Our Palindromic Wide Receiver Salas: going to be a big time pickup.

BroadwayJoe12

I had a feeling this was a kid to be excited about when we stole him from Philly and stashed him on our 53, knowing he was weeks away from contributing. Hawaii has relied on a lot of these types of receivers to play in their spread offense, very similar style of pay to Devone Bess.  Salas is 6'1 210, had very good explosion and great agility numbers ( 4.10 shuttle and 6.65 3 cone) along with a 4.5 40. I actually remember his gauntlet drill impressed me when I went back to watch Kerley's after we drafted him. Kid's got great hands and was used very well in the screen game in college. With Kerley's injury, I think this kid is going to be seeing a lot of snaps, not only in the slot, but outside as well. 

Injuries suck, especially to guys like Kerley, but if there's anything positive to take from this, it'll be if we can find out that guys like Sudfeld and Salas can be consistent contributors for the future. I liked how both of them made the most of their opportunities. Salas turned his 3 targets into 2 catches for 57 yards and Sudfeld turned his 4 looks, most on the team, to 46 yards. Pretty pedestrian, but considering they combined for 7 of Geno's 20 targets and 103 of his 140 yards, I see no reason their roles won't continue to grow. (Really was impressed with Sudfeld's blocking on Jordan and his mobility and speed surprised me).  

http://youtu.be/AWlX3ZrLdgE

Does seem like he came to play. Not really looking too long term right now but if performs well enough to stick around next year then yay. Some nice, cheap FA signings this year...

Idzik hitting with Colon, Nelson, Salas, and Ivory makes up for the miss on Goodson.   Now his priority for this offseason will be to lock up WIlk long term and find us a true downfield threat on offense... 

Idzik hitting with Colon, Nelson, Salas, and Ivory makes up for the miss on Goodson.   Now his priority for this offseason will be to lock up WIlk long term and find us a true downfield threat on offense... 

Not sure Goodson was a miss.  Guys get hurt it happens.  If he was suspended and never played I would say a miss.  But Goodson really looked like he was worth the wait.  But injuries happen...not sure I would blame Idzik for that.

I liked what I seen out of him. I say he plays slot while Kerely is out instead of Nelson.. matter fact they could rotate.

Kid is a REAL nice player to use in the screen game, nice pick up

With Kerley hurt, Holmes hurt (even if he is back soon), and Hill being... well, whatever is going on with him, I think it's fair to say both of those guys are sure to see plenty of playing time.  If the Kerley injury is serious I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets bring back Campbell or perhaps even the great white hope himself.

With Kerley hurt, Holmes hurt (even if he is back soon), and Hill being... well, whatever is going on with him, I think it's fair to say both of those guys are sure to see plenty of playing time. If the Kerley injury is serious I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets bring back Campbell or perhaps even the great white hope himself.

I believe he was promoted to the fins active roster ? I could see us grabbing Campbell. Just doeneds on Holmes

I believe he was promoted to the fins active roster ? I could see us grabbing Campbell. Just doeneds on Holmes

No clue, you could be right about that.

I'd guess the Jets will be a bit careful and wary when it comes to Holmes, even if he is ready to come back after the bye.  His recent history hardly makes him seem like an overly reliable option, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them hedging their bets with him either way.

Campbell is probably still available.  They brought Rontez Miles up, presumably to play specials.  I know Campbell got some run against the Bengals, but I don't really like him too much. I feel much better about Salas already.  They also have Az Hakim's brother Saalim on the practice squad.  Raw but insanely fast.  It will be interesting seeing what they do and a lot will depend on how long Kerley will be out. Holmes coming back will be a boost, but you can't count on that slouch.

Not sure Goodson was a miss. Guys get hurt it happens. If he was suspended and never played I would say a miss. But Goodson really looked like he was worth the wait. But injuries happen...not sure I would blame Idzik for that.

Correct... Goodson was averaging 10 yards per. You can't blame injury on the GM.

Archived