have been in for years. Total lack of talent and some really bad coaching. Im sure Jeff Fisher will make some moves this offseason if this promising young team continues to flounder.

true.  people used to know the Green Bay sweep was coming and still could not stop it. kind of like Mariano's cutter.  but those kinds of things are very few and very far between.  more talent, size and speed these days.  I wanted Schotty fired before Sanchez, actually.

The last 2 coordinators we had here were Epic Bad. You can already see more shots down field with Morhinwig and it was a long time coming to be honest. Pretty sure Sanchez is done but you have to wonder how the cumulative crap this franchise dealt with on offense affected him.

Mayock and the other guy talked about Schitty's offensive scheme last night.  Zero vertical attacks, too many five-yard patterns when they need +10 yards.  Just an ugly performance.

Saw that too but Schitty scheme offered little help.  Pu$$y football last night...did not attack.

original.gif

They are going to be keeping Bradford? I'd be pissed if I was a St. Louis fan. They can't sign any decent FAs because of his rookie deal he held out for. He's not terrible, but I don't think they should be jumping to keep him.

They are going to be keeping Bradford? I'd be pissed if I was a St. Louis fan. They can't sign any decent FAs because of his rookie deal he held out for. He's not terrible, but I don't think they should be jumping to keep him.

He has the same shortcoming as MS.  He stares at his receivers and doesn't see the entire field.  He is not good calling audible when he knows an all out blitz is coming.  Remind me of Sanchez when he used to call an audible on an all out blitz. It usually resulted in a sack, fumble or int.  The funny thing was that he always gave me the impression he had everything under control KILL KILL KILL.  I was just too naïve.   

I don't wonder at all.  

Exactly, it's a chess match and they're all pro chess players. Shotty just isn't a particularly good one.

fwiw, austin has over 30 targets in 3 games and bradford has over 1,000 yards passing (I was skimming the stats basking in the glow of the jets spurt last week and it jumped out at me) 

i'm really glad shotty is gone, but letting some facts show why he still has a job.  he's probably the worst OC in football, but none of us would exactly get an interview

fwiw, austin has over 30 targets in 3 games and bradford has over 1,000 yards passing (I was skimming the stats basking in the glow of the jets spurt last week and it jumped out at me) 

i'm really glad shotty is gone, but letting some facts show why he still has a job.  he's probably the worst OC in football, but none of us would exactly get an interview

He has 1,093 yards...in four games.  Austin has 20 catches in 4 games, at a whopping 6.2 yards per catch.  That's just pitiful.

LOL, Schitty is a bad OC. Same exact problems with completely different personnel.

Theres not a single thing he's good at and you cant premise your opinion of him on hypotheticals.

but sh*tty isn't ignoring him, he is getting targets.  how many TD's does he have ?

2 TD's...he's getting his targets but Schotty's lack of creativity is probably leading to him getting his catches on screens most of the plays.  6.2 ypc is horrible.

Archived