Official 2013 Offseason Thread

CrazyCarl40

Let the hot stove season begin.  Here is a good free agent primer:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20131104/reiter-50-free-agents-cano-ellsbury-choo/?sct=hp_t1t_a3&eref=sihp

Should be an interesting offseason because a lot of what the Yankees are able to do hinges on A-Rod.

Red Sox pieced together a great team that no one expected to be great, Ben Cherington will have high expectations this offseason.

Also, we may see some expansion of the instant replay system and other changes too (plate collisions).

I disagree. 

Even if they are able to escape A-Rod's $25 million and they are true to being under the tax threshold, they will have around ~110 left with only 6 players signed.

It was always going to be if they want to make money or win.

I disagree. 

Even if they are able to escape A-Rod's $25 million and they are true to being under the tax threshold, they will have around ~110 left with only 6 players signed.

It was always going to be if they want to make money or win.

The Yankees are always going to be printing money. Issue is whether the Steinbrenners like their dad plow it back into the tem's personnel, tax threshjold be damned, or simply pocket the money to screw MLB out of luxury tax and see if they can field a decent team at a lower payroll.

Also there is an argument to be made that the economics of free agency have changed because every team tries to sign their young talent long term past free agency. Mike Trout grew up in NJ as a Yankee fan, but waiting for him to hit the market is foolish. The Angels are going to at some point tie him up with a long term deal. And really what's the point of overpaying Carlos Beltran?The free agent route is really not going to work as well any more. It's good to fill out the roster, but superstars are not getting to that point until they are old.

What the Yankees have to do is improve their drafting. And not firing Oppenheimer and Newman is really baffling.

The Yankees are always going to be printing money. Issue is whether the Steinbrenners like their dad plow it back into the tem's personnel, tax threshjold be damned, or simply pocket the money to screw MLB out of luxury tax and see if they can field a decent team at a lower payroll.

Also there is an argument to be made that the economics of free agency have changed because every team tries to sign their young talent long term past free agency. Mike Trout grew up in NJ as a Yankee fan, but waiting for him to hit the market is foolish. The Angels are going to at some point tie him up with a long term deal. And really what's the point of overpaying Carlos Beltran?The free agent route is really not going to work as well any more. It's good to fill out the roster, but superstars are not getting to that point until they are old.

What the Yankees have to do is improve their drafting. And not firing Oppenheimer and Newman is really baffling.

And that is my point.

The economics have changed.  There is a smarter brand of Steinbrenner (Hal) running the team who might view the Yankees bottom line with a business eye more so than George.

I have said it ad nauseam through the years when some of Yankee nation would rip the Pirates and Royals ownership for not spending their personal money to be competitive.  Even a billionaire would feel pain trying to compete with a team with a virtually unlimited budget every year when they are cutting personal checks for over a 100 million each year.

Sadly I can't disagree. I'd love to see Salty back but I don't think that's gonna happen either.

I would not mind if he was back, but think the money can be spent better in other places (Napoli).

It boils down to him or Lavarnaway.

They have Ross for another year.  See if Lavarnaway fulfills his promise while we still have a veteran presence.    Or, we trade Lavarnaway and ride Slaty until Swihart is ready.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Barring some snag, a nice upgrade for the Yankees.

It's 5 years 85 million with vesting option to bring it to 6 years 100 million.

Does this mean that Cano is gone? It's a solid upgrade but McCann doesn't cure all of their ills. They overpaid for a catcher with 8 seasons already and will be 30 to start 2014. Just my opinion. There was talks of him to the Sox but I didn't want him.

It's 5 years 85 million with vesting option to bring it to 6 years 100 million.

Does this mean that Cano is gone? It's a solid upgrade but McCann doesn't cure all of their ills. They overpaid for a catcher with 8 seasons already and will be 30 to start 2014. Just my opinion. There was talks of him to the Sox but I didn't want him.

I do not know if it means Cano is gone, but it lessens Cano's leverage.  McCann has decent power and a good bat.  Plus, his fieriness should be interesting in the rivalry.  

Once,  Teix leaves, he can switch to a 1B/DH guy.

I do not know if it means Cano is gone, but it lessens Cano's leverage.  McCann has decent power and a good bat.  Plus, his fieriness should be interesting in the rivalry.  

Once,  Teix leaves, he can switch to a 1B/DH guy.

You mean Tex retires.

Sox get Pierzynski for a year to bridge to their minor league talent. Not a terrible deal for one year. Not my favorite guy ever though. We'll see. Hope he can grow a beard.

The biggest douchebag with the douchebaggiest of teams. Makes sense.

Archived