The 2014 QB class

Integrity28

131074.jpg

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler spoke with one NFC personnel exec who "gushed" about the 2014 QB class.

"His smile seemed to grow with every quarterback we discussed, including Oregon's Marcus Mariota who might have garnered the greatest grin," Brugler adds. As we've seen in other reports, up to nine quarterbacks could draw first-round grades from teams. Obviously certain underclassmen have to declare, but evaluators like what they have seen early on.

I truly hope we vet Geno quickly and efficiently this season and position ourselves to draft a QB next year, maybe even regardless of whatever promise Geno and Simms show. I'd hate to have us miss out on a good one, again.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The projection on Murray is going to be off the charts.

Kids is balling.  His biggest knock was not being clutch but I think that's been put to rest this season.  Guy has been smooth as ice down the stretch.

The NCAA seems to have a bunch of really talented next level guys.  I hate to say it but the guy I'm most excited about seeing as an NFL prospect is Jameis Winston. 

Kids is balling. His biggest knock was not being clutch but I think that's been put to rest this season. Guy has been smooth as ice down the stretch.

The NCAA seems to have a bunch of really talented next level guys. I hate to say it but the guy I'm most excited about seeing as an NFL prospect is Jameis Winston.

We won't see him till 2018 ? Maybe we will have the pieces then to surround him with talent

Kids is balling.  His biggest knock was not being clutch but I think that's been put to rest this season.  Guy has been smooth as ice down the stretch.

The NCAA seems to have a bunch of really talented next level guys.  I hate to say it but the guy I'm most excited about seeing as an NFL prospect is Jameis Winston. 

Wrong.  Biggest knock was height and will continue to be.

We won't see him till 2018 ? Maybe we will have the pieces then to surround him with talent

He'll be 2 years and done, no way he stays till his senior year.  The guy is just a monster and will probably be the #1 overall pick.  So big, so strong, he's mobile, huge arm.  Kid looks to be the real deal.  

Wrong.  Biggest knock was height and will continue to be.

Wrong.  6'1 is fine.  His biggest knock was coming up short in big games.  

If you're asking for my opinion, I'd be going Clemson all the way if we had to go QB. Im not sold on bridgewater, and with all the hype surrounding him makes me skeptical. Tajh Boyd feels like the real deal to me.

Boyd throws sidearm. And please, please don't draft a read option or spread QB. They dont win super bowls. Period.

I truly hope we vet Geno quickly and efficiently this season and position ourselves to draft a QB next year, maybe even regardless of whatever promise Geno and Simms show. I'd hate to have us miss out on a good one, again.

Thanks for posting. Now I know that the 2014 QB class garners "grins." Valuable.

Aaron Murray is Kellen Clemens.

The SEC's all time leading passer?  I dont know about that.  Higher completion percentage, more yards, a lot more TD's.  As a NCAA player, its not even comparable.  Might be right at the next level, but Murray will be coming out 5x the player of Clemens.

You could be right. I just know that I like what I see.

In the grad scheme of things it doesnt matter much with a QB that plays with his style. My issue is just that QB's of his style dont pick up NFL offenses fast and tend to not last a whole season.

I would love me some Sammy Watkins and Duke Johnson in rounds one and two. Where do I sign?

Too funny...I said the same thing this weekend watching those 2 games.  Instant upgrade.  Duke needs to hold on to the ball better but homey is a game breaker.  I think he'll end up in the 3rd round too.  If Eddie Lacy fell basically to the 3rd, I dont see Duke going higher.  

Too funny...I said the same thing this weekend watching those 2 games.  Instant upgrade.  Duke needs to hold on to the ball better but homey is a game breaker.  I think he'll end up in the 3rd round too.  If Eddie Lacy fell basically to the 3rd, I dont see Duke going higher.  

Duke is just such a beast. You are right though. I dont think he will run a great 40 based on his playing speed. He follows his blocks well, finishes runs hard and is extremely quick. Reminds me of a Tomlinson but maybe a bit slower top end speed?

Edit: We must have been watching the same games this weekend. lol

Duke is just such a beast. You are right though. I dont think he will run a great 40 based on his playing speed. He follows his blocks well, finishes runs hard and is extremely quick. Reminds me of a Tomlinson but maybe a bit slower top end speed?

Edit: We must have been watching the same games this weekend. lol

I dont know bro.  He's on the Miaim track team.  Kid can fly.

I dont know bro.  He's on the Miaim track team.  Kid can fly.

Yeah you are probably right. lol. He may go in the first. The difference between him and Lacy is that Duke isn't running behind Chance and those Alabama big boys.

Thanks for posting. Now I know that the 2014 QB class garners "grins." Valuable.

Thank you for posting, here I thought it was a given that I was alluding to incentive for not giving a sh*t if Geno is "the guy".

Without your help, I probably wouldn't have remembered how important it is to be insufferably pedantic when bringing up a talking point or that I would have had greater success had I posted about Giants fans, penis, or leaving the forum.

In the spirit of front offices knowing when to pull the plug, admit a mistake and move on from it (something Tanny couldn't do, which got us here)... 

Raiders released QB Matt Flynn.

It's a stunning admission of defeat from out-of-his-depth GM Reggie McKenzie, but hardly surprising considering coach Dennis Allen's barely-concealed disdain for his would-be starting quarterback. Flynn had tumbled behind Matt McGloin — a painful to watch quarterback in college— on the depth chart, and was embarrassingly inept in his Week 4 spot start against the Redskins. The fact that he's bringing home a guaranteed $6.5 million this season is one of the most embarrassing GM gaffes in recent memory. Between his money wasted in Flynn and fourth-round misfire on Tyler Wilson, McKenzie has proven he has no idea what he's doing with quarterbacks. Barely a No. 2 level talent, it's possible Flynn will latch back on with the Packers, who lack a viable backup behind Aaron Rodgers.

Damn Matt Flynn got rich for having one good game as a backup. LOL

Thank you for posting, here I thought it was a given that I was alluding to incentive for not giving a sh*t if Geno is "the guy".

Without your help, I probably wouldn't have remembered how important it is to be insufferably pedantic when bringing up a talking point or that I would have had greater success had I posted about Giants fans, penis, or leaving the forum.

*grins*

Yeah you are probably right. lol. He may go in the first. The difference between him and Lacy is that Duke isn't running behind Chance and those Alabama big boys.

Miami's OLine is pretty highly regarded.They're all tanks. Duke is definitely a playmaker. Kid loves Miami though.. most of the insiders think he stays for his junior season.

Now imagine the Jets did the smart thing that idiots like me saw, and took the 2014 pick for Revis, and not the 2013 pick! Draft Richardson instead of the oft injury riddled Milliner (dude had multiple surgeries before his college career was over). The Jets could be looking at pick #2, and no higher than 5, and probably a 10-15 in next years 1st, snatching a QB, and a top elite WR, 3 have elite top end 1st round talent in Lee, Evans, and Watkins.

If you're asking for my opinion, I'd be going Clemson all the way if we had to go QB. Im not sold on bridgewater, and with all the hype surrounding him makes me skeptical. Tajh Boyd feels like the real deal to me.

Boyd is the 4th best QB prospect next year IMO, Hundley, Bridgewater, Mariota, and Manziel are all better prospects IMO. Boyd is identical to G Smith IMO.

Archived