Milliner will finish season as top rookie CB in league

stugotz81

Well, Rex thinks so.  Not sure why either.....http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rex-struggling-milliner-top-rookie-224337513--nfl.html

I can see him developing into a safety over the next couple years before I can see him developing into a top CB....he doesn't seem to carry the instincts that a top CB needs to have...At the same time, if you watch some of his college tape he actually plays pretty aggressive so I am not sure why he doesn't have the same on field approach now. Maybe its just a lack of confidence.  For a top 10 pick, you need to come into the league strong and play like a top 10 pick from the beginning in my opinion....if not, you were drafted way to high. 

Well, Rex thinks so.  Not sure why either.....http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rex-struggling-milliner-top-rookie-224337513--nfl.html

I can see him developing into a safety over the next couple years before I can see him developing into a top CB....he doesn't seem to carry the instincts that a top CB needs to have...At the same time, if you watch some of his college tape he actually plays pretty aggressive so I am not sure why he doesn't have the same on field approach now. Maybe its just a lack of confidence.  For a top 10 pick, you need to come into the league strong and play like a top 10 pick from the beginning in my opinion....if not, you were drafted way to high. 

Not true.

Also, it would have been good for him to participate in our pre-season a little. He missed most of it, no? I'm sure that doesn't matter though, it's all about being the 9th pick.

If you are seeing hesitation (see: lack of aggressiveness) it's because he's not sure where he's supposed to be and/or what he's supposed to be doing.... YET. See: not enough reps, still learning, missed pre-season

We're all down on Milliner.  He looks terrible...but lets be fair.  He's learning one of the most complicated systems in the NFL, he was banged up for most of Training Camp and he's being asked to go out into zero coverage and shut players down...which clearly, he's just not ready to do.

Corner is a tough position...especially for a rookie learning this system.  He stinks something awful right now but he's really only got one way to go.  

That said, I like the safety idea a lot for him.  Just dont think the Jets can afford that experiment right now.  

Not true.

Also, it would have been good for him to participate in our pre-season a little. He missed most of it, no? I'm sure that doesn't matter though, it's all about being the 9th pick.

If you are seeing hesitation (see: lack of aggressiveness) it's because he's not sure where he's supposed to be and/or what he's supposed to be doing.... YET. See: not enough reps, still learning, missed pre-season

I thought he just sucks cause he's in a Jets uni???

We're all down on Milliner.  He looks terrible...but lets be fair.  He's learning one of the most complicated systems in the NFL, he was banged up for most of Training Camp and he's being asked to go out into zero coverage and shut players down...which clearly, he's just not ready to do.

Corner is a tough position...especially for a rookie learning this system.  He stinks something awful right now but he's really only got one way to go.  

That said, I like the safety idea a lot for him.  Just dont think the Jets can afford that experiment right now.  

I agree, something to experiment with in training camp next year if he doesn't finish the season with strong potential at CB.

I really don't like the idea of considering him as a FS at all at this time, or next year.  As the video Stu posted clearly shows Milliner has tremendous physical talent.  What one of his problems seem to be, is the same problem Wilson has.  Who  also has excellent physical tools.   Ball awareness, and technique.  As pointed out above the guy missed a lot of camp, through hold out and injury.   Perhaps all he needs is a year to work up to a NFL level of play.  Having him restart over at this point might set him right back to the beginning.  Plus a lot of that talent  would just be wasted as a FS.

If he is still struggling after next season, maybe he's just not ever going to be a #1 CB in the NFL.  He needs to be given a chance to play at an NFL level  for at least 2, maybe 3 years before making that move.  If I were the Jets I would have attempted to move Wilson to FS this year.  He's clearly not going to be a top outside CB.  

Another problem with Milliner is his injury history.  At Bama I think he had 4 surgeries.  he didn't miss much time, but still that's a lot.  He has been dogged by minor injury since he has been here.  

How's the injury factor going to work out as a safety where he is going to be expected to  stick his nose in at the LOS against the run, and cover 260# TE's?

Think he needs to stay at CB for at least 1 more year.  Problem is the Jets need him to start stepping up now as a CB 

Revis missed training camp and for the first few games QBs were picking on him.

When he finally "got it", he improved dramatically.

i actually watch a bit of Bucs football.  I really don't think he has "improved dramatically".  He's still a good CB, but  he is no where near the 2009 Revis.  

I know I am in the minority, but I don't think Milliner has been THAT bad.  Sure he is getting picked on, but he was limited all camp and has been battling injuries.  He is getting beaten, but I don't see the endemic whipping that you all see and don't see a player without redemption.  That doesn't mean he is going to turn it around and be all pro the rest of the year, but I don't think he is THAT far from being a viable corner.  If things continue like this, he can't keep playing, but I wouldn't give up just yet.

i actually watch a bit of Bucs football.  I really don't think he has "improved dramatically".  He's still a good CB, but  he is no where near the 2009 Revis.  

I think he may have been referring to Revis' rookie year, although I could be wrong.

That said, I completely agree with your point about him now.

There is no instincts! Is that just a lack of confidence? 

Where did I say anything about confidence?

The goal is to have a talented player that knows the system inside and out, which enables informed instinct to take over. If he hasn't learned the system yet, it will indeed inhibit his instincts.

Long story short, you are being impatient and superficial in your understanding of what it takes for players to come in and perform at a high level as a rookie.

The outlook of: ZOMG he wuz picked 9th he should dominant!!! is that of a teenager or housewife. Get a grip on yourself.

I know I am in the minority, but I don't think Milliner has been THAT bad.  Sure he is getting picked on, but he was limited all camp and has been battling injuries.  He is getting beaten, but I don't see the endemic whipping that you all see and don't see a player without redemption.  That doesn't mean he is going to turn it around and be all pro the rest of the year, but I don't think he is THAT far from being a viable corner.  If things continue like this, he can't keep playing, but I wouldn't give up just yet.

Nope, I'm with ya too. The plays that he got toasted on against the Bengals, were text book back-shoulder throws. Yes, he's struggling, but no one is giving him credit for when he does use proper technique and physically forces his receivers to take the outside route and pinches him into the sideline. So when the QB throws it out of bounds or dirts it, it's because he got lucky and not the fact the he allowed the WR and QB only a yard or two to work with. We also don't get the benefit of seeing all 22 players on every snap, so it's difficult to see the other times; not to mention one of the big reasons he wasn't seeing the field early was schematic and mental breakdowns, which Rex says he's limited.  I'll get called an SEC homer for defending him, but I've seen improvement and I see the skill-set that got him picked there.  He's not an abomination like everyone's making him out to be and he'll soon enough be someone you won't have to worry about; whether he develops into a pro-bowl talent is a diff story, but I definitely think he's gonna be a solid pro.

Wow!  Based on how he's played so far, if he's the best, I'd be tempted to ask Rex if Milliner is the ONLY rookie CB in the league this year.  Seriously, I trust Rex on judging DL and DBs.  He hyped Gholston, but I think he was just trying to help support and motivate him.  He may be doing the same with Milliner, but Milliner is no Gholston.  He didn't disappear in big games in college and has been playing football a long time.  We all have to hope that Rex is right.

I really don't like the idea of considering him as a FS at all at this time, or next year.  As the video Stu posted clearly shows Milliner has tremendous physical talent.  What one of his problems seem to be, is the same problem Wilson has.  Who  also has excellent physical tools.   Ball awareness, and technique.  As pointed out above the guy missed a lot of camp, through hold out and injury.   Perhaps all he needs is a year to work up to a NFL level of play.  Having him restart over at this point might set him right back to the beginning.  Plus a lot of that talent  would just be wasted as a FS.

If he is still struggling after next season, maybe he's just not ever going to be a #1 CB in the NFL.  He needs to be given a chance to play at an NFL level  for at least 2, maybe 3 years before making that move.  If I were the Jets I would have attempted to move Wilson to FS this year.  He's clearly not going to be a top outside CB.  

Another problem with Milliner is his injury history.  At Bama I think he had 4 surgeries.  he didn't miss much time, but still that's a lot.  He has been dogged by minor injury since he has been here.  

How's the injury factor going to work out as a safety where he is going to be expected to  stick his nose in at the LOS against the run, and cover 260# TE's?

Think he needs to stay at CB for at least 1 more year.  Problem is the Jets need him to start stepping up now as a CB 

+1

I'd like to see the Jets develop a drill just for Wilson.  They could have a receiver run a 5-15 yard route with Wilson covering him and then instead of Geno trying to complete the pass, he could drill the ball into the back of Wilson's head on every single one of them.  Wilson would soon learn to turn his head around.

Nope, I'm with ya too. The plays that he got toasted on against the Bengals, were text book back-shoulder throws. Yes, he's struggling, but no one is giving him credit for when he does use proper technique and physically forces his receivers to take the outside route and pinches him into the sideline. So when the QB throws it out of bounds or dirts it, it's because he got lucky and not the fact the he allowed the WR and QB only a yard or two to work with. We also don't get the benefit of seeing all 22 players on every snap, so it's difficult to see the other times; not to mention one of the big reasons he wasn't seeing the field early was schematic and mental breakdowns, which Rex says he's limited.  I'll get called an SEC homer for defending him, but I've seen improvement and I see the skill-set that got him picked there.  He's not an abomination like everyone's making him out to be and he'll soon enough be someone you won't have to worry about; whether he develops into a pro-bowl talent is a diff story, but I definitely think he's gonna be a solid pro.

The issue with him will always be these nagging injuries.  In college, he could get away with it, but in the NFL, and as a CB,  those nagging injuries could mean the difference between knocked down passes and interceptions or first downs and TDs.   Can he improve? Of course, but the nagging injuries is the biggest concern for a position where one step to slow could mean the difference in a game.

+1

I'd like to see the Jets develop a drill just for Wilson.  They could have a receiver run a 5-15 yard route with Wilson covering him and then instead of Geno trying to complete the pass, he could drill the ball into the back of Wilson's head on every single one of them.  Wilson would soon learn to turn his head around.

LOL

certainly worth a try

Wow!  Based on how he's played so far, if he's the best, I'd be tempted to ask Rex if Milliner is the ONLY rookie CB in the league this year.  Seriously, I trust Rex on judging DL and DBs.  He hyped Gholston, but I think he was just trying to help support and motivate him.  He may be doing the same with Milliner, but Milliner is no Gholston.  He didn't disappear in big games in college and has been playing football a long time.  We all have to hope that Rex is right.

He really didn't hype Gholston.   he said when they discussed him with the Ravens, they decided to pass, but if his defensive CS couldn't get anything out of him no one could.  He was right.  No one could

Edit:  Rex almost never throws his players under the bus.  At least while they are still on the team.  I agree he said some things when he first got here to support him, but they came off as back handed compliments.

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan says Dee Milliner will be best rookie cornerback by season's end Ryan claimed Milliner has played better than he’s given credit for, despite getting benches last week against the Bengals after giving up 108 yards and a touchdown over four receptions. Comments (14) BY SETH WALDER / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS PUBLISHED: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2013, 5:18 PM UPDATED: THURSDAY, OCTOBER 31, 2013, 3:54 AM

Print
186050745.jpg ANDY LYONS/GETTY IMAGES  

Dee Milliner (l.) gets schooled by Marvin Jones and the Bengals last week.

inform.jpg

As the rest of Gang Green Nation wallows over what has thus far been a wasted draft pick in Dee MillinerRex Ryan is sticking by his young cornerback.

First Ryan announced that he will be leaving Milliner in the starting lineup after benching him part way through last week’s 49-9 loss to the Bengals, but then he went further.

“I will say this, by the time this season’s over, I think he will be the best rookie corner and playing better than any rookie corner in this year’s draft,” Ryan said. “I don’t think there’s any doubt.”

Ryan claimed Milliner has played better than he’s given credit for, despite giving up 108 yards and a touchdown on four receptions last week, according to ProFootballFocus.

“I feel it,” Ryan said. “And I don’t think there’s any doubt. I see him, I see the intensity, I know how he wants to respond, and then when you watch the tape, it’s just little things right now.”

Ryan said after last week’s game that Milliner was benched because he physically wasn’t getting the job done, and on Wednesday said that Milliner hasn’t been making mental errors, a problem for him earlier in the year.

Milliner missed offseason workouts while he rehabbed from shoulder surgery, held out from training camp briefly, got hurt in the preseason and also missed three games with a hamstring injury. Milliner started four of the five games he played in, but was benched in two of those four.

deeweb31s-1-web.jpg ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Dee Milliner's problems at cornerback are 'just little things right now,' according to Rex Ryan.

“There are two positions I think that are critical with confidence, you want your guy confident (and) you don’t want the confidence ever broken, I think that’s cornerback and quarterback,” Ryan said.

It’s precisely because of that concept that Ryan’s bold statements seem to come at a convenient time. Fresh off benching Milliner, Ryan may have wanted to boost the youngster’s confidence by talking him up.

Ryan told a tale of his father, Buddy Ryan, benching a young Mike Singletary and refusing to let him re-enter the game even after the linebacker requested to go back in. “ ‘Nah, we’re trying to win this game,’ ” Rex Ryan said his father told Singletary. “I never told Dee that,” Ryan joked.

“I want him champing at the bit to get back out there and then you purposely keep him (out),” Ryan said.

“I want to be out there, I want to make plays, they did select me high and I want to be out there doing things for them,” Milliner said. “It’s been a rough year, these last couple of games.”

Ryan noted that this Sunday against the Saints “would be a great time to start” on Milliner’s improvement.

Given he’s starting against one of the most powerful offenses in the league — ranked third in the league in passing offense — Milliner knows he’s going to get picked on.

“I’ve put on film that plays get over me here and there,” Milliner said. “(Drew Brees) watches film. He’s one of the great quarterbacks in today’s game. He’s going to be out there, and of course I’m the new kid out there so he’s going to look to attack me on things.”  

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/rex-milliner-nfl-best-rookie-cb-article-1.1501937#ixzz2jJrGzNic

He is 3 years away from that happening at best

I'm more worried about his health as all nagging injuries tend to catch up to anyone as they age. They usually don't just disappear.

Also, losing LaRon hurt the Jets more than losing Revis IMO.

You make really good points...

I'm more worried about his health as all nagging injuries tend to catch up to anyone as they age. They usually don't just disappear.

Also, losing LaRon hurt the Jets more than losing Revis IMO.

Your 1st point I agree with 100% and is the reason I didn't like him at 9 in spite of his physical talents.

Second point about Landry, not so much.  If he were playing the way he was last year, OK.  So far this year he has been a waste of money.  Only 3 starts. 1 PD and 19 tackles.   Back to his old injured ways.  

He really didn't hype Gholston.   he said when they discussed him with the Ravens, they decided to pass, but if his defensive CS couldn't get anything out of him no one could.  He was right.  No one could

Edit:  Rex almost never throws his players under the bus.  At least while they are still on the team.  I agree he said some things when he first got here to support him, but they came off as back handed compliments.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "hyped" him.  I remember he made some positive comments about Gholston's progress to the media and they were discussed quite a bit on the Jets board where I was posting at the time.

The problem with this D is that I think it relies heavily on the corners.  A solid corner elsewhere could look like toast here. I still think Milliner will be fine, though I am a disappointed so far. 

The issue with him will always be these nagging injuries.  In college, he could get away with it, but in the NFL, and as a CB,  those nagging injuries could mean the difference between knocked down passes and interceptions or first downs and TDs.   Can he improve? Of course, but the nagging injuries is the biggest concern for a position where one step to slow could mean the difference in a game.

This could be the truth. Not missing games is nice, but Cromartie hasn't been missing games  and it is killing us.

Archived