Retro Tech question - troubleshooting a dos app

JerryK

Hi all,

First, I'd upgrade the app to windows if I could.  It drives a cool machine I just obtained which is connected to the PC, and I don't have the source. The mfr won't talk without big $$$

Visually, the app is simply a dos-screen of fake buttons and knobs.  really simple!

Short version:   The app switches the resolution to something my monitor can't handle.  The monitor just says *unsupported resolution*   ...I need to figure out what resolution it's attempting!

• Theres no ascii/config file that will tell me what resolution it's switching to.
  • Tried 2 different lcd monitors and a 17" crt monitor.  Each fail, displaying their version of that error.
  • The icon's properties (dos settings) are ignored.  The app switches on it's own.  If I try to force it to run in a window, the app splashes an error and quits.

Is there a profiler-type app that would shadow the session at runtime and log the attempted resolution change?

Vague post, Did you buy some kind of computer controlled sex toy?

hehe no.  I was perusing through MSU's surplus store and stumbled on my winter tech project.  I got a good deal on it because they didn't realize 'SEM' means 'Scanning Electron Microscope'.

As for my issue, Turns out the app runs at a funky resolution: 1024x800.  No LCD monitor on earth can do that resolution, but I found a CRT that can do it so I'm on to other issues.  The screen still goes blank but now I see a stack overflow errror.  Probably a driver/hardware thing, but I can handle that.

http://s908.photobucket.com/user/lincolnlog/media/SEM/PA080724_zps45e0ada1-1.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

hehe no.  I was perusing through MSU's surplus store and stumbled on my winter tech project.  I got a good deal on it because they didn't realize 'SEM' means 'Scanning Electron Microscope'.

As for my issue, Turns out the app runs at a funky resolution: 1024x800.  No LCD monitor on earth can do that resolution, but I found a CRT that can do it so I'm on to other issues.  The screen still goes blank but now I see a stack overflow errror.  Probably a driver/hardware thing, but I can handle that.

http://s908.photobucket.com/user/lincolnlog/media/SEM/PA080724_zps45e0ada1-1.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

cool, wtf are you gonna do with it?

Hi all,

First, I'd upgrade the app to windows if I could.  It drives a cool machine I just obtained which is connected to the PC, and I don't have the source. The mfr won't talk without big $$$

Visually, the app is simply a dos-screen of fake buttons and knobs.  really simple!

Short version:   The app switches the resolution to something my monitor can't handle.  The monitor just says *unsupported resolution*   ...I need to figure out what resolution it's attempting!

• Theres no ascii/config file that will tell me what resolution it's switching to.
  • Tried 2 different lcd monitors and a 17" crt monitor.  Each fail, displaying their version of that error.
  • The icon's properties (dos settings) are ignored.  The app switches on it's own.  If I try to force it to run in a window, the app splashes an error and quits.

Is there a profiler-type app that would shadow the session at runtime and log the attempted resolution change?

Man it has been forever but wouldn't a utility like DClip be a help here for you?

Man it has been forever but wouldn't a utility like DClip be a help here for you?

Thanks Max, I'll look into it.  The app runs but now I'm getting a blank screen and I think it's hung waiting for a driver or hardware to respond.  The issue can't be graphics because the app is too simple -- just a static screen of knobs and buttons.  

The holy grail would be a 'wrapper' app that could run the executable and log all communication attempts, driver usage, etc.

Another question, project/web related:   What's the best web app to blog my project?   Wordpress/Blogger/Tumblr/ etc?

I'd like:

• An interface that might show thumbnails of the last 10 (or whatever) entries so people can jump to different points in the project.
  • Comments so people can offer advice, or tell me I'm crazy (which I already know :)    )
  • Not too interested in ability to monetize, but if it became popular I might like a few links to seed my son's college fund.

Another question, project/web related:   What's the best web app to blog my project?   Wordpress/Blogger/Tumblr/ etc?

I'd like:

• An interface that might show thumbnails of the last 10 (or whatever) entries so people can jump to different points in the project.
  • Comments so people can offer advice, or tell me I'm crazy (which I already know :)    )
  • Not too interested in ability to monetize, but if it became popular I might like a few links to seed my son's college fund.

Wordpress.

Archived