Signs point to Rex Ryan's return

Maxman

By Adam Schefter | ESPN

A season that was supposed to be Rex Ryan's last with the New York Jets has gone so well that one source close to the situation told ESPN this week that "the arrow now points to Rex being back next season."

30072.jpg
Ryan

There are still 11 games to play, and a lot can change with Ryan scheduled to be headed into the last year of his deal next season. But Ryan and new general manager John Idzik have gotten along better than many around the organization and the league believed they would.

Ryan's brashness has complemented Idzik's reserved nature. Plus, Ryan always has had the support of Jets owner Woody Johnson, and that has not wavered.

Ryan is 37-32 since becoming the Jets' coach in 2009.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9819413/signs-point-rex-ryan-new-york-jets-2014

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anonymous sources are viable now and this article was from 10 AM this morning.

The article time stamp that I saw was from 2:44pm.  I just saw it and posted it.  It is a relevant story.  And I have been saying this for a long time, Rex Ryan will be back.  All this talk about getting another coach is silly.  Not going to happen.

The article time stamp that I saw was from 2:44pm. I just saw it and posted it. It is a relevant story. And I have been saying this for a long time, Rex Ryan will be back. All this talk about getting another coach is silly. Not going to happen.

Schefter tweeted this at 10 AM. It's as relevant as SeñorGato reporting on Ducasse's potential.

The article time stamp that I saw was from 2:44pm.  I just saw it and posted it.  It is a relevant story.  And I have been saying this for a long time, Rex Ryan will be back.  All this talk about getting another coach is silly.  Not going to happen.

We'll see. Ryan has a LOT of flaws as a HC. Has a few saving graces but mostly the Jets will be what they already are under Rex. Inconsistent, and offensively challenged. Rex was clearly outcoached against Pittsburgh. His defense didn't tackle well and allowed too many screen passes to go for first downs. Marty called a piss poor game as well with his QB's head wedged firmly up his own a$$.

Schefter tweeted this at 10 AM. It's as relevant as SeñorGato reporting on Ducasse's potential.

A rookie QB crapped in the bed today.  They need wideouts and a year to look at Geno and see what they want to do.  The loss today changes none of that.

What they know is that Rex has toned down his act.  And that he is getting along well with Idzik.  They are on the same page.  Rex will be retained.  Take that to the bank!

A rookie QB crapped in the bed today.  They need wideouts and a year to look at Geno and see what they want to do.  The loss today changes none of that.

What they know is that Rex has toned down his act.  And that he is getting along well with Idzik.  They are on the same page.  Rex will be retained.  Take that to the bank!

I think Rex is doing more good coaching than bad this year. Honestly, his weaknesses would not be so glaring if he had any talent on this team beyond the defensive line.

WR = HOT garbage, inconsistent hands, no speed, no experience.

RB = uninspiring at best, no explosion, can't carry team when needed.

TE = practice squad for all but maybe 3 other teams in the NFL.

QB = inexperience, inexperience, no knees.

OL = Good, most of the time (can't be blamed for rookie QB holding ball too long).

DL = Stellar.

LB = Very good inside, outside leaves much to be desired.

DB = Awful, the ones that can cover cannot tackle, the ones that can tackle can't cover.

The good news is, we are strong in the trenches. The bad news is, we are in almost exactly in the same spot we were with Sanchez, actually quite a bit worse... and we're not going to back our way into the playoffs this time.

I think Rex is doing more good coaching than bad this year. Honestly, his weaknesses would not be so glaring if he had any talent on this team beyond the defensive line.

WR = HOT garbage, inconsistent hands, no speed, no experience.

RB = uninspiring at best, no explosion, can't carry team when needed.

TE = practice squad for all but maybe 3 other teams in the NFL.

QB = inexperience, inexperience, no knees.

OL = Good, most of the time (can't be blamed for rookie QB holding ball too long).

DL = Stellar.

LB = Very good inside, outside leaves much to be desired.

DB = Awful, the ones that can cover cannot tackle, the ones that can tackle can't cover.

The good news is, we are strong in the trenches. The bad news is, we are in almost exactly in the same spot we were with Sanchez, actually quite a bit worse... and we're not going to back our way into the playoffs this time.

pretty much agree with all of this .I also have a problem with how our RB's are currently being used I would like to see them used much more in the passing game it would have worked nicely yesterday vs the Steelers yet we still tried to go down field to WR's who could not get open vs a good secondary. It seems the only time our passing game works is when we play against a horrid secondary and it has been that way for about 5 years.

Frankly I think all the playoff talk was crazy time.  People, keep your bets buckled.  This will be an up and down year.  What you look for is a fairly consistent Geno in the last 4 games of the season.  If for some reason we look up then and are in the race, go get your bowels in an uproar.  As for our OL, they have not been that good.  Yes, sometimes he holds it too long but Geno has not been well protected, for the most part.  I keep hearing in the papers how brilliant Mangold is at calling protections, well, I don't see it.  Teams that blitz have been eating our lunch.   Our wideouts suck.  Plainly they suck. I am not sure they are even running the right routes out there a lot of the time. We now have one TE capable of getting open.  Our DL was supposed to swallow the Pitt OL whole yesterday.  Did not happen. Our DB's blow. We really need to find out what Milliner is.   Here is the snapshot I took from yesterday's game:  that FG drive at the end of the half.  Nobody thought we would get 3 there.  Also, Geno showed the ability to make some difficult throws.  Bilal Powell is a tough runner.  Not great, tough.  He needs a better line in front of him.  Cumberland might be a keeper.  Demario Davis is very fast.  That's about it.  I am amazed we are 3-3.

We'll see. Ryan has a LOT of flaws as a HC. Has a few saving graces but mostly the Jets will be what they already are under Rex. Inconsistent, and offensively challenged. Rex was clearly outcoached against Pittsburgh. His defense didn't tackle well and allowed too many screen passes to go for first downs. Marty called a piss poor game as well with his QB's head wedged firmly up his own a$$.

His biggest saving grace is that the owner supports him and likes him a lot. That in itself gets him the extension unless things spiral out of control.

Clearly outcoached? Sure, but don't forget that Pitt had 2 weeks to prepare while the Jets were coming off a short week on the road. Not saying it's an excuse, but certainly should be taken into account.

Didn't tackle well? Is that on the coaching staff, or the skill set of the players involved? IMO it's a little of both. For example, Cro will never be a good tackler no matter how much you coach him.

Yes MM called a bad game no doubt. Kind of surprising given his gem against Atlanta, but IMO the short week and Pitt's load of time to prepare had something to do with it.

Geno is a 2nd round rookie and will have ups and downs especially early in the season. Guys like Luck and RG3 are the exception not the norm. Look at the talent he is surrounded with including a JV receiving corps and you wonder why he sh!ts the bed? Why so many of you guys don't understand this is mind boggling.

You believe none of this, you click-whoring chimp.

Here's what I find hysterical: before the season, Rex fans were insistent on this idea that we should ignore the forthcoming record and assess Rex based on how his team performs. Now that we're in season, Rex fans want us to focus on the record and ignore how the team is actually performing. Classic stuff.

Here's what I find hysterical: before the season, Rex fans were insistent on this idea that we should ignore the forthcoming record and assess Rex based on how his team performs. Now that we're in season, Rex fans want us to focus on the record and ignore how the team is actually performing. Classic stuff.

the team is performing well enough to have won 3 games thus far...  what are you even talking about?

Archived