Jets close to deal for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

Revis never said he can't play on an island...not sure where you got that from.

Revis said that his knee isn't even close to 100%, that the explosion isn't there consistently and that has limited his ability to play press coverage. Pretty clear that even if he were here, he wouldn't be the same guy. He's getting paid for what he did in 2009, something he hasn't come close to repeating even when he was healthy.  Giving him $16 million is one of the worst contracts in recent memory. 

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What gives me hope with Idzik is that it seems his priority is to draft experienced, accomplished guys who live for the game. Translation: no more Gholstons or Stephen Hills.

Which is great, but that's also how you get boar-hunters.  For what it's worth, Hill seems to have a pretty awesome work ethic and there were rumors last year that he was vomiting before, during halftime and after the Buffalo game where he went off for 84 yards and 2 tds, so he's not just some light-in-the-loafers track start cashing a check.  I have faith in Idzik, but it's based solely on his business-like approach and that he seems to lean on people more than Tanny did. The jury is still out on his talent evaluation or the ability to rely on his staff, but hopefully he's a good one.

#32 pick. Duh.

The irony is if we pick late enough, maybe it convinces the team we don't need to draft a pass-catcher.

Seriously, though, the team is not doomed because they didn't make a deal for Gordon this week. Truth is, whatever deal they could have made in October can also be made in March or April fi the team wants him that badly.

Obviously there are other WRs to be had through the draft. That list that JoeKlecko posted was horrible (no offense to him; the list is the list). I didn't see any #1 WRs in there except Nicks who is the epitome of unreliability (both in health and hands).

There are question marks about draft picks and question marks about someone who likes extracurricular activities the league frowns upon. At least the question marks on the latter don't include "Will he be elite as an NCAA-level talent only?" We're going to go the former route, it would seem, to find that "it" guy pass-catcher (whether at WR or TE). The list had some #2 types that were ok that we wouldn't have to break the bank on. We have PLENTY of cap room; I just hate throwing around #1 money at a #2 type.

The only exception might be Decker, but I still wouldn't give him #1 money before showing he can be a #1 WR. He's had Thomas opposite him for 3 years, Welker AND Thomas this current season, and for this year & last year Peyton Manning has been throwing him the ball. His hands have also been suspect. That doesn't mean he can't be a true #1; it just means he hasn't been one yet because he hasn't had to be one yet.

I'm leery of throwing #1 money at a guy who has never been one yet. Let someone else throw #1 money at Peerless Price (or Santonio Holmes for that matter).

Really hope Geno can be the man. Makes all the other pieces to the puzzle fall into place so much easier.

Which is great, but that's also how you get boar-hunters. For what it's worth, Hill seems to have a pretty awesome work ethic and there were rumors last year that he was vomiting before, during halftime and after the Buffalo game where he went off for 84 yards and 2 tds, so he's not just some light-in-the-loafers track start cashing a check. I have faith in Idzik, but it's based solely on his business-like approach and that he seems to lean on people more than Tanny did. The jury is still out on his talent evaluation or the ability to rely on his staff, but hopefully he's a good one.

I don't mean to rip on Hill. He seems like a great kid and a worthwhile project, and I've said for awhile that if he pans out soon, the rebuild will have a huge piece added to it. He scares you with his awkwardness and obvious ignorance to the nuances of the game. It'd be nice to get him a mentor that isn't a gimpy, mutinous psychopath.

I don't mean to rip on Hill. He seems like a great kid and a worthwhile project, and I've said for awhile that if he pans out soon, the rebuild will have a huge piece added to it. He scares you with his awkwardness and obvious ignorance to the nuances of the game. It'd be nice to get him a mentor that isn't a gimpy, mutinous psychopath.

Such a leader of men. Real captain. Dude's such a waste of talent. What bothers me the most is that he could actually be really helping out Geno's development if we had 2008/2009 Holmes on the team as he'd be drawing the doubles and allowing Hill, Kerley and Nelson to slide into a more natural supporting role. He'd probably put up his best numbers since he's been here, as his skills were totally wasted with someone as inaccurate as Sanchez.

The problem with many things these days and especially in the NFL,  projects just aren't worth it anymore.  Nobody has 3-5 years to rebuild.  And if you take that long, some of your former top picks start demanding big contracts.     Having a couple of these guys on a decent enough team is one thing, having a lot of "work in progress" guys just means you keep rehashing the same crap year after year.  And it's why teams like the Jets are always in the 8-8 range.   Never terrible, never really that good.  

And finding cheap "diamonds in the rough" is a crap shoot and usually doesn't work. You just hope you get lucky.  Like Idzik and his injury prone signings this year.  On a decent team, you deal with that if one of those guys is good.  On a team like the Jets,  you really cant' afford a bunch of players who can't even stay healthy just hoping one of them catches fire.

The problem with many things these days and especially in the NFL,  projects just aren't worth it anymore.  Nobody has 3-5 years to rebuild.  And if you take that long, some of your former top picks start demanding big contracts.     Having a couple of these guys on a decent enough team is one thing, having a lot of "work in progress" guys just means you keep rehashing the same crap year after year.  And it's why teams like the Jets are always in the 8-8 range.   Never terrible, never really that good.  

And finding cheap "diamonds in the rough" is a crap shoot and usually doesn't work. You just hope you get lucky.  Like Idzik and his injury prone signings this year.  On a decent team, you deal with that if one of those guys is good.  On a team like the Jets,  you really cant' afford a bunch of players who can't even stay healthy just hoping one of them catches fire.

You have a point, but every team has to do that both because of the salary cap and because they don't have that many high draft picks. Lower round draft picks are much less likely to pan out and about as many UDFAs wind up becoming NFL players as low-round draft picks.  Even the high ones are a crap shoot.  I saw an article a number of years ago about the two deeps (1st & 2nd stringers) at every position on every NFL team.  It was VERY surprising how many UDFAs were starters or the first guy off the bench and at some positions, more UDFAs had made it than 2nd or 3rd round draft picks.

Archived