Geno Smith Seems To Have Super Quality

flgreen

Geno Smith Improves, Comes Through in Clutch

Posted 29 minutes ago

Charlie Frankel

Reporter

Last Sunday in Tennessee, Geno Smith contributed to our 38-13 loss when he added turnover number 8, then 9, then 10, and finally 11 to his season totals.

"I'll get better from this," Smith promised after the crushing defeat. "I'm one of those guys that can put this in my memory bank, put it behind me, and find a way to get better from it."

After a turnover-free, come-from-behind, Monday night primetime road victory, it’s looking like the 22-year-old may have been on to something.

“I made it my duty to come out here and not put the ball on the ground, not put my team in jeopardy,” Smith said on ESPN after Monday night's 30-28 victory, “and it came down to a last-second drive against a tough Atlanta team on the road, but we stood up tonight and that just speaks volumes about this team’s character.”

“The biggest thing I’m proud of is we did not turn the football over,” head coach Rex Ryan said. “We were not reckless. We were just the opposite — we were fearless — and that’s how we have to play.”

The Green & White extended their 10-point halftime lead to 13 points early in the fourth quarter, but Matt Ryan and the Falcons turned things around quickly and fought back for what they hoped was the game-winning touchdown drive, putting them up one, 28-27, with 1:54 remaining.

But as Smith told Jets play-by-play announcer Bob Wischusen after the game, “two minutes is plenty of time.”

And Rex said, “As soon as our offense got the ball, there wasn’t one guy on that sideline who didn’t think we were going to win the game.”

Eight plays, 55 yards, and one Nick Folk field goal later, Smith became just the second rookie QB in NFL history to win a road game on Monday night.

“This was just regular Geno,” WR Stephen Hill said of the game-winning drive. “The first game you saw it, he brought us back into field goal range [vs. Tampa Bay]. Geno's just doing his job."

"He does a great job not only at the end of games, but in the two-minute drills in the first halves,” Folk said of the rookie QB. “Two weeks ago [vs. Buffalo] he did a great job of getting us down there, getting us in the red zone. He excels in that situation."

Now sitting one game over .500 at 3-2, the Jets are tied for second in the AFC East with the Miami Dolphins, trailing the 4-1 New England Patriots, thanks in part to what LB Calvin Pace said was “some of the best offense I’ve seen since I’ve been here.”

“We believe in Rex and we believe in each other," Pace said. "And the message the day before the game was 'Let's just show everybody what the Jets are all about.' And I think with these guys being so young, it was a statement win. Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down, but you've got to make the plays at the end.”

Smith made those plays and the Jets won.

He’s now one of two rookie quarterbacks to throw for three touchdowns on Monday Night Football (the other was Miami's Dan Marino in 1983), and he’s the first rookie in the Super Bowl era to complete 80 percent of his passes (16-for-20) with three touchdowns and no interceptions on any night of the week.

I have criticisms but will withhold them today in honor of the great JETS victory last night. 

In other words 

"We're sorry for any inconvenience in my program this victory may have caused you, the regular scheduled attacks will resume tomorrow"    

In other words 

"We're sorry for any inconvenience in my program this victory may have caused you, the regular scheduled attacks will resume tomorrow"    

I am extremely happy when the Jets win, even if they prove my predictions wrong. 

I have criticisms but will withhold them today in honor of the great JETS victory last night. 

"You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose." -Lou Holtz

Your not really going to quote POS Lou Holtz on a Jets board are you?  

Winslow apparently not happy with his decreased opportunities

Posted by Mike Florio on October 8, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
winslow.jpg?w=193Getty Images

There’s no point being a soldier if there’s no soldiering to do.

Jets tight end Kellen Winslow saw Jeff Cumberland get more opportunities to play and produce on Monday night, and Winslow didn’t like it.

Sure, Winslow made a nice catch of a touchdown pass.  But it was the only pass thrown his way all night, and quarterback Geno Smith reportedly said Winslow was frustrated.

Asked by reporters after the game to respond, Winslow said (via Matt Winkeljohn of ESPNNewYork.com), “I don’t think that would be a good choice.”

No, it wouldn’t be.  It also wouldn’t be a good choice to say “I don’t think that would be a good choice” or to otherwise say or do anything that could be viewed as evidence of frustration.

Winslow should have no frustrations of any kind.  After being out of the NFL for most of last year and having to get the Jets’ attention via participation in a minicamp on a tryout basis, Winslow has a job in the NFL and he is contributing.  So what if, for one game, Cumberland contributed more?

And if the problem is that Smith has a greater level of comfort with Cumberland because Cumberland is able to practice more frequently, because Winslow has chronic knee problems, Winslow’s only alternative to doing what he can within his physical limitation is to do nothing at all.

Winslow apparently not happy with his decreased opportunities

Posted by Mike Florio on October 8, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
winslow.jpg?w=193Getty Images

There’s no point being a soldier if there’s no soldiering to do.

Jets tight end Kellen Winslow saw Jeff Cumberland get more opportunities to play and produce on Monday night, and Winslow didn’t like it.

Sure, Winslow made a nice catch of a touchdown pass.  But it was the only pass thrown his way all night, and quarterback Geno Smith reportedly said Winslow was frustrated.

Asked by reporters after the game to respond, Winslow said (via Matt Winkeljohn of ESPNNewYork.com), “I don’t think that would be a good choice.”

No, it wouldn’t be.  It also wouldn’t be a good choice to say “I don’t think that would be a good choice” or to otherwise say or do anything that could be viewed as evidence of frustration.

Winslow should have no frustrations of any kind.  After being out of the NFL for most of last year and having to get the Jets’ attention via participation in a minicamp on a tryout basis, Winslow has a job in the NFL and he is contributing.  So what if, for one game, Cumberland contributed more?

And if the problem is that Smith has a greater level of comfort with Cumberland because Cumberland is able to practice more frequently, because Winslow has chronic knee problems, Winslow’s only alternative to doing what he can within his physical limitation is to do nothing at all.

I'm happy Winslow is on the team but this is what makes him a jerk.   Cumberland had a monster game.   Winslow time will come, but he is going to whine and pressure the young QB to throw him the ball.

Kellen  STFU

"You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose." -Lou Holtz

Start Matt Simms

I'm happy Winslow is on the team but this is what makes him a jerk.   Cumberland had a monster game.   Winslow time will come, but he is going to whine and pressure the young QB to throw him the ball.

Kellen  STFU

Although it is nice to see that, even if that is the case, Geno clearly wasn't at all phased by it.  He wasn't forcing any passes Winslow's way to make him happy, and seemed pretty unphased when it came up after the game.

Upon Further Review: Jets Week 5

October, 8, 2013

OCT 8

2:15

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

An examination of four hot issues from the New York Jets' 30-28 victory over the Atlanta Falcons on "Monday Night Football":

1. Broadway Geno: This is what makes the NFL so compelling: A week ago, Geno Smith was a turnover-prone rookie, hearing whispers about his job security. Now he's Mr. Clutch, delivering one of the Jets' best two-minute drives in years to stun the Falcons. Years from now, this could be remembered as a turning point in his career. For now, he should savor the moment. Consider: He became the first rookie quarterback in the Super Bowl era to compile this trifecta on the road -- 80 percent completion rate, three touchdowns and no interceptions, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Oh, by the way, he leads the NFL in game-winning, fourth-quarter drives -- three. How meaningful is that? Prior to this season, it happened only twice in Jets history for a rookie quarterback. One word: Wow.

2. Three-headed monster: Asked about the wide receiver injuries last week, Rex Ryan joked that maybe they should play the wishbone. Was he really joking? On a few plays, they actually used two halfbacks and a fullback in a pistol set -- Bilal Powell, Chris Ivory and Tommy Bohanon, respectively. In fact, they opened the game in that formation. Overall, the Jets averaged 5.4 yards per carry and they used their personnel to the max. They had their full complement of backs for the first time, with Ivory (healthy) and Mike Goodson (suspension served) joining Powell. Ivory and Goodson combined for only eight touches, but the workload included 19- and 26-yard runs, respectively. David Lee's fingerprints were on the game plan. He's a former college coach who helped bring the Wildcat to the NFL. The Jets ran five plays for 33 yards out of the Wildcat. The emphasis on the backs, and the tight ends as well, was designed to exploit the Falcons' patchwork linebacking corps.

3. Don't say the words: There might not be a phrase in the English language that Rex Ryan despises more than "bend but don't break." As an aggressive defensive coach, that philosophy simply isn't in his DNA -- but it sure looked that way in this game. The Jets allowed 363 total yards, didn't put up much of a fight on third down (6-for-12) and let the Falcons control the ball on four drives of at least 10 plays. If you didn't know better, you might have thought the strategy was to play soft between the 20s, cranking up the pressure in the red zone -- where the Falcons had been struggling. If that was the plan, it didn't work, as the Falcons scored touchdowns on four of five trips to the red zone. In the last two games, the Jets' once-formiable red-zone defense has slacked off, as opponents have converted seven of nine for touchdowns.

4. The tough guys won: Overshadowed in the pregame hype, which focused on Falcons QB Matt Ryan and his weapons, was the Jets' superiority on both lines. It played out that way, as they dominated in the trenches. The Falcons ran up some pretty offensive numbers, dinking and dunking and claiming an 11-minute advantage in possession time, but they got pushed around up front. Coach Mike Smith, perhaps trying to convince his players they could outmuscle the Jets, took that fourth-and-1 gamble at the end of the first half, passing up three easy points -- the difference in the game. The Jets were forced to play a near-perfect game, but they did, thanks to Smith and PK Nick Folk (3-for-3).

Upon Further Review: Jets Week 5

October, 8, 2013

OCT 8

2:15

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

An examination of four hot issues from the New York Jets' 30-28 victory over the Atlanta Falcons on "Monday Night Football":

1. Broadway Geno: This is what makes the NFL so compelling: A week ago, Geno Smith was a turnover-prone rookie, hearing whispers about his job security. Now he's Mr. Clutch, delivering one of the Jets' best two-minute drives in years to stun the Falcons. Years from now, this could be remembered as a turning point in his career. For now, he should savor the moment. Consider: He became the first rookie quarterback in the Super Bowl era to compile this trifecta on the road -- 80 percent completion rate, three touchdowns and no interceptions, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Oh, by the way, he leads the NFL in game-winning, fourth-quarter drives -- three. How meaningful is that? Prior to this season, it happened only twice in Jets history for a rookie quarterback. One word: Wow.

2. Three-headed monster: Asked about the wide receiver injuries last week, Rex Ryan joked that maybe they should play the wishbone. Was he really joking? On a few plays, they actually used two halfbacks and a fullback in a pistol set -- Bilal Powell, Chris Ivory and Tommy Bohanon, respectively. In fact, they opened the game in that formation. Overall, the Jets averaged 5.4 yards per carry and they used their personnel to the max. They had their full complement of backs for the first time, with Ivory (healthy) and Mike Goodson (suspension served) joining Powell. Ivory and Goodson combined for only eight touches, but the workload included 19- and 26-yard runs, respectively. David Lee's fingerprints were on the game plan. He's a former college coach who helped bring the Wildcat to the NFL. The Jets ran five plays for 33 yards out of the Wildcat. The emphasis on the backs, and the tight ends as well, was designed to exploit the Falcons' patchwork linebacking corps.

3. Don't say the words: There might not be a phrase in the English language that Rex Ryan despises more than "bend but don't break." As an aggressive defensive coach, that philosophy simply isn't in his DNA -- but it sure looked that way in this game. The Jets allowed 363 total yards, didn't put up much of a fight on third down (6-for-12) and let the Falcons control the ball on four drives of at least 10 plays. If you didn't know better, you might have thought the strategy was to play soft between the 20s, cranking up the pressure in the red zone -- where the Falcons had been struggling. If that was the plan, it didn't work, as the Falcons scored touchdowns on four of five trips to the red zone. In the last two games, the Jets' once-formiable red-zone defense has slacked off, as opponents have converted seven of nine for touchdowns.

4. The tough guys won: Overshadowed in the pregame hype, which focused on Falcons QB Matt Ryan and his weapons, was the Jets' superiority on both lines. It played out that way, as they dominated in the trenches. The Falcons ran up some pretty offensive numbers, dinking and dunking and claiming an 11-minute advantage in possession time, but they got pushed around up front. Coach Mike Smith, perhaps trying to convince his players they could outmuscle the Jets, took that fourth-and-1 gamble at the end of the first half, passing up three easy points -- the difference in the game. The Jets were forced to play a near-perfect game, but they did, thanks to Smith and PK Nick Folk (3-for-3).

Cimini?  This actually pretty good work right here. 

1. Wow.  Just wow.  And I'm not typically big on the "first ever or second ever" in this situation or that stats...but the stuff that Geno did last night is impressive.

2. Its nice to have all these options, but I'm a fan of the hot hand approach.  Be interesting to see how they manage that.  Goodson looks like he's got break away speed.  Powell just gets it done and I fear for Ivory every time he touches the ball.  He runs so hard I fear that ball is coming out.

3. I think this was 100% the strategy.  I've never seen some many 2 deep, cover 2 looks from Rex in a game.  Ever.

4. You win and lose games at the LOS.  I still believe thats true.  Granted, you need a QB to deliver the ball...I still think if all things ever (QB, RB, WR, D), the team the plays the best in the trenches wins.  And sometimes (like last night), the team with the lesser of the weaponz, wins by dominating the line.

Just like you were saying after the Titans game.

Winners & losers from Jets’ Week 5 victory: Questions at cornerback

By Brian CostelloOctober 8, 2013 | 3:43pm

The Jets upset the Falcons 30-28 with a dramatic last-second victory Monday night. Here are the winners and losers from the game:

WINNERS

GENO SMITH: That’s three game-winning, fourth-quarter drives from the rookie. Not bad. He played his best game of the season Monday night, and it’s hard to find any mistakes. He completed 80 percent of his passes and threw three touchdowns. The kid is not afraid of the big stage and showed it.

THE COACHES: This was a great job by Rex Ryan and his staff. Start with Ryan, who motivated the team with a speech Sunday night the players were all talking about after the game. Then, he designed a defensive plan that shut down the Falcons for most of the night.

Marty Mornhinweg called a brilliant game (how many times have we ever said that about a Jets OC?). He put Smith in the best positions to have an impact and did not ask too much of him. He mixed in the run at the right times and relied on tight end Jeff Cumberland with the injuries at wide receiver.

Special teams coordinator Ben Kotwica deserves a nod also for the way his units played with a blocked punt and a couple of big returns.

MUHAMMAD WILKERSON: If you don’t know, now you know. Wilkerson delivered a virtuoso performance on national television, cluing in the rest of the country to what Jets followers have known for two years — he’s for real. Wilkerson looks unblockable at times with a mix of speed and power that is rarely seen. He had a strip-sack and thwarted the Falcons’ rushing attempts his way.

LOSERS

DEE MILLINER: The rookie was not in Atlanta, and he has to be wondering how he’s going to get back on the field. Darrin Walls played much better in his second start. It’s going to be tough for Milliner to take that starting job away from him. Milliner is nursing a hamstring injury. Ryan always lauds Milliner’s toughness. He better show it and get back on the field.

ANTONIO CROMARTIE: I didn’t think Cromartie had a terrible game, but there are not a lot of “losers” candidates on the Jets after that performance. Cromartie just doesn’t look like himself. I’m not sure if the hip injury is still bothering him or what. He have up the 46-yard pass to Julio Jones in the fourth quarter when the Jets needed a stop. In all, Jones caught 8 passes for 99 yards. Not all of that was against Cromartie, but a good chunk was.

THE CRITICS: I’ll be the first in line to say I was wrong about this team and there are plenty of others behind me. Now, I’m not getting carried away like some people are today. The Jets still have a lot to prove to jump into the playoff conversation, but they are clearly much better than most of us gave them credit for. The defense has been great and the offense is so much better than I ever envisioned it could be. The Jets have thrived off proving their critics wrong and they’re doing a good job of it.

Winners & losers from Jets’ Week 5 victory: Questions at cornerback

By Brian CostelloOctober 8, 2013 | 3:43pm

THE CRITICS: I’ll be the first in line to say I was wrong about this team and there are plenty of others behind me. Now, I’m not getting carried away like some people are today. The Jets still have a lot to prove to jump into the playoff conversation, but they are clearly much better than most of us gave them credit for. The defense has been great and the offense is so much better than I ever envisioned it could be. The Jets have thrived off proving their critics wrong and they’re doing a good job of it.

There it is.  Props to Costello.  We put a smack on the Steelers next week and I would expect a few more of these to start showing up. 

Archived