Bill Cowher calls Rex Ryan's coaching this season "awesome"

JustInFudge

Not sure what Coughlin has to do with theJets. The results have been uneven with Rex as head coach. 

Coughlin is a 2-time Super Bowl winner and veteran coach.  Yet Rex has a better W-L record over the same 4+ year span.  That's results.

Currently we are 3-2 and in 2nd place.  That's results.

I don't see the problem here.

Coughlin is a 2-time Super Bowl winner and veteran coach.  Yet Rex has a better W-L record over the same 4+ year span.  That's results.

Currently we are 3-2 and in 2nd place.  That's results.

I don't see the problem here.

I would take ONE Super Bowl triumph if they are  coupled with some  sub .500 years. 

Think BIG-Not AFCCG loss big.

There are a lot of coaches that have hung around .500 in their career. Not as many have SB trophies on their shelf. There is a differnce.

Not sure Rex has that in him.

Do we take other players/coaches into the equation?  Cotch said he's a great HC, LT says it all the time, many players love him. Cowher apparently thinks he's awesome.  I heard Charlie Casserly say the other day he's the biggest strength in the organization.  I'm not sure how the equation works but I'm guessing the random dude on internet part of the equation weighs the heaviest. 

Where the hell is that hippie noodle dancing human calculator we call CTM when we need him? He ruins everything.

I would take ONE Super Bowl triumph if they are  coupled with some  sub .500 years. 

There are a lot of coaches that have hung around .500 in their career. Not as many have SB trophies on their shelf. There is a differnce.

The fact he got within a game of the Superbowl his first two years with a GQ coverboy QB with 11 college starts wouldn't make you think uhhhh maybe?

The fact he got within a game of the Superbowl his first two years with a GQ coverboy QB with 11 college starts wouldn't make you think uhhhh maybe?

The fact that the jets act like a schizophrenic manic team under Rex (high highs, low lows) with wild fluctuations leads me to believe he is incapable of taking a team on extended run of excellence, which the season's end, playoffs and Super Bowl require.

If you can get 1 step away from the Super Bowl.....twice.....not only is that not mediocrity, it means he can GET to the Super Bowl given some slight improvements.  We're seeing an uptick in young talent, and an uptick at the QB position.  I think he absolutely can get there. 

Why do you keep thinking that what we've done in the past is "good enough" for me?  Winning the Super Bowl is always the goal.  It's also difficult to do.  Cowher, considered a great coach, took over 15 years to do it.  I don't see how the evidence at hand suggests to you that Rex CANNOT win the big one.

The fact that the jets act like a schizophrenic manic team under Rex (high highs, low lows) with wild fluctuations leads me to believe he is incapable of taking a team on extended run of excellence, which the season's end, playoffs and Super Bowl require.

You don't need an "extended run of excellence".  You just need to get to the postseason and win 3 or 4 games in a row.  What makes you think we cannot do this?

If you can get 1 step away from the Super Bowl.....twice.....not only is that not mediocrity, it means he can GET to the Super Bowl given some slight improvements.  We're seeing an uptick in young talent, and an uptick at the QB position.  I think he absolutely can get there. 

Why do you keep thinking that what we've done in the past is "good enough" for me?  Winning the Super Bowl is always the goal.  It's also difficult to do.  Cowher, considered a great coach, took over 15 years to do it.  I don't see how the evidence at hand suggests to you that Rex CANNOT win the big one.

Ofcourse he can.  Scott is a staunch hater and wont admit it...but he knows this to be true.  You're not that close twice but you're completely and utterly unable to get the team over the hump.  That's an absolutely ridiculous line of thinking. 

Just like most capable coaches, he just needs the right mix of ingredients with a hot QB in the playoffs.  

What your describing is manic depressive.  Or bi-polar if you would.

What your describing is manic depressive.  Or bi-polar if you would.

Bi-Polar 1 is preferred because that would include a manic episode (I.E. a Super Bowl) with depression before and/or after.

Bi-Polar 2 is mostly just depression, which was everything between Parcells and Rex.

I'll take Bi-Polar 1 FTW.

I think it was more a suggestion that losing Belichick was no great loss, and only seems so because of Tom Brady.  Personally I think it's ridiculous, but I have opinions others find ridiculous as well.

For all we know, since Brady dink & dunked his way to that early success, Chad Pennington might have had a superbowl ring here.

Come on, man.  While I didn't necessarily disagree with your initial point, you're not really helping your cause by making such a completely asinine statement.  I could go on a rant that would be longer than either of us at our very worst as to why that's not even close to being a possibility.

Not sure what Coughlin has to do with theJets. The results have been uneven with Rex as head coach.

So let's talk Jets...

Rex has more playoff wins than any other Jets' head coach in history, and only Bill Parcells has a better winning percentage in the regular season (not counting Al Groh's one & done). The fact that he's compiled that record with Tannenbaum, Schottenheimer, Sporano, and Sanchez should really be considered an achievement. The fact that all of them have now been replaced should be a glimmer of hope.

I never seen the Jets hires an "offensive coach" and put on the field greatness on that side of the field.  I haven't seen the Jets hire (until Rex) a "defensive coach" and walk the walk with that part of the unit.   The Jets under Mangini a "defensive guru" were ranked # 19 in defense and every damn mediocre QB used to put Montana's type number.  The following year with the same players Rex turned it around into a # 1 one defense and you can count with your finger  from 2009 to date the amount of QB who had completed 60% of their passes.  If I'm not mistaken the average completion by QB  under Rex is in the low 50's.  I think his weakness is that he is too loyal to his people.   Had the Jets brought in someone like MM on the offensive side back in 09 to start anew with Rex instead of leftover with mediocre production like Shooty then probably we could had made it to the SB by now. 

So let's talk Jets...

Rex has more playoff wins than any other Jets' head coach in history, and only Bill Parcells has a better winning percentage in the regular season (not counting Al Groh's one & done). The fact that he's compiled that record with Tannenbaum, Schottenheimer, Sporano, and Sanchez should really be considered an achievement. The fact that all of them have now been replaced should be a glimmer of hope.

As long as the Jets can continue to play 2-3, 0-4 and 1-4 teams, the future seems bright ;)

Oh, and Rexy was involved in the decision to draft Sanchez and to hire Sparano.

As long as the Jets can continue to play 2-3, 0-4 and 1-4 teams, the future seems bright ;)

Oh, and Rexy was involved in the decision to draft Sanchez and to hire Sparano.

You have taken a pretty severe beating this thread.  Perhaps it's time to tap out for now and re-launch your bizarre crusade after a loss.

Yeah, who can argue with Rex's .529 winning percentage. The masses are easily sedated

Jif---- Jets win Rex (RESILIENT GREAT TEAM DUR!!!) = Vince Lombardi

Jif--- Jets lose  = ''its the players, they suck..its Idzick''

The problem with the NFL now is that Rex actually is one of the better coaches in the league. I dont know who is out there right now that could have our D playing like this. and I like Morningwhieg (sp?) and what hes done with the offense.

I guess I just think Jif is a retard for starting this thread over what a reporter/washed up coach said about Rex. yeah, thats exactly what I think :)

some of the things Rex does infuriate me especially on the sidelines and lately with the ridiculous challenge flags and what seems to be an undisciplined football team ...that being said I think over all he has done a good job with a team no one expected to be where they are at now....He certainly can handle a defense I think the perfect move for him would be to make Mornhinwig the assistant head coach and let him completely handle the offensive decisions If Rex wants to be the Defensive Coordinator he's going to have to realize he needs help in other areas on the sidelines and I think if that happens the Jets should extend him.

The only reason I get crazy when I see boneheaded coaching decisions is because when the playoffs role around its one and done and one bad coaching decision can send you home.

some of the things Rex does infuriate me especially on the sidelines and lately with the ridiculous challenge flags and what seems to be an undisciplined football team ...that being said I think over all he has done a good job with a team no one expected to be where they are at now....He certainly can handle a defense I think the perfect move for him would be to make Mornhinwig the assistant head coach and let him completely handle the offensive decisions If Rex wants to be the Defensive Coordinator he's going to have to realize he needs help in other areas on the sidelines and I think if that happens the Jets should extend him.

The only reason I get crazy when I see boneheaded coaching decisions is because when the playoffs role around its one and done and one bad coaching decision can send you home.

ESPN is not "everybody."

ESPN is not "everybody."

True, but there's not a single sports outlet outside of Jets' fans that really had them winning anything more than a handful of games. If there was, I certainly missed it. Sure, a lot of that was to generate ratings, coupled with the notion that Smith was an unknown and Sanchez most likely was going to be steering this ship directly to hell.  However, if the Jets do somehow finish above .500 this year, they'll most certainly pass everyone, but the most optimistic Jets' expectations If they weather the storm and continue on this pace, 9-7 or 10-6 would be a giant shock, not only to ESPN.

True, but there's not a single sports outlet outside of Jets' fans that really had them winning anything more than a handful of games. If there was, I certainly missed it. Sure, a lot of that was to generate ratings, coupled with the notion that Smith was an unknown and Sanchez most likely was going to be steering this ship directly to hell. However, if the Jets do somehow finish above .500 this year, they'll most certainly pass everyone, but the most optimistic Jets' expectations If they weather the storm and continue on this pace, 9-7 or 10-6 would be a giant shock, not only to ESPN.

Agreed, but the dudes basing their arguments around the hacks that declared this a two win team are only empowering those hacks.

Agreed, but the dudes basing their arguments around the hacks that declared this a two win team are only empowering those hacks.

Fair enough. The average fan is pretty easily baited and should have realized that anyone declaring this team as two-win team, either didn't know football or was simply trolling them.  Seeing as how our defense was going to be better and our offense/QB production couldn't really have been worse, there's just no simple way we were going to be a two or one win team, just not possible. 

not sure what you mean Shane since I could give a sh*t less what ESPN has to say.

I can't speak for Tomas (spanish version is how I'm saying his name in my head now), but I will anyway; I believe he's referring to the people on here who equate the entire sporting world's perspective based solely on the ESPN hacks. They were the only one's really saying this was a cellar-dweller type of team, mainly for ratings.  I don't particularly care who said it, I do like that Rex has gotten a family mentality going on in the locker room and really playing up the idea people picked them to be dead last.

Rex has done a pretty good job (putting Sanchez back in at the end of that preseason game might turn out to have been a blessing). 

The Jets are 3-2 which is just where they should be. However, they should have beaten New England, and should have lost to Tampa Bay. That would have been a "better" 3-2 as it would have been another division W. 

Archived