Bill Belichick disagrees with penalty call in Pats loss

stoicsentry

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pats arent going to win every game and the Jets were due.

Rexs job was on the line. Still is but this win keeps the hangman away from his door for awhile.

It's possible that just about every game is sort of "make or break" for Rex, but his job is a lot more comfortable than some other coaches out there, I'd say.  I doubt Coughlin is getting fired but certainly the seats are hottest in Tampa, Minnesota, Jacksonville and perhaps Oakland.  Those are the types of situations where a firing midseason is very possible.  

It's possible that just about every game is sort of "make or break" for Rex, but his job is a lot more comfortable than some other coaches out there, I'd say. I doubt Coughlin is getting fired but certainly the seats are hottest in Tampa, Minnesota, Jacksonville and perhaps Oakland. Those are the types of situations where a firing midseason is very possible.

Oakland's head coaches are on the hot seat the moment they're hired.

Schiano is almost certainly a goner.

Interesting that the guy that did it said he should have known the rule and took blame.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4751551/dt-jones-mistake-was-mine

He sure doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed, so I believe him.

"Yeah, it was something we talked about probably during camp and stuff, and it just slipped out of my mind," he said. "So I just, it was just my mistake, nobody else's. I've just got to man up and fix it next time." 

"I was confused at first and didn't know what was going on, and I figured out what it was and I was like 'that was my fault,' " he said. "I just had to get -- we still had more football to play after that -- so I just had to, you know, get rid of it real quick." 

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/patriots-lose-on-the-most-rigged-ridiculous-call-in-the-history-of-professional-sports-the-nfl-should-be-embarrassed/

There are bad calls and then there calls that are so bad they ruin the credibility of the entire league. That’s what this was. I just refuse to believe a professional ref could make that call unless he had the Jets moneyline. Seriously that wasn’t a bad call. That was cheating plain and simple. No other way to describe it. I felt like I was watching Blue Chips or something. In 35 years of watching sports by far the most blatant fixed call I’ve ever seen in my life. Pushing? Is that just something that ref made up? I’ve watched this play 1,000 times already and I still don’t even know who he pushed? He literally did nothing. Unreal. I was gonna blame this game on Brady making too many mistakes and letting the Jets back into it with that pick 6, but the facts are if the refs didn’t cheat we still win that game. I think even the biggest Jets fan knows that was a disgrace to football. If Roger Goodell has any shred of dignity or wants to maintain the integrity of the NFL he won’t count that victory. You can’t. Not if you want people to take the league seriously anymore.

I love this stuff. lol

Read some of the comments...

**** football... I'm sad for Earth.

Sorry Bill, it wasn't the ref's fault that your team couldn't out the Jets away when you were up by 11 points, or that they couldn't' score a field goal, even though they got the got first in OT against a tired Jets D that had been out there for four minutes. Brady's pick six wasn't the Jets fault either.

And speaking of bad calls, Jeff Cumberland caught what would have been the GW TD in the fourth quarter, only to have it negated by an absolutely bogus pass interference penalty. Sorry Belidick.

Interesting that the guy that did it said he should have known the rule and took blame.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4751551/dt-jones-mistake-was-mine

WOW!  I'm surprised BB let him talk about it that freely. No where to go from there from a complain standpoint.

I wonder if the rest of Pats nation will just disregard that comment from Jones and keep complaining. 

"Boo hoo make a t-shirt about it you f*cking pussy."

"I guess the refs made Brady f*ck up when he got the ball 1st in OT too"

(I saw the ones you're referring to. How charming.)

Yeah, good laughs in there for sure, but overall just disturbing.

Stupid push, stupid call.

The same can be said for like 75% of pass interference or illegal contact calls. And every other tackle a defensive player makes gets flagged these days.

If the NFL actually cared about player safety, they wouldn't put their players in rigid helmets and tell them to hit each other. Safety equipment technology in football seems to have remained remarkably stagnant over the past couple decades.

And Belichick shouldn't have answered that question. Pats shouldn't have even let that game go to overtime. Go Sox.

Stupid push, stupid call.

The same can be said for like 75% of pass interference or illegal contact calls. And every other tackle a defensive player makes gets flagged these days.

If the NFL actually cared about player safety, they wouldn't put their players in rigid helmets and tell them to hit each other. Safety equipment technology in football seems to have remained remarkably stagnant over the past couple decades.

If the NFL really cared about safety, they'd never penalize the Patriots.

It was a wretched call that ultimately decided the game, and that's not taking anything away from the Jets. Any of you nancies explaining it away should see a therapist.

It's a wretched rule, but was it not called correctly?

Or are you saying its a "you don't make that call there" situation, just like as a ref you don't put someone on the free throw line with the game in the balance and less than a second to go in the game unless it's an egregious foul?

Or are you saying its a "you don't make that call there" situation, just like you don't put someone on the free throw line with the game in the balance and less than a second to go on the game unless it's an egregious foul?

You don't call that penalty in that spot because it had no impact on the play. It's like calling back a winning TD because the receiver's jersey was untucked.

Or are you saying its a "you don't make that call there" situation, just like you don't put someone on the free throw line with the game in the balance and less than a second to go on the game unless it's an egregious foul?

Tuck Rule 4tw! Also, NBA officiating is a joke.

You don't call that penalty in that spot because it had no impact on the play. It's like calling back a winning TD because the receiver's jersey was untucked.

Gotcha.  I tend to agree.  It's a weird call, it was the first time it was EVER called, and as you mentioned, it didn't result in a blocked kick.  Not sure how it impacts player safety either.

That said, I'll take it.

Gotcha. I tend to agree. It's a weird call, it was the first time it was EVER called, and as you mentioned, it didn't result in a blocked kick. Not sure how it impacts player safety either.

That said, I'll take it.

Me too. I'll take it, I'll sleep well, but I can still acknowledge the hose down that the Pats took.

Bogar is a walking joke and that game was an episode of the Benny Hill Show. Off the top of my head, the unnecessary roughness on the Ivory hit and the OPIs on both Gronkowski and Hill were all horsesh*t.

Archived