David Garrard Is Back

Maxman

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if his knee holds up. Love how he had time to heal and is better now that the Jets look good.

I think his knees will hold up just fine enough to get in there in case something happens to Geno.  This is probably Garrard sitting at home knowing that his knees can't hold up for 16 games, but now that he knows they don't have to he can collect a paycheck and mentor Geno and provide a better backup and spot start if need be.  I also think this tells everyone all they need to know about the Jets realistically thinking of starting Simms.

Wow, definitely surprising.  I'm guessing they use the whole exemption time to get away with having an extra guy, especially since he's still allowed to practice during that time, and then send Quinn packing and active Garrard at that time.  He probably won't even pass Simms on the depth chart in the immediate future, but if nothing else the one benefit he brings is a much better veteran presence to help Geno than either Quinn or Sanchez could ever dream of being.  Plus with Sanchez now officially not coming back at all, I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him on the Jets' sideline again.

I think his knees will hold up just fine enough to get in their in case something happens to Geno.  This is probably Garrard sitting at home knowing that his knees can't hold up for 16 games, but now that he knows they don't have to he can collect a paycheck and mentor Geno and provide a better backup and spot start if need be.  I also think this tells everyone all they need to know about the Jets realistically thinking of starting Simms.

that is definitely one possibility.  

the other is that Brady Quinn is just god-awful.     Who ends up being the #2, Simms or Garrard?   

the other is that Brady Quinn is just god-awful.     Who ends up being the #2, Simms or Garrard?   

Probably Simms for the immediate future, as not only do the Jets need to evaluate Garrard's health, but he's been away from the game for a long time.  There's definitely going to be some conditioning to be done plus lots of rust to work off and I think it's safe to assume Simms has a much better grasp on the playbook than Garrard.  Garrard will probably eventually pass him, but until then he is an upgrade simply by providing a better version of what Quinn and Sanchez have been doing the past 5 weeks.

Wow, definitely surprising.  I'm guessing they use the whole exemption time to get away with having an extra guy, especially since he's still allowed to practice during that time, and then send Quinn packing and active Garrard at that time.  He probably won't even pass Simms on the depth chart in the immediate future, but if nothing else the one benefit he brings is a much better veteran presence to help Geno than either Quinn or Sanchez could ever dream of being.  Plus with Sanchez now officially not coming back at all, I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him on the Jets' sideline again.

This

This is surprising, and also a good move IMO.  

Indications are that the Jets, particularly Marty, are happy with Simms.   Garrard is being brought in as a counsel, and kind of an extra coach to work with Smith.

If Smith is injured, Simms will replace him, if Simms stinks the place up, Garrard will manage the O.

I like it

Probably a little of both. From everything I've seen, Geno seems to be handling things well with just the mentor-ship of the coaches and players around him, but I guess we'll see when it comes time for the depth chart.  I think the coaching staff like Garrard a lot and feel he can help Geno out in certain ways, but I also think that they believe he's an instant upgrade on their depth chart in case something does happen.   

I'm not sure I see the point of this.  He can't stay healthy and he hasn't thrown a pass in a game in years. If something were to happen to Geno due to injury or ineffectiveness, I don't have a lot of faith in either Simms or Quinn, but I have more in either of those guys than Garrard.  Meh.

‘No regrets’: Garrard un-retires, signs with Jets

By Brian Costello

October 10, 2013 | 11:17am

Modal Trigger

garrard.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
David Garrard after a Jets offseason workout

Photo: Bill Kostroun

The Jets’ never-ending quarterback drama took another strange twist Thursday when the team announced veteran quarterback David Garrard had returned.

Garrard had retired in May after signing with the team two months earlier because his surgically repaired left knee kept swelling up. Garrard will be placed on the exempt list for two games and then can be activated.

“I was able to take the whole summer off and let my body heal,” Garrard said in comments distributed by the team. “I started training a couple of months ago and my knee feels great. I’m sitting at home, watching games thinking, ‘Why am I at home? Why am I doing this to myself? I didn’t want to have any regrets one day.”

The Jets signed Garrard in the spring to compete with Mark Sanchez — and then Geno Smith — for the starting quarterback job. He didn’t even make it to OTAs, though, before his knee began acting up. Garrard has not played in the regular season since 2010, troubled by back and knee injuries.

While on the exempt list, Garrard can practice and attend meetings, but he cannot play in games.

“I reached out to Mr. Idzik,” Garrard said of the call he placed to Jets general manager John Idzik. “He has given me another chance, so it’s truly a blessing.”

The Jets currently have three quarterbacks on their active roster: Smith, Matt Simms and Brady Quinn. If Garrard can prove he’s healthy in the next two weeks, the team likely will let Quinn go.

Not sure what to make of this..  I don't see why they'd bring him in to be a glorified coach but pay him a players salary.  You'd have to think if all they wanted him to do was mentor, they'd offer him an assitants gig and pay him far less.

I think this means they view themselves as a contender and they want a legitimate backup if Geno goes down.

It may also mean they'll kindly ask Sanchez to stay off the sidelines.  Which would be harsh but understandable..  how many guys can Geno talk to after every series.

Not sure what to make of this..  I don't see why they'd bring him in to be a glorified coach but pay him a players salary.  You'd have to think if all they wanted him to do was mentor, they'd offer him an assitants gig and pay him far less.

I think this means they view themselves as a contender and they want a legitimate backup if Geno goes down.

It may also mean they'll kindly ask Sanchez to stay off the sidelines.  Which would be harsh but understandable..  how many guys can Geno talk to after every series.

It means that Quinn is VERY bad.   Yeah, at this point I think they think they can compete.  I think so to, as long as Smith continues to play the kind of game he did last week.

He doesn't have to throw for 400 yards a game.  Just don't turn the ball over, and make 4-5 clutch throws a game. 

BTW, if the stories are true about Sanchez going off on Idzik , I think you have seen the last of Sanchez on the sidelines

Not sure I understand the confusion by a lot of people here.  He's not being brought in for on the field production, he's a mentor to Geno.  After these first 5 games Geno is the guy and will remain the guy barring injury.  

If there's an injury, as others have said, you throw Simms or Garrard out there depending on how long Garrards had in the playbook.  Regardless, the Jets didn't bring in Brunell to be a QB on the field and this is no different (only Garrard isn't here because he needs the money and he's a much better mentor for Geno, in my admittedly biased opinion).

Good insurance to have - as a coach on the sidelines and practice field

This.  He's essentially an extra coach.  Considering his excellence in the area of ball control during his time as a starter it's a very good fit.

Not sure I understand the confusion by a lot of people here.  He's not being brought in for on the field production, he's a mentor to Geno.  After these first 5 games Geno is the guy and will remain the guy barring injury.  

If there's an injury, as others have said, you throw Simms or Garrard out there depending on how long Garrards had in the playbook.  Regardless, the Jets didn't bring in Brunell to be a QB on the field and this is no different (only Garrard isn't here because he needs the money and he's a much better mentor for Geno, in my admittedly biased opinion).

I don't buy it..  Quinn sucks but he's a healthy veteran.  If the Jets are battling for a division and Geno gets hurt Matt Simms is not going in the game.

I think Idzik may have new found optimism for our prospects as a playoff team and wants to have a legitimate option if Geno goes down. 

Quinn and Simms are cute if you view yourself as a rebuilding .500 team..  if you think you can make noise in January you have to have something better.

Y do we need a qb who couldn't make the offseason lol I don't know why we need him

IMO there is 0 downside to this move.

He's supposed to be a real nice personable guy who will help Smith get through some of the obvious struggles he is having as a rookie.

He is also a decent emergency QB.

He is not here to compete with Smith.  He's here to help Smith.

I don't buy it..  Quinn sucks but he's a healthy veteran.  If the Jets are battling for a division and Geno gets hurt Matt Simms is not going in the game.

I think Idzik may have new found optimism for our prospects as a playoff team and wants to have a legitimate option if Geno goes down. 

Quinn and Simms are cute if you view yourself as a rebuilding .500 team..  if you think you can make noise in January you have to have something better.

I see your point.  As much as I love DG he hasn't played in a long, long time now though.  I still see this as the same thing as bringing in Brunell for Sanchez.

While I agree DG is better than Quinn, I don't think they reached out (though apparently he reached out to Idzik) for him to be a viable emergency option.  If you think Geno is your future, have someone around to help mentor him.

I guess "mentor" is the new catchword in the NFL.  The idea of giving a young QB a veteran to talk to on the sidelines who does not report to the head coach and who really is no challenge to the kid's job.  Calm the kid down, give him some advice. 

It's been done in the past for a long time but they never called them "mentors".

I see your point.  As much as I love DG he hasn't played in a long, long time now though.  I still see this as the same thing as bringing in Brunell for Sanchez.

While I agree DG is better than Quinn, I don't think they reached out (though apparently he reached out to Idzik) for him to be a viable emergency option.  If you think Geno is your future, have someone around to help mentor him.

yeah..  it's semantics but I just think the difference between DG and Brunell is they really think they'd be able to win with DG. 

the whole mentoring aspect will be an ancillary benefit to who they believe is a legitimately solid backup QB.

No doubt DG is 100x the mentor to Geno and Simms than Brady Guinn is.

If there's an extreme emergency and he can move at all - he's an experienced back up that won't have to come in to hand off the ball every snap.

Great news. 

yeah..  it's semantics but I just think the difference between DG and Brunell is they really think they'd be able to win with DG. 

the whole mentoring aspect will be an ancillary benefit to who they believe is a legitimately solid backup QB.

Fair enough and agreed

There's a guy on JI who called this yesterday, and the person that fed him the rumor said it was specifically because the Jets see themselves as a playoff team and wanted veteran insurance. So, yeah.

Archived