Bill Belichick disagrees with penalty call in Pats loss

stoicsentry

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000266504/article/bill-belichick-disagrees-with-penalty-call-in-pats-loss

Bill Belichick didn't agree with the controversial penalty that ultimately helped give the New York Jets a victory Sunday.

Jets kicker Nick Folk missed a 56-yard field-goal attempt in overtime, but New England Patriots defensive tackle Chris Jones was flagged 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct on the play for pushing a teammate into the offensive formation. Folk kicked the winning field goal four plays later.

Belichick was asked if he believed it was a legitimate call.

"We weren't on the second level when we pushed him, no," the Patriots coach said. "You can't push from the second level. I didn't think we did that."

The penalty is based on a new rule put in place this offseason. The rulebook states: "Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation."

You can question the rule, but that's what happened on this play. The rulebook does not say that it matters where a player lines up, then pushes a teammate.

Dean Blandino, the NFL's vice president of officiating, explained the penalty to NFL Network: "When you look at the play, you can see New England No. 94 (Jones) pushing New England No. 74 (Will Svitek) into the (offensive) formation. That's a violation of the rule, it was put in for player safety, and it is the correct call."

Greg Bedard of TheMMQB.com pointed out that the examples the NFL showed teams during the offseason concerning the new rule showed linebackers lining up behind defensive linemen and pushing. That could be why Belichick was confused.

"We've seen it before, and it hasn't been called," Blandino said. "This is the first time it's been called."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big effin' surprise.  Like the rule or not, this was an unambiguous, crystal-clear penalty -- and he whines and bitches.   Hey, if he is looking for sympathy, he can find it in the dictionary right between "sh*t" and "syphilis".   Belli needs to shut his cock holster.

And he was all over the officials for the OPI on Hill in the end zone, right?

.......Right?

Or the non OPI call that allowed Thompkins to win the game last week. I'm sure Krafty will grease the right hands and they'll get a few makeups next week against Miami or just save them up until it's an important game and cash them in then.

And here I was feeling silly that I thought BB should know the rules. This cheating scumbag probably told his guys to do it because the refs would never call them for it.

Isn't it weird how Belichick knows the rules inside and out until his team ****s up, and then suddenly the rulebook is unfair? 

Patriots fans can get ****ed sideways.

This was a horribly officiated game on both sides. The personal foul against Ivory was a total horsesh*t call, as was the OPI against Hall.

Here's what kills me: if they hadn't flagged Gronkowski for the pick on the previous drive, would they have thrown the flag on Hill? I think not. The NFL is basically the NBA at this point. Jerome Bogar = Joey Crawford

And here I was feeling silly that I thought BB should know the rules. This cheating scumbag probably told his guys to do it because the refs would never call them for it.

Amazing how little this cheat knows about the rules, isn't it? Guess Kraft didn't hand over enough cash to the zebras today.

Speaking of which how come the cameras didn't zoom in at all on Kraft after the FG or the penalty? They show his ugly face enough during the game when his cheats are doing well.

BB has sour grapes about the refs?  Oh the irony

What a bunch of hypocrites. They get their weekly gift from the refs on the ridiculous OPI penalty wiping out a TD which would have sealed the game, and they have the nerve to bitch about a correct call? Maybe the media should have asked Belicheat about that OPI call. I'm sure it would have been real quiet all of the sudden.

The fact that this team has been the rewarded with more horrible calls going their way than any other team in the history of the league makes this even more laughable and idiotic.

The New England Hypocrites. Just amazing

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/patriots-lose-on-the-most-rigged-ridiculous-call-in-the-history-of-professional-sports-the-nfl-should-be-embarrassed/

There are bad calls and then there calls that are so bad they ruin the credibility of the entire league.  That’s what this was.  I just refuse to believe a professional ref could make that call unless he had the Jets moneyline.   Seriously that wasn’t a bad call.  That was cheating plain and simple.  No other way to describe it.  I felt like I was watching Blue Chips or something.   In 35 years of watching sports by far the most blatant fixed call I’ve ever seen in my life.   Pushing?   Is that just something that ref made up?  I’ve watched this play 1,000 times already and I still don’t even know who he pushed?  He literally did nothing.  Unreal.  I was gonna blame this game on Brady making too many mistakes and letting the Jets back into it with that pick 6, but the facts are if the refs didn’t cheat we still win that game.  I think even the biggest Jets fan knows that was a disgrace to football.   If Roger Goodell has any shred of dignity or wants to maintain the integrity of the NFL he won’t count that victory.   You can’t.   Not if you want people to take the league seriously anymore.

I love this stuff. lol

Archived