Should Idzik try and deal for a receiver now?

T0mShane

Idzik try and deal for a receiver now   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should Idzik try and deal for a receiver now

• No, save the pick and let the season play out
    • Yes; Josh Gordon (for a 2)
    • Yes; Justin Blackmon (for a 2)
    • Yes; Kenny Britt (for a 4th+ conditional future pick)
    • Yes; Hakeem Nicks (for a third)
    • GFY T0mShane

I highly doubt Jacksonville deals Blackmon.  They already suck with him and have a great chance at ending up with the #1 pick.  If they use it on Bridgewater, he'll have some pretty good weapons with Blackmon and Shorts.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is a  WR the difference between the Jets making or not making the playoffs this year? Are any of the guys we could potentially trade for potentially capable of being Geno's #1 for the next 5-6 years or so?

Two most important questions to ask. I wouldnt be opposed to doing something. We still need receivers.

Britt and Nicks are both FA's after this season along with solid vets like Eric Decker, James Jones, Jeremy Maclin (played in Mornhinweg's offense), and Emmanuel Sanders. I'd rather just play the season out as is, sign one of those guys, and draft a guy on day 2 to develop behind the vet unless they've got a chance at a top tier guy early (or they sign a guy like Decker to a long-term deal, which frankly I don't think they will and I'm fine with that).

Is a  WR the difference between the Jets making or not making the playoffs this year? Are any of the guys we could potentially trade for potentially capable of being Geno's #1 for the next 5-6 years or so?

Two most important questions to ask. I wouldnt be opposed to doing something. We still need receivers.

Glad to see others feel the same damn way!

GFY T0m ran away with this poll

BTW  here is a list of 2014 FA WR's  wait, and lets see what Smith is going to do the rest of the way

Pos Player FA Status Previous Team Current Team

WR Danario Alexander UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

WR Anquan Boldin UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

WR Kenny BrittNew player news! UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

WR Andre Caldwell UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent

WR Terrance Copper UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent

WR Jerricho Cotchery UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

WR Victor Cruz UFA New York Giants Free Agent

WR Kris DurhamNew player news! RFA Detroit Lions Free Agent

WR Julian Edelman UFA New England Patriots Free Agent

WR Ted Ginn Jr. FFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent

WR Andrew Hawkins RFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent

WR Devin Hester UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent

WR Jacoby JonesNew player news! UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

WR James Jones UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent

WR Jeremy Maclin UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent

WR Mario ManninghamNew player news! UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

WR Marlon Moore UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

WR Joshua Morgan UFA Washington Redskins Free Agent

WR Santana Moss UFA Washington Redskins Free Agent

WR Louis MurphyNew player news! UFA New York Giants Free Agent

WR Hakeem NicksNew player news! UFA New York Giants Free Agent

WR Emmanuel Sanders UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

WR Brandon Tate UFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent

WR Kevin Walter

Glad to see others feel the same damn way!

LOL, wtf you talking about? 

You said you want a magical #1 WR burner possession receiver that a "desperate" team is willing to trade mid-season to stretch the field for Geno, who happens to lead the league in deep pass accuracy right now... essentially, you want something that doesn't exist, for a price that would never happen, to fill a need that doesn't exist.

Matt39 is basically saying OF THESE OPTIONS would any of them be long-term Jets that could contribute. He's not speaking in Madden, he's speaking in logic - don't trade away a draft pick unless you get a long-term contributor. None of the guys in this poll represent that promise because they are either on the backside of their career (Britt, Nicks) or they are 1 strike away from suspension (Britt, Blackmon, Gordon).

Nicks is off my board simply because he's a free agent and will be looking for bigger money than his health is worth. Britt is off it as well for the asking price, simply because he's not only a free agent, but is chronically injured and is a pain in the ass; I'd go as high as a conditional 7th. Gordon for a second is off as well, but that has nothing to do with talent; I love the idea of having him on a rookie contract and it's because  of that contract that I'd probably be willing to take the risk on him getting suspended, as we wouldn't be losing out on a big time deal.  So I'd go as high as a conditional 4th for him. 

Justin Blackmon is the only player that I would take for the listed price, although I doubt they'd accept that.  I only say this, because I think that highly of him; if he stays out of trouble, he's the next Dez Bryant and will be routinely putting up 1000+ yards and 8+tds, pretty much regardless of QB play.  He's the exact type of receiver I've always wanted the Jets to grab and is someone that will succeed with pretty much any QB.  Him, Hill, Kerley, Cumberland and say ASJ with our first would be an absolutely phenomenal group of receivers for Geno to work with.  

As to the issue of the poll, you people saying that we need to "build through the draft" are trolling yourselves. All the receivers I listed are 25 years old and younger, and have all shown the ability to take over games. There are no receivers you'll draft in the second round or later that you can say right now are better prospects than the guys I listed, so spending a pick on them doesn't cost you any more than drafting a 22 year old prospect that you simply hope becomes better than the player you'd trade for. Similarly, you can't argue that a Watkins or a Lee won't enter the league, cash their first seven-digit check, and decide that they want to be Lil' Wayne off the field, so pointing to the behavioral issues is a toss-up at best. Next to CB, wide receivers are the most narcissistic group of psychotics that exist in the game. Literally the only drawback to trading for one of these guys is that you'll have to give them their second contracts sooner, assuming they play well enough to earn another deal.

Nicks is off my board simply because he's a free agent and will be looking for bigger money than his health is worth. Britt is off it as well for the asking price, simply because he's not only a free agent, but is chronically injured and is a pain in the ass; I'd go as high as a conditional 7th. Gordon for a second is off as well, but that has nothing to do with talent; I love the idea of having him on a rookie contract and it's because of that contract that I'd probably be willing to take the risk on him getting suspended, as we wouldn't be losing out on a big time deal. So I'd go as high as a conditional 4th for him.

Justin Blackmon is the only player that I would take for the listed price, although I doubt they'd accept that. I only say this, because I think that highly of him; if he stays out of trouble, he's the next Dez Bryant and will be routinely putting up 1000+ yards and 8+tds, pretty much regardless of QB play. He's the exact type of receiver I've always wanted the Jets to grab and is someone that will succeed with pretty much any QB. Him, Hill, Kerley, Cumberland and say ASJ with our first would be an absolutely phenomenal group of receivers for Geno to work with.

These are my thoughts, too. I wouldn't take Nicks because he's perpetually injured, and I'd avoid Britt because I think he's straight-up insane. I'd aim for Blackmon first because I think he's a machine (albeit a machine with a drinking problem), and I'd put Gordon as a close second because I think he's got more meltdown potential.

As to the issue of the poll, you people saying that we need to "build through the draft" are trolling yourselves. All the receivers I listed are 25 years old and younger, and have all shown the ability to take over games. There are no receivers you'll draft in the second round or later that you can say right now are better prospects than the guys I listed, so spending a pick on them doesn't cost you any more than drafting a 22 year old prospect that you simply hope becomes better than the player you'd trade for. Similarly, you can't argue that a Watkins or a Lee won't enter the league, cash their first seven-digit check, and decide that they want to be Lil' Wayne off the field, so pointing to the behavioral issues is a toss-up at best. Next to CB, wide receivers are the most narcissistic group of psychotics that exist in the game. Literally the only drawback to trading for one of these guys is that you'll have to give them their second contracts sooner, assuming they play well enough to earn another deal.

But is it worth trading a draft pick, when we can wait for the end of the season and pick one up in free agency? 3-2 doesn't mean this still isnt a throwaway/rebuilding year.

But is it worth trading a draft pick, when we can wait for the end of the season and pick one up in free agency? 3-2 doesn't mean this still isnt a throwaway/rebuilding year.

You can get Britt or Nicks in free agency, but you'd have to wait for Blackmon and Gordon. The list of receivers available in free agency is puke-worthy.

You can get Britt or Nicks in free agency, but you'd have to wait for Blackmon and Gordon. The list of receivers available in free agency is puke-worthy.

Looking at your options, Gordon for a two may be possible, but no way are you getting Blackmon for a 2.  I wouldnt give higher than a 4th for Nicks. He is a free agent and has a question mark on his health, but wouldnt mind him for the right price in FA. I'd offer to pay Britt's lawyer fees and that is about it for him.

These are my thoughts, too. I wouldn't take Nicks because he's perpetually injured, and I'd avoid Britt because I think he's straight-up insane. I'd aim for Blackmon first because I think he's a machine (albeit a machine with a drinking problem), and I'd put Gordon as a close second because I think he's got more meltdown potential.

I can deal with an athlete having a drinking problem, so long as he doesn't beat anyone up, shoot himself or anyone else and doesn't drive afterwards; the latter Blackmon's been arrested twice for. The only way I trade for Blackmon is if he agrees to have a Dez Bryant like staff around him 24 hours a day to make sure he doesn't drive his ass home.   For a reason that I can't explain, I just trust Gordon less and feel he'd be the first to f*ck up and make you regret the trade.  I only make the trade for Blackmon because the guy reminds me so much of TO  and now Dez, if his problems are able to be corralled, then he's going to be an absolute star. 

Free agency the only name I really like is Maclin; if he comes back from injury okay, he won't command a big contract and he's very talented. Mario Manningham is another name that could be a good reliable third receiver if need be, however, I'd just assume look to the draft to fill up some of those spots. Myfour favorite are pretty chalk; Mike Evans, Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins and Jordan Matthews (I hate being a prisoner of the moment, but Mike Evans might become my new favorite of the group. just reminds a lot of Vjax).   My homer pick for receiver/returner would be Odell Beckham Jr. outta LSU; the kid can make every catch you want, has plenty of speed and we certainly could use a home-run threat in the return game.

Nicks for a 3rd would be hard to pass up.

While he becomes a free agent at the end of the year, a contract extension could be more agreeable on our end, than the bidding war he's likely to induce.  His not needing to relocate, while playing for a possible contender might be enough motivation to meet us in the middle. 

Another thing to consider, Tampa Bay's horrific performance means we'll be (very likely) getting a high pick in the third round, so trading our (hopefully late) 3rd round pick for Nicks, a former 1st round pick would be pennies on the dollar for a player of his caliber.  

I think you'd almost certainly be better off waiting.

There's no urgency in getting a WR for us. Especially as it's normally a position which takes a while to take off in a new system with a new QB. If there was an obviously good long term deal in front of us then sure I'd go for it, but for any sort of one year rental - I see no rush. We're coming in to the toughest part of our schedule, it's not the time to be working players into the team. Holmes is coming back anyways and will be a boost on the field, regardless of what he is off of it. 

The bottom line is this is still not a "win now" year. To me the 3 priorities have been for Geno to develop, that we play enough to allow Rex another year and to finish ahead of the f*cking Dolphins. I like our chances of those 3 with or without a big name addition at WR. I'd rather leave it be and then invest heavily in the off-season in putting the best possible team around Geno. 

That is my reservation to this idea in a nutshell. The second contract on a good free agent can be significantly more than their rookie deal. So by trading a high pick for them, we actually lose a few years of production at the rookie rate. Because of that, now you are out the traded pick AND you're back at the draft using more picks on receivers, OR you're trading again, two years too early. Only way around that is by paying up to the free agent. I don't think paying up is the new GM's plan. I hate using the Steelers as an example, however, look at all the homegrown receiver talent thru that club in the last decade- Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown. You know their fates, one retired and the last pick is still with the club. I would rather trade for a harder position if necessary.

Justin Blackmon caught 14 passes for 190 yards in the Jaguars' Week 6 loss to the Broncos.

The lone bright spot for Jacksonville's Week 6 offense, Blackmon was physically dominant on the field against Denver. He routinely overpowered the Broncos' inside coverage on slants and slot routes, also benefiting in the box score from Cecil Shorts' first-quarter shoulder injury. Shorts never returned, hinting at a significant ailment. Look for Blackmon to rack up targets the rest of the way. There aren't 15 fantasy receivers we'd take over Blackmon over the final 11 weeks of the season.

Archived