nice win...but wtf is up with this defense sh*tting the bed constantly when the game is on the line?

neckdemon

The officiating was horrible.  I don't even think it was pro-Falcon.  It just sucked and Gruden is a ******* blind idiot reading from a script. "Look at that great D!" while the defender pulls down the WR arm.  "The Jets like to use a lot of unusual formations!"  as he describes their base set when they line up to open up the game with 3 men in the backfield. 

The run defense was superior. From here on no offense is going to bother much trying.

Pass defense-different story. Seemed to a zone and Cro=Cromartie took Jones and everyone else playing zone. Expect to see a lot of passes to TEs (although few are as good as Gonzo at 39 is; he has no business retiring if he can still play at this level) and secondary receivers looking for seams between zone coverage.

I thought Rex handled the post game interview well.  He kept bringing everything back to the team.  Pretty sure Rex learned his lesson about becoming his young unproven QB's fanboy.  

Agreed.  It also wasn't just Geno, it was any time the media tried to focus in on any one particular player.  He went out of his way to continue to drive home the point that this was about no single player, but about the entire team.  He said it took every last one of them to win that game and he was absolutely right.  He's definitely much better than he used to be with all of this stuff.

Matt Ryan is pretty good and he was on point pretty much the entire game. We actually did pretty well to slow him down like we did even if it was a torture to watch at times.

I wouldn't say they sh*t the bed like they have previously. The Falcons were rolling at that point and we actually did make the stop,  the refs screwed us over big time. It's not like one of those games where we were lights out for 57 minutes and then get cut apart in a two minute drill to lose.

Teams make adjustments. Penalties happen and a QB gets hot. All those things happened - along with several missed tackles (inexcuseable) but I didn't see a lack of effort from the D. That defensive line is going down in history if they keep playing like they have been, Wilkerson is an AllPro waiting to happen. Snacks is unblockable in the middle and Richardson will be a monster. I love this D-Line.

I thought Rex handled the post game interview well.  He kept bringing everything back to the team.  Pretty sure Rex learned his lesson about becoming his young unproven QB's fanboy.  

I thought Rex could have credited Geno a little more than he did. Yes, it was a good team victory, but when asked about Geno showing greater maturity Rex should have warmed up to that subject and given him his due. Rex seemed all out of breath and unable to really formulate his thoughts. Deep down he is a fan as well as a coach. Next time Rex, give a little sugar...it goes a long way.

We all know that, but you know what... it still ended up on the scoreboard, thus it has to be accounted for. Unfortunately.

Very true, and it would be tough to dismiss had the Jets lost.  That said, I don't see the need to tear apart the D after this game either.  It seems to have become this default reaction that we assume the offense to suck so the defense has to be perfect otherwise they are crucified.  It's nice to actually have the offense help the D out for a change, and perhaps even bail them out, as opposed to it always going the other way.  And with that happening, would you look at that, the Jets get a win!  Don't get me wrong, there were some definite screw-ups but there were also some awesome plays and the fact that twice in the same freakin' game the Falcons were handed 5+ downs to score from the 5 is just ridiculous.

You definitely want to see better performances than that on a weekly basis, but on the road against a very good offense, I'll take it.  In the NFL these days there's only so much a defense can do, so it's up to the offense to keep up their end of the bargain too and this week they absolutely did that... big time.  If that's potentially one of the worst performances we'll see out of this D all season, and yet they still walk out with a win, that's a nice change of pace.

I thought Rex could have credited Geno a little more than he did. Yes, it was a good team victory, but when asked about Geno showing greater maturity Rex should have warmed up to that subject and given him his due. Rex seemed all out of breath and unable to really formulate his thoughts. Deep down he is a fan as well as a coach. Next time Rex, give a little sugar...it goes a long way.

Geno was forced on Rex, like Stephen Hill was forced on Rex.

2 goal line stands 1 of which being ruined by terrible officiating, 2 missed opportunities for turnovers 1 of which should have been a pick six, tons of home cooked calls apparently holding is legal in Atlanta on every play, all in all, we knew the Jets would have to score 28+ to win because that might be the most loaded offense in the league for a weaponz standpoint.

At the end of the day, Geno bailed the D out...but I wouldnt kill them for last nights efforts.  The goal line stand at the end of the half was a huge difference maker in this game.

Very true, and it would be tough to dismiss had the Jets lost.  That said, I don't see the need to tear apart the D after this game either.  It seems to have become this default reaction that we assume the offense to suck so the defense has to be perfect otherwise they are crucified.  It's nice to actually have the offense help the D out for a change, and perhaps even bail them out, as opposed to it always going the other way.  And with that happening, would you look at that, the Jets get a win!  Don't get me wrong, there were some definite screw-ups but there were also some awesome plays and the fact that twice in the same freakin' game the Falcons were handed 5+ downs to score from the 5 is just ridiculous.

You definitely want to see better performances than that on a weekly basis, but on the road against a very good offense, I'll take it.  In the NFL these days there's only so much a defense can do, so it's up to the offense to keep up their end of the bargain too and this week they absolutely did that... big time.  If that's potentially one of the worst performances we'll see out of this D all season, and yet they still walk out with a win, that's a nice change of pace.

No kidding.

Giving them a fresh set of down is just such horsesh*t. I cant kill the D on that one. Not in the realm of the Tampa game

Yeah, check the game thread - nobody, including myself, was getting on the D for that. It was bad officiating.

The D caught flack in the 2nd half when they started giving up huge chunks of yards to the hurry-up offense (Rex's achilles heel).

In all, this was a good win when you consider the major factors against us:

- on the road

- against 3 top tier receiving talents and a top 10 QB

- they were desperate, season on the line

- the officiating sucked and hurt us more than them

2 goal line stands 1 of which being ruined by terrible officiating, 2 missed opportunities for turnovers 1 of which should have been a pick six, tons of home cooked calls apparently holding is legal in Atlanta on every play, all in all, we knew the Jets would have to score 28+ to win because that might be the most loaded offense in the league for a weaponz standpoint.

At the end of the day, Geno bailed the D out...but I wouldnt kill them for last nights efforts.  The goal line stand at the end of the half was a huge difference maker in this game.

Even with all of the offensive weapons on ATL you'd like to see Jets "bend but don't break" and hold ATL to 3 a couple more times.    swap out 2 of the TDs with FGs and 20pts is a lot more reasonable.  

Even with all of the offensive weapons on ATL you'd like to see Jets "bend but don't break" and hold ATL to 3 a couple more times.    swap out 2 of the TDs with FGs and 20pts is a lot more reasonable.  

That Julio Jones catch was simply freakish.  Even though Cro got burned I don't know how much the D can be faulted for that play.  And while the D struggled in the 2nd half our play in the 1st was amazing, particularly the goalline stand.  The total effort by the D was solid.  It's a high scoring league, the Falcons were at home in their dome and were supposed to thrash us, but instead the D gave us a chance to win.  Can't ask for more than that.  

It's also good to know we have an offense that maybe can bail out the D now and then.

the broncos and cowboys game ended 51-48. it was tied at 48 all late in the game. 

ideally, this is how the league wants games to go. 

the Jets D had some mistakes and some missed opportunities but they play like one of the top units in football. 

Julio, Locker... teams come out worse for having played this D. 

Some may see it as alarming, but I just feel like this is what happens in the NFL. 

When an offense is forced to play fast, hurry-up football, they are at an advantage.  The defense has less time to set itself, and probably will play their safeties back to prevent giving up the huge play, etc.

This, coupled with the rules set up to favor the passing offense, seems to make this happen.  Seems I will invariably see a defensive pass interference called at least once on every one of these late game, desperation type drives.

What have we been saying we've needed to get to the next level all this time?  A QB and a pass-rush.  We have the ability to get to the QB now and we might have a real QB, finally.  

But there are always sacrifices.  We can no longer be that team that simply shuts down an opposing offense.  We now have some question marks in the secondary for when we do NOT get to the QB.  Our QB can throw it deep but will make mistakes, especially given the volume of throws we have per game.

But our upside is high.  If we can get to the playoffs sometime in the near future we can make a run with this type of team.

Archived