Jets close to deal for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports "at least three teams" have contacted the Browns regarding a trade for Josh Gordon.

Per Schefter, two clubs have standing offers of a "high pick and a player." It's unclear if Schefter means one team has offered the high pick and the other has offered the player, or if both organizations have offered a high pick and a player each. For now, the Browns are "balking" at trade offers for arguably their best player. If Cleveland continues to lose games with Brandon Weeden under center, it may have to consider a deal for Gordon. The trade deadline is eight days away. Gordon will be a hot name for the next week.

Would prefer Jordan Cameron, less off the field baggage, just as much a playmaker

Cameron isn't being dangled.  They've been putting out feelers to see if anyone wants Gordon for weeks now.

Good thing about this, if it happens, is Gordon is under contract for 2 more years (in addition to the 2nd half of this year).  Given his background/history, you have to play wait & see with him before showing him the money.  But we have 12 picks next year.  Clearly all of them can't make the roster anyway.

Prefer this isn't a high pick for him, though that's pretty vague.  A "high" pick isn't necessarily a first (or they'd likely call it a 1st).  But it probably means it isn't a 3rd rounder as I think most call that a mid-round pick.

If it's a 3rd, I'm all for it (we should have 2 of them anyway, and Gordon can step right in with no 2-3 year break-in period). A 2nd is hard to say given his history.  If not for his being a complete jackass and 1 offense away from a 4+ game suspension, talent-wise he's probably worth a 2nd.

Prefer this isn't a high pick for him, though that's pretty vague.  A "high" pick isn't necessarily a first (or they'd likely call it a 1st).  But it probably means it isn't a 3rd rounder as I think most call that a mid-round pick.

If it's a 3rd, I'm all for it (we should have 2 of them anyway, and Gordon can step right in with no 2-3 year break-in period). A 2nd is hard to say given his history.  If not for his being a complete jackass and 1 offense away from a 4+ game suspension, talent-wise he's probably worth a 2nd.

Agreed maybe Holmes injury is worse than expected or maybe Idzik is tired of watching Hill continue to struggle.

I just googled him,.he's a college kid who writes for incarcerated bobs website,.not kidding,..prob a false alarm here.

To be fair he doesn't write for Bob anymore, and just called him as close to a fake as there is on twitter. Take if for what you will. Also saying the original offer was a 3rd, and a 5th, but it sounds like the Jets have to move to a 2nd if the deal gets done.

Agreed maybe Holmes injury is worse than expected or maybe Idzik is tired of watching Hill continue to struggle.

The loss of Holmes has been no loss.  They need someone else, but not him.  Hill was always going to be somewhat of a project. He was drafted for long-term potential, not immediate impact.  He's one of those guys you really have to give a few years before you decide he'll never be anything.  Well, rookie contracts are for 4 years.  Plenty of time.  

But as for Gordon, whether it's him or someone else, the Jets need someone else. While a round 1 WR is great in theory, we don't know today who will be considered a great pick when we pick (nor do we know where we'll be picking).  And there aren't too many 1st round WRs who are studs - or even reliable - as rookies.

Also don't discount that we get to use him right now AND that he's dirt-cheap for the rest of this year and for each of the next 2 seasons.  We have plenty of draft picks and this won't stop us from signing anyone of significance in March.  

But a 2nd rounder, if that's the top pick, makes me nervous.  Also curious (if there's any truth to the rumor in the first place) what the "other" pick is.  If it's a 4th, then that's too much.  A 2nd and a 4th is a LOT to give up for a guy already on the commissioner's sh*t list.  A 2nd and a 6th? I could live with that.  If he's productive and stays out of trouble, then I won't care much anyway.

Also keep in mind more likely than not this is still 100% bullsh*t.

Archived