Who is this team?

ZachEY

It's the 2009 Jets all over again, playing 12 of the same teams we played that year, rookie QB, at times a dominant D who gives up late 4th quarter go ahead scores.  So far the difference is MM over Schotty, IF Geno can continue to get better like he did tonight who knows, but one thing I do know is that the Jets will have to outscore the better teams, this secondary will not stop anyone, so if you get into the playoffs this year it's going to be a shoot out with the Broncos, or who ever is in there willing to try, and score as many points, as fast as possible!

Good news is that Pittsburgh is horrible against the run and the Jets RBs seem to be close to full strength.  I just hope Marty is willing to stop passing for a minute or two.

Also good news is that they finally get to play Pittsburgh at home. I'm not sure how good that is, but two places I'm sick of seeing are Pittsburgh and Oakland. 

Who are we? We are what our record says we are.  3-2.   Not much more to figure out

Yup, and were 1 play from 4-1, and 3 plays from 0-5, so yea we are what our record says we are!  Nobody is anything in week 5 other than the few elite teams, and the few crap teams that leaves 24 teams still trying to figure out which way their team will go in the next 11 weeks, and it all comes down to 1, or 2 plays late in games if your still alive to be one of those teams who can figure it out, and make some noise, or if your bad bounces eliminated you no matter how good your team gets later in the year, so yes the fact we are 3-2 still gives us hope, but a few bounces the other way we are talking Bridgewater/Clowney ect. for real right now like the Bucs.

They get humiliated by the Titans, then battle the Falcons to the bone. More scrappy than good, they're simply precocious.

One big difference in those games was Vlad The Turnstile being moved from LT to TE. Gregg Williams keyed in on exploiting The Turnstile which in turn led to 3 and outs which led to a gassed D which led to nothing working and the subsequent loss.

Seriously, I'm done trying. I don't have a clue at this point.

I spent the offseason telling people that they were going to be better than advertised.  Geno will struggle against a top defense. Luckily there are very few of them.

He is a rookie, so there will be some clunkers.  But the talent around him is better than people realize.  If Milliner and Holmes can contribute at some point this season, they will be in playoff contention.  Seriously believe that.

I spent the offseason telling people that they were going to be better than advertised.  Geno will struggle against a top defense. Luckily there are very few of them.

He is a rookie, so there will be some clunkers.  But the talent around him is better than people realize.  If Milliner and Holmes can contribute at some point this season, they will be in playoff contention.  Seriously believe that.

This season will probably come down to what the Jets do in the 2 Miami games, this rivalry will be revived in a serious way this year, its not a far fetched thing to think the Jets will stroll into Miami at 9-6, and playing a 10-5, or 9-6 Dolphins team week 17 on Sunday Night football win, and your in game!

We're either the youngest or 2nd youngest (Rams?) team in the NFL.  This is what happens when you have a lot of young talent.  You win some games you shouldn't and look terrible some other weeks. 

At least we have more of a positive identity than we used to.  We know every week our Front 7 has the ability to dominate.  We know we have a pretty good o-line and can run the ball when we need to.  We know our secondary has issues but can occasionally make some plays.  We know that if the game is close our rookie QB has the ability to drive us down the field and win the game.  These are good signs.

Good win against Atlanta, but Pittsburgh and NE will be truer tests of their NFL 'manhood'. If Geno regresses against physical defenses like the Steelers and Pats we'll know they just pretending, but I don't think so. Should have beaten the Pats the first time around, so I am very hopeful for a win at home. Pittsburgh is totally desperate but they have zip surrounding Big Ben and the Jets defense alone should be able to hold the fort here. I'm loving it, but not drinking the Kool Aid just yet  - too many broken hearts have taught me better.

Good win against Atlanta, but Pittsburgh and NE will be truer tests of their NFL 'manhood'. If Geno regresses against physical defenses like the Steelers and Pats we'll know they just pretending, but I don't think so. Should have beaten the Pats the first time around, so I am very hopeful for a win at home. Pittsburgh is totally desperate but they have zip surrounding Big Ben and the Jets defense alone should be able to hold the fort here. I'm loving it, but not drinking the Kool Aid just yet  - too many broken hearts have taught me better.

Steelers haven't been playing very physical lately.  They've been getting torn apart in the running game.  But coming off a bye week we might see a completely different team, who knows.  I'm just glad we don't have to go TO Pittsburgh.

Seriously, I'm done trying. I don't have a clue at this point.

Is it any different than any Rex Ryan led team?  

Its a team who can compete with any team in the league as long as they get competent QB play.  As long as the offense isnt turning the ball over at a league high rate or isnt a constant 3 and out special, they can beat anyone.  This has always been the case, even the last 2 seasons the Jets didnt make the playoffs.

We're either the youngest or 2nd youngest (Rams?) team in the NFL.  This is what happens when you have a lot of young talent.  You win some games you shouldn't and look terrible some other weeks. 

At least we have more of a positive identity than we used to.  We know every week our Front 7 has the ability to dominate.  We know we have a pretty good o-line and can run the ball when we need to.  We know our secondary has issues but can occasionally make some plays.  We know that if the game is close our rookie QB has the ability to drive us down the field and win the game.  These are good signs.

On this note, while the focus obviously went onto that one bad play, Winters looked pretty damn good out there last night.  He certainly had one really bad whiff which, as Gruden had said, it looked like he was pushing the DL inside expecting help from Mangold.  Obviously that's not a play you want to see with any regularity in the future (like we have from Vlad) but it was a nice first start out of the kid.

On this note, while the focus obviously went onto that one bad play, Winters looked pretty damn good out there last night. He certainly had one really bad whiff which, as Gruden had said, it looked like he was pushing the DL inside expecting help from Mangold. Obviously that's not a play you want to see with any regularity in the future (like we have from Vlad) but it was a nice first start out of the kid.

Greenseed4 had a good point in the game thread last night. It was refreshing not to hear "Holding, Number 62," or "False Start, Number 62."

Also good news is that they finally get to play Pittsburgh at home. I'm not sure how good that is, but two places I'm sick of seeing are Pittsburgh and Oakland. 

Take a trip to Pitt some time if you get a chance. For probably 10% of the cost, they built a much nicer stadium than we did. 

Greenseed4 had a good point in the game thread last night. It was refreshing not to hear "Holding, Number 62," or "False Start, Number 62."

I wonder if he'd get away with it last night since clearly the Falcons OL was allowed to blatantly hold all game long.  

The jets are certainly surprising me as a fan I picked them to win 6 games they might as well go over that win margin. Geno Smith is progressing well as a rookie throwing well and thank goodness for the great play of the O-Line & Defense. The mediocre jet recieveing core stepped up big time. That 2 minute drive in the end of the 4th quarter was pure skill Geno played like a NFL veteran. I'm thinking playoffs a little bit now.

This jets team has heart and a will to win. All those supposed experts that picked against the jets are eating crap now. Lets go jets. Keep winning for rex ryan

• 2 weeks later...

We're a good team. Fundamentally solid, very strong in the trenches and pretty well coached, but an erratic rookie QB that will give winnable games away and win others spectacularly. 

8-8 at worst. 10-6 at best. Our schedule hasn't been too kind though, this rough stretch could break us. 

We're a good team. Fundamentally solid, very strong in the trenches and pretty well coached, but an erratic rookie QB that will give winnable games away and win others spectacularly. 

8-8 at worst. 10-6 at best. Our schedule hasn't been too kind though, this rough stretch could break us. 

See, I feel like we're not a good team.  But, we have some very good pieces in place which allows us to overachieve at times, especially when the rookie QB plays well.

Archived