Jets close to deal for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we still close to a deal for Josh Gordon? lol

I told everyone yesterday, my sources are saying the Browns never really intended to trade him unless a ridiculous unrealistic offer came through. Lombardi is a boob.  He thought he'd get a #1.

If you search "Josh Gordon" on Twitter, there are about 5 teams that are "locks" to get Gordon.

But Joe willy 12 said it's true, so I believe it.  Here's some proof

Jets add another former Patriot, sort of

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 23, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT

APTOPIX Giants Patriots Football

AP

While the 49ers and Seahawks drew attention by picking through each other’s scraps this offseason, the Jets and Patriots have been doing it for years.

The Jets made the latest move, though it’s a bit of an unusual one.

The Jets announced they signed former Patriots cornerback Ras-I Dowling to their practice squad.

That a former second-round pick (33rd overall in 2011) was released so quickly speaks to his career arc. The fact he’s still eligible for a practice squad is somewhat amazing, since it means he was never active for nine games in a season.

Injuries were a factor before he was drafted, and continued through both his seasons with the Patriots (both of which ended on IR).

If he’s well, there’s obviously talent there to be developed. And at $6,000 a week, it’s worth a shot.

This is actually a very interesting pick up.  I liked this kid in the draft.   Think the Jets may be thinking of him as a safety.   

DB17 RAS-I DOWLING DB  VIRGINIA
2495147.jpg

fb-like.png
share-button.png

GRADE 6.69?
  • 4.46 SEC
  • 19 REPS
  • 6'1"HEIGHT
  • 31"ARM LENGTH
  • 198LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 1/2"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Dowling entered the 2010 season as one of the nation's top cornerbacks, but after playing in only five games due to injury, his draft stock may have taken a hit. He is a monster of a cornerback who seeks out contact in run support and is a sound tackler. He really excels in zone coverage with terrific instincts and has the ball skills to make plays on underneath routes. He does not have the recovery speed to play in a man-heavy scheme at the next level, but he should be a good fit in a Tampa 2 system. A potential first-round pick before the season, Dowling still likely will be a second-round pick.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS

Dowling has safety size and adequate speed. Very confident kid that reads quickly and shows the ability to jump routes in zone coverage. Presses effectively at the line and displays very good footwork. Big hitter that likes to mix it up in run support and consistently wraps the ball carrier.

WEAKNESSES  Lacks elite recovery speed and will struggle against real burners in the NFL. A bit stiff in the hips and does not show the ability to stick with receivers in and out of their breaks. Rarely looks back at the ball in man coverage which limits his more than adequate balls skills. Missed most of his senior season with an ankle injury.

The way I see it, it all depends on what picks. Very rarely are draft picks locks to be stars anymore in my opinion, this is the case in the 1st round, but much more so in the later rounds. And when it comes to someone we expect to be a very good receiver if he joins the team, Josh Gordon has at least proven he can play in the NFL, if we decided to draft a receiver with the highest pick we give up for him, there isn't that guarantee that that receiver would translate well into the NFL game. The way I see it, Holmes won't be on this team in 2014, our WRs will be Hill, Kerley, possibly Nelson.. maybe Gordon takes Holmes' spot and is an upgrade with less drama (hopefully).

Very few rookie receivers make a big impact no matter where they are drafted. We want to begin contending next year. We need proven young talent at the wideout spot. I would definitely trade for Gordon/Blackmon(I would trade a one for Blackmon) if the price is right. Certainly not a one though. Look at all the so called great WRs drafted in recent years. These guys take 2 to 3 years to hit their stride if they ever do. Bring in a proven commodity and draft another high end WR and/or TE. Let's get Jimmy Graham and call it a day.

AJ Green

Justin Blackmon (why wouldn't you trade a high pick for him? He has proven to be a big weapon)

Michael Crabtree

Julio Jones

Michael Floyd

Golden Tate

Cordarelle Patterson

Tavon Austin

Eric Decker

And many more

You may be right.  But it doesn't matter because no one's picking him up at $16M per (except maybe Tampa again, and even that's only because they gave up the picks for him).  And it also doesn't change that if Revis has a handshake deal to re-sign after 24 hours he'll do it.  If he pisses TB off by negotiating with others, they may rescind the offer and now his top offer will be $3-6M less.

It's a safe bet for Tampa to get him re-signed a day later.  Worst case scenario they don't re-sign a $16M cornerback because someone else swoops in to grab him.

In other words, I'm not banking on that pick being a 3rd until it's a done deal.

There's one thing you're not considering:  this is Darelle Revis we're talking about.  Sure, it's highly unlikely that another team would offer him a deal that would give him $16 million / year for the life of the contract, but has he ever really shown that he gives a crap about the overall value of the contract?  Consider what would happen if another team was willing to commit the kind of money up front that TB isn't willing to, via a signing bonus, and that bonus money combined with his base salary gets him more paid than $16 million in 2014.  Do you really think that he wouldn't jump at that offer in a second, with the intention of never actually honoring the entirety of the contract once it would be paying him less than he thinks he deserves?  He made it crystal clear that was his exact intention as soon as he signed his last Jets contract and it only didn't happen due to a combination of his injuries and the trade.

Revis is the last player in the NFL who can be even slightly trusted in any sort of negotiations and TB doing so would be pure idiocy.  Of course that doesn't mean they won't try, it simply means it would be far from guaranteed to work, even if they saw themselves as the supposed "highest bidder".

IDK

I watch quite a bit of TB. It's hard to rate him in the cover 2, but in all honesty he just hasn't shown the same burst as before.

Doubtful he's 100%. Saw PFF still had him in the top 5 as a cover corner on the year. Schiano's such a putz. He let Harry Douglas abuse a rookie instead of having Revis shadow him.

Revis can't hurt you anymore.

(He's actually playing better than you guys are giving him credit for)

But, they're 0-6, which kind of proves just about everyone's point about the relative worth of a CB.  Regardless of his level of play, I can't see that not hurting him in contract negotiations.

But, they're 0-6, which kind of proves just about everyone's point about the relative worth of a CB. Regardless of his level of play, I can't see that not hurting him in contract negotiations.

Yeah he's not worth 16 mill. I don't even like Revis, but he's a hell of a football player. Schiano is embarrassingly awful. No idea how he's still there.

But, they're 0-6, which kind of proves just about everyone's point about the relative worth of a CB.  Regardless of his level of play, I can't see that not hurting him in contract negotiations.

They'll win 2 eventually: I know that because Bit told me that the best corner in football is good for at least that on his own, so they'll be a comin'. 

Dont Do it

draft a cheaper better player 2014

Cheaper than this?

7/16/2012: Signed a four-year, $5.342 million contract. The deal contains $3.8 million guaranteed -- a $2.324 million signing bonus, Gordon's first two base salaries, and $380,000 of his third-year salary. 2013: $632,802, 2014: $825,604 (+ $50,000 workout bonus), 2015: $1,068,406 (+ $50,000 workout bonus), 2016: Free Agent

Cheaper than this?

7/16/2012: Signed a four-year, $5.342 million contract. The deal contains $3.8 million guaranteed -- a $2.324 million signing bonus, Gordon's first two base salaries, and $380,000 of his third-year salary. 2013: $632,802, 2014: $825,604 (+ $50,000 workout bonus), 2015: $1,068,406 (+ $50,000 workout bonus), 2016: Free Agent

You do know that this guy could very well be one minor infraction from a mandatory 1-year suspension.  There is speculation that he is already at Stage 3 of the NFL's substance abuse program.  If he is not at Stage 3 now, he is not far from it.  Reliability and availability play a big part in the risk/reward equation.  Giving up picks for a player who sits is expensive.

You do know that this guy could very well be one minor infraction from a mandatory 1-year suspension.  There is speculation that he is already at Stage 3 of the NFL's substance abuse program.  If he is not at Stage 3 now, he is not far from it.  Reliability and availability play a big part in the risk/reward equation.  Giving up picks for a player who sits is expensive.

I would take my chances, he doesn't seem to have an attitude problem the way Santonio does and he realizes he's one **** up away from being out of the league. That being said I've got a hard on for the guy and drafted him in every fantasy league I'm in so I might be a bit bias. I wanted to get him after they traded Trent Edwards and I thought they where tanking away the season but I think his play might have priced him out of reasonable range. Receiver is the one position I don't mind giving up picks for cause trying to draft one is a nightmare and usually a waiting game

I would take my chances, he doesn't seem to have an attitude problem the way Santonio does and he realizes he's one **** up away from being out of the league. That being said I've got a hard on for the guy and drafted him in every fantasy league I'm in so I might be a bit bias. I wanted to get him after they traded Trent Edwards and I thought they where tanking away the season but I think his play might have priced him out of reasonable range. Receiver is the one position I don't mind giving up picks for cause trying to draft one is a nightmare and usually a waiting game

Then you better hope his piss is perfectly clean and undiluted.  He's good, but not good enough to take that risk unless you literally get him for nothing.

Will his suspension cost us money? I thought that was what I was responding to. But I could be wrong about what I was writing about.

(this reads more bitchy than the way it sounds in my head)

Archived