Jets close to deal for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would take my chances, he doesn't seem to have an attitude problem the way Santonio does and he realizes he's one **** up away from being out of the league. That being said I've got a hard on for the guy and drafted him in every fantasy league I'm in so I might be a bit bias. I wanted to get him after they traded Trent Edwards and I thought they where tanking away the season but I think his play might have priced him out of reasonable range. Receiver is the one position I don't mind giving up picks for cause trying to draft one is a nightmare and usually a waiting game

Wrong Trent, bra. 

Will his suspension cost us money? I thought that was what I was responding to. But I could be wrong about what I was writing about.

I was referring to the overall cost.  The cost of acquiring him (picks), paying him and not having him available.  The "royal" cost, beyond just simple salary.  I'd rather pay a quality draft pick without known issues and a 1 year suspension hanging over his head.   

I was referring to the overall cost.  The cost of acquiring him (picks), paying him and not having him available.  The "royal" cost, beyond just simple salary.  I'd rather pay a quality draft pick without known issues and a 1 year suspension hanging over his head.   

I agree.  Gordon may be a monster talent, but if we think Idzik has been killed so far for Garrard, Goodson, Ivory, etc., if the Jets give up multiple picks and a player, then Gordon gets suspended for the entire 2014 season, his head may be on the chopping block and the Jets will be back to being a circus.  If they are seriously considering trading for or are already negotiating for Gordon, they'd darned well better do their due diligence and then some, as well as include some kind of language that if Gordon gets suspended, the pick(s) they give Cleveland in the trade change from whatever their present round is to a round or two lower.

I agree.  Gordon may be a monster talent, but if we think Idzik has been killed so far for Garrard, Goodson, Ivory, etc., if the Jets give up multiple picks and a player, then Gordon gets suspended for the entire 2014 season, his head may be on the chopping block and the Jets will be back to being a circus.  If they are seriously considering trading for or are already negotiating for Gordon, they'd darned well better do their due diligence and then some, as well as include some kind of language that if Gordon gets suspended, the pick(s) they give Cleveland in the trade change from whatever their present round is to a round or two lower.

Yep.   Depending on where the Jets are picking,  they could use a pick(s) to maneuver and get a Watkins or Lee in the draft.  And then still  get one of the "second tier" WR's later (Matthews, Evans, Robinson) for rookie depth. 

Yep.   Depending on where the Jets are picking,  they could use a pick(s) to maneuver and get a Watkins or Lee in the draft.  And then still  get one of the "second tier" WR's later (Matthews, Evans, Robinson) for rookie depth. 

Im still liking a proven NFL WR vs a questionable draft pick WR. Jordan White,Scotty McKnight types aren't gonna do it for us.

FWIW this Nick Barlotta guy is still sticking to his prediction that Jets get this done. Would be interesting if it happens. Taking this with a grain of salt tho, not sure who the hell this guys sources are that no other major NFL reporter has any info on this. 

Im still liking a proven NFL WR vs a questionable draft pick WR. Jordan White,Scotty McKnight types aren't gonna do it for us.

All of the players mentioned are head and shoulder above those fringe guys.  Watkins and Lee are as pro-ready as it gets.  As usual, you are clueless.

Not sure if this guy is just throwing sh*t at the wall to see what sticks but who knows.

[/quote

This Nick guy learned well from incarcerated bob,..he sees the jets signed a practice squad corner so now he's guessing Wilson is traded,..which won't happen...this is the same stuff Bob does.

Cheaper than this?

7/16/2012: Signed a four-year, $5.342 million contract. The deal contains $3.8 million guaranteed -- a $2.324 million signing bonus, Gordon's first two base salaries, and $380,000 of his third-year salary. 2013: $632,802, 2014: $825,604 (+ $50,000 workout bonus), 2015: $1,068,406 (+ $50,000 workout bonus), 2016: Free Agent

If u going to buy a receiver just buy one of the free agents next season. Draft another receiver in 1sr or 2nd round and use the rest of picks to fill the many other holes on team

Yep. Depending on where the Jets are picking, they could use a pick(s) to maneuver and get a Watkins or Lee in the draft. And then still get one of the "second tier" WR's later (Matthews, Evans, Robinson) for rookie depth.

Word, you've gotta draft safe, no-nonsense, high-character guys like Sammy Wat--

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/05/reports-clemsons-sammy-watkins-arrested-for-unknown-reason/1#.UmjpFWS9Kc0

Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins was arrested early Friday morning. According to the Clemson University Police, Watkins was charged with possession of a controlled substance and simple possession of marijuana, which are both misdemeanors.

All of the players mentioned are head and shoulder above those fringe guys.  Watkins and Lee are as pro-ready as it gets.  As usual, you are clueless.

Are they?  Justin Blackmon took awhile to get going the same was said for him. Are you a professional proven talent scout? 

If u going to buy a receiver just buy one of the free agents next season. Draft another receiver in 1sr or 2nd round and use the rest of picks to fill the many other holes on team

I'd rather not sign too many UFA's who force us to give up 2015 Draft picks via compensation.  Nor does Idzik, I imagine.  Also, Idzik drafts BPA and uses Free Agency to fill needs, not the other way around.  So unless that BPA is a WR when we pick, we aren't reaching for one.

Making a move for a young WR right now at the right price is not a bad move, especially if we're trying to turn this 4-3 start into a postseason appearance.  The "we aren't winning anything this year, so just stay as is" argument just doesn't hold up at the moment. 

I'd rather not sign too many UFA's who force us to give up 2015 Draft picks via compensation.  Nor does Idzik, I imagine.  Also, Idzik drafts BPA and uses Free Agency to fill needs, not the other way around.  So unless that BPA is a WR when we pick, we aren't reaching for one.

This isn't baseball, you don't give up picks.  The league awards supplemental picks.

This isn't baseball, you don't give up picks.  The league awards supplemental picks.

I think he means we'd be forgoing an otherwise-awarded supplemental pick by signing an unrestricted free agent.

We signed a lot of guys to 1-year deals this offseason, so he'd be right if they get picked up elsewhere for more than the vet minimum.  I don't know that it will be a factor next year. 

I think he means we'd be forgoing an otherwise-awarded supplemental pick by signing an unrestricted free agent.

We signed a lot of guys to 1-year deals this offseason, so he'd be right if they get picked up elsewhere for more than the vet minimum.  I don't know that it will be a factor next year.

With our salary cap situation, anyone of quality will be retained.

With this type of cap room and enough positions that need improving, I don't see Idzik sitting on his hands.  The only players we have of significance - players who stand a decent chance at getting paid more than the veteran minimum - that have expiring contracts this year:

Austin Howard

Willie Colon

Jeff Cumberland

I'm not bypassing any outright studs or obvious upgrades in March because of bypassing the 6th-7th round picks (in 2015) we'll get for doing nothing.  I can see it in a year where there are 4 picks between rounds 4-6, and truly don't want to re-sign the players that you're letting go (at the money it would take to keep them).  But not for 3 picks that have the upside of two 6ths and a 7th at best.  

I could see Howard getting a contract that yields a 6th round pick maybe, but Colon isn't (good chance he gets another vet min deal which yields nothing), and Cumberland probably isn't getting a 6th-round-worthy FA deal either.  And that's only if we let all 3 of them go in the first place and THEN also bypass picking up free agents. 

With our salary cap situation, anyone of quality will be retained.

I agree.  Last year was different because the "quality" guys were either players the team didn't want back, didn't want back at the going rate for them, or both.  Any 1 player we could have retained; we had enough cap room for that.  But did the Jets really want to fork over $6M for Landry (and bypass the 4th rounder we'll get)? He's probably the only borderline one, but his injury history says the risk may have been too high.  Heavy hitter but not exactly a stud in coverage anyway.  Keller? Had better numbers than his play indicated.  Greene was a no-brainer to not match.  And for some reason I'm forgetting the 4th guy.

But if we want to bring back Colon or Howard or Cumberland (or all of them), we'll bring them back.  None, except maybe Howard, would get enough of a bonus to make them uncuttable if we find ourselves with someone better by May-August.

Can you imagine if this team actually does make a playoff run of some kind? Combined with this offseason of cap space being available and we could seriously be looking at a true contender. I know I'm getting ahead of myself and all of this is dependent upon Geno being the real deal but its still fun to think about!

I agree.  Last year was different because the "quality" guys were either players the team didn't want back, didn't want back at the going rate for them, or both.  Any 1 player we could have retained; we had enough cap room for that.  But did the Jets really want to fork over $6M for Landry (and bypass the 4th rounder we'll get)? He's probably the only borderline one, but his injury history says the risk may have been too high.  Heavy hitter but not exactly a stud in coverage anyway.  Keller? Had better numbers than his play indicated.  Greene was a no-brainer to not match.  And for some reason I'm forgetting the 4th guy.

But if we want to bring back Colon or Howard or Cumberland (or all of them), we'll bring them back.  None, except maybe Howard, would get enough of a bonus to make them uncuttable if we find ourselves with someone better by May-August.

Definitely agree with you on this, and you can add both DeVito and Slauson onto the list of guys the Jets could be getting comp picks for as well.  The Jets will probably make an effort to retain all 3 of those guys this coming offseason, considering none of them will likely cost a significant amount anyway and the Jets certainly have the money to spend.  Plus, even if one of them did leave, like you said the compensation for any of these guys isn't at the level that would make it worthwhile to bypass the signing of an UFA for it.  This past offseason was obviously a completely different situation than normal, with some high potential in the picks that could be gotten and the Jets having very little money to play with to begin with (and clearly saving some of what they did have for the upcoming hit of the Revis trade).  If the Jets were simply going to be signing low-dollar vets on one-year deals anyway, then it made sense for them to approach it the way they did.  No reason to think this is how the Jets will proceed with business on a year-to-year basis.

With this type of cap room and enough positions that need improving, I don't see Idzik sitting on his hands.  The only players we have of significance - players who stand a decent chance at getting paid more than the veteran minimum - that have expiring contracts this year:

Austin Howard

Willie Colon

Jeff Cumberland

I'm not bypassing any outright studs or obvious upgrades in March because of bypassing the 6th-7th round picks (in 2015) we'll get for doing nothing.  I can see it in a year where there are 4 picks between rounds 4-6, and truly don't want to re-sign the players that you're letting go (at the money it would take to keep them).  But not for 3 picks that have the upside of two 6ths and a 7th at best.  

I could see Howard getting a contract that yields a 6th round pick maybe, but Colon isn't (good chance he gets another vet min deal which yields nothing), and Cumberland probably isn't getting a 6th-round-worthy FA deal either.  And that's only if we let all 3 of them go in the first place and THEN also bypass picking up free agents. 

For some reason I thought Colon was a 2 year deal.  did he really sign a 1 year contract with us?

Archived