Woody Johnson doesn't take bait, won't commit to Rex beyond this year.

T0mShane

Woody not ready to commit to Rex next season

By Bart Hubbuch

October 8, 2013 | 10:02pm

WASHINGTON — Woody Johnson still won’t commit to bringing back Rex Ryan next season, but the Jets owner gave his coach a ringing endorsement Tuesday for the job Ryan is doing this year.

Fresh off Monday night’s thrilling, 30-28 road victory over the Falcons, Johnson told The Post at the end of the NFL’s annual fall meetings that Ryan has done “a fantastic job” getting a 3-2 record so far out of a team with a rookie quarterback in Geno Smith and that many expected to do nothing in 2013.

“He’s getting the most out of the team and his coaches,” Johnson said in an exclusive interview.

“He had the team very well prepared [Monday] night, he had a good gameplan with a rookie quarterback, and he’s getting the wins.”

Ryan is in the penultimate year of his contract with a new boss in first-year general manager John Idzik, a combination that is usually the kiss of death for a coach’s job security.

But though Johnson refused comment when asked if Ryan would be his coach in 2014, the Gang Green boss — still admittedly riding the emotional high of Monday night’s last-second victory — made Ryan come off as anything but a lame duck.

“It’s been an excellent effort [from Ryan] so far,” Johnson said.

Even so, Johnson sounded like he is taking a wait-and-see approach in terms of a contract extension for Ryan.

Coaches rarely choose to enter the last year of their contract without demanding an extension because the uncertainty can lessen the respect from the locker room and make it difficult to hire coaches or lure free agents.

Ryan has said little about his contract situation, in large part because he has little leverage after missing the playoffs the past two years. Johnson, meanwhile, told The Post his policy is to make contract talk off-limits — at least publicly — while games are being played.

“We don’t make any statements like that during the season,” Johnson said. “I’m looking at practice tomorrow. That’s as far as I go.”

Interestingly, Johnson was muted when asked by The Post to assess Idzik’s performance, even though the new GM appears to have hit a home run so far with Smith and first-round pick Sheldon Richardson.

“He’s doing a good job, but it’s week-to-week,” Johnson said of Idzik. “We’re focused on the Steelers [on Sunday at MetLife Stadium].”

The setting for Johnson’s comments yesterday was particularly ironic, because he made them while normally talkative Giants co-owner John Mara walked past after refusing comment to a Post reporter about Big Blue’s shocking 0-5 start.

Asked if he had a moment to speak, Mara said: “No.”

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly sounds as if Woody is hoping that Rex gives him enough reason to keep him around, I certainly believe that's what he wants to do. He genuinely seems to love the guy, so if Rex does enough, he stats.  However, if the team implodes and falls flat, then I also feel Woody will pull the plug if necessary.  

If they fire Rex, do they tell the new coach that he has to keep MM? Giving Geno a new OC each of his first two years will not help him develop. It would be back to SOJ. That is, assuming that it's determined that Geno will be next year's starter.

Yes, most likely.

The Jets never fully gut things, they trim out 80-90% and then keep one polarizing piece in place and force it upon the next regime - thus limiting their hiring options and ensuring that we have a lower ceiling on the next rebuild's potential.

My mind changes on Rex daily.

The one thing I'm firm on is, you evaluate Rex at the end of this season - and you evaluate him on what he did this year, AS WELL as what he's done in previous years.

If he has the right pieces in place now from a staff standpoint, and is learning how to hold a locker room accountable and be a true coach, and the quality of his game planning and game day coaching shows real improvement, I would think you consider keeping him. If Mornhinweg were to ever leave, we would need to secure a new OC because I believe he is a central piece of this year's success.

My mind changes on Rex daily. 

The one thing I'm firm on is, you evaluate Rex at the end of this season - and you evaluate him on what he did this year, AS WELL as what he's done in previous years.

Exactly.  I'm not as down on Rex as some, but it's been only 5 weeks, there's absolutely no reason Woody should commit to Rex at this point under any reason.  If firing him after this season has ever been a consideration, you don't let one or two games change that.  There's still a whole lot of time left to go, and you never know what can happen.  Hell, do you think Woody had given any consideration to firing Mangini in week 5 of 2008?

If they fire Rex, do they tell the new coach that he has to keep MM? Giving Geno a new OC each of his first two years will not help him develop. It would be back to SOJ. That is, assuming that it's determined that Geno will be next year's starter.

Mornhinweg is from a giant Walsh-Holmgren-Reid coaching tree--one that Idzik had been around in Seattle. If he wanted to fire Rex, but keep Mornhinweg, he'll be able to find a coach that employs relatively the same offensive philosophy.

Meh. If he started off at 40/60 to return, he dropped to 25/75 to return last week and is probably back at 40/60 today.

That's pretty much how I feel.

The Falcons were a +1 for Rex, but the loss to the Patriots and Tennessee were -2. The Bills are neutral. The Tampa game was pure luck, they should have beaten us, at best I give it a neutral, but could be convinced to make it a -1.

Putting Rex at -2 on the season, so far.

The Falcons game almost got blown too... I think people are getting ahead of themselves tbh. That Falcons team is not last year's team. They are hurt ALL OVER the defense, the O-line and at all the skill positions. The healthiest guys they have are Matty Ice and Gonzo, and those 2 almost beat TEH VAUNTUD DEFENZ us on their own.

If he has the right pieces in place now from a staff standpoint, and is learning how to hold a locker room accountable and be a true coach, and the quality of his game planning and game day coaching shows real improvement, I would think you consider keeping him. If Mornhinweg were to ever leave, we would need to secure a new OC because I believe he is a central piece of this year's success.

I think luck as been a central piece of this year's success. Much the same way that the Patriots 4 wins have been partially due to them playing 2 rookie QBs, a dumped on Josh Freeman, and a completely injured Falcons team in 4 of their first games... we have benefited similarly. The Bills we beat down. The Bucs we lucked past, and we were lucky that the Falcons are decimated by injury - if not, they clobber us.

Exactly.  I'm not as down on Rex as some, but it's been only 5 weeks, there's absolutely no reason Woody should commit to Rex at this point under any reason.  If firing him after this season has ever been a consideration, you don't let one or two games change that.  There's still a whole lot of time left to go, and you never know what can happen.  Hell, do you think Woody had given any consideration to firing Mangini in week 5 of 2008?

Bingo.

That's pretty much how I feel.

The Falcons were a +1 for Rex, but the loss to the Patriots and Tennessee were -2. The Bills are neutral. The Tampa game was pure luck, they should have beaten us, at best I give it a neutral, but could be convinced to make it a -1.

Putting Rex at -2 on the season, so far.

The Falcons game almost got blown too... I think people are getting ahead of themselves tbh. That Falcons team is not last year's team. They are hurt ALL OVER the defense, the O-line and at all the skill positions. The healthiest guys they have are Matty Ice and Gonzo, and those 2 almost beat TEH VAUNTUD DEFENZ us on their own.

Word, but I can't discount the Falcons win. The Jets had no business showing up and competing in that game regardless of how screwed the Falcons are, but you're right that Matt Ryan, like Josh Freeman and EJ Manuel before him, had no problem shredding the defense when it counted, and that defense had no answer for Jake Locker. They're being overrated because of stats.

Word, but I can't discount the Falcons win. The Jets had no business showing up and competing in that game regardless of how screwed the Falcons are, but you're right that Matt Ryan, like Josh Freeman and EJ Manuel before him, had no problem shredding the defense when it counted, and that defense had no answer for Jake Locker. They're being overrated because of stats.

Don't get me wrong, a win is a win and I'm not discrediting it - old Jets teams would have rolled over after losing the lead.

All I'm saying is: we didn't just beat a SB contender, thus a single victory vs. them doesn't justify a contract extension.

Our defense scares the crap out of me... more specifically, our secondary.

Don't get me wrong, a win is a win and I'm not discrediting it - old Jets teams would have rolled over after losing the lead.

All I'm saying is: we didn't just beat a SB contender, thus a single victory vs. them doesn't justify a contract extension.

Our defense scares the crap out of me... more specifically, our secondary.

This

its to hard to tell now...its really coming down to a legit playoff run or not....plus a clear promise of another one next season then I think he stays....but if we dont get in playoffs or get in playoffs on some luck wildcard bullsht and are outed on the first game then he dunski....even having a losing season and finishing on a positive note I dnt think will help Rex come back next year.  

For now, Woody should just focus on having Rex keeping that damn red flag in his pocket

He started off as 40/60, you expected the team to be 3-13 to 6-10 and they are 3-2 and you think it's a push?  GTFO.  They should wait until the end and judge the season as a whole but Shane and the Ape's analysis is complete sh*t.  Tampa could be a -1 cause they shouldn't have won, but playing the Pats  that tough on the road is a -1?  Ridiculous. They'd be tied for a wild card spot if the season ended today.  If everybody went on strike today, you'd keep him unless your mind was made up before the season. 

He started off as 40/60, you expected the team to be 3-13 to 6-10 and they are 3-2 and you think it's a push?  GTFO.  They should wait until the end and judge the season as a whole but Shane and the Ape's analysis is complete sh*t.  Tampa could be a -1 cause they shouldn't have won, but playing the Pats  that tough on the road is a -1?  Ridiculous. They'd be tied for a wild card spot if the season ended today.  If everybody went on strike today, you'd keep him unless your mind was made up before the season. 

You realize that we won in Atlanta in spite of the defense (save for that awesome 10 minute red zone stand, and the end of game redzone stand that got the BS holding call on Demario Davis)... Integrity28 revists a great point, that the secondary is pretty awful. They cannot catch a THING. NADA.  Defense is Rex' calling card, why does he neglect the secondary? We haven't had a real safety in Rex's entire tenure.

I find it funny how up until 8:30 Monday night, you all said we had no chance to beat Atlanta.  After we win, "BUT TEH FALCONZ HAS INJURIES!!!"  

It must be fun being able to change the rules as you go along.

Oh and BTW, firing a coach who is winning with a roster as weak as ours would be the height of stupidity. The defense is playing very well, and the rookie QB is showing improvement. What more do you want from the guy?  I don't care about things he says during pressers.  I don't care about his predictions or smack talk.  I care about winning.  And right now he's doing that.  And he's doing it with a roster that everyone thought was one of the worst in the league, not to mention a rookie QB.  Pretty goddamned impressive, if you ask me.

Woody being non-committal on Rex means nothing at this point.  He said it himself: "We don't discuss contracts during the season."  Why would say anything either way about Rex's future then?

You realize that we won in Atlanta in spite of the defense (save for that awesome 10 minute red zone stand, and the end of game redzone stand that got the BS holding call on Demario Davis)... Integrity28 revists a great point, that the secondary is pretty awful. They cannot catch a THING. NADA.  Defense is Rex' calling card, why does he neglect the secondary? We haven't had a real safety in Rex's entire tenure.

I realize that you all said this was a 3-6 win team that has 3 wins with the season barely a quarter over.  As you geniuses never fail to remind me the head coach coaches the entire team and as that fat under belt bellied tuna says: You are what your record says you are.  I don't give a **** about the secondary.  Just win baby. 

IMO not much as changed,  Woody likes Rex and wants to bring him back but he and Idzik have plan to evaluate at season's end.  At least with Rex the team has an identity on defense.  That's better than many teams in the NFL.  The Ape gave out points and this is probably one method to evaluate.  Agree most but I'd argue he earned points for the Atlanta game and the New England game.  My reasoning:  National spotlight games.  I know we like to argue it's all about winning and ultimately it is but one of the biggest disappointment from the past season was the uncompetitive games under the glare of national spotlight.  We lost and lost in ridiculous fashion.  That takes a toll on the fans and the owner.  Ultimately, we want a team we're proud of.  So far I like what I see.  Rex is coaching for his job, players are competing for jobs.  Definitely a sense of urgency.  Still expect a bumpy ride with Geno but so far I like how Rex and Marty have encouraged him to play "fearless".  Totally the opposite approach they took with Sanchez and I'm glad they've at least fixed that.  Not sure Rex needs to make the playoffs to return but the team needs to scrap the entire season to have a chance.  I'm rooting for him.

He started off as 40/60, you expected the team to be 3-13 to 6-10 and they are 3-2 and you think it's a push? GTFO. They should wait until the end and judge the season as a whole but Shane and the Ape's analysis is complete sh*t. Tampa could be a -1 cause they shouldn't have won, but playing the Pats that tough on the road is a -1? Ridiculous. They'd be tied for a wild card spot if the season ended today. If everybody went on strike today, you'd keep him unless your mind was made up before the season.

I picked them to finish 7-9, you jackalope. It's only you thin-skinned fruitcakes who took the 2-14 predictions seriously.

I realize that you all said this was a 3-6 win team that has 3 wins with the season barely a quarter over. As you geniuses never fail to remind me the head coach coaches the entire team and as that fat under belt bellied tuna says: You are what your record says you are. I don't give a **** about the secondary. Just win baby.

The GM who thinks this way is dead in the water.

I realize that you all said this was a 3-6 win team that has 3 wins with the season barely a quarter over.  As you geniuses never fail to remind me the head coach coaches the entire team and as that fat under belt bellied tuna says: You are what your record says you are.  I don't give a **** about the secondary.  Just win baby. 

I've got the Jets 18:1 as of August 1, to win the AFCE, so I wasn't in that crowd.

post-19579-0-92774500-1381333635_thumb.j

I picked them to finish 7-9, you jackalope. It's only you thin-skinned fruitcakes who took the 2-14 predictions seriously.

You aren't the only person I was responding to.  I thought you were a 6-10 guy, but in any event 9-7 is considerably better than 7-9.

The GM who thinks this way is dead in the water.

I realized that I didn't understand you post.  You want me to think like a GM?  The D is not worse than the statistics.  The rules are.  I have seen tons of good to great defenses steam rolled because of this.  Complaining about a secondary when you traded an all-time great CB, let both safeties walk and signed one aging stiff to replace them is kind of lame.  Yes they drafted Milliner, has he played?  Rex is putting these guys in a position to succeed.  I have seen more dropped pick 6's than WRs running wide open. 

As much as I like Rex, If we don't make the playoffs, I doubt he will be back next year. I think he should be, but my gut tells me Idzik will want to bring in his own guy. 

I think if he goes 7-9 or better with the roster he has and Geno's development hasn't been curbed, he stays.

You aren't the only person I was responding to. I thought you were a 6-10 guy, but in any event 9-7 is considerably better than 7-9.

I realized that I didn't understand you post. You want me to think like a GM? The D is not worse than the statistics. The rules are. I have seen tons of good to great defenses steam rolled because of this. Complaining about a secondary when you traded an all-time great CB, let both safeties walk and signed one aging stiff to replace them is kind of lame. Yes they drafted Milliner, has he played? Rex is putting these guys in a position to succeed. I have seen more dropped pick 6's than WRs running wide open.

So you're saying that great defense is irrelevant because of the rules? Then Rex has no place in the league. I think Idzik knows what he's going to do with Rex at the end of the season, and he's going to closely scrutinize his performance on a week to week basis. It's fantastic that we're 3-2--we haven't had a week like this one in three years--but I don't think any sane person thinks that Rex has saved his job at this point. He just hasn't lost it yet, which is a great credit to him and Mornhinweg and Geno Christ Superstar.

In fairness after almost every big win of thw Wrecks Error, the Jets crap the bed next game. Very similar to Herman Edwards, there has been a demostrable inability to build on big wins. Like Herman get the sense every big win gives Wrecks the idea that it's time to hold a Thankgiving Day parade in his honor to celebrate  at the expense  of preparing.

In fairness after almost every big win of thw Wrecks Error, the Jets crap the bed next game. Very similar to Herman Edwards, there has been a demostrable inability to build on big wins. Like Herman get the sense every big win gives Wrecks the idea that it's time to hold a Thankgiving Day parade in his honor to celebrate  at the expense  of preparing.

It's definitely concerning. It retrospect, beating an Atlanta team isnt that big of a deal with them being an out of conference opponent. The goal line stand at halftime...I mean relax Rex. The Jets throughout history have been a terrible team as a favorite. Using the everyone against you mentality works obviously, but it means nothing if you cant get yourself up when everyone is with you. The press conference after the game looked like they were spraying champagne in the locker room.

Could absolutely see the team coming out flat Sunday. That's on Rex to make sure it doesnt happen. The crowd should be geeked up at least.

So you're saying that great defense is irrelevant because of the rules? Then Rex has no place in the league. I think Idzik knows what he's going to do with Rex at the end of the season, and he's going to closely scrutinize his performance on a week to week basis. It's fantastic that we're 3-2--we haven't had a week like this one in three years--but I don't think any sane person thinks that Rex has saved his job at this point. He just hasn't lost it yet, which is a great credit to him and Mornhinweg and Geno Christ Superstar.

No.  I am saying that even a great defense will have trouble stopping teams.  A defense that isn't great will let a rookie QB with NO WRs walk down the field and kick a field goal in 1:54.  Hell the Jets about 40 seconds to spare when they got into FG range.  That is what a lesser defense looks like.  

Like when they played the Pats after beating the Colts in the playoffs?  Like when they beat the Chargers after they smoked the Bengals in '09?

No.  I am saying that even a great defense will have trouble stopping teams.  A defense that isn't great will let a rookie QB with NO WRs walk down the field and kick a field goal in 1:54.  Hell the Jets about 40 seconds to spare when they got into FG range.  That is what a lesser defense looks like.  

Like when they played the Pats after beating the Colts in the playoffs?  Like when they beat the Chargers after they smoked the Bengals in '09?

Both underdog games. The Steelers game went 50-50, Rex even said he didnt use the no one respects us angle for that game.

Archived