Bill Belichick disagrees with penalty call in Pats loss

stoicsentry

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotcha.  I tend to agree.  It's a weird call, it was the first time it was EVER called, and as you mentioned, it didn't result in a blocked kick.  Not sure how it impacts player safety either.

That said, I'll take it.

What's the use of having a rule if it's never enforced? That is exactly why the refs were being prepped about it this week and were on the lookout for it. Given that fact I'm not surprised it was called.

As far as the rule itself, you can thank the NFLPA and Goodell for making it a pansy league. Look at the pansy rule for the biggest pansy of them all, the Brady rule. It's going to keep getting worse too. 

For people saying the ref shouldn't have called it because it didn't affect the play, #1 that can be said for a huge percentage of illegal contact and defensive holding calls in the secondary when the QB isn't even looking at that receiver not to mention illegal block penalties when it's clear the runner wasn't aided by the illegal block. , #2 the official threw the flag without knowing the result of the kick, the ball has just left folk's foot and was still in the air when the official threw the flag, it's not like he knowingly and willingly gave the Jets a second chance for that reason alone. The rules are the rules, the Patriots benefited from it with the tuck rule, they lost today, either complain about the call in both instances or none.

It's poor coaching on NE's part, plain and simple.  Rules are rules, and the league (allegedly) went out of its way to re-stress this one in the past week.  Well it's the coach's responsibility to make sure his ST coach is aware, and the ST coach has to make the players aware.  Is the call bad timing? You bet.  But one could also argue it's bad timing to commit that penalty.

NE got enough breaks and benefited from enough point-erasing calls against the Jets in this game, not to mention Geno spotting them a TD, and had enough opportunities to not whine about being on this end of the refs' untimely call for once.  Entered the 2nd half up by 11 and they blew the lead against a rookie QB with a pretty untalented receiving corps.  So they can suck it and choke on it.

Colon says the refs warned the Pats about the pushing rule on one of our prior FGAs, FWIW.

I wonder if that's true. If so, It's HILARIOUS andshows how the Pats really view the NFL officials/rules. They're so used to getting the benefit of the doubt that they don't even think to adhere.

F*CK THEM!   I'm glad that this type of a rule and call blew up in their faces like it did. It's about friggin time.

Colon says the refs warned the Pats about the pushing rule on one of our prior FGAs, FWIW.

lol

So they let them get away with it with no penalty, warned them, they did it again, and then have the balls to cry foul?

Typical.  

So Bill Belichick's players are ignorant to the rules and are so undisciplined that when the refs warn them specifically not to do something they do it anyway?

Circus. 

ESPN commenter (maybe my favorite so far)

I never liked that Patriots, and I was kind of going for the Jets..though my whole family loves them...but still I personally will NOT WATCH NEXT WEEKS GAME IN PROTEST! I will boycott next weeks game for what happened.....this is not the NFL MAN...I dont know what the hell this is but I am not going to waste my time watching this.......NEXT WEEK I PLAY VIDEO GAME or read a book, or sleep or go for a walk, or a ride...BUT I WILL NOT WATCH THE JETS!!!! Was this a payment? How do we know that? in fact WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THESE OFFICIALS ANYMORE? You decide a game like this on a call like that and you expect us to trust this F LEAGUE NO WAY....NEXT WEEK BOYCOTT THE JETS! Maybe the league will learn something. By the way....still no TEBOW...a helsman trophy winner leads denver tot he playoffs and is still not good enough for the third string in the NFL? Hey are you people RACISTS?

People are not smart, in general, they just aren't.

BOYCOTT THE JETS!! LOL

NO TEBOW? ARE YOU RACISTS????

maybe this is the universe's way (or the NFL's way) of evening out what happened last week in the NE/NO game. I've seen the Jets get screwed enough in calls/non-calls and seen NE get enough beneficial calls/non-calls to not feel like this was "luck."

And if what Colon said was true and the Patriots were warned by the refs not to do it again, and they did it anyway, we can pour some extra "GFY" sauce on Belichick's opinion.

ESPN commenter (maybe my favorite so far)

I never liked that Patriots, and I was kind of going for the Jets..though my whole family loves them...but still I personally will NOT WATCH NEXT WEEKS GAME IN PROTEST! I will boycott next weeks game for what happened.....this is not the NFL MAN...I dont know what the hell this is but I am not going to waste my time watching this.......NEXT WEEK I PLAY VIDEO GAME or read a book, or sleep or go for a walk, or a ride...BUT I WILL NOT WATCH THE JETS!!!! Was this a payment? How do we know that? in fact WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THESE OFFICIALS ANYMORE? You decide a game like this on a call like that and you expect us to trust this F LEAGUE NO WAY....NEXT WEEK BOYCOTT THE JETS! Maybe the league will learn something. By the way....still no TEBOW...a helsman trophy winner leads denver tot he playoffs and is still not good enough for the third string in the NFL? Hey are you people RACISTS?

People are not smart, in general, they just aren't.

BOYCOTT THE JETS!! LOL

NO TEBOW? ARE YOU RACISTS????

Didn't that guy used to post here?

So the media has spent a dozen years fellating this Belichick clown, calling him a "genius" at every opportunity yet by his own admission he keeps misinterpreting rules - this, that whole thing about taping other teams coach's signals, etc...

You would think a football "genius" would understand the rules of the game. Based on his own words, I question how much this jackass knows about football at all. 

Belichick actually manned up and admitted he was wrrrrr. He was wrrrrrrrrrr. He was wrong:

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9858071/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-admits-was-wrong-play-penalty

Whawhawhat????  No way.

FWIW, I was watching a TV that I couldnt hear at  lunch but Steven A. Smith is apparently "disgusted" by the Jets victory.

Disgusted?  lol

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/patriots-lose-on-the-most-rigged-ridiculous-call-in-the-history-of-professional-sports-the-nfl-should-be-embarrassed/

There are bad calls and then there calls that are so bad they ruin the credibility of the entire league.  That’s what this was.  I just refuse to believe a professional ref could make that call unless he had the Jets moneyline.   Seriously that wasn’t a bad call.  That was cheating plain and simple.  No other way to describe it.  I felt like I was watching Blue Chips or something.   In 35 years of watching sports by far the most blatant fixed call I’ve ever seen in my life.   Pushing?   Is that just something that ref made up?  I’ve watched this play 1,000 times already and I still don’t even know who he pushed?  He literally did nothing.  Unreal.  I was gonna blame this game on Brady making too many mistakes and letting the Jets back into it with that pick 6, but the facts are if the refs didn’t cheat we still win that game.  I think even the biggest Jets fan knows that was a disgrace to football.   If Roger Goodell has any shred of dignity or wants to maintain the integrity of the NFL he won’t count that victory.   You can’t.   Not if you want people to take the league seriously anymore.

I love this stuff. lol

Did this idiot see the OPI?

The Tuck Rule is the most blatant fix job of all time, and 2nd is Bellicheat taping the Rams' walkthru before the 2002 Super Bowl.

Jones admitted that she shoved his team mate into the the formation in violation of the rule and Belichick took the blame today for not coaching it properly.

Blatant violation of the rule and player and coach admit to it. Open and shut case. Dont understand how anyone can say its a bad call. Say the rule is dumb all you want but a clear violation is a clear violation.

Report: Jets Were On To Patriots’ Field Goal Push Long Before OT Kick

Rex Plays It Close To The Vest, Says He's Aware Of 'Opponents' Tendencies'

October 21, 2013 3:40 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — What did they know? When did they know it? And who did they tell?

Almost sounds like Washington politics, doesn’t it?

No, this is about the Jets and the Patriots and the penalty heard around the world.

The rhetoric heated up on Monday when the NFL Network’s Albert Breer reported via Twitter that the Jets knew for some time that the Patriots like to push teammates to create a defensive line surge on field goal attempts. something that is clearly stated to be illegal in the NFL rulebook, but is a call that is rarely, if ever, made by officiating crews.

But the back judge on Sunday did make the call — an unsportsmanlike penalty against the Patriots in overtime after Nick Folk had missed a 56-yard field goal. The call proved to be costly for New England as Folk eventually booted a 42-yarder, giving the Jets a 30-27 victory.

What followed was Patriots coaches, players and fans screaming bloody murder and Jets supporters saying a rule is a rule, no matter how obscure.

On Monday, Jets head coach Rex Ryan wouldn’t acknowledge whether or not he or anyone else on staff gave the officials the head’s up, but reiterated that, in his opinion, the call was the right call.

“It was a rule emphasis this year and it’s all about protecting the players….So was it an appropriate call? Yes,” Ryan said.

When asked if, while scouting the Patriots’ win over the New Orleans Saints the week before, anyone noticed a push on a field goal, Ryan said, “Let’s just put it this way: We watch every single play … We’re aware of opponents’ tendencies.”

Ryan said the Jets earned every bit of the victory, which pulled them within a game of the first-place Patriots in the AFC East.

“The focus is gonna be wherever you guys want it to be. But we outplayed New England — and that’s why we won the game,” Ryan said.

Yes today Belechick did admit that he was at fault for not properly instructing his players about the new rule. In the earlier attempt at a field goal Colon sid he heard the ref warning the Pats players about the rule and they still went ahead and did it anyway. The player who was flagged also admitted that he made the decision to do the pushing before the snap. So all the b.s from Steven Smith and the rest of those who are disgusted over the refs call need to get a f' in grip and pay attention to the whole story.

If having Belichick admit his error isn't enough to quiet them I don't know what else any of us should care about them being all bent out of shape over it. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander as the old saying goes.

Report: Jets Were On To Patriots’ Field Goal Push Long Before OT Kick

Rex Plays It Close To The Vest, Says He's Aware Of 'Opponents' Tendencies'

October 21, 2013 3:40 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — What did they know? When did they know it? And who did they tell?

Almost sounds like Washington politics, doesn’t it?

No, this is about the Jets and the Patriots and the penalty heard around the world.

The rhetoric heated up on Monday when the NFL Network’s Albert Breer reported via Twitter that the Jets knew for some time that the Patriots like to push teammates to create a defensive line surge on field goal attempts. something that is clearly stated to be illegal in the NFL rulebook, but is a call that is rarely, if ever, made by officiating crews.

But the back judge on Sunday did make the call — an unsportsmanlike penalty against the Patriots in overtime after Nick Folk had missed a 56-yard field goal. The call proved to be costly for New England as Folk eventually booted a 42-yarder, giving the Jets a 30-27 victory.

What followed was Patriots coaches, players and fans screaming bloody murder and Jets supporters saying a rule is a rule, no matter how obscure.

On Monday, Jets head coach Rex Ryan wouldn’t acknowledge whether or not he or anyone else on staff gave the officials the head’s up, but reiterated that, in his opinion, the call was the right call.

“It was a rule emphasis this year and it’s all about protecting the players….So was it an appropriate call? Yes,” Ryan said.

When asked if, while scouting the Patriots’ win over the New Orleans Saints the week before, anyone noticed a push on a field goal, Ryan said, “Let’s just put it this way: We watch every single play … We’re aware of opponents’ tendencies.”

Ryan said the Jets earned every bit of the victory, which pulled them within a game of the first-place Patriots in the AFC East.

“The focus is gonna be wherever you guys want it to be. But we outplayed New England — and that’s why we won the game,” Ryan said.

REX IS A ******* JEDI!!!!

Archived