Wilfat likely out for season

i remember shea

lets be honest, it wont make a bit of difference when we play them again.

I know you are a pessimist lot by your very nature, but I am not looking forward to the ground and pound without Wilfork.  Geno will likely throw about 6 passes.

I know you are a pessimist lot by your very nature, but I am not looking forward to the ground and pound without Wilfork.  Geno will likely throw about 6 passes.

True. Since we don't have Sanchez to throw to him anymore.

Plus Wilfork has no bearing on how many points the pats score. Take out Brady then we can talk.

Haven't been around much lately have you?

Plus Wilfork has no bearing on how many points the pats score. Take out Brady then we can talk.

The Patriots are not even close to the juggernaut of years past.  I can easily see the Jets running the ball down the Patriots throats.  While the Patriots offense could be better in theory, it is still a work in progress.  I would feel better with Gronk and Amendola.

Haven't been around much lately have you?

You are optimist now?

Yes he does. Expect everyone to run up the gut on them all day. 

IF you can run, you can keep Brady off the field. There is direct association with preventing the Pats from scoring. 

You're right. But i still dont think it is that big a loss in the grand scheme of things. I don't go into games with the Pats saying im scared of Wilfork - could be because I trust Mangold a lot - but i always am scared of Brady.

This sucks but it creates an opportunity. He's one of the truly great players within the league. He's the only reason that D has even been playable in recent years...No clue how they're going to work the rest of the year. 

Oddly, other than DT depth, this is probably the best Pats defense since 2004.  Dennard's improvement, plus adding Talib midseason last year turned the secondary shockingly respectable.  The LBs are the best they've been since SB years with Hightower coming into his own, and Mayo still dependable.  The pass rush, while certainly not top of the line, is servicable.  It is unfortunate that when everything else came together, Wilfork got hurt.

I'm surprised we haven't heard rumblings about trying to trade a mid-late round pick for a vet on the tail end of his contract.

Oddly, other than DT depth, this is probably the best Pats defense since 2004.  Dennard's improvement, plus adding Talib midseason last year turned the secondary shockingly respectable.  The LBs are the best they've been since SB years with Hightower coming into his own, and Mayo still dependable.  The pass rush, while certainly not top of the line, is servicable.  It is unfortunate that when everything else came together, Wilfork got hurt.

I'm surprised we haven't heard rumblings about trying to trade a mid-late round pick for a vet on the tail end of his contract.

I believe BB will try different defensive combinations before bringing an outsider in.

Yes he does. Expect everyone to run up the gut on them all day. 

IF you can run, you can keep Brady off the field. There is direct association with preventing the Pats from scoring. 

You preached gloom and doom with Welker gone too. Edelman has played outstanding.

How do you like Thompkins? Dobson is improving every game and Boyce has more potential than both of them. Then, Almendola, Vereen and Gronk will be back.

You preached gloom and doom with Welker gone too. Edelman has played outstanding.

How do you like Thompkins? Dobson is improving every game and Boyce has more potential than both of them. Then, Almendola, Vereen and Gronk will be back.

I'm neg repping your post because I didn't preach doom and gloom at all. 

I'm the one who for years has said that Welker was easily replaceable and I have been proven correct. 

You don't read very well, do you?

I'm the one who for years has said that Welker was easily replaceable and I have been proven correct. 

Define easily replaceble?

Even factoring in the loss of Gronk and Hernandez, who missed a combined 11 games last year, what metric are you using for this?

Scoring?  The Patriots are down 12 points per game so far.  Of course, this is not all attributable to Wes, but he was a huge factor in keeping the ball moving to get in range.

3rd down efficiency?  The Patriots are down here as well, which is a little more attributable to Wes, from 48% down to 42%.

Red Zone%?  Way down on this (70%->32%).  Again, this is not Wes' biggest impact, but as he has shown the last few years and this year in Denver, he is a target.

The fact is the offense is not nearly as efficient.  That has a lot to do with Wes.  Amendola might be capable to do it, but it is not like he is a street free agent.  He had more of a pedigree arriving in to New England than Wes did upon his arrival.  And while Edelman has played well, he is no Wes Welker. 

Again, the offense's lack of production is not solely due to Wes, but as I have said throughout the years, he is a huge factor in keeping the offense going.    

Define easily replaceble?

Even factoring in the loss of Gronk and Hernandez, who missed a combined 11 games last year, what metric are you using for this?

Scoring?  The Patriots are down 12 points per game so far.  Of course, this is not all attributable to Wes, but he was a huge factor in keeping the ball moving to get in range.

3rd down efficiency?  The Patriots are down here as well, which is a little more attributable to Wes, from 48% down to 42%.

Red Zone%?  Way down on this (70%->32%).  Again, this is not Wes' biggest impact, but as he has shown the last few years and this year in Denver, he is a target.

The fact is the offense is not nearly as efficient.  That has a lot to do with Wes.  Amendola might be capable to do it, but it is not like he is a street free agent.  He had more of a pedigree arriving in to New England than Wes did upon his arrival.  And while Edelman has played well, he is no Wes Welker. 

Again, the offense's lack of production is not solely due to Wes, but as I have said throughout the years, he is a huge factor in keeping the offense going.    

Welker on the Pats averaged about 8 catches per game for 88 yards and 7-8 TDs per year. 

As of today, Edelman is averaging 8.5 catches per game for 80 yards and is on pace for 8 TDs. 

Welker has been effectively replaced. 

The Pats scoring drop is not due to the loss of Welker. Its because of the loss of Gronkowski and the lack of a true #1 wideout who can threaten deep. 

My first point is that I hate the Patriots with a passion, and I wish the plague on Bill Belidick. My second point, which is related to my first point, is that the Patriots will be fine, because they simply know how to win. You rarely see them on the short end of a close game. If their opponent scores 40 points Brady and company will simply score 41. If Wilfat is out, they will find a way to win without him.

I relished watching the Patriots lose to the Jets in the 2011 playoffs, and watching them lose to the Giants twice in the Superbowl. I liked the shot of Giselle watching her man during the last Giants/Pats SB, she had this enraged look on her face like "Hey Tom, no Superbowl...then no Super pussy..."

You kept asking me about 6 times what I thought of Welkers loss. I said they were D O O M E D (sarcasm) and you never objected because you like to play both sides of the fence. You have not been proven correct since the NE pass offense has been down thus far.

Whats also evident is that Welker isnt the overated JAG that you said he was. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr He already has more TDs than last season after only 4 games. So, you are WRONG.

Welker on the Pats averaged about 8 catches per game for 88 yards and 7-8 TDs per year. 

As of today, Edelman is averaging 8.5 catches per game for 80 yards and is on pace for 8 TDs. 

Welker has been effectively replaced. 

The Pats scoring drop is not due to the loss of Welker. Its because of the loss of Gronkowski and the lack of a true #1 wideout who can threaten deep. 

So the whole offense revolved around Gronk?  MMMoookkaaayyy!

Again, as I said above, the scoring dip is not attributable solely to Wes, but the efficiency of the offense is.

And your 'average' comparison is stupid.  Wes averaged those numbers with Gronk, (11 games), Hernandez (10 games), LLyod, Woodhead and all the others.

Edelman is averaging that because he is pretty much it.

So the whole offense revolved around Gronk?  MMMoookkaaayyy!

Again, as I said above, the scoring dip is not attributable solely to Wes, but the efficiency of the offense is.

And your 'average' comparison is stupid.  Wes averaged those numbers with Gronk, (11 games), Hernandez (10 games), LLyod, Woodhead and all the others.

Edelman is averaging that because he is pretty much it.

Edelman is averaging those numbers even though he is the number one guy, which Welker never was? I was wrong, Welker was even worse than I thought, 

You kept asking me about 6 times what I thought of Welkers loss. I said they were D O O M E D (sarcasm) and you never objected because you like to play both sides of the fence. You have not been proven correct since the NE pass offense has been down thus far.

Whats also evident is that Welker isnt the overated JAG that you said he was. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr He already has more TDs than last season after only 4 games. So, you are WRONG.

You couldn't figure out why I kept asking you that question and this is your theory? :rl:

I agree Welker was replaceable.  When they gave extensions to Hernandez and Gronk last season, it was clear that #83 would be gone after the season, and frankly I was ok with that.  I didn't want to pay the guy #1 WR big time money.  He was ridiculously dependable for the Patriots and I do believe he is the absolute best slot receiver in the game, but that isn't a position you overpay for when you have Gronk and Hernandez.

Obviously no one expected Hernandez to turn out to be a killer, or Gronk to need even more surgery, so that plan fell apart.  Amendola definitely filled the role Welker did, but getting hurt in game 1 was a bit silly.

I will disagree with you about WRs who can threaten deep.  Dobson and Thompkins have both shown that they have the physical tools to blow by professional corners, and they regularly get open deep.  They just need to 1) get more experience with Tom (and vice versa) and 2) catch the catchable balls.  I think both will be very solid players in the future, once they get over the rookie hump.

Edelman is averaging those numbers even though he is the number one guy, which Welker never was? I was wrong, Welker was even worse than I thought, 

Orly?

Last year, Welker was traget 174 times last year over 16 games.  Gronk and Hernandez were targeted 163 times in their 21 games played.

In 2011, Welker was targeted 172 taimes.  Gronk had 124 and Hernandez 113.

In 2010, mind you it was Gronknandez' rookie years, but Welker was targeted 122.  The #2 target was Deoin Branch at 74.

2007 is the only year Wes was not the number 1 target. 

Archived