Gronk playing Sunday

Matt39

Stupid Rex.  Is it 2014 yet? 

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9844948/rex-ryan-assumed-rob-gronkowski-play-new-york-jets

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan was so sure that Rob Gronkowski would play against theNew York Jets, he had young tight end Zach Sudfeld, dubbed "Baby Gronk" this summer, play the role of the Patriots tight end on the scout team all week.

"Like we said from Day One, I assumed he'd play," Ryan said. "I'm assuming Brady will play. But that's how much we assumed this guy was going to play. I don't know if they were saving him for us or whatever, but I had a funny feeling he was going to play. After that first game I felt for sure he'd play against us the second game."

In the last three games against the Jets, Gronkowski has 21 catches for 222 yards and four touchdowns.On Friday morning, Gronkowski's agent Drew Rosenhaus told reporters Gronkowski had been cleared to play after undergoing forearm and back procedures during the offseason. The 6-foot-6, 265-pound tight end has been particularly effective against the Jets, and especially in the red zone.

"That's where, in particular, he presents a huge problem," Ryan said. "He's 6-7 or whatever and he goes up and gets it. We saw (Atlanta Falcons tight end) Tony Gonzalez have success against us just as he's had against New England and everyone else. Those guys are hard to cover. Even when you think you've got them covered, they're still open just because of their size and catching radius."

The Jets have tapped safety Antonio Allen to cover Gronkowski. The team will get injured cornerbacks Dee Milliner (hamstring) and Kyle Wilson (concussion) back this week as well, strengthening the backfield.

Still, Allen sees that he is the first line of defense, and has prepared all week for Gronkowski. Allen was honest about the challenge he presents.

I know he's a strong big type of dude," said Allen, who defended Gronkowski in the first game last season. "He's a big target. (I've) just got to stay in front of him and stay aggressive. Strong guy. I remember a couple times he came off the ball and fired off and he kind of like, hit me and got me off balance, so I have to change up something."

Sudfeld, a rookie whose first stop was New England, is actually an inch taller than Gronkowski. He was undrafted but signed with New England in May and spent time learning from Gronkowski -- hence the nickname. The Jets picked him up off waivers on Oct. 4.

Ryan said Sudfeld had another role as well -- providing information to the Jets.

"You obviously pick his brain," Ryan said.

Still, Sudfeld is an unrefined version of his namesake, or he'd still be on Bill Belichick's roster. Even if Gronkoski isn't 100 percent, his frame makes matchups tricky.

"You know he's a big target, so you know that's where the ball is going to go in certain situations," Wilson said.

• a297b55b3a458866137f9c300c7eb61f_normal.
    Gronkowski officially listed as questionable vs. #Jets. Talib is doubtful. Amendola, Leon Washington and Tommy Kelly all out for Pats.
    Beat Writer / Columnist

Tommy Kelly is out???? Dang!!!!  Didnt know that...Wilfork, Kelly and Mayo out...they should be able to run the ball.  Thats a lot of talent that mans the middle of the field.   

Anyone could have seen this coming, I am of the opinion that he could have played if they needed him to weeks ago but Belichick wanted him back specifically for this game. Belichick didn't want to play Gronkowski against the Saints because Rob would spill the beans to Rex on defensive game planning having seen him just one game ago, giving Rex a slight edge. Now Belichick gets the element of surprise against Rex (eventhough Rex game planned for him playing) so the Jets defense won't be seeing the same patriots offense that had a poor outing in week 2.

Anyone could have seen this coming, I am of the opinion that he could have played if they needed him to weeks ago but Belichick wanted him back specifically for this game. Belichick didn't want to play Gronkowski against the Saints because Rob would spill the beans to Rex on defensive game planning having seen him just one game ago, giving Rex a slight edge. Now Belichick gets the element of surprise against Rex (eventhough Rex game planned for him playing) so the Jets defense won't be seeing the same patriots offense that had a poor outing in week 2.

I don't think Belichick is that worried about the Jets.

I get it, but still a bit too conspiracy theoryish. Rex has already seen Gronk in about 7 games, there's no secrets here. There's no way BB sits him for the Bengals or Saints game, games he could realistically lose, just to stick it to the Jets. Gronk simply lost faith in the Pats' medical team and would only listen to Dr. Andrews, who didn't give him the go-ahead until this week, thus he's now playing. 

Name me two Jet Db's (one of whom can't be named Cromartie) who can effectively double team Gronk.  Our safeties suck in coverage. 

I would guess they will rotate matchups.  Occasionally, you'll see cro + a safety, maybe  Milner + safety sometimes.  Those are the only two guys that can really cover with maybe the exception of Walls. 

Name me two Jet Db's (one of whom can't be named Cromartie) who can effectively double team Gronk.  Our safeties suck in coverage. 

I would guess they will rotate matchups.  Occasionally, you'll see cro + a safety, maybe  Milner + safety sometimes.  Those are the only two guys that can really cover with maybe the exception of Walls. 

I suspect that he'll be on a snap count and will see the majority of his work in the red zone, which is dangerous enough.  The good thing for the defense is that they just faced Gonzo two weeks ago and playing against Gronk really won't be that different.  You'll most likely see a smattering of different guys on him; Harris, Davis, Trufant etc. 

I worry less about him carving up the defense between the 20s, although he's fully capable of doing that, and moreso in the red-zone.  Hopefully the defense can do their job and keep those ****ers out of their.

This game will once again come down to turnovers and blown-assignments; the only way we win this is if we're even or on the plus side.

Archived