Jets close to deal for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

According to my inside sources:

Browns fan here... I've watched every snap of Gordon, most on coaches film, and I can tell you that at least football wise, the guy is easily worth a top 10 overall pick. His hands are not outstanding (not bad overall) and he's not one of those guys that goes up and takes the ball away from 3 defenders like Calvin Johnson. But outside of that, he is Calvin Johnson. He's one of those rare guys that looks like he's moving 3/4 speed all the time, but he's cruising past fast corners. He gets tons of room on slants because they are scared to death of him. He restructures the defense. The QB play in Cleveland has been as bad as anywhere in the league the entire time he's been here, that's the only reason he isn't putting up insane numbers. Folks thinking this gets done with a couple 3rd's or a second-- the ONLY way that happens is if the Browns already believe he's headed for a year off.  Just with the between the lines stuff, and considering he's already developed nicely out of his rookie year and has all of his rookie (2nd round) contract left, easily worth a top 10. Figure the purple drank discount from that, but figure in that he seems to be a good locker room and press guy which is fairly rare for a real #1WR.

Just chiming in so you guys don't hang yourself if you end up giving a first. I think whatever WR you would draft with that next year would have less potential and just as much risk. 

--and just so you don't think I'm a Cleveland guy overvaluing our own talent, I would have taken a 3rd or even 4th for Trent Richardson, who is physically talented but simply has no understanding of what NFL holes are. 

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Browns fan here... I've watched every snap of Gordon, most on coaches film, and I can tell you that at least football wise, the guy is easily worth a top 10 overall pick. His hands are not outstanding (not bad overall) and he's not one of those guys that goes up and takes the ball away from 3 defenders like Calvin Johnson. But outside of that, he is Calvin Johnson. He's one of those rare guys that looks like he's moving 3/4 speed all the time, but he's cruising past fast corners. He gets tons of room on slants because they are scared to death of him. He restructures the defense. The QB play in Cleveland has been as bad as anywhere in the league the entire time he's been here, that's the only reason he isn't putting up insane numbers. Folks thinking this gets done with a couple 3rd's or a second-- the ONLY way that happens is if the Browns already believe he's headed for a year off. Just with the between the lines stuff, and considering he's already developed nicely out of his rookie year and has all of his rookie (2nd round) contract left, easily worth a top 10. Figure the purple drank discount from that, but figure in that he seems to be a good locker room and press guy which is fairly rare for a real #1WR.

Just chiming in so you guys don't hang yourself if you end up giving a first. I think whatever WR you would draft with that next year would have less potential and just as much risk.

--and just so you don't think I'm a Cleveland guy overvaluing our own talent, I would have taken a 3rd or even 4th for Trent Richardson, who is physically talented but simply has no understanding of what NFL holes are.

Good post, man. Thanks. Are you guys ready to lynch Lombardi yet?

I have a hard time giving away a 1st round pick on a receiver, let alone one with Gordon's rap sheet. This team is not one player away from competing for a championship. Keep the picks and proceed with the rebuild.

I know I'm definitely in the minority here but they may not be 1 player away but they might be 2 players away. You put a #1 WR and a true #1 TE and this is a completely different offensive team.

I know I'm definitely in the minority here but they may not be 1 player away but they might be 2 players away. You put a #1 WR and a true #1 TE and this is a completely different offensive team.

You could put Nicks, Cruz, Tony Gonzalez and Adrien Peterson out there and it wouldn't matter. We have a young QB who is still learning the game and how to maintain a pocket. He's getting there tho.

Good to hear that but he is an incident away from being suspended for a year.  That is scary because it seen he can't stop smoking weed. 

This is true, but most Rookie WR's are a year of development away from knowing whether they are an asset or a waste anyway. The risk here is real, I do think his behavior says addict to me. But it still isn't any higher than the risk of a bust at #15 overall or whatever (cf. Richardson, Trent), and you won't even have to pay him as much as you would said bust.

Personally, I'd rather the browns just keep him. I'm just letting you know that this "who is he? I'll be mad if they give a 4th" stuff is way off base. I think Josh Gordon has a pretty good chance to be one of the 5 best receivers in the league. He might be that now, it's kind of hard to know without a QB to throw him the ball.

Good post, man. Thanks. Are you guys ready to lynch Lombardi yet?

There was a ton of hate coming in based on his last tenure here and douchey persona on ESPN. But it's kind of hard to argue with the moves so far. The Mingo pick looks good and the Richardson thing was bold and absolutely the right thing to do (complete robbery in retrospect--kudos to them for just watching the tape rather than the commercials). And he was on record hating Weeden which didn't take a genius but has of course since proved out. But no question that guy is going to get lynched the first wrong move he makes. Gordon for a 2 or 3 would probably be that move.

This is true, but most Rookie WR's are a year of development away from knowing whether they are an asset or a waste anyway. The risk here is real, I do think his behavior says addict to me. But it still isn't any higher than the risk of a bust at #15 overall or whatever (cf. Richardson, Trent), and you won't even have to pay him as much as you would said bust.

Personally, I'd rather the browns just keep him. I'm just letting you know that this "who is he? I'll be mad if they give a 4th" stuff is way off base. I think Josh Gordon has a pretty good chance to be one of the 5 best receivers in the league. He might be that now, it's kind of hard to know without a QB to throw him the ball.

I agree with you, I rather have the Browns keep him and instead trade Jordan Cameron to us.  I don't think this organization can go on with another skill WR being a head case.  Don't get me wrong, I will be on board if Idzik throw away a third for Gordon.

I agree with you, I rather have the Browns keep him and instead trade Jordan Cameron to us.  I don't think this organization can go on with another skill WR being a head case.  Don't get me wrong, I will be on board if Idzik throw away a third for Gordon.

I'd value Gordon over Cameron especially with the contract status. But with the drug risk, it's fairly close. Gordon isn't your usual "headcase" WR. He's nice and humble and says all the right things. He just has this little habit...

Our most glaring weakness is at WR. We have not had a young, stud #1 WR in eons. Josh Gordon represents exactly that. Who in the league has greater potential to become a top 5 WR in the league than Josh Gordon? Not many. He is only 22 and already flashed brilliance on an NFL field with garbage throwing him the football. The kid can be a great one. I would do what it takes (within reason) to make it happen. I see Coples as an expendable piece right now. The guy does not have a position on this team and has looked sluggish this year. If CLE is interested, I'd offer him and a 3rd, and prob go as high as a 2nd.

WE NEED A BIG TIME WIDEOUT.

You could put Nicks, Cruz, Tony Gonzalez and Adrien Peterson out there and it wouldn't matter. We have a young QB who is still learning the game and how to maintain a pocket. He's getting there tho.

There's no way to ever know so its dumb to argue but I disagree. That team would probably be undefeated at this point since Geno wouldn't be throwing as much and he would have guys that can actually catch the ball more consistently.  

Every WR1 in the NFL worth rostering is a headcase. 

Browns fan here... I've watched every snap of Gordon, most on coaches film, and I can tell you that at least football wise, the guy is easily worth a top 10 overall pick. His hands are not outstanding (not bad overall) and he's not one of those guys that goes up and takes the ball away from 3 defenders like Calvin Johnson. But outside of that, he is Calvin Johnson. He's one of those rare guys that looks like he's moving 3/4 speed all the time, but he's cruising past fast corners. He gets tons of room on slants because they are scared to death of him. He restructures the defense. The QB play in Cleveland has been as bad as anywhere in the league the entire time he's been here, that's the only reason he isn't putting up insane numbers. Folks thinking this gets done with a couple 3rd's or a second-- the ONLY way that happens is if the Browns already believe he's headed for a year off. Just with the between the lines stuff, and considering he's already developed nicely out of his rookie year and has all of his rookie (2nd round) contract left, easily worth a top 10. Figure the purple drank discount from that, but figure in that he seems to be a good locker room and press guy which is fairly rare for a real #1WR.

Hello Brother!! Go Browns!!!

Guys, relax.  What Crusher and I have is special.  It cant be duplicated.  You cant force these things.  Our love blossomed organically. 

But you can literally spend years forcing all the guys on the interwebz to listen to you yammer on about it, eh?

Crusher likes me better than you, it's not even close. You're just going to be the last to find out.

Archived