David Garrard Is Back

Maxman

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what to make of this.. I don't see why they'd bring him in to be a glorified coach but pay him a players salary. You'd have to think if all they wanted him to do was mentor, they'd offer him an assitants gig and pay him far less.

I think this means they view themselves as a contender and they want a legitimate backup if Geno goes down.

It may also mean they'll kindly ask Sanchez to stay off the sidelines. Which would be harsh but understandable.. how many guys can Geno talk to after every series.

Does the name "Mark Brunell" mean anything to you. :)

He'd probably want to actually play so my guess is that would have nothing to do with it. His knee probably, like, feels better.  

That kind of bothers me though..  if the knee was still an issue with an entire year off, why does it now feel "great" because he took off this summer?

That kind of bothers me though..  if the knee was still an issue with an entire year off, why does it now feel "great" because he took off this summer?

Who knows but I don't think it's worth any conspiracy theory. You'll have Simms and DG now, which, to me, seems pretty solid for backups. I hope Garrard can help mentor Geno along. The good news here is, if he is healthy, he can actually still play, as opposed to having some old douche like Mark Brunel aroundl, which in hindsight, was a complete and total disaster on multiple levels.   

Traitor.

In case it's been lost on you, I operate here under a double-standard. All I can do here is bop around and not take anything too serious anymore.

I started back over there when JIF urged us all to invade and troll. I stayed when I realized I didn't have a bullseye on me... plus they get better scoops over there. Football IQ of this site is WAY higher though.

That kind of bothers me though.. if the knee was still an issue with an entire year off, why does it now feel "great" because he took off this summer?

I assumed it was because Sanchez is now done more than any new hope for Gerrard's knee. Let's be real, if anything happens to Smith, Simms has NO experience and Brady Quinn...well...sucks.

Why?   He has a roster exemption for two weeks.  If his knee flares up in two weeks of practice, like it did in camp,  they just won't activate him.  Nothing lost

In case it's been lost on you, I operate here under a double-standard. All I can do here is bop around and not take anything too serious anymore.

I started back over there when JIF urged us all to invade and troll. I stayed when I realized I didn't have a bullseye on me... plus they get better scoops over there. Football IQ of this site is WAY higher though.

yes. had this exact thought yesterday

Yeah, I was just busting your balls, I'm long past the point of having issues with that place.  I simply hardly have time to keep up here anymore, so certainly not a second site as well.  Plus, outside of the people who post on both sites and a few of the old-timers who never made the trip, I'm sure I'd have no idea who most of the people were over there these days anyway.  I'll take a peak at what's going on over there every now and then, but am never particularly compelled to make a habit of it.

But Garrard is?

I've busted a lot of balls on the Simms thing, but Garrard hasn't taken an NFL snap in two-plus years. He's clearly here to supplant Quinn, not Simms.

The bold says it all, which is why I have no idea how anyone could have an issue with this.  If he does enough to move ahead of Simms some point down the line than so be it, but for now he brings more to the table than Quinn as a #3 QB who they hope never sees the field, and that's enough.

Yeah, I was just busting your balls, I'm long past the point of having issues with that place.  I simply hardly have time to keep up here anymore, so certainly not a second site as well.  Plus, outside of the people who post on both sites and a few of the old-timers who never made the trip, I'm sure I'd have no idea who most of the people were over there these days anyway.  I'll take a peak at what's going on over there every now and then, but am never particularly compelled to make a habit of it.

To be honest, I blame not sleeping. :)

that is definitely one possibility.  

the other is that Brady Quinn is just god-awful.     Who ends up being the #2, Simms or Garrard?

I'd think Simms if they don't believe they're contending for the playoffs, but Garrard if they think they are.

I assumed it was because Sanchez is now done more than any new hope for Gerrard's knee. Let's be real, if anything happens to Smith, Simms has NO experience and Brady Quinn...well...sucks.

Very good point, with the timing coming right after we learn that Sanchez won't be back this year.

That knee of his flared up in OTAs, though. It'll be interesting to see if it even makes it thru this two week exemption period. As has been mentioned, he might be a lot more comfortable collecting a paycheck at this point in his career than actually competing for a starting job. I don't like having Quinn on the team, so this is good news regardless.

One other thing with the timing - had this signing happened last week, there would've been a lot of chatter about Geno's tenure as the starter being even more tenuous, but coming off of his best performance, the talk is about dismissing Brady Quinn. Best to do it this week for Geno's sake, rather than after the next time he lays an egg.

As I think about this more...I'm realizing Garrard being back as a Jet is due to his gambling problem.  The dice were probably rolling his way back in the summer time and he felt he didn't need this gig anymore so he "retired".  Since then, he probably lost some big bets and the bookies are visiting him more often then he would like.  Now all of a sudden his knees feel OK...so its probably a good time to go collect a paycheck so he can get back on top with his gambling debt. I can't believe none of you figured this out yet  

One other thing with the timing - had this signing happened last week, there would've been a lot of chatter about Geno's tenure as the starter being even more tenuous, but coming off of his best performance, the talk is about dismissing Brady Quinn. Best to do it this week for Geno's sake, rather than after the next time he lays an egg.

Bingo!

That might still happen.  If Geno turns the ball over 7 times in the next two weeks, the internet screaming for Simms/Garrard will be in full blast again.

IMO It's Smith's team now for at least the rest of he season.  He just has to do what he did last week,  Don't turn the ball over

As I think about this more...I'm realizing Garrard being back as a Jet is due to his gambling problem.  The dice were probably rolling his way back in the summer time and he felt he didn't need this gig anymore so he "retired".  Since then, he probably lost some big bets and the bookies are visiting him more often then he would like.  Now all of a sudden his knees feel OK...so its probably a good time to go collect a paycheck so he can get back on top with his gambling debt. I can't believe none of you figured this out yet  

LOL

Is he a gambler?  I hadn't heard that.  Who was the QB years ago who had his foot broken by thugs over gambling?

EDIT:  Maybe it was a baseball pitcher.  Just looked it up Denny McLain

LOL

Is he a gambler?  I hadn't heard that.  Who was the QB years ago who had his foot broken by thugs over gambling?

EDIT:  Maybe it was a baseball pitcher.  Just looked it up Denny McLain

I don't know if it true but it was a good story so I went with it. 

I was just looking that up myself...sounds familiar but can't come up with who exactly.

Maybe he found some wonder drug to keep his knee from swelling(HGH/Roids).  Since he was retired he wasnt being tested.  maybe he took a page from Kellen Winslow and started biking.  Winslow said it saved his career.  Dont know why he thinks his knee wont act up again but he must have a damn persuasive arguement to get Idzik to bring him back.  Like the saying Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

But Garrard is?

I've busted a lot of balls on the Simms thing, but Garrard hasn't taken an NFL snap in two-plus years. He's clearly here to supplant Quinn, not Simms.

This.  I'm glad he's willing to come back and be the # 3 / de-facto extra QB coach.  It'll be great to have him around.

Here's how much I respect Garrard:  He went to ECU (# 1 on my hate-list, AVM can vouch) and yet I think he's a great dude and a better QB than how he was billed over the years.

Maybe he found some wonder drug to keep his knee from swelling(HGH/Roids).  Since he was retired he wasnt being tested.  maybe he took a page from Kellen Winslow and started biking.  Winslow said it saved his career.  Dont know why he thinks his knee wont act up again but he must have a damn persuasive arguement to get Idzik to bring him back.  Like the saying Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Cool

We can mate that with Stu's gambling story and create an internet sensation.  

You and Stu could be Mehta's next "source"

Archived