Geno Is The Freakin Man!!!

neckdemon

yes Peyton Manning threw a lot of Int's his first season but he also threw about 28 TD's as well and the biggest factor he had absolutely ZERO mechanics problems. His mechanics were perfect and he always throws off the proper foot.... Peyton my be slow but when he drops back to throw he can re adjust his feet very quickly and make the throw off the proper foot. Why ? Because Peyton was taught proper mechanics his entire life by his QB father. Geno has bad mechanics and I'm not sure they are easily fixable you can see he did the same things in college and its probably why he fell in the draft or at least part of the reason.

yes Peyton Manning threw a lot of Int's his first season but he also threw about 28 TD's as well and the biggest factor he had absolutely ZERO mechanics problems. His mechanics were perfect and he always throws off the proper foot.... Peyton my be slow but when he drops back to throw he can re adjust his feet very quickly and make the throw off the proper foot. Why ? Because Peyton was taught proper mechanics his entire life by his QB father. Geno has bad mechanics and I'm not sure they are easily fixable you can see he did the same things in college and its probably why he fell in the draft or at least part of the reason.that may well be.

But Peyton did start out poorly, which was my point.  Maybe Geno is a nervous wreck right now?  I agree that I think his problems on the short out the other day and some of the slants he has thrown have to do with not getting his feet set quickly.  I think that kind of thing is correctable, though.  Will he correct it?  That is what I am waiting to see.  I am not interested in predicting Geno's future, only monitoring it and hoping he comes around.  Some of the people on the blog yesterday and today have been downright nasty and borderline hysterical.  Everyone is so interested in predicting Geno's demise.   Are they going to come back on and remind all of us how wrong they were if Geno does get it later in the year.   And anyway, even if Geno had had 4 great games so far we still would not know anything for sure.  That is the nature of inexperience.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are equating 4 years to 4 games-does not compute. do not worry if geno does not show improvement he will not last here. He has shown enough  that when he plants and throws with the proper fundamentals  he can make the throw

i've seen him plant, and throw the ball too high or with poor accuracy alot more than i would like to see. not only that but he has tunnel vision and will throw to a receiver as if he doesn't see the defender at all

i've seen him plant, and throw the ball too high or with poor accuracy alot more than i would like to see. not only that but he has tunnel vision and will throw to a receiver as if he doesn't see the defender at all

Fans have tunnel vision.  

Our team isn't that bad, a lot of teams have these "issues" at the QB-WR connection, it's just more glaringly obvious when it involves the Jets.  My biggest issue with Geno is his underthrown balls, and balls thrown into converging traffic.  Hopefully Geno gets his sh*t together before all of his receivers are in the infirmary.  

yes Peyton Manning threw a lot of Int's his first season but he also threw about 28 TD's as well and the biggest factor he had absolutely ZERO mechanics problems. His mechanics were perfect and he always throws off the proper foot.... Peyton my be slow but when he drops back to throw he can re adjust his feet very quickly and make the throw off the proper foot. Why ? Because Peyton was taught proper mechanics his entire life by his QB father. Geno has bad mechanics and I'm not sure they are easily fixable you can see he did the same things in college and its probably why he fell in the draft or at least part of the reason.

No one is saying Smith is or will be Peyton Manning, but those 28 TDs Manning threw as a rookie weren't part of his first 4 games. He threw 3 TDs in the first 4 games.  Two of the 3 were in garbage time after the other team had taken their foot off the gas pedal, and the other was a dumpoff that Marshall Faulk ran 75 yards with.  It's the meaningful-game-time equivalent of throwing zero TDs and 11 picks.  

And Manning did NOT look good while doing it, like he was some Greek God doing nothing but displaying pristine mechanics and just making some poor judgment throws or getting unlucky.  He was also throwing off his back foot and said so himself, so you are just making stuff up now as though you were taking copious notes while watching those games.  

I've seen Smith display both good and poor mechanics. The way things read here, he does nothing but throw off his back foot on every attempt, which is simply false.  

Smith had a crappy game.  A throwaway season is the perfect time to get an extended look at a guy even if he has crappy games, so I'm not really bothered by it.  That being said, if he doesn't eventually show signs (or more consistent signs, anyway) of getting it, then the team should and will give Simms a look at some point.

No one is saying Smith is or will be Peyton Manning, but those 28 TDs Manning threw as a rookie weren't part of his first 4 games. He threw 3 TDs in the first 4 games.  Two of the 3 were in garbage time after the other team had taken their foot off the gas pedal, and the other was a dumpoff that Marshall Faulk ran 75 yards with.  It's the meaningful-game-time equivalent of throwing zero TDs and 11 picks.  

And Manning did NOT look good while doing it, like he was some Greek God doing nothing but displaying pristine mechanics and just making some poor judgment throws or getting unlucky.  He was also throwing off his back foot and said so himself, so you are just making stuff up now as though you were taking copious notes while watching those games.  

I've seen Smith display both good and poor mechanics. The way things read here, he does nothing but throw off his back foot on every attempt, which is simply false.  

Smith had a crappy game.  A throwaway season is the perfect time to get an extended look at a guy even if he has crappy games, so I'm not really bothered by it.  That being said, if he doesn't eventually show signs (or more consistent signs, anyway) of getting it, then the team should and will give Simms a look at some point.

What makes this a throwaway season? Our defense is very good, could be better if the offense didnt put them in bad positions all the time. Ditto out OL and WR's. I think Geno is doing nothing but holding this team back.

The comparison to Manning is so funny its not even worth commenting on.

I can't decide if this board is more unreadable after a Jets win or a Jets loss..

Geno is a bad qb, has been for 4 weeks. Sanchex has beena bad Qb for 4 years . the details of what happens in any single particular game aren't as interesting as the entire picture being painted, and it's been ugly for some time now.The ball bounces unpredictably in the short term, folks vacillating rapidly from one side to the other need to be medicated.

What makes this a throwaway season? Our defense is very good, could be better if the offense didnt put them in bad positions all the time. Ditto out OL and WR's. I think Geno is doing nothing but holding this team back.

The comparison to Manning is so funny its not even worth commenting on.

Statistically they are very similar.  I was making the comparison because people were noting Smith's stats, saying he is on pace for 44 turnovers.  Well so was Peyton Manning at the same point of his career. Exactly the same number.  And that's Peyton Manning.

I'm not comparing Smith to Manning in any type of "He's just as good" or "He could be just as good" sort of thing.  He isn't and won't be.

But the stepping backwards and the moving the ball from his right hand to his left behind his ass attempt aside, the turnovers and the back foot stuff was the same thing that Peyton Manning did in some of those crappy early games. Smith obviously CAN step into his throws and throw it accurately, just as Manning COULD obviously throw into his throws and throw it accurately.  Obviously Manning, a unique talent, got much better all around as the season went on, and eventually became arguably the best QB of all time (in the regular season at least, hahaha).  

Smith may get noticeably better in a hurry, it may happen very slowly, and he may be on the bench before November.  We'll see which in due time. 

The using statistics as a basis for benching him is ridiculous.  It IS a rebuilding ("throwaway") season.  It was and is a season for ridding the team of bad contracts and seeing what we have in young/cheap guys before spending in 2014 & beyond.  As a result of this and a (let's be nice and call it a) shaky QB situation, there is no chance of the 2013 Jets being this year's superbowl winners.  This is my opinion. 

And incidentally, I have nothing invested personally in Smith.  I wasn't lobbying for the team to draft him.  I didn't watch him play in college.  None of it.  If Simms ends up being a better QB I won't feel like I have any crow to eat.

It's more enjoyable that we're 2-2 instead of 1-3 or 0-4.  But we are not superbowl contenders and I'd like to see more of Smith before that door gets permanently shut and we go draft someone else in April.  I don't think we have to give him the same 4 years Sanchez got, or even 4 months. But I want to see more than 4 games.

Tannehill is on pace to complete 372-of-568 passes (65%) for 4304 yards, 20 touchdowns, and 25 interceptions, 24 fumbles and 18 lost

Geno is on pace for to complete 312 of 544 passes (57%) for 4360 yards, 16 touchdowns, and 32 interceptions with 18 fumbles total and lost.

You're not going to win many games, turning the ball over like these two are.  My point is, when a top 10 pick in his second year can have these types of rough games or starts, it's not unreasonable to think Geno won't in his rookie year.  It's late and I'm not sure where exactly I'm going with this other than that Geno has showed the potential to make very difficult throws, especially under duress and we probably should wait to kick him to the curb until after we see more than a half dozen games.

I have no idea why Peyton's rookie season is being brought up in this context.  Yes, he had 28 INTs, but also threw 26 TDs.  He also played under a different set of pass interference and roughing the passer rules with today's rules more QB friendly.

In Peyton's rookie season, there were only 2 4,000 yd passers (Peyton was 3rd at 3,739 and Favre led the NFL with 4,212).  Last season there were 11 QBs with 4,000 or more yards.  Favre's 1998 NFL leading yardage total would only be 9th best in 2012 (just ahead of Josh Freeman's 4,065).

In 1998, 6 QBs threw for 25 or more TDs, including Peyton (5th best that year).  In 2012, 12 QBs threw for 25 or more TDs.  In 1998, 3 QBs three for 20 or more INTs (Favre & Peyton being the top 2).  In 2012, no one threw 20 or more INTs.

So unless anyone is trying to say that despite Geno's poor play thus far he will end the season with the 3rd most passing yards and 5th most TDs, making any comparison to what a rookie did in 1998 under a different set of rules doesn't make sense.

makes horrible decisions and is pretty innaccurate. regulalry underthrows or overthrows passes. looks like we'll be looking for a real qb this offseason cause this guy looks to be too stupid to play qb in the nfl

Found this on another Jets website. Thought it looked pretty interesting. 

Geno Smith (First 4 Games)

Comp. %---57%

TD's-----4

Int------8

Yards Per Game---273

Yards Per Comp----14

Yards Per Attempt---8

Record---(2-2)

#1 WR Santonio Holmes

#1 RB Bilal Powell 

Peyton Manning Rookie Season (First 4 Games)

Comp. %----56%

TD's----3

Int-----11

Yards Per Game---248

Yards Per Comp.---12.3

Yards Per Attempt--6.8

Record--(0-4)

#1 WR--Marvin Harrison

#1 RB--Marshall Faulk

Comp. %---57%

TD's-----4

Int------8

Yards Per Game---273

Yards Per Comp----14

Yards Per Attempt---8

Record---(2-2)

#1 WR Santonio Holmes

#1 RB Bilal Powell 

Comp. %----56%

TD's----3

Int-----11

Yards Per Game---248

Yards Per Comp.---12.3

Yards Per Attempt--6.8

Record--(0-4)

#1 WR--Marvin Harrison

#1 RB--Marshall Faulk

Except you fail to point out the Colts were a 3-13 team the year before and they were a 3-13 team in Manning's rookie year.    They were not a very good team.

The Jets might not be a good team, but they sure aren't as bad as the Colts were back then.

Comp. %---57%

TD's-----4

Int------8

Yards Per Game---273

Yards Per Comp----14

Yards Per Attempt---8

Record---(2-2)

#1 WR Santonio Holmes

#1 RB Bilal Powell 

Comp. %----56%

TD's----3

Int-----11

Yards Per Game---248

Yards Per Comp.---12.3

Yards Per Attempt--6.8

Record--(0-4)

#1 WR--Marvin Harrison

#1 RB--Marshall Faulk

there were alot of comparisons to great qb's rookie seasons when sanchez was a rookie. it's just not indicative of much. i'm not gonna claim to have an eidetic memory like sperm apparently does when it comes to peyton mannings rookie season but comparing geno smith's first 4 games to mannings means absolutely squat. the first 5 years of my life were probably pretty similar to bill gates'......trust me i'm no multi-billionaire

fwiw, Manning looked Terrible at the begginning of year as a rookie. Weak arm, inaccurate, poor pocket presencs'e.. yiu nsne it, he showed it... thought he was going to bust

I'm saying this as someone who doesn't think much of geno, but you can't deny that Manning looked as bad (if not worse) early in his career

fwiw, Manning looked Terrible at the begginning of year as a rookie. Weak arm, inaccurate, poor pocket presencs'e.. yiu nsne it, he showed it... thought he was going to bust

I'm saying this as someone who doesn't think much of geno, but you can't deny that Manning looked as bad (if not worse) early in his career

Some would say Sanchez looked better in his first 4 games than Geno.

Does that have any relevance to whether Geno will turn out better or worse than Sanchez?

That said, Geno hasnt shown an across the board level of incompetence so he warrants more time to make his case that he is the QB of the future because hell only be given the present.

Comp. %---57%

TD's-----4

Int------8

Yards Per Game---273

Yards Per Comp----14

Yards Per Attempt---8

Record---(2-2)

#1 WR Santonio Holmes

#1 RB Bilal Powell 

Comp. %----56%

TD's----3

Int-----11

Yards Per Game---248

Yards Per Comp.---12.3

Yards Per Attempt--6.8

Record--(0-4)

#1 WR--Marvin Harrison

#1 RB--Marshall FaulkThe Manning Rule-every young QB's awfulness will be acceptable because it happened to Peyton or Eli Manning in the beginning of their careers. This will act as candy coating for bad QBing.

How about the comparables for Marty Domres,Quincy Carter, Joe Piscarcik and Bubby Brister?

Except you fail to point out the Colts were a 3-13 team the year before and they were a 3-13 team in Manning's rookie year.    They were not a very good team.

The Jets might not be a good team, but they sure aren't as bad as the Colts were back then.

I didnt fail to point that out. I used the stats based on completion of games (4 games). If Geno finishes the season 6-10 then I could say the very same thing, in order to do that however we have to wait until the end of the year. 

there were alot of comparisons to great qb's rookie seasons when sanchez was a rookie. it's just not indicative of much. i'm not gonna claim to have an eidetic memory like sperm apparently does when it comes to peyton mannings rookie season but comparing geno smith's first 4 games to mannings means absolutely squat. the first 5 years of my life were probably pretty similar to bill gates'......trust me i'm no multi-billionaire

The comparison doesnt mean much when you think the QB stinks. I does mean much however when arguably the greatest QB to ever do it had a very similar start or even worst start to his career. Its less about saying that Geno's on the track to have a Peyton-like career but more about showing that even the great ones of all time looked like rookies when they were rookies. Even Billy Gates sh*tted his diaper every once in a while. The comparison is to show that Geno is not doing anything out of the ordinary so people simply need to relax and stop jumping the gun. 

TD's-----4

Int------8

Yards Per Game---273

Yards Per Comp----14

Yards Per Attempt---8

Record---(2-2)

#1 WR Santonio Holmes

#1 RB Bilal Powell 

Comp. %----56%

TD's----3

Int-----11

Yards Per Game---248

Yards Per Comp.---12.3

Yards Per Attempt--6.8

Record--(0-4)

#1 WR--Marvin Harrison

#1 RB--Marshall FaulkThe Manning Rule-every young QB's awfulness will be acceptable because it happened to Peyton or Eli Manning in the beginning of their careers. This will act as candy coating for bad QBing.

How about the comparables for Marty Domres,Quincy Carter, Joe Piscarcik and Bubby Brister?

No one cares about Marty Domres, Quincy Carter, Joe Piscarck and Bubby Brister. 

You see,,,,ya'all miss Tebow....

My idea of the "don't throw offense" is valid...

Run on every down with tebow handing off or running himself....can't be anyworse than now.

I don't think this idea was valid in the 1930's.

No one cares about Marty Domres, Quincy Carter, Joe Piscarck and Bubby Brister. 

RE-The Never-Ending Manning Camparison

Domres was a 1st round pick, Carter a 2nd rounder, Brister a 3rd, Piscrcik a free agent. All of those comparisons are as valid as the Manning brothers. By bringing up either Manning you are saying in effect Smith (And Sanchez before him) is destined for Canton-level success. the reality is there are way more comparisons to this bunch of bums than there are to HoFers. By the same token you also discount Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Tony Romo and Warren Moon comparisons when it comes to Simms.

Let's agree this much; let both QBs stand on their merits instead of making them someone they  ren't,at least yet.

By bringing up either Manning you are saying in effect Smith (And Sanchez before him) is destined for Canton-level success.

No.

The entire purpose of the statistical comparison is to point out that maybe the people calling for pulling the plug on Geno after four games is a tad bit premature. That even -arguably- the best QB of this generation put up similar performances early in his career. That doesn't mean that Geno has been bad enough to one day be Peyton Manning, but rather that a rough start clearly doesn't have to portend a terrible career.

No.

The entire purpose of the statistical comparison is to point out that maybe the people calling for pulling the plug on Geno after four games is a tad bit premature. That even -arguably- the best QB of this generation put up similar performances early in his career. That doesn't mean that Geno has been bad enough to one day be Peyton Manning, but rather that a rough start clearly doesn't have to portend a terrible career.

Wrong. The point of the Manning comparison is to pretend that somehow Smith is potentiallya s goo das theose guys, therefore, he gets a pass when he makes a mess. Didn't work with Sanchez(who's draft statusd was clearly higher),at  a loss with a real backup it's any more valid with Smith. Don't pretend to know NCAA nor know the draft, but I know Smith has done a mostly lousy job. Point being while SMith's first 4 games compare (favorably? unfavorbaly?) those of the Manning brothers it can also be said it compares as much with the comps of some awful QBs with roughly the same pedigree.

If he stinks he should sit. And right now he stinks.

Wrong. The point of the Manning comparison is to pretend that somehow Smith is potentiallya s goo das theose guys, therefore, he gets a pass when he makes a mess.

Sperm initially made the point, and he explained it himself pretty well. He's clearly saying that he's not expecting Geno to be Peyton. If it's any consolation, no one is surprised that you failed to understand what he was saying, and/or twisted his words to come up with your own meaning.

Statistically they are very similar.  I was making the comparison because people were noting Smith's stats, saying he is on pace for 44 turnovers.  Well so was Peyton Manning at the same point of his career. Exactly the same number.  And that's Peyton Manning.

I'm not comparing Smith to Manning in any type of "He's just as good" or "He could be just as good" sort of thing.  He isn't and won't be.

But the stepping backwards and the moving the ball from his right hand to his left behind his ass attempt aside, the turnovers and the back foot stuff was the same thing that Peyton Manning did in some of those crappy early games. Smith obviously CAN step into his throws and throw it accurately, just as Manning COULD obviously throw into his throws and throw it accurately.  Obviously Manning, a unique talent, got much better all around as the season went on, and eventually became arguably the best QB of all time (in the regular season at least, hahaha).  

Smith may get noticeably better in a hurry, it may happen very slowly, and he may be on the bench before November.  We'll see which in due time. 

The using statistics as a basis for benching him is ridiculous.  It IS a rebuilding ("throwaway") season.  It was and is a season for ridding the team of bad contracts and seeing what we have in young/cheap guys before spending in 2014 & beyond.  As a result of this and a (let's be nice and call it a) shaky QB situation, there is no chance of the 2013 Jets being this year's superbowl winners.  This is my opinion.

Wrong. The point of the Manning comparison is to pretend that somehow Smith is potentiallya s goo das theose guys, therefore, he gets a pass when he makes a mess. Didn't work with Sanchez(who's draft statusd was clearly higher),at  a loss with a real backup it's any more valid with Smith. Don't pretend to know NCAA nor know the draft, but I know Smith has done a mostly lousy job. Point being while SMith's first 4 games compare (favorably? unfavorbaly?) those of the Manning brothers it can also be said it compares as much with the comps of some awful QBs with roughly the same pedigree.

If he stinks he should sit. And right now he stinks.

I think it's premature to sit Smith.  If he keeps up the lousy play I think there's potential upside to seeing what Simms could do.  And I agree with those who think Smith is holding back a potentially playoff level team at other positions.

But I also fear this season is already done, because the Jets do not have a vet Qb who could have come in with even decent level of play, avoiding turnovers, giving the D something other than poor average field position to deal with.   I just don't see Smith turning around his game all that quickly.  There's too much to fix.

But if he can show gradual improvement he can keep his job, and there's still a chance (I think unlikely, but still a chance) that he can show he deserves to be the starter next season, and the Jets can use the first round choice they would otherwise want to use to pick a Qb in the draft elsewhere.

I hate to admit it because i don't like what it means, but the Jets have too much at stake with too little in the way of promising alternatives to toss Smith on the junkpile, just yet.

True Sperm I am going off memory and I do remember Manning having damn good mechanics and that's why he was such a big deal coming out of college. He made more poor decisions throwing the football early on than he did with poor mechanics

I didn't go back and look up stats like you did there really was no reason too since its very obvious Manning just had to get over some mental hurdles rather than fundamental/mechanic issues.

When it comes to throwing off the back foot just about every QB does it from time to time based on circumstances but IMO Geno does it even when he has no pressure which tells me he's anticipating pressure way too much. Like I said a few weeks ago watch some of his college tape and you will see the same thing.

Sanchez never became horrible with the football until year 3 Im not sure why he regressed so bad but he did and he never seemed to fix the issue. If you remember Sanchez had 17 Ints his first year 9 of them coming in two games in year 2 he had 13 and I think 8 of those came in 2 games , Something went terribly wrong with him in year 3 right when he was at 20 Td's and 10 ints and he never seemed to recover. Now you can go look this sh*t up if you like ...I am pretty much going off memory but Geno isd heading for a 40 + turnover season and that's not real encouraging especially since hes handling the ball like a loaf of bread similar to what Sanchez did.

wait a minute when I made this comparison with Sanchez you claimed how Peyton showed such incredible promise now you claim he had all these issues and you named just about every aspect of the position. Really ? going to bust ? interesting

Sperm initially made the point, and he explained it himself pretty well. He's clearly saying that he's not expecting Geno to be Peyton. If it's any consolation, no one is surprised that you failed to understand what he was saying, and/or twisted his words to come up with your own meaning.

It's ridiculous.  Someone made a post that he's got 11 turnovers and is therefore on pace for 44 turnovers.  All I said (initially) was that it was the identical pace Manning was on as a rookie in 1998.  The point wasn't that because he had 11 turnovers he's going to turn into Peyton Manning, or any type of future success.  That's ludicrous.  Rather, the point is that 11 turnovers are not indicative of guaranteed future or career failure.

After that it grew into some fiction about Manning's perfect footwork and form and pocket presence even through those first 4 games.  That through it all, Manning didn't throw off his back foot and always stepped into his throws or some other nonsense like that.

Smith may be a total bust who is ultimately, at his very best, unworthy of the roster spot Brady Quinn currently occupies.  But even if that's the case, it isn't because of the number of turnovers in his first 4 starts.  Just like immediate success (or moderate success) isn't indicative that a player will be a reliable starter either.  

It's ridiculous.  Someone made a post that he's got 11 turnovers and is therefore on pace for 44 turnovers.  All I said (initially) was that it was the identical pace Manning was on as a rookie in 1998.  The point wasn't that because he had 11 turnovers he's going to turn into Peyton Manning, or any type of future success.  That's ludicrous.  Rather, the point is that 11 turnovers are not indicative of guaranteed future or career failure.

After that it grew into some fiction about Manning's perfect footwork and form and pocket presence even through those first 4 games.  That through it all, Manning didn't throw off his back foot and always stepped into his throws or some other nonsense like that.

Smith may be a total bust who is ultimately, at his very best, unworthy of the roster spot Brady Quinn currently occupies.  But even if that's the case, it isn't because of the number of turnovers in his first 4 starts.  Just like immediate success (or moderate success) isn't indicative that a player will be a reliable starter either.  

I NEVER mentioned Pocket presence which has absolutely nothing to do with mechanics. I said MECHANICS and Mannings were damn near flawless probably throughout most of his life due to having a father who was an NFL QB. IT does make a difference. Mechanics are NOT easy to fix and Like I said in previous posts Geno has issues in this area. Nobody was worried about Mannings mechanics early on but it did have a big effect on Genmo's draft status and its now showing up in his play even when hes standing in the pocket with no pressure. That's basically it.

how Geno moves forward and whether he improves or not is anybody's guess

True Sperm I am going off memory and I do remember Manning having damn good mechanics and that's why he was such a big deal coming out of college. He made more poor decisions throwing the football early on than he did with poor mechanics

I didn't go back and look up stats like you did there really was no reason too since its very obvious Manning just had to get over some mental hurdles rather than fundamental/mechanic issues.

When it comes to throwing off the back foot just about every QB does it from time to time based on circumstances but IMO Geno does it even when he has no pressure which tells me he's anticipating pressure way too much. Like I said a few weeks ago watch some of his college tape and you will see the same thing.

Sanchez never became horrible with the football until year 3 Im not sure why he regressed so bad but he did and he never seemed to fix the issue. If you remember Sanchez had 17 Ints his first year 9 of them coming in two games in year 2 he had 13 and I think 8 of those came in 2 games , Something went terribly wrong with him in year 3 right when he was at 20 Td's and 10 ints and he never seemed to recover. Now you can go look this sh*t up if you like ...I am pretty much going off memory but Geno isd heading for a 40 + turnover season and that's not real encouraging especially since hes handling the ball like a loaf of bread similar to what Sanchez did.

Manning did it also.  I feel like I have to include the disclaimer each time I mention his name that I am not insinuating Smith will become Peyton Manning.  It's to illustrate a point that even the BEST of QBs had some of these same issues.

The revisionist stuff with Sanchez is just that.  Sanchez was even more inaccurate than his already-lousy stats indicate.  You can chuckle at the non-stat all you want, but when the guy throws 15 or so dropped interceptions he has accuracy issues that go beyond 2 bad games.  I don't care if the pick was caught or dropped; it was thrown poorly enough to be an interception.  You are relying on looking up stats to suggest he was more accurate and careful with the ball than he was in reality.  He was horrible.  Most of the time, those picks are caught.  But the defense dropping interceptions that bounced off their numbers or hands or facemask doesn't make Sanchez a more accurate passer in hindsight than he actually was.

Smith has 8 interceptions. But he doesn't have 8 interceptions that really should have been 12 or 13 (on top of the fumbles) if opposing DBs didn't have butterfingers.  That was Sanchez as a rookie.  Hey, it was great because we were winning games early-on. But anyone who chose to look could see that if his accuracy didn't improve dramatically, or unless a team could hide him behind a stout running game & defense, this was not going to be a good NFL QB.  Even still, at that point he was just a rookie and he could have gotten better or stayed the same or gotten worse (theoretically, anyway).  

Geno has to step into his throws when the protection allows it.  That does bother me more than the picks themselves.  But even the best of the best once suffered from this so I don't think it's necessarily an indication that he'll always be bad (or will always be bad this year).  A lot has been thrown at him (like with Sanchez, like with Manning, like with a lot of guys who start right away).  He's not picking it up as fast as we'd like (which is to say it is not obvious he's picking it up at all). If he has more games like this past one, I'm sure Rex - a lame duck coach - will give someone else a go at it rather than sacrifice his job so Geno Smith can get reps in 16 games instead of 8 (or whatever the number ends up being, if he gets benched).

I NEVER mentioned Pocket presence which has absolutely nothing to do with mechanics. I said MECHANICS and Mannings were damn near flawless probably throughout most of his life due to having a father who was an NFL QB. IT does make a difference. Mechanics are NOT easy to fix and Like I said in previous posts Geno has issues in this area. Nobody was worried about Mannings mechanics early on but it did have a big effect on Genmo's draft status and its now showing up in his play even when hes standing in the pocket with no pressure. That's basically it.

how Geno moves forward and whether he improves or not is anybody's guess

Manning was not stepping into his throws and that led to him floating the ball into the hands of defenders.  Sound familiar?

Archived