• Last Reply

so just to review

Revis 25th

Walls 67th

Wilson 90th

Dee 101st

Cro 102nd out of 103 CBs

What a great trade. 

Sheldon Richardson has been far more impactful than Revis this season and should continue to do so for a long time.  So, in my estimation, it was a great trade.  Revis has done ugatz in Tampa -- and his absence last season was a non-factor for the Jets.  

also keep in mind that the Jets didn't have to pay Revis 16 mil. He had 1 year on his deal they could have let him play it out. That was the outcome I wanted, if we go back and search about it. Everyone said "Oh but he'll walk for nothing" they got Dee Milliner is he better than nothing? The jury is still out. they could have easily taken Sheldon at 9 and kept Revis for a year and see what happens.  another thing to note is that trading Revis accelerated 13 mil on the cap of dead space, which guarunteed the Jets wouldn't have cap room. they chose to be cap strapped this offseason it was not required to be cap strapped. How many good players does 13 mil buy? 

I'd say its more coincidence than anything tbh. You cant tell me Calvin Johnson's contract is what's holding the Lions back. Or Petersons.

Revis' current contract with Tampa isnt why the stink. Teams are built via the draft and you give the extra special players the big second and third contracts. Revis is a royal pain the rear, but the dude is still a phenomenal player...and was a huge cog in Rex being so successful here defensively. Were obviosuly seeing the difference this season....its like the 2008 defense all over. We loved Jenkins but what use was he if teams just had their QB's throw off of 3 step drops?

Hard to call it a coincidence when it's true across the board.

In any individual case, it may certainly look that way, but I think there's a lot of validity to the idea that one player, who's not a QB, isn't contributing enough to take that percentage of the cap.  Honestly, it's too perfect to be coincidence.

A few years ago, I remember looking at the leagues top WRs compared to Super Bowl wins and the best WR to win a Super Bowl was Reggie Wayne.  Most of the top 10 guys had never won.  Wouldn't be surprised if the same were true for RBs.

All this Revis talk is based on the fact Cro sucks this year. 2 different animals. Cro stepped in nicely last year, but weather it is injury, age or heart, he doesn't have it this year. Revis is on a terrible team that doesn't play to his strength. Both teams got what they wanted but Richardson seems to be the breaker.

If Milliner turns out to be what we hoped he would be, we robbed Tampa blind. If not, then both teams made a mistake.

also keep in mind that the Jets didn't have to pay Revis 16 mil. He had 1 year on his deal they could have let him play it out. That was the outcome I wanted, if we go back and search about it. Everyone said "Oh but he'll walk for nothing" they got Dee Milliner is he better than nothing? The jury is still out. they could have easily taken Sheldon at 9 and kept Revis for a year and see what happens.  another thing to note is that trading Revis accelerated 13 mil on the cap of dead space, which guarunteed the Jets wouldn't have cap room. they chose to be cap strapped this offseason it was not required to be cap strapped. How many good players does 13 mil buy? 

Having Revis this year doesn't win us a Super Bowl.  Having Richardson for the next 10 might.

Hard to call it a coincidence when it's true across the board.

In any individual case, it may certainly look that way, but I think there's a lot of validity to the idea that one player, who's not a QB, isn't contributing enough to take that percentage of the cap.  Honestly, it's too perfect to be coincidence.

A few years ago, I remember looking at the leagues top WRs compared to Super Bowl wins and the best WR to win a Super Bowl was Reggie Wayne.  Most of the top 10 guys had never won.  Wouldn't be surprised if the same were true for RBs.

What's true across the board? Great receivers and backs prevent you from winning Super Bowls? Come on. The Lions should have let Megatron hit FA?

Jerry Rice won a few Super Bowls.  

Having Revis this year doesn't win us a Super Bowl.  Having Richardson for the next 10 might.

Mid 2009 we'd be saying the same thing about Revis vs another player that wants to be paid. WIlkerson's going to demand a huge deal....let him walk?

What's true across the board? Great receivers and backs prevent you from winning Super Bowls? Come on. The Lions should have let Megatron hit FA?

Jerry Rice won a few Super Bowls.  

That paying players QB money, who aren't QBs, does not translate to wins and certainly not championships.

Jerry Rice's last Super Bowl was in a very different NFL.

That paying players QB money, who aren't QBs, does not translate to wins and certainly not championships.

Jerry Rice's last Super Bowl was in a very different NFL.

So you let those players walk? The Lions should have let Johnson leave? The Texans shouldn't pay JJ Watt?

Jerry Rice was worth more when he was playing vs Megatron's worth now? Doubtful...

Mid 2009 we'd be saying the same thing about Revis vs another player that wants to be paid. WIlkerson's going to demand a huge deal....let him walk?

And, in Mid 2009, keeping Revis was the right move.  He had his years, they didn't win.  I don't want to pay him 16M during a rebuild to keep trying.

As for Wilkerson, you pay him in line with the top DEs, not in line with the top QBs.  If Wilkerson will settle for nothing less than top QB money, then yes, you have to let him go.  That's why you let Revis go.  Then, sit back as the team who signs him (Bucs/Revis) or (Bills/M. Williams) does nothing.  If hope that doesn't happen.  I don't expect Wilkerson to give us a discount, but the guys I mentioned in the original post all made significantly more than the next highest player at their positions when they signed.

So you let those players walk? The Lions should have let Johnson leave? The Texans shouldn't pay JJ Watt?

Jerry Rice was worth more when he was playing vs Megatron's worth now? Doubtful...

Again, I'm talking about contracts that break the positions mold.  If the top 10 WRs are making 10M per year, I don't think you pay your guy 16M.

Like I said this imaginary build a team- paying no one until you land a franchise QB isnt reality. Jets fans have been so burned by bad contracts to mediocre players they're afraid of giving actually good talent their new deals.

But the point is, every team is burned by giving these monster contracts to non-QBs.  You've just deemed it a coincidence.

And, in Mid 2009, keeping Revis was the right move.  He had his years, they didn't win.  I don't want to pay him 16M during a rebuild to keep trying.

As for Wilkerson, you pay him in line with the top DEs, not in line with the top QBs.  If Wilkerson will settle for nothing less than top QB money, then yes, you have to let him go.  That's why you let Revis go.  Then, sit back as the team who signs him (Bucs/Revis) or (Bills/M. Williams) does nothing.  If hope that doesn't happen.  I don't expect Wilkerson to give us a discount, but the guys I mentioned in the original post all made significantly more than the next highest player at their positions when they signed.

Mario Williams isnt the reason the Bills arent winning(11.5 sacks this year btw). JJ Watt wont be the reason the Texans arent winning next year. You have to pay someone. Unless you'd just prefer to be under the salary cap during the season?

But the point is, every team is burned by giving these monster contracts to non-QBs.  You've just deemed it a coincidence.

The Lions have been burned by Megatron? Mario Williams has 11.5 sacks right now. Just because you dont have a franchise guy in place at QB doesnt mean you dont reward great talent.

Again- you have to pay someone.

You don't let him go.  You franchise him.  That's the purpose. 

The Lions have been burned by Megatron? Mario Williams has 11.5 sacks right now. Just because you dont have a franchise guy in place at QB doesnt mean you dont reward great talent.

Again- you have to pay someone.

Individual players who aren't QBs don't win games on their own.  Mario Williams and JJ Watt may be playing great, but giving them deals that destroy the positional value means you are limited elsewhere.  So, maybe you have Williams, but then you can only afford a C+ at another position instead of a B.  That difference seems to matter when it comes to building an overall team.

Individual players who aren't QBs don't win games on their own.  Mario Williams and JJ Watt may be playing great, but giving them deals that destroy the positional value means you are limited elsewhere.  So, maybe you have Williams, but then you can only afford a C+ at another position instead of a B.  That difference seems to matter when it comes to building an overall team.

There are no players in the NFL that win games on their own. If that were the case, then your theory about being limited elsewhere wouldnt hold true.

You have a star player in his prime- you gotta pay him. Megatron is worth at least two B players at other positions. Denver has an all star team while paying Peyton. Somehow it gets done there. Give me the A+ skill position player over a B linebacker and B- tackle every day.

Yeah, except for the fact that if on the roster, would have counted somewhere around 9 million against the cap.  So in actuality, your nonsensical question of "How many good players does 13 mil buy?"  has absolutely no relevance to this topic, as the difference in trading him was really an additional 4 million off of the cap this year.   Meanwhile, the Jets will be saving 9 million next year and getting two draft picks in the process.  Care to try again?

Cro is a rare athlete and he's always depended on that athleticism to play CB in the league. He's approaching 30 we could have just seen him go over the hill. This is not a player with great technique or understanding to fall back on. 

Cro's a year older than Usain Bolt and I don't see him slowing down.

He's hurt.

Yeah, except for the fact that if on the roster, would have counted somewhere around 9 million against the cap.  So in actuality, your nonsensical question of "How many good players does 13 mil buy?"  has absolutely no relevance to this topic, as the difference in trading him was really an additional 4 million off of the cap this year.   Meanwhile, the Jets will be saving 9 million next year and getting two draft picks in the process.  Care to try again?

fair enough it was 4 mil in space not 13 mil that's true. still we are talking about a team that's 4-4- now and 9-7 gets you into the playoffs... having Revis is better than not having him. I don't buy the idea of multi-year rebuilds you never know when a key player will get hurt etc. the only year that matters is this year. 

Archived