Woody Johnson doesn't take bait, won't commit to Rex beyond this year.

T0mShane

Why -2 and not -5? They are 0-5 like the Giants, NO? This is so freaking unbelievable not only is so damn hard to win a game in the NFL but also to think that this same Jets with their lack of talents and a rookie QB were ranked 32 out of 32 by ESPN. They were also given only 3 wins the whole year which they had already match.

Rex so far exceeded expectation.

Whu?

You have your standards and expectations, I have mine.

There has to be a basis for evaluation beyond 'ESPN and Zmsnish said we'd suck', this is mine. LOL

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, the guy I am not getting rid nof any time soon is Morningwheg. Clear this guy is very good despite what ever the hell happened with the Lions and his breakup with Andy Reid.

3 wins does not a season make. We might be having a very different conversation if the Jets had pulled out a winnable game in Foxboro.That did not happen.

The GM and ownership is entitled to review the HC at the end of the year. Again would suggest fans and the team ought to hold off on any parades of self-congratulation until this season is complete. Some of the "Wrecks is wonderful" posts above read like Steve Serby columns written on mesc.The guy has been given a lifeline with a real OC. That's it for now.

My mind changes on Rex daily. 

The one thing I'm firm on is, you evaluate Rex at the end of this season - and you evaluate him on what he did this year, AS WELL as what he's done in previous years.

I am in full agreement.  I would like to see the D tighten up a bit in the 4th quarter but man, Marty ball is much more exciting to watch than what has passed for O the last several years.

Look, the guy I am not getting rid nof any time soon is Morningwheg. Clear this guy is very good despite what ever the hell happened with the Lions and his breakup with Andy Reid.

3 wins does not a season make. We might be having a very different conversation if the Jets had pulled out a winnable game in Foxboro.That did not happen.

The GM and ownership is entitled to review the HC at the end of the year. Again would suggest fans and the team ought to hold off on any parades of self-congratulation until this season is complete. Some of the "Wrecks is wonderful" posts above read like Steve Serby columns written on mesc.The guy has been given a lifeline with a real OC. That's it for now.

There's nothing wrong with HC's deferring to their assistants.  A good QB/OC combo has always been something that would be essential to this team, and we JUST might have it now.  But more important is the QB.  If Geno's solid he'll be able to operate in just about any system.

That being said I have no delusions that we'll beat BOTH the Steelers and Pats, particularly at home.  But if we do win one of those games, 4-3 sounds like a pretty awesome start.  Would anyone have taken one look at the schedule at the start of the year and thought that was possible?  Nope.  No parades yet, just an enjoyable present reality; 3-2 feels nice.  There shouldn't really be much talk about firing Rex right now. 

As much as T0mShane wants to put his fingers in his ears on this one, Idzik has no reason to be running into Woody's office demanding to get rid of him.  If we fall apart the rest of the year?  Absolutely.  But things aren't really looking like they're headed in that direction.  We look more like a "1 step back then 2 steps forward" type of team.  We're the 2nd youngest team in the NFL and are trending upward. 

As much as T0mShane wants to put his fingers in his ears on this one, Idzik has no reason to be running into Woody's office demanding to get rid of him. If we fall apart the rest of the year? Absolutely. But things aren't really looking like they're headed in that direction. We look more like a "1 step back then 2 steps forward" type of team. We're the 2nd youngest team in the NFL and are trending upward.

They got blown out by the Titans last week and won this week. Are you aware of what a "trend" is?

They got blown out by the Titans last week and won this week. Are you aware of what a "trend" is?

Week 1:  Upset Tampa Bay (2 steps forward)

Week 2:  Lost close game to Pats (1 step back)

Week 3:  Beat Bills (2 steps forward)

Week 4:  Blown out by Titans (giant leap backwards)

Week 5:  Upset Falcons (giant leap forward)

So you're basing your entire criticism of Rex on the Titans game, and choose to ignore the other 4 games where, for the most part, we played quite well.  Cool.

Week 1: Upset Tampa Bay (2 steps forward)

Week 2: Lost close game to Pats (1 step back)

Week 3: Beat Bills (2 steps forward)

Week 4: Blown out by Titans (giant leap backwards)

Week 5: Upset Falcons (giant leap forward)

So you're basing your entire criticism of Rex on the Titans game, and choose to ignore the other 4 games where, for the most part, we played quite well. Cool.

No, I just don't think it makes sense to evaluate an NFL season using the same method you'd use to teach the hokey-pokey to six year olds.

No, I just don't think it makes sense to evaluate an NFL season using the same method you'd use to teach the hokey-pokey to six year olds.

So evaluate the overall season then.  You're choosing to only look at the negatives.  We had no business being 3-2 at this point, however we got there, yet here we are.  What is it that fails to make you happy about the results and optimistic about what's ahead? 

What we have seen with Rex Ryan this year is a mirror of what we have seen the prior 4 years-extreme swings, even game to game of heightened performance, followed by garbage performance.

This team coached under Ryan is like a manic on acid. 

I find it highly questionable that RR can ever lead a team to a sustained march of consecutive games of peak performance, as is required in the playoffs, and ultimately to win a SB. 

rex had that opportunity 3 years ago with a winnable game in the AFCCG in Pittsburgh. It could be argued that this team was the best team. It certainly6 had the most momentum. But they spit away that opportunity, pretending the NE win was the SB.

It is the same we have seen with Rex throughout his years. Extreme highs, extreme lows, but very few consistent streaks to get to the ultimate goal.

If they fire Rex, do they tell the new coach that he has to keep MM? Giving Geno a new OC each of his first two years will not help him develop. It would be back to SOJ. That is, assuming that it's determined that Geno will be next year's starter.

That is certainly a problem. I would assume the Jets would want the new guy to keep Mornhinweg but if Rex can coax eight or more wins out of this team, even I would welcome him back. I think he has some serious flaws as a HC, but if the team plays hard (and well) for the guy what can I say? Rex seems to be able to get the players to play well from an underdog position. If they win a few they will lose that distinction and we'll see if Rex can coax max emotion from a team expected to win.

"I find it highly questionable that RR can ever lead a team to a sustained march of consecutive games of peak performance, as is required in the playoffs, and ultimately to win a SB. 

rex had that opportunity 3 years ago with a winnable game in the AFCCG in Pittsburgh. It could be argued that this team was the best team. It certainly6 had the most momentum. But they spit away that opportunity, pretending the NE win was the SB".  - Scott Dierking.

That is exactly my point Dierking. The Jets went into the NE playoff game as huge underdogs and when they won they went into Pittsburgh as almost an even bet. Rex can get underdogs to perform above expectations but when expectations are higher I'm not sure he has that kind of motivating power.

I find it highly questionable that RR can ever lead a team to a sustained march of consecutive games of peak performance, as is required in the playoffs, and ultimately to win a SB.

All it can take in this league sometimes is the QB getting hot.  Flacco is probably not a great QB, but for one postseason run, he threw 11 TD's and 0 INT's, and now John Harbaugh looks like a genius.  The defense played well but not spectacularly, but it didn't need to because the QB was the driving force, as it has been for every Super Bowl run in the last 6 years or so.

It's way too early to know if Geno might be the guy who can do that but he showed flashes on Monday night, albeit against a bad secondary, that maybe that ability to get hot when needed is in his repertoire.  Who knows.

Rex's problem in 2010 was that he drew up 2 awesome gameplans on D against the Colts and Pats, then when his gameplan crumbled against the Steelers due in part to some poor first-half tackling, we didn't have the offense (QB) to support the D.  Rex alone can't string together wins but with a real live NFL offense he might not have to.

All it can take in this league sometimes is the QB getting hot.  Flacco is probably not a great QB, but for one postseason run, he threw 11 TD's and 0 INT's, and now John Harbaugh looks like a genius.  The defense played well but not spectacularly, but it didn't need to because the QB was the driving force, as it has been for every Super Bowl run in the last 6 years or so.

It's way too early to know if Geno might be the guy who can do that but he showed flashes on Monday night, albeit against a bad secondary, that maybe that ability to get hot when needed is in his repertoire.  Who knows.

Rex's problem in 2010 was that he drew up 2 awesome gameplans on D against the Colts and Pats, then when his gameplan crumbled against the Steelers due in part to some poor first-half tackling, we didn't have the offense (QB) to support the D.  Rex alone can't string together wins but with a real live NFL offense he might not have to.

Everything you say about winning seems to point  at the QB as being the most important piece.

If that is the case, let's boot the inconsistent coach who we all admit has foibles, focus on that position and that side of the ball, and ensure it gets better. 

Let's not get all sentimental about a couple AFCCG losses.

Everything you say about winning seems to point  at the QB as being the most important piece.

If that is the case, let's boot the inconsistent coach who we all admit has foibles, focus on that position and that side of the ball, and ensure it gets better. 

Let's not get all sentimental about a couple AFCCG losses.

I think if you have a good QB and a pretty good defense you can win a title in this league.  You can't win if your defense is so awful that your QB doesn't matter.  It's why a Flacco won a Super Bowl rather than a Brees/Manning/Rodgers every year.  The Saints, Broncos and Packers at one time or another have all struggled when it counted lately and it hurt them.  But nor can you win a title with a QB who has no ability to "flip the switch".

Just look at the Saints currently.  They've got Brees at QB and Rob Ryan running the D and have never looked better.  They're the favorites out the NFC.  The Broncos, meanwhile, just have Peyton playing at another level even above guys like Brees, so they can afford a weaker defense.  But generally, to be a Super Bowl contender, you need both.  This is especially true if you don't have an all-world QB, but you CAN still win with him if he gets hot at the right time and your D plays reasonably well.

We have a defense that CAN shut a lot of teams down or at least put us in a position to win games.  What we've never had is a QB who can string together some really good games against other good teams.  That's been the missing piece for this team.  Sanchez found ways to lose even when the D gave up 10 points or less.  Your QB has to have a high ceiling and you just hope he puts it all together when the postseason comes around.  Hopefully Geno is that guy.

So evaluate the overall season then.  You're choosing to only look at the negatives.  We had no business being 3-2 at this point, however we got there, yet here we are.  What is it that fails to make you happy about the results and optimistic about what's ahead? 

No business based on the expectations set by the beat writers and critics... what are we selectively ignoring them now? 99% of the time they are know-nothing assholes, but when they say we won't get more than 4 wins, and we end up with 3 quick ones, they tons of stock is put into the writers words just so we can measure against their words to convince ourselves the glass is half full?

My point is we are only 5 games in to an easy schedule, evaluate later... after we see more results. If we start dropping games to losing teams, it will be telling. If we win the ones we should, and steal a couple more from winning teams we can with 5-8 more games, look at the schedule. 

So evaluate the overall season then. You're choosing to only look at the negatives. We had no business being 3-2 at this point, however we got there, yet here we are. What is it that fails to make you happy about the results and optimistic about what's ahead?

Context-free, here are the positives I perceive from the season so far:

1. Geno Smith can do awesome things in a professional, mature, non-emo manner and that gives me great hope for what he'll do for this team week-to-week and beyond. We have a quarterback.

2. John Idzik is an adult who has come in and purged the organization of general idiocy. Even at the lowest points of the last eight months, the organization hasn't come close to clown car antics of the previous administration. Idzik has Rex under control, he's got the media under control, and he's even got Woody under control. Players are getting cut and benched when they don't perform (regardless of who drafted them) and the early results on his draft picks--Richardson, Smith, and even Winters--is promising (with the caveat that Milliner has to get healthy). If Smith continues to show he can play at a high level, Idzik will have done something that hasn't been done here in 40 years: deliver a plus-level quarterback.

3. Mo Wilkerson has become an elite-level player as a 3-4 DE.

4. No Holmes, No Sanchez, No Ducasse.

5. It's been nice to see an under-control Rex. Wherever you fall on the love/hate Rex scale, it's encouraging watching him tone down the clown-shoes act.

EJ Manuel went down the field in the fourth quarter against this great defense to tie the game. He's a rookie. Josh Freeman went down the field to take the lead against this great defense then was cut three weeks later. I'm not sure how comparing Rex's supposedly great defense to Mike Smith's supposedly sh*tty defense helps Rex considering Rex's defense has habitually done the same thing this season.

I did not say they were great, but I think they will end the season at least in the very good range.  You can argue how good the defense is, but are they going to be even this good with any other coach? 

Baltimore's defense did not suffer when Ryan went away.

Uhh yes it did.  Remember when the Ravens nearly beat the 2007 undefeated Pats with Kyle Boller as their QB?  Yeah.  That defense carried things when Rex was there.  They went to the AFC Title game with Flacco as a rookie (sound familiar?).  Then after Rex left, the balance shifted towards the Ravens becoming an offense-first team (much like the rest of the league).

In last year's Super Bowl run, the defense did well, but Flacco's 11 TD's and 0 INT's was the top factor. 

Uhh yes it did.  Remember when the Ravens nearly beat the 2007 undefeated Pats with Kyle Boller as their QB?  Yeah.

In last year's Super Bowl run, the defense did well, but Flacco's 11 TD's and 0 INT's was the top factor. 

They did not suffer in rankings, which Rex is so proud to pound his chest about. 

To compare a Ravens defense that Rex had, and one 4 year's later is quite a stretch. Turnover of players is quite dramatic during that time. You would have to look at the first 2 years that Rex went away, in order for direct, best comparison. They did not suffer due to a loss of Rex

Context-free, here are the positives I perceive from the season so far:

1. Geno Smith can do awesome things in a professional, mature, non-emo manner and that gives me great hope for what he'll do for this team week-to-week and beyond. We have a quarterback.

2. John Idzik is an adult who has come in and purged the organization of general idiocy. Even at the lowest points of the last eight months, the organization hasn't come close to clown car antics of the previous administration. Idzik has Rex under control, he's got the media under control, and he's even got Woody under control. Players are getting cut and benched when they don't perform (regardless of who drafted them) and the early results on his draft picks--Richardson, Smith, and even Winters--is promising (with the caveat that Milliner has to get healthy). If Smith continues to show he can play at a high level, Idzik will have done something that hasn't been done here in 40 years: deliver a plus-level quarterback.

3. Mo Wilkerson has become an elite-level player as a 3-4 DE.

4. No Holmes, No Sanchez, No Ducasse.

5. It's been nice to see an under-control Rex. Wherever you fall on the love/hate Rex scale, it's encouraging watching him tone down the clown-shoes act.

Nice.

They did not suffer in rankings, which Rex is so proud to pound his chest about. 

To compare a Ravens defense that Rex had, and one 4 year's later is quite a stretch. Turnover of players is quite dramatic during that time. You would have to look at the first 2 years that Rex went away, in order for direct, best comparison. They did not suffer due to a loss of Rex

OK you're right.  I checked the FootballOutsiders rankings and the D was Top 6 every year in Defensive Efficiency from 2005 to 2011.  Only last year did we see a slip (22nd).

Uhh yes it did. Remember when the Ravens nearly beat the 2007 undefeated Pats with Kyle Boller as their QB? Yeah. That defense carried things when Rex was there. They went to the AFC Title game with Flacco as a rookie (sound familiar?). Then after Rex left, the balance shifted towards the Ravens becoming an offense-first team (much like the rest of the league).

Alllll the derp.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/?mobile=false

I can't imagine what your wrath will be once Idzik ultimately breaks your man-crushed heart. Should be pretty epic, though.

Archived