Who is this team?

ZachEY

See, I feel like we're not a good team.  But, we have some very good pieces in place which allows us to overachieve at times, especially when the rookie QB plays well.

When the rookie QB plays well I think we're a legit top team. Beat the Falcons in Atlanta, beat the Pats. The much maligned "weapons" aren't as bad as we thought they'd be, in fact I'd say they're solid across the board. The line is good on both sides of the ball, on defence I'd say we're just lack a playmaker. It would also be nice to see Cro play to his normal standards, but yeah, overall a solid unit.

So I'd say, like a lot of teams, we're as good as our QB. It shows even more than most in our record. 

I'd say we're doing things that a talented but young team does, with a coach that has awesome moments and some head-scratching ones mixed in.  You get some great efforts along with some awful ones.  But as this team matures and you add more pieces (which we will have ample room to do so this offseason), it could be a GREAT team as soon as next year.  It depends a lot on whether Geno is THE GUY.

When the rookie QB plays well I think we're a legit top team. Beat the Falcons in Atlanta, beat the Pats. The much maligned "weapons" aren't as bad as we thought they'd be, in fact I'd say they're solid across the board. The line is good on both sides of the ball, on defence I'd say we're just lack a playmaker. It would also be nice to see Cro play to his normal standards, but yeah, overall a solid unit.

So I'd say, like a lot of teams, we're as good as our QB. It shows even more than most in our record. 

Pats are brutalized by injury (and to me are Tom Brady away from being the Jaguars) and the Falcons are living off of reputation and aren't that good this year. 

Not taking anything away from todays win, as it was a great one.  But, I just don't see this team as a top team even if Geno plays great.  We still stink at WR and DB.  Like bottom of the league units, bad.

Is it any different than any Rex Ryan led team?  

Its a team who can compete with any team in the league as long as they get competent QB play.  As long as the offense isnt turning the ball over at a league high rate or isnt a constant 3 and out special, they can beat anyone.  This has always been the case, even the last 2 seasons the Jets didnt make the playoffs.

Hey wait.  What's going on here?  I thought this was your week to hate Rex?  I'm confused

BTW your right.  If the Jets QB isn't being bi-polar, Rex puts a good enough team on the field to beat any one

We're a good team. Fundamentally solid, very strong in the trenches and pretty well coached, but an erratic rookie QB that will give winnable games away and win others spectacularly. 

8-8 at worst. 10-6 at best. Our schedule hasn't been too kind though, this rough stretch could break us. 

Exactly, good TE, good WR that can separate from DB, great RB, definitely a good team.  :sign0182:

Pats are brutalized by injury (and to me are Tom Brady away from being the Jaguars) and the Falcons are living off of reputation and aren't that good this year. 

Not taking anything away from todays win, as it was a great one.  But, I just don't see this team as a top team even if Geno plays great.  We still stink at WR and DB.  Like bottom of the league units, bad.

They are, but we're also missing Holmes, who for all the hate he gets, is a very good NFL WR. Pats had Gronkowski back.

I don't think the Falcons are as bad as their record. Maybe not as good as they were supposed to be, but never an easy place to go. It was a great win.

I don't think we're anywhere near bottom of the league bad in those units. I actually like how our WR's (minus Gates) have played this season. Our DB's are pretty poor, but Rex and the line have masked it pretty well at times.

I still think any teams that's as strong up front as we are on both sides of the ball, is generally mediocre at worst. We're certainly not a bad team.

good defense. needs to learn to seal the win. i think this might be attributed to rex a bit since he is running the defense. if he can get that fixed they can be great. need a little secondary help.

offense is ok. need some serious skill position help. cumberland is ok, but drops too many passes. kerley is a gamer and a definite keeper. if geno can fix the bone-headed decisions he can be pretty good. i think we need to bring in legit competition this offseason just to push him and not just hand him the starting gig without a fight.

need a better punter and a real speed threat at runningback.

a big time receiver is an obvious need.

all in all this is a solid team that, with one good offseason can become a real contender. it will mostly hinge on geno being the real deal or finding a legit qb if he's not.

Agreed about what the future could hold. Hopefully a quality wr is available whenever we pick.

With the way Mike Evans' is playing and Lee getting hurt, it's possible we can see a swap of the WR rankings. Regardless, there's going to be Marqise Lee, who before this season was a better prospect than Blackmon, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Jordan Matthews and then a few beastly tight ends in ASJ out of UW and someone who could end up getting picked above him in Eric Ebron from UNC.  With a handful of potential first round QBs a couple stud Offensive tackles and a slew of elite defensive players, there's a very strong possibility one of the elite offensive skill players could fall to us.  Just watching calvin johnson and dez bryant, you see what wonders someone like that could do for Geno, especially with Hill, Cumberland and Kerley on the team. Kerley is a hell of a slot receiver and if we can get someone one the outside to play opposite of Hill, he's capable of putting up games like this consistently, at least in my opinion.

Edit: Just because I thought it was an interesting stat, 7 out of kerley's 8 catches either went for a first down or a TD. He balled out today.

Archived