Jay Cutler Is a FA After This Year

Lizard King

Heard this during the game tonight. The Bears will probably franchise him, but if he were available, I wonder if we would take a look. I don't think he would command elite money. A lot of people are on the fence about if they want to extend him or let him walk. If you could pay him 12-15, would you do it? Best QB this team would have in awhile. Draft him a couple receivers with this D, and just maybe?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard this during the game tonight. The Bears will probably franchise him, but if he were available, I wonder if we would take a look. I don't think he would command elite money. A lot of people are on the fence about if they want to extend him or let him walk. If you could pay him 12-15, would you do it? Best QB this team would have in awhile. Draft him a couple receivers with this D, and just maybe?

Dude is a complete douche thou, has Marshall, Forte, and a great D over the past few years, and can't get it done, oh how he would make Holmes look like a choir boy if he had to throw to the rag tag bunch the Jets have at WR, he would be bitching 24/7!

No.Jay Cutler doesnt put this team over the top.

$12-15M is elite money. The franchise number for a QB this year was just under $15M. Makes me wonder if the Bears would franchise him. If they do, Cutler would be foolish not to sign it before they pull it away. He's not worth that kind of money.

$12-15M is elite money. The franchise number for a QB this year was just under $15M. Makes me wonder if the Bears would franchise him. If they do, Cutler would be foolish not to sign it before they pull it away. He's not worth that kind of money.

Yeah it's hard to tell what they'll do.  There are so few QB's out there that teams are more often than not paying big money to guys who simply aren't worth the kind of coin they're getting (Flacco and Matt Ryan come to mind).  But Cutler isn't in that upper echelon of QB's, he's basically in that 3rd tier of "average" guys overall with the Alex Smith's, Andy Dalton's and Matthew Stafford's of the league.  So do they simply let him go and start over with a 2014 rookie?  It's not like Tressman has any ties to Cutler.

Neil O'Donnell part II   no way in hell stay away from Jay Cutler Geno Smith is the future.

In what way does Jay Cutler resemble Neil O'Donnell? That they're both right-handed and both played QB? I think the similarities end there.  

Cutler is a gunslinger with just about the strongest arm in the league (close enough that it doesn't matter), who seems to think every pass that can be attempted should be attempted.  O'Donnell was a timidly-careful game manager who would never risk throwing a pass if he thought there was a 5% chance of it ending in an interception.  He's likely never going to be, but Cutler has the tools to be an elite passer.  O'Donnell did not.

Combine the two and you might actually have something there.

Oh yeah, and we shouldn't be going after him.  He's not going to be available anyway; Chicago has no up-and-comer on their roster.  Their best move is to franchise Cutler for 2014 and also draft someone else who has real potential. 

I'd strongly prefer Geno or taking a shot on a QB in the 2014 draft class to paying Jay Cutler $12-15 million.  He's maddeningly inconsistent and doesn't have the personality to command a team.

Agree.  Totally.  Cutler has a $15 million arm and a $.10 brain.  No thanks.

In what way does Jay Cutler resemble Neil O'Donnell? That they're both right-handed and both played QB? I think the similarities end there.  

Cutler is a gunslinger with just about the strongest arm in the league (close enough that it doesn't matter), who seems to think every pass that can be attempted should be attempted.  O'Donnell was a timidly-careful game manager who would never risk throwing a pass if he thought there was a 5% chance of it ending in an interception.  He's likely never going to be, but Cutler has the tools to be an elite passer.  O'Donnell did not.

Combine the two and you might actually have something there.

Oh yeah, and we shouldn't be going after him.  He's not going to be available anyway; Chicago has no up-and-comer on their roster.  Their best move is to franchise Cutler for 2014 and also draft someone else who has real potential. 

They are both head cases.Neil O'Donnell was a desperation move just because he had success in Pittsburgh didn't necessarily mean he would have it here. We are not an organization in desperate need for a QB that we should over pay and bring in the biggest free agent name out there.

Isnt the franchise tag considered elite money? I am against it no matter what, guy is a nut case.

All u guys are in love with geno he is an ok qb if I can get a better one u go get him he isn't luck or Wilson therefore treat him as such he isn't a elite qb so if u can upgrade u do

Of course, but Cutler isn't an upgrade in any way, shape, or form.

Isnt the franchise tag considered elite money? I am against it no matter what, guy is a nut case.

The tag is def elite money, but my 12-15 figure was based off of what we paid Sanchez, which I thought was more on the normal side. I guess not. I think Cutler would be an upgrade, we have the money, and unless something terrible happens we are not going to be in position this year to draft a high quality QB. i would rather use our picks on playmakers and corners, because with a real QB this team would be hard to beat. Maybe Geno will be that guy but Cutler has a rocket for an arm which is tough to find.

There should be quite a few free agent QB's this year. Plus a million in the draft. Cutler has taken his team to the playoffs once since entering the league in 2006. I wouldn't want the Jets to give him mega-money. I would rather stick with Geno and use the money to build around him.

Anyone hoping that the Jets sign a FA QB this coming offseason should probabl forget that.  Here's the list of potentially available FAs according to http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=QB&Year=2014 :

Jay Cutler Bears $14,668,750

Michael Vick Eagles $7,500,000

Chad Henne Jaguars $3,375,000

Josh Freeman Vikings $2,833,334

Shaun Hill Lions $2,750,000

Charlie Whitehurst Chargers $1,525,000

David Garrard Jets $1,000,000

Rex Grossman Redskins $960,000

Dan Orlovsky Buccaneers $905,000

Kellen Clemens Rams $870,000

Josh McCown Bears $865,000

Luke McCown Saints $840,000

Derek Anderson Panthers $840,000

Seneca Wallace Packers $840,000

Tarvaris Jackson Seahawks $840,000

Jimmy Clausen Panthers $807,500

Trent Edwards Bears $715,000

Jordan Palmer Bears $715,000

Colt McCoy 49ers $702,500

Curtis Painter Giants $630,000

Rusty Smith Titans $630,000

Joe Webb Vikings $508,129

you probably wanted Brady Quinn out of the draft too...

Archived