Jets close to deal for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be stunned if this goes down.

Idzik just doesn't seem to be the type GM who is going to risk future high draft picks on a guy who probably isn't going to finish his contract with out being busted, and bring embarrassment to the franchise.

He brought in Ivory and Goodson, both of whom came with significant question marks. Likewise, if you look at Seattle's pickups the last few years, they didn't seem overly concerned about taking risks on a few guys.

I'll be stunned if this goes down.

Idzik just doesn't seem to be the type GM who is going to risk future high draft picks on a guy who probably isn't going to finish his contract with out being busted, and bring embarrassment to the franchise.

I would be surprised to. The only way this goes down is if he really believes they can do something this year.

It would show his mentality has shifted to trying to win now rather than worry solely about 2014. If he can do it without completely killing our draft next year then I'm all for it.

He brought in Ivory and Goodson, both of whom came with significant question marks. Likewise, if you look at Seattle's pickups the last few years, they didn't seem overly concerned about taking risks on a few guys.

That's a really good point. Someone with Gordon's talent, age and cap number - but no baggage would garner a lot more in compensation. Idzik likes buying low and selling high.

That's a great theory if the player in question is not very marketable or has an intense sense of loyalty to the organization who looks to manipulate the system, however neither applies here.  Can you imagine the conversation?  Darrelle, we want to cut you so we can save 30 some odd spots with our mid round pick next year.  We still want you with the team, though.  Yeah, that will work.....not.

Who's outbidding Tampa for Revis if they try to pull the maneuver? What is their actual risk?

Who's outbidding Tampa for Revis if they try to pull the maneuver? What is their actual risk?

Wouldnt he have to pass waivers though given he has years left on his contract? If so, and the Jets have Sanchez and Holmes off the books, what is stopping the Jets from putting in a claim? Also wondering the risk.

yes he did, but neither of these guys had been in any real trouble before.  Even Goodson, As far as I know was clean before he got here.  Their concerns were injury, and not much was given up for them.  A 4th for Ivory, mid rounder on a guy with good potential.   Probably not a guy who lmight explode in an embarrassing incident.

If they are involved in this, and I'm not sure they are, the offer might be Coples, and our 3rd?

I wouldn't pay it, and hope Idzik doesn't either.  Kid seems to be to self destructive 

Wouldnt he have to pass waivers though given he has years left on his contract? If so, and the Jets have Sanchez and Holmes off the books, what is stopping the Jets from putting in a claim? Also wondering the risk.

The same thing that I suspect would stop 30 other teams from putting in a claim; his $16M/year contract.

The Raiders, Colts, Bears, Redskins and the Jets all have copious cap space in 2014. If the Bucs screw around, any one of this teams could sweep in and offer some guaranteed money, as opposed to the cash-only deal Revis is on right now. It won't be $16 mil per, but the security might appeal. Revis as a UFA will draw a lot more suitors than Revis as an expensive trade target. How awesome would it be if the Bucs tried to game Revis by cutting him for a week, only to have him re-sign with the Jets?

yes he did, but neither of these guys had been in any real trouble before. Even Goodson, As far as I know was clean before he got here. Their concerns were injury, and not much was given up for them. A 4th for Ivory, mid rounder on a guy with good potential. Probably not a guy who lmight explode in an embarrassing incident.

If they are involved in this, and I'm not sure they are, the offer might be Coples, and our 3rd?

I wouldn't pay it, and hope Idzik doesn't either. Kid seems to be to self destructive

I believe the rumored Jets offer is picks only, though trading Coples--who's a spare part right now--for a high-end skill position player would be interesting.

As far as imploding, who knows? Look at Brandon Marshall--that guy was as bad is it gets off the field and he's cleaned up nice in Chicago.

IIRC, Revis is essentially on a year-to-year deal that pays him $16 mil to be on the roster on opening day. No guarantees. If the Bucs cut him, he's a UFA.

This guy is in his what..fourth year and we are just hearing about him? I wouldn't go higher than a fourth for him. Nelson, Hill and Kerley seem to be meshing nicely and if Holmes comes back it can only make it better. Gordon is ok, but I wouldn't go all in for him.

This guy is in his what..fourth year and we are just hearing about him? I wouldn't go higher than a fourth for him. Nelson, Hill and Kerley seem to be meshing nicely and if Holmes comes back it can only make it better. Gordon is ok, but I wouldn't go all in for him.

2nd year and hes 22.

This would be awesome if it happens. Sounds like Cleveland wants to wait until the last minute so they can get the best possible deal for him. Its hard to even be mad about giving up a 2nd for him because he is so young and talented. If he was in the draft this year he would be a top 10 pick, easy.

Not really, with his baggage, he an incident away from being suspended for the whole year, he would probably be a third round just like the honey badger whose rap sheet prevented him from being a top 10.

I would rather hang on to our draft choices than make this possible trade-

Plenty of assets for trading up (if necessary) to snag a Lee, Watkins or Evans with those picks, and none are likely to go at the very top side of the draft anyway.

His team friendly deal with no guaranteed money would change awful quick.  If Denver, Seattle, San Fran or something like that offered 80 cents on the dollar to the Tampa offer, but more guaranteed money, he's a goner and for what?  30 spots in the draft?

His team friendly deal with no guaranteed money would change awful quick.  If Denver, Seattle, San Fran or something like that offered 80 cents on the dollar to the Tampa offer, but more guaranteed money, he's a goner and for what?  30 spots in the draft?

This is true

Plus they wouldn't have to give up any draft compensation.  Teams close to the prize might be willing to pay the man.   If the Browns still want him, this would be a very risky maneuver.  

I think the odds are good that there is a total house cleaning in Tampa, and Revis is released.  The New GM wouldn't care about the compesation.

Wouldn't that be something.  Richardson, Tampa's 4th, and Revis for 10-12 million.   Not likely, but ya never know

Just a guess but I have a feeling Lee and Evans or at least one of the two will run bad and drop.

Yep, the combine can change things in a hurry.  It's early, but Lee, Evans and Watkins are the only three "consensus" first rounders.  Robinson and Matthews could be on the cusp of round 1, if there is a run on WR's (which I doubt) --  but most likely these two have a 2nd round ceiling.  There will be a quality prospect there for us.  This wouldn't preclude grabbing Gordon for nothing more than a 3rd, though.  Between injuries, the learning curve and bust factor, we should be stockpiling WR's without breaking the bank.

I think the odds are good that there is a total house cleaning in Tampa, and Revis is released.  The New GM wouldn't care about the compesation.

If Revis is released, it will be because of a philosphy change within the organization, most likely brought on by a new man in charge, not because they are trying to recoup 30 spots in the draft.  If a change is made at GM, I can't imagine it will take place by the 3rd league day in March, but who knows.

Browns fan here... I've watched every snap of Gordon, most on coaches film, and I can tell you that at least football wise, the guy is easily worth a top 10 overall pick. His hands are not outstanding (not bad overall) and he's not one of those guys that goes up and takes the ball away from 3 defenders like Calvin Johnson. But outside of that, he is Calvin Johnson. He's one of those rare guys that looks like he's moving 3/4 speed all the time, but he's cruising past fast corners. He gets tons of room on slants because they are scared to death of him. He restructures the defense. The QB play in Cleveland has been as bad as anywhere in the league the entire time he's been here, that's the only reason he isn't putting up insane numbers. Folks thinking this gets done with a couple 3rd's or a second-- the ONLY way that happens is if the Browns already believe he's headed for a year off.  Just with the between the lines stuff, and considering he's already developed nicely out of his rookie year and has all of his rookie (2nd round) contract left, easily worth a top 10. Figure the purple drank discount from that, but figure in that he seems to be a good locker room and press guy which is fairly rare for a real #1WR.

Just chiming in so you guys don't hang yourself if you end up giving a first. I think whatever WR you would draft with that next year would have less potential and just as much risk. 

--and just so you don't think I'm a Cleveland guy overvaluing our own talent, I would have taken a 3rd or even 4th for Trent Richardson, who is physically talented but simply has no understanding of what NFL holes are. 

Seriously..? Lol pay attention

Browns fan here... I've watched every snap of Gordon, most on coaches film, and I can tell you that at least football wise, the guy is easily worth a top 10 overall pick. His hands are not outstanding (not bad overall) and he's not one of those guys that goes up and takes the ball away from 3 defenders like Calvin Johnson. But outside of that, he is Calvin Johnson. He's one of those rare guys that looks like he's moving 3/4 speed all the time, but he's cruising past fast corners. He gets tons of room on slants because they are scared to death of him. He restructures the defense. The QB play in Cleveland has been as bad as anywhere in the league the entire time he's been here, that's the only reason he isn't putting up insane numbers. Folks thinking this gets done with a couple 3rd's or a second-- the ONLY way that happens is if the Browns already believe he's headed for a year off.  Just with the between the lines stuff, and considering he's already developed nicely out of his rookie year and has all of his rookie (2nd round) contract left, easily worth a top 10. Figure the purple drank discount from that, but figure in that he seems to be a good locker room and press guy which is fairly rare for a real #1WR.

Just chiming in so you guys don't hang yourself if you end up giving a first. I think whatever WR you would draft with that next year would have less potential and just as much risk. 

--and just so you don't think I'm a Cleveland guy overvaluing our own talent, I would have taken a 3rd or even 4th for Trent Richardson, who is physically talented but simply has no understanding of what NFL holes are. 

Thanks for the informative inside skinny bro. Come back -  good info is always welcome at JN.  

Good to hear that but he is an incident away from being suspended for a year.  That is scary because it seen he can't stop smoking weed. 

Archived